Silent Hills Concept Trailer: You May Never Sleep Again

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Silent Hills Concept Trailer: You May Never Sleep Again

That's not right. That's not right AT ALL.

Yes, this is that same Silent Hills that Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro are working on. No, we don't have a release date yet. Yes, this is fresh from Tokyo Game Show 2014. JUST WATCH THE DAMN CONCEPT TRAILER.

The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus plays the title role, but we don't see him here, and really, we know as little about this as we did before. Except that it looks ... I don't know what the word is. It's probably German, and sounds like exploding barbed wire. But it looks like that.

There's loose talk that Silent Hills may be released in episodic format, not unlike Telltale's The Walking Dead. However it's very early days, and nothing has been decided.

"Originally we were thinking of making a game that would make you pee your pants," said Kojima, "But at this point we've changed our minds, and now we're aiming for a game that will make you s*** your pants."

He wasn't kidding.

Source: Eurogamer

I am so conflicted.. I love Kojima. But I hate horror. I can't even watch that trailer, don't have the guts. ;_;

That wasn't that scary, actually. No build up, no pacing. Good atmosphere, I'll give them that, but come on! The ghosts were so freaking excited to be on screen! And whats was with the blurring during horror elements? Don't tell me your taking from the Amnesia series and implimenting a sanity mechanic. I loved the Amnesia games, but that sanity bit was the worst part of the first one!

And silent hill is supposed to tailor all the monsters to fit your personal sins and fears. As both the dude and lady monster were headless, am I to assume the protagonist is afaird of headless people? Gee, who isn't?!
I want my jimmies rustled, Hideo, not left thinking 'this seems a lot like Homecoming.'

Final note, this one positive: I do like the idea of 1st person silent hill. That's neat.

Roofstone:
I am so conflicted.. I love Kojima. But I hate horror. I can't even watch that trailer, don't have the guts. ;_;

It's not that bad...

Visually, it's definitely a combination of the two and definitely has a creep factor to it. But I'm worried about the game's mechanics and how the character is driven forward. For the most part, you never really see how the main character is threatened in a way that nudges them forward. Hell, when the walls start turning into, let's say, maggots, there's no indication that there's anything worth panicking about or any indication that the main character is as afraid as the situation should make them be. Maybe this might be better played in immerse VR such as the occulus rift?

Still, the game is a ways off in development and this is more concept than application, so let's see what happens.

I'm getting a very heavy old school PS2 horror vibe from this trailer. More than Silent Hill it reminds me of games like Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose.

I just hope they don't include any of that 'Ghost suddenly grabbing you from behind' shit from the P.T. demo. That's just annoying.

OK so..is this just for ps4 or what? Cause I keep hearing it is, yet I don't see any PS4 logos on any of the trailers.

Silentpony:
That wasn't that scary, actually. No build up, no pacing. Good atmosphere, I'll give them that, but come on! The ghosts were so freaking excited to be on screen! And whats was with the blurring during horror elements? Don't tell me your taking from the Amnesia series and implimenting a sanity mechanic. I loved the Amnesia games, but that sanity bit was the worst part of the first one!

And silent hill is supposed to tailor all the monsters to fit your personal sins and fears. As both the dude and lady monster were headless, am I to assume the protagonist is afaird of headless people? Gee, who isn't?!
I want my jimmies rustled, Hideo, not left thinking 'this seems a lot like Homecoming.'

Final note, this one positive: I do like the idea of 1st person silent hill. That's neat.

Well it is a teaser. It's not supposed to show what gameplay will actually be like. It's more like a highlights reel. It's all stuff taken out of context to show the higher ups that Kojima can deliver. Plus it looks good to the bullet-point minded tradeshow people.

Hm... as a concept... it's interesting. First-person styled horror game would be a nice change for slightly less-clunky Silent Hills controls. That said, I do agree with what's been said. The fact the video is literally flooded with ghosts and monsters makes me wonder what kind of horror this game is shooting for. Are they actually going for the good subtle approach and this trailer is just meant to show us the assortment of the types of creatures we'll see? Or is the trailer indicative of how the game will look where we'll have monsters up the ass all over.

This is why I generally hate cinematic / non-gameplay trailers.

Ignoring all that, I did enjoy what P.T. showed and I'm looking forward to seeing where they carry that to. If that is more indicative of what they're doing than the trailer, it shows they have a generally good idea of how to do horror right and we just need to see them put it to work in a full game.

No Norman Reedus? That may be a good thing...I was worried they'd try to play up the celebrity role early on for a little publicity.

The trailer felt a little bit like an amusement ride, but geez, was it eerie and unsettling. I have to lump my opinion with the others and say this felt a bit too crowded for Silent Hill.

Also: drr drr drr...

call me interested. looks creepy and leaves you a lot for the imagination.

