Smash Bros. Fan With Early Copy Streams Gameplay, Leaks Characters - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Smash Bros. Fan With Early Copy Streams Gameplay, Leaks Characters - Update

duck hunt dog super smash bros

Super Smash Bros. streamer Yushako is currently live streaming his early copy of the 3DS game.

Before you go any further, be warned that this post contains very heavy spoilers!

Update 2: Yushako has unlocked Jigglypuff and R.O.B, fully completing the roster (at least for now).

Update: Yushako has just unlocked Bowser Jr., and it looks like his alternate costumes are actually all seven of the Koopalings.

Original Story: A twitch.tv streamer by the name of Yushako was lucky enough to nab a copy of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS a couple days early, and has decided to stream is experience for the rest of us, showing off the game's gameplay, and spoiling just about every "secret" character.

First up, that complete list of leaked characters we saw pop up early looks like it will turn out to be completely true, as all of the characters it leaked have been among the characters revealed by Yushako. So far, they include:

• Duck Hunt Dog
  • Wario
  • Gannondorf
  • Ness
  • Falco
  • Mr. Game and Watch
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Black Pit
  • Jigglypuff
  • R.O.B

He also revealed a couple of new stages, such as a retro F-Zero stage, and an EarthBound-themed stage.

Be sure to check out his stream, which he should be running until he either falls asleep... or Nintendo shuts it down.

Source: Twitch

Stream has been flagged, but I think this is confirmation of the leak a month ago.

I really wanna know how Duck Hunt Dog plays...

Really wanna see how Duck Hunt Dog plays, but sadly my workplace has re-blocked Twitch (it used to be blocked, then for some reason it became unblocked for a couple of months, then about a week ago it became blocked again)

Duck Hunt Dog, brilliant stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing another Duck Hunt game, get a new Zapper and have it up on the big screen!

Fasckira:
Duck Hunt Dog, brilliant stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing another Duck Hunt game, get a new Zapper and have it up on the big screen!

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty surprised they didn't do this with the Wii

And Man:

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty surprised they didn't do this with the Wii

I think there was a Duck Hunt-like minigame in Wii Play.

Now, who else thinks that the final smash for Duck Hunt Dog will be essentially his game but shooting the other players?

Dammit. I knew he was a long shot because his series hasn't put out a good game in a long time, but I'm genuinely pissed that freaking Duck Hunt Dog beat Isaac (Golden Sun) as a playable character in Smash Bros.

Ah well, a man can dream. And there's always the hope for DLC...

Zepherus14:
Now, who else thinks that the final smash for Duck Hunt Dog will be essentially his game but shooting the other players?

From what I read (on VGChartz) His Final Smash is a Group of Ducks flying Up in a V Pattern, followed by a bunch of Wild Gunmen (From the NES Shooter Wild Gunman), shooting whoever remains on the ground.

And from Gameplay I watched on Youtube, Duck Hunt Dog pretty much has a bunch of shout outs to NES Shooters that used the Zapper (Makes sense, since he was the first game)...

Mr.Mattress:

Zepherus14:

From what I read (on VGChartz) His Final Smash is a Group of Ducks flying Up in a V Pattern, followed by a bunch of Wild Gunmen (From the NES Shooter Wild Gunman), shooting whoever remains on the ground.

And from Gameplay I watched on Youtube, Duck Hunt Dog pretty much has a bunch of shout outs to NES Shooters that used the Zapper (Makes sense, since he was the first game)...

That's actually pretty good if that's the theme they are going with. But so help me, if his laugh isn't in there... someone's going to get a hurt real bad :O

Nintendo must be pissed, what legal stuff can they hit him with? Also I wish he'd play the wii fit chick, she's cute.

If he legitimately got a copy of it, there's not much they can do.

MrPhyntch:
Dammit. I knew he was a long shot because his series hasn't put out a good game in a long time, but I'm genuinely pissed that freaking Duck Hunt Dog beat Isaac (Golden Sun) as a playable character in Smash Bros.

I'm more annoyed that Dark Pit is a character when he should have just been an alternate skin. Dr. Mario (if confirmed) and Lucina too.

He just unlocked Dr. Mario. I guess chalk another one up for confirmed.

I just want another Sonic the Hedgehog character, please. Tails, Knuckles, Dr. Robotnik, I'll even settle for Amy or Shadow. Is that really too much to ask for?

Two third party characters? From the same franchise? I doubt it.

Mr.Mattress:
Stream has been flagged, but I think this is confirmation of the leak a month ago.

Has it? I was just watching it a mere 10 minutes ago, and it's still going.

I honestly thought it was another TacoNews. I mean the duck hunt dog? That's just desperate. That's a whole new level of beating a dead horse, Nintendo. Why not have I Am Error? Or just the Nintendo logo?
The more I heat about this game, the less I like it.

Dragonbums:

Mr.Mattress:

Has it? I was just watching it a mere 10 minutes ago, and it's still going.

