Good News! Five Million Gmail Passwords Leak - Update 3

Pages PREV 1 2

All the posts in that Reddit link have been removed for some reason; may as well delete the link and possibly also the whole paragraph since that kind of puts the whole thing into suspicion.

Devin Connors:

I don't think you're in any danger from using that first IsLeaked link. All it did was search text for an email address that would have already been on the list. That said, I did re-link to KnowEm, which is a known, reputable security firm.

-Devin Connors
Tech Editor

Thanks! :)

You know, it could've been false alarm, but as the saying goes: A tinfoil all day keeps the lizards away!

Looks like none of my ten gmail accounts are on the list. In any event, I would only truly be concerned about two of them. The rest I couldn't care less about.

These were compiled by some kid that sniffed old sites under the impression that people use the same password for everything. So the passwords are valid for a site but not necessarily the email accounts. Google was not hacked, and these did not leak. Sure some will actually be hits, but the majority are not only a waste of time for the potential user of such information, but should be a great way to get caught. The kid was hoping to sell these, and considering where it happened, he probably made $50, and has little chance of police coming after him.

If you have not changed your password in the last 5 years, AND you use the same password for everything, then this is your wake-up call.

4Aces:

If you have not changed your password in the last 5 years, AND you use the same password for everything, then this is your wake-up call.

THIS! This is really a case where your mother or father might be affected. Or the non technical kid in the class yet so many others know how to be just one step safer.

Not all use password generators and password safes but at least one thing even old people learn is not to use the same password everywhere.

Qizx:
snipped degfinition of leak

I know what the word means, it still makes no sense the way its used in the title. Passwords cannot disclose secret information - passwords are inanimate. thus, only the first definition can be used, which obviuosy does not make sense in context. "Five million Gmail passwords leak" is a nonsensical sentence.

Agayek:
-snip-

That XKCD was actually proved wrong by a professor of cryptography, if I can find the post, I'll link it.

Edit: Here you go. I was wrong about his quals, he is an honourary PhD for his contributions to cryptography.

OT: This is why 2-step authentication is a good thing. Still, it would be nice if Google could keep their act together.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.