Karloff:
The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus plays the title role...

"Title Role?" He plays the Hills? Wow, I mean I've seen some great stuff out of all this but that's a gutsy plot twist.

Ah, I kid, and this stuff looks delicious. The "teasers" thus far aren't perhaps so scary in and of themselves, but they're certainly hinting at the kind of reality-bending madness that looks like it'll be amazing to play. I don't own a PS4 yet, and I've never been that into Silent Hill, but this right here is a system seller for me.

"It looks German"? What?

Anyway, I like some of the quieter parts, but most of it is honestly the typical jump scare horror plus disturbing, semi-sexual imagery. I'm not sure that's enough to capture the mood of the old games, especially the second one, although it certainly seems a lot more imaginative than, say, the first Silent Hill movie, which is a big plus. And del Toro is pretty great at weird and imaginative imagery, so I think he could pull this off. To be fair, a trailer will usually have a lot of action, so it's unfair to judge Silent Hills based on the amount of action and chasing here, it might focus mostly on the more calm parts anyway.

One thing I really liked was that bit with the door. We often see doors "exploding outward" and slamming into the opposite wall or onto the floor, but to actually reveal something behind that door was a very, very nice and otherworldly twist.

Silentpony:

I'm with you. And I've done the demo, too, which was boring as shit because it lacked the sense of dread from the good Silent Hill games (the sense that comes from feeling like the monsters could get at you at any time) and it had very little build-up to any of its jumpscares, yet despite having no build-up the jumpscares were so telegraphed I spotted them coming and was always prepared for them.

And, actually, I felt the sanity mechanic in Amnesia worked pretty well, you know, for a sanity mechanic. It was set up in a way that it prevented you from just hiding in the dark for as long as you wanted, so there was a bit of tension when hiding. Stay too long in the dark and you'll panic and the monster will find you. It forced you to move quickly, sometimes putting you in positions where you *had* to run.

Or, at least I think that was the theory. In practice, I feel it was probably not as well implemented as it could have been because it was really easy to work around after you got used to it.

Given the name "Silent Hills" and some of what we've seen in this trailer I get the idea that this game will be exploring a little more in depth the idea that every person experiences Silent Hill differently.
As long as they avoid the stupid "Parallel dimensions" navel gazing that SH: Revelations tried to pull off I'll probably be fine.

My only other concern is that they don't find a halfway decent reason for one protagonist to be experiencing the variations. One of my many many many pet peeves with SH: Homecomings is that the versions of Silent Hill were never tailored towards the primary protagonist, he just stumbled ass backward into the personal hells of other people.

Still I enjoyed the trailer quite a bit, the monsters look sufficiently creepy and I appreciated the hinted Dark Silent Hill transitions(The Swarm of Insects and Bloody hand prints/spatter.) It's nice to see something other than the burning wallpaper transition we've been getting.

Skeleon:
"It looks German"? What?

Not "It looks German", he meant "it looks like something that I don't have a word for, but the word is probably German", due to how harsh German can sound to the English speaking ear.

Malbourne:
No Norman Reedus? That may be a good thing...I was worried they'd try to play up the celebrity role early on for a little publicity.

The trailer felt a little bit like an amusement ride, but geez, was it eerie and unsettling. I have to lump my opinion with the others and say this felt a bit too crowded for Silent Hill.

Also: drr drr drr...

How much you wanna bet Junji Ito has involvement.

OT. Okay the Playable Teaser piqued my interest, this got my full attention. I'm liking the atmosphere and literally jumped at that giant arm-thing. I really hope this game delivers, this will be what gets me to buy a PS4 or XBone.

JamesBr:

Skeleon:
"It looks German"? What?

Not "It looks German", he meant "it looks like something that I don't have a word for, but the word is probably German", due to how harsh German can sound to the English speaking ear.

And how the Germans have a word for everything, much like the French, especially weird emotions that are hard to conceptualize until you experience them.

So by this trailer, I can assume the game's actual story will follow along the lines of the radio broadcast in P.T. - the main character was either victim to a mass-murderer who wiped out his family, or he himself is the murderer. I like the otherworld transition, going from decrepit hallway, to insects, then the doorway. The side with the fans looked pulled right out of SH3 - the swarm puzzle. Nice throwback with a bit of misdirection for "fans" of the series. I just hope that the whole game doesn't lead you around like this trailer did.

RJ Dalton:
I'm with you. And I've done the demo, too, which was boring as shit because it lacked the sense of dread from the good Silent Hill games (the sense that comes from feeling like the monsters could get at you at any time) and it had very little build-up to any of its jumpscares, yet despite having no build-up the jumpscares were so telegraphed I spotted them coming and was always prepared for them.