That's weird, when I first entered it it said "This Video has been flagged and is being reviewed".

But now it does appear to be re-airing, so the mess must have been fixed.

Silentpony:
I honestly thought it was another TacoNews. I mean the duck hunt dog? That's just desperate. That's a whole new level of beating a dead horse, Nintendo. Why not have I Am Error? Or just the Nintendo logo?

So they're beating a horse by putting a character who was in one game in the past? Huh.

Why so so many people hate Duck Hunt Dog. I literally have not seen one legit reason. I know many people that will appreciate his inclusion, as he is a very recognizable character. Yeah, it is a bit of a ridiculous character, but it's Smash, so none of it makes sense anyways. DHD looks to be a great new original character, and a (finally) recognizable NES character to most people (unlike IC, or ROB)

It isn't desperate. They're trying some new, and fairly humorous. I definitely know he'll be a potential secondary for me.

Silentpony:

Really?

I don't see what is so bad about it, if they can have Game & Watch and ROB(is ROB even in this one?) then why not the Duck Hunt dog? I honestly think it's hilarious and can't wait to see what they did with his moveset.

Tank207:

Silentpony:

Really?

I don't see what is so bad about it, if they can have Game & Watch and ROB(is ROB even in this one?) then why not the Duck Hunt dog? I honestly think it's hilarious and can't wait to see what they did with his moveset.

It seems to me he's a sort of retro compilation character like Pacman with the duck being used as a assist like Banjo and Kazooie. I don't know if the zapper is part of his move set though, it seems likely.

Ugh. I dislike how much representation Kid Icarus gets. Blatant Nepotism from Sakurai I say

However those Koopalings look fucking tops. I think I know who I'm maining from the looks of it. Roy's our Boy.

ToastiestZombie:

Tank207:

Silentpony:
SNIP

Really?

It seems to me he's a sort of retro compilation character like Pacman with the duck being used as a assist like Banjo and Kazooie. I don't know if the zapper is part of his move set though, it seems likely.

I'm just not convinced Duck Hunt Dog has the...fanbase? Not ever sure if that's the right term. It just seems...cheap, you know? At this point, just add more Pokemon or make up a new character. The new ones, Wii Fit lady, Duck Hunt Dog...it just seems lazy. What if Street Fighter add the background Chef? Or Mortal Kombat added their logo with hands and legs?
This whole thing reminds me of the old Transformers's games where the enemy bosses were literally just the Decepticon logo. Not a Transformer, just the logo.
Game&Watch was cute as he was a retro character. Yay retro! But it looses its novelty if half the cast are retro characters. It just shows how stagnant Nintendo has been that they have to go all the way back to Duck Hunt to find new characters.

Personally, I would have gone with a Blue Shell. Blue Shell would have been an amazing character!

Sooo...
No Klonoa?
Damn it.
There's always next time I guess. *sob*

Silentpony:

ToastiestZombie:

Tank207:

Really?

I'm just not convinced Duck Hunt Dog has the...fanbase? Not ever sure if that's the right term. It just seems...cheap, you know? At this point, just add more Pokemon or make up a new character. The new ones, Wii Fit lady, Duck Hunt Dog...it just seems lazy. What if Street Fighter add the background Chef? Or Mortal Kombat added their logo with hands and legs?
This whole thing reminds me of the old Transformers's games where the enemy bosses were literally just the Decepticon logo. Not a Transformer, just the logo.
Game&Watch was cute as he was a retro character. Yay retro! But it looses its novelty if half the cast are retro characters. It just shows how stagnant Nintendo has been that they have to go all the way back to Duck Hunt to find new characters.

Personally, I would have gone with a Blue Shell. Blue Shell would have been an amazing character!

I don't personally think it is lazy. If anything the Duck Hunt Dog and the Wii Fitt Trainer are creative as hell. I mean, who would have thought they would part of this game? I don't think it is the same as just putting their logo as a character (though I admit the idea of it made me laugh pretty hard). I get it though, most people want their dream characters like MewTwo and Ridley. So seeing a bunch of old school joke characters can be frustrating. However, I think should be more upset about the clones personally, mainly Dr.Mario and Dark Pitt. Now that's pretty lazy coping movesets and animations like that. Well, I hope they are a least a little different.

Also the Blue Shell is actually an item in this game. So it has no chance being part of the roaster (this time anyway).

OT: Call me a fool, but want to just play this thing. I don't care who is on the roaster at this point.

Xan Krieger:
Nintendo must be pissed, what legal stuff can they hit him with?

They can't hit him with anything. They would need to go after whoever sold him the copy. Now if he is an employee and just took an early copy from his place of employment that changes things tremendously, but he claims he was just sold it early.

Liquidprid3:
Why so so many people hate Duck Hunt Dog. I literally have not seen one legit reason.

For many, including myself, the issue is less "Duck Hunt Dog" and more the fact that his inclusion means that something else was looked over/removed to put him in. Generally, the idea is "But I wanted x character instead!" While this may sound petty, there's a lot that people want out of their characters, and DHD basically fulfills none of it.

