Fantastic Four Reboot Delayed Again

Fantastic Four Reboot Delayed Again

fantastic four delay

Fox delays the Josh Trank-directed superhero reboot for a second time

That no one has seen more than the tiniest teases of Fox's Fantastic Four reboot has been a Hollywood curiosity for awhile now, and it looks like the wait could be even longer: Buried amid the news about the Deadpool movie being set up for February 2016 were release-date changes to multiple other Fox projects, including Four being pushed from it's original June 19th 2015 spot to August 7th. The Michael Fassbender-starring Assassin's Creed adaptation that had originally claimed the August 7 spot has in turn been pushed to 2016 on the grounds that it will not be finished in time.

Four will reportedly be replaced in the June spot by Paper Towns, a young-adult romance Fox is hoping will perform similarly to its own The Fault in Our Stars in a similar spot this year. While a June opening-spot would traditionally be reserved for films a studio is confident will become major hits, August has often been thought of as a "dumping ground" for releases in which studios have little confidence. However, that logic was challenged this year when Marvel Studios' August-opening Guardians of The Galaxy became the #1 film of the year (so far).

The film, which is being directed by Chronicle's Josh Trank, has been the subject of much controversy among fans based on rumors of major deviations from the lore and aesthetic of the famous Marvel comic characters. Miles Teller stars as Mr. Fantastic, with Kate Mara as Invisible Woman, Jamie Bell as The Thing and Michael B. Jordan as The Human Torch.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Roger Corman's probably laughing his butt off right about now. :)

While I did enjoy Chronicle, am not overly fussed about this particular movie coming out.

Looking forward to Deadpool though

I'm still waiting for the day when Disney/Marvel says "Look guys, we've got more money than god. Here's a check, tell us how many 0's you want on it then give us our stuff back."

I still probably wouldn't be interested in seeing a Fantastic Four movie even if Marvel was at the helm, but I'd imagine they'd do a hell of a lot better of a job than Fox can.

Yes, Guardians did well in August. Will this new Fantastic Four flick also defy expectations?
Probably not. An August release date in conjunction with a lack of marketing doesn't inspire confidence. Then there's the baggage of being associated with the previous two movies. Also 20th Century Fox.

Perhaps we get an X-Men: First Class out of this, though. So who knows?

On a related note: I'm not quite sure how I should be feeling about Fox retaining the Fantastic Four franchise. On the one hand it prevents Disney/Marvel from incorporating the Fantastic Four, the Silver Surfer (whose inclusion in the Infinity Gauntlet inspired overarching plot of the current movies would make a lot of sense), Galactus, and the Skrulls into the MCU. On the other hand it also sort of forced Disney/Marvel to gamble on such things as GotG instead of milking the better known FF cash cow.

Dont know why they released a reboot if they have almost zero faith in it. Im sure that they just released it to keep the rights, but thing is they could have released something amazing instead of mediocre. Thing is they should just show footage or pictures of the team in action. Maybe they will look great when in costume and in action - they have only left fans with controversial changes and the negative fall out of that. Look at JJ, wernt that happy with him doing Star Wars but now he has shown photos of Falcon as a model etc it makes me more positive that it will turn out good.

Moving from June to August... so more or less they're trying to avoid direct competition with the other summer super hero flicks.

Great news! couple more delays and maybe this pile can be flat out canceled.

SonOfVoorhees:
Dont know why they released a reboot if they have almost zero faith in it. Im sure that they just released it to keep the rights, but thing is they could have released something amazing instead of mediocre. Thing is they should just show footage or pictures of the team in action. Maybe they will look great when in costume and in action - they have only left fans with controversial changes and the negative fall out of that. Look at JJ, wernt that happy with him doing Star Wars but now he has shown photos of Falcon as a model etc it makes me more positive that it will turn out good.

Because amazing takes a lot more work than mediocre and, as you said, they have zero faith in it. At this point, it became obvious they are doing it simply to keep the rights, so paying an indie director chump change to make this still works.

Huh. If they keep this up then Fox might just convince me that theyre listening to thier prospective audience.

Devin Barker:

Unlikely. The entire thing is already in post-production.

Some time between now and the movie's release Bob needs to do a Big Picture on the other Fantastic Four movie that was made just to keep the license.

C. Cain:

Devin Barker:

Unlikely. The entire thing is already in post-production.

Is it acceptable to just choose to live in a world where its not even being made?

Devin Barker:

Is it acceptable to just choose to live in a world where its not even being made?

There's plenty of people who live in their own little worlds. So, yes. Probably.
Personally, I hope it either bombs spectacularly like Green Lantern or turns out to be great. Just as long as it isn't boringly bland...

Last I saw, their Doctor Doom looked like he was dipped up to his neck in silver latex. Maybe the post-production necessary to make that look good requires more time than they originally budgeted. However good Chronicle was, it didn't have much in the way of visual flair. Unless they brought on somebody else to oversee the art development for the rest of the special effects, this movie is going to look terribly dull.

hermes200:

SonOfVoorhees:

Because amazing takes a lot more work than mediocre and, as you said, they have zero faith in it. At this point, it became obvious they are doing it simply to keep the rights, so paying an indie director chump change to make this still works.

Agreed. But you do wonder even