What monsters were those though? The kind that hobble along the street and are telegraphed by the radio static? If you had said Resident Evil 3 I would've said yes, but the fear in Silent Hill hardly ever came from the monsters. They were generally presented as the twisted inhabitants that just roamed around, adding to the dark nature of the town, but certainly not by way of physical danger.

JamesBr:

Ah, I see. Although I never really understood that sentiment. It seems to be primarily based on parodies of what German sounds like and requires the comedian to shout loudly to even try to get the point across, probably in homage to people like Hitler giving loud and harsh speeches. I've often wondered what normal German speech actually sounds like to foreigners.

Anyway, I'd be hard-pressed to find a specific word to describe it. "Alptraumwelt" might work, but that just means "nightmare world" and thus isn't that special.

Remus:
And how the Germans have a word for everything, much like the French, especially weird emotions that are hard to conceptualize until you experience them.

That, too, I'm uncertain about. I often hear the example of "Schadenfreude" being used, but isn't that adequately described by "gloating"?

Holy shit!, that certainly looks like Guillermo Del Toro all right, I mean the character designs and overall aesthetics.

As for the tone and atmosphere... well, it's waaaaay too early to judge, but in some regards, they absolutely nail the old school horror present in the PS2 era horror games, but it doesn't feel like Silent Hill for now.

But I guess that's the goal, but also raises the question, why use the Silent Hill name if they wanted to do something else?, I guess Konami and Kojima wouldn't have caved in if it wasn't an already established IP :/

I love the ending how he look both ways and he's like "certain death or stair way to hell?" I'm really hyped for this game because both Kojima and del Toro are amongst my favorites :)

For me the scariest part of Silent Hill games are the parts where your in the real world. Moving forward in the game knowing any second those sirens could start and everything goes to hell. Nonstop creepy stuff just makes you immune to it after a while. You tune out all the weird whispering and things moving because you have seen it loads already. Anyway, its still to early to tell what the game will be like, but i am very interested in learning more.

Right, I hear that woman's scream everywhere (at 01:03). Is it like the female Wilhelm Scream or something?

I think the only thing that's making some people not "feel" it is the lack of Akira Yamoaka. Add some of his music to the trailer or teaser and everything would be golden. His music is just that good and essential to the franchise.

RJ Dalton:

Silentpony:
SNIP

SNIP

What I didn't like about the sanity blurry bits was that it was the games almost cheap way of saying we were scared, even if i, the player, wasn't scared. It took me out of the story when the dude was sitting in the dark scared out of his mind, while I was sitting in a completely dark room to play, totally fine.
I ended up saying "well shit, i guess this is a scary part" too many times to keep the momentum up.
Also it would have been soooo much scarier if, for example, there was no headless ghost when the ball rolls into the room. We KNOW a ghost is in there, obviously, but it's so much worse not knowing where it is, rather than it pulling a centipede BOO. Or the headless woman monster. Drop the monster and replace it with just a shadowy woman. Keep the screams, keep the child ghost murder, keep the flickering lights and closing doors and even the blood. But we knOw what would happen if the monster catches you. Crush, smash, bleed, death. Threatening, yes, but not scary. Imagine what a normal woman, who you can't see well and just killed a playing child, would do. That is way scarier, because it lets the imagination do the work for you. Everyone knows a giant monster crushes you. It's the trope.
Too many people mix up threatening and scary. Physical harm is scary, sometimes, but not all the time. Shadows of the Colossus. Very threatening, not scary. Doom, likewise. Amnesia, both. Silent Hill 2, scary as all fuck! Little in the way of threat. The monsters were basically wind-up toys to keep the bits between puzzles and story interesting. The fear came from being utterly alone and the sense of dread knowing the town is toying with you, not just trying to kill you. In this new trailer, the doors lock to scare the player into thinking it's a trap or something. In SH2, the doors are already locked and you're just dancing to the town's tune the whole time. and right when the dude looks down the hallway to confirm the ghost is still coming(normal woman ghost, not headless trying too hard ghost) have her disappear, but keep the screams and flickering lights. Now we panic, because we don't know how close she is, rather than seeing a giant clear as day monster shambling towards you. Thus the true essence of fear: panicked helplessness.

Silentpony:

Mayabe the main character worked at a hospital and lobotomized people, pretty much figuratively beheading them.

I agree with some of what has been said. There was so much going on and it was all right there happening in your face. The thing that made the good Silent Hill games good was atmosphere. The fact that a lot of times the place was actually empty. But the ambient sound was creepy as crap and you could never *really* be sure when some abomination was about to try to tear you into pieces. It didn't try to be scary and make you "s*** your pants" it filled you with a sense of dread that screwed with your mind. Can the game be scary in its own right even if its not necessarily like that? Sure. Does it have the potential to turn into one of the Dead Space sequels? Definitely looks like it.