We haven't seen a Duck Hunt game in a LONG time, and have no reason to expect one in the near future. The game is not a "core" game (people only know of it because it was an add-on on the original Super Mario Bros). The game does not need interest to boost sales or rebuild knowledge for a future game. DHD was never a playable character. DHD has no reason to be in a fighting game. The list goes on.

Remember the first big announcement of new Characters? Wii Fit Trainer, AC Villager, and Mega Man. You know who people ragged on? Wii Fit Trainer. Sure, she developed her fanbase quickly, but a lot of people did not like her inclusion. And, by the above metric, it's reasonable. How many of the above conditions does Trainer meet compared to ACV or Mega Man? WFT fits one of them, whereas Mega Man and even ACV fit most or all of them.

But people got over WFT quickly, because there were still 20+ characters to reveal. While the announcement here is so fresh it's hard to tell when we'll get over it, but I think it's gonna last, because we've reached the end of our line.

The hate isn't only for that dog, either. Paulentina, Baby Bowser and Rosalina are annoying. Dr Mario and Dark Pit not being reskins are freaking terrible choices. It's just that all of the hate for the roster is coming out in that one dog, simply because he's a great example of what the hell people are upset with on the roster. Same thing happened with ROB in Brawl, it should not be surprising that it's happening here too.

Silentpony:

ToastiestZombie:
Snip

Why are you comparing Duck Hunt Dog to shit like the Blue Shell? I don't get it.

MrPhyntch:

The hate isn't only for that dog, either. Paulentina, Baby Bowser and Rosalina are annoying. Dr Mario and Dark Pit not being reskins are freaking terrible choices. It's just that all of the hate for the roster is coming out in that one dog, simply because he's a great example of what the hell people are upset with on the roster. Same thing happened with ROB in Brawl, it should not be surprising that it's happening here too.

Palutena, Bowser Jr and Rosalina are fine additions, they're from over-represented franchises sure but from the gameplay I've seen they're interesting characters. People just don't know what they want with Smash rosters, they don't want clones but they want Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf, they don't want swordsman but they want Isaac from Golden Sun, they think Wii Fit Trainer and DHD are too out there yet they want Snake, Warioware's Ashley and Rayman. All the while ignoring newcomers such as Mega-man, Pac-man, Little Mac, Villager, Shulk, Greninja and Miis because they don't fit the shit-roster point of view.

Duck Hunt Dog objectively? Eh it was an okay game with a incredibly okay peripheral that came with the Phoenix Down of the game industry super mario bros. Personally? Yes, this is a character you really needed to bring up, but as an asisst or as a retro stage, not a whole character for gods sake, there are so many other options that could be argued, especially the games that are successful only in the east or games that do well critically but need help pushing the sales. Do I want Klonoa? Yes, but only because I think the dog is a BAD choice, I don't mind losing a good character for a good character. I'd be just as happy if say Lloyd from the Tales series most memorable game for many people was present, or anyone who shows clear thought and consideration into the large pool of possible additions.....speaking of which..

What's the character tally at now(character not reskins)? I thought sakurai said he was trimming the roster, but it seems pretty damn big now, not sure if it overtakes Brawl though.

MrPhyntch:

Yeah I've wanted Isaac in there for such a long time too. However, I think it's neat to have the Duck Hunt Dog, it's just so unexpected. Now having Dark Pit and possibly Dr. Mario as separate characters over Isaac, or other new characters? That is kind of messed up. Was anyone really clamoring for Dr. Mario to return?

ProfMcStevie:

What's the character tally at now(character not reskins)? I thought sakurai said he was trimming the roster, but it seems pretty damn big now, not sure if it overtakes Brawl though.

It's definitely past Brawl now. Just on the Smash Bros. site alone there are 39 separate characters, not including the others that are to be announced officially. Plus there are the other skins like having Olimar and Alf, along with a few others that will add even more "characters" to the game.

Brawl had 35 characters just for reference. Having Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Zelda/Sheik as separate characters certainly helped boost the roster.

Roster is much bigger than Brawl. Including the clones and Mii Fighters, I think we've hit 51, and Brawl's was...34? 39? Regardless, Brawl was under 40 characters.

As far as this roster goes, I'm mostly okay with it. I'd have picked a different Pokemon than Greninja (although he is fun to use), and I'd definitely would have included Ridley on it. But the characters we did get are mostly great. The only exception is Dark Pit...the bias is so incredibly strong with his inclusion here. And the worst part is basically none of the Kid Icarus content is from the original, only Uprising.

I'm actually fine with Dr. Mario. Sure, he probably should've been a costume, but we now have a Mario with FLUDD and a Mario with the Tornado. It's a fun way to have pre-Brawl and post-Brawl Mario in the game, while bringing back a somewhat-popular character from Melee.

I'm annoyed they have the rights to Rayman only to use him as a trophy and not a character, though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here