Casual Shinji:

RJ Dalton:

What monsters were those though? The kind that hobble along the street and are telegraphed by the radio static? If you had said Resident Evil 3 I would've said yes, but the fear in Silent Hill hardly ever came from the monsters. They were generally presented as the twisted inhabitants that just roamed around, adding to the dark nature of the town, but certainly not by way of physical danger.

Yeah, but see, the static thing worked really well in combination with the fog, because you never knew exactly where the monsters were. The static was the only clue you had that you were getting close and that was frequently unreliable, because it sometimes didn't start until you got really close and there were some monsters that didn't give any static at all until you got close enough to see them and make them come active. And, provided you were playing on easy mode, they could present a physical danger. They could get pretty intense at times. Especially when you had two or three together in one area, so when the static went off, it you would try to move a different way, trying to use the volume of static as a judge for how close you were, but suddenly you find that no direction you run makes the static go away and then, suddenly, you're surrounded. I've nearly shat myself a couple of times in Silent Hill 2 from those moments.
That said, I will give you that the monsters wouldn't have been very scary on their own without all of the other elements the games had to enhance the experience. But see, those qualities are what I find the demo and the trailer lack.

Silentpony:

RJ Dalton:

Silentpony:
SNIP

SNIP

Too many people mix up threatening and scary. Physical harm is scary, sometimes, but not all the time. Shadows of the Colossus. Very threatening, not scary. Doom, likewise. Amnesia, both. Silent Hill 2, scary as all fuck! Little in the way of threat. The monsters were basically wind-up toys to keep the bits between puzzles and story interesting. The fear came from being utterly alone and the sense of dread knowing the town is toying with you, not just trying to kill you. In this new trailer, the doors lock to scare the player into thinking it's a trap or something. In SH2, the doors are already locked and you're just dancing to the town's tune the whole time. and right when the dude looks down the hallway to confirm the ghost is still coming(normal woman ghost, not headless trying too hard ghost) have her disappear, but keep the screams and flickering lights. Now we panic, because we don't know how close she is, rather than seeing a giant clear as day monster shambling towards you. Thus the true essence of fear: panicked helplessness.

Where's that gif of Charles Foster Kane doing a slow clap. I need that gif for this.

The demo was horrifying. This... not so much.

The changes were so sudden, the creatures wanted to be RIGHT infront of our faces. In the demo, there were only two "ghosts" but the thing built up the tension so much that a mutiliated baby corpse and a woman were so much scarier than the giant arm thing in this trailer.

This really didn't scare me at all.... It's interesting but nothing scary.

My advice? They should go watch "Jacob's Ladder", hell, it was fuel for the first Silent Hill game and it never hurts to see what helped make the first one again.

dalek sec:
This really didn't scare me at all.... It's interesting but nothing scary.

My advice? They should go watch "Jacob's Ladder", hell, it was fuel for the first Silent Hill game and it never hurts to see what helped make the first one again.

"Jacob's Ladder" was the Silent Hill film we never got. I'm actually even a tad bummed out that they originally had a "boss fight" encounter with Jezebel planned for the film that they axed for budget reasons.

Still, the games weren't shy about admitting its influence in the games. Silent Hill 3 is practically one giant love letter to the film.

meh, five nights at freddy's is scarier. this just reminds me of why horror movies aren't working or rather haven't been working for the past decade. this is literally just throwing crap at you to see what can scare a person

That wasn't really all that "scary," atleast by my mark, but it was very surreal and perfectly inline with the kind of un-reality Silent Hill is supposed to be based in. Plus, it's just a proof of concept trailer so don't worry about it too much.
That aside, I'm still incredibly pshyched for this game! I've been pretty outspoken about what a work of genius P.T. is, and if they're somehow able to keep that kind of momentum going for the length of an entire game, with a properly paced story and some quiet time to break is up a bit (you need that false sense of security), then Silent Hills has the potential to be a goddess damned masterpiece!

Also, that Door flying off its hinges and smacking into an opposite wall to open the other way and become another door thing?
Awesome.

RaikuFA:

Silentpony:

Mayabe the main character worked at a hospital and lobotomized people, pretty much figuratively beheading them.

I can get behind that, but it does seem too...literal for Silent Hill. Like how about lanky, humanoid monsters in tattered hospital gowns, reeking of filth and soiling(can't clean themselves) covered in bed sores, and their faces are completely blank. Not emotionless, but literally no eye openings, no nose, no mouth. Featureless. And the only sound they make is a static hiss to represent the lackluster service they got (ie, nurses just leaving the in room tv on static, assuming the patient can't understand it anyway)

So it's a walking representation of his poor care for patients that needed exceptional care. They werent people to him, thus faceless. He didn't care for them, thus static noise and grotesque appearance. That seems more in line with SH, not just a screaming centipede ghost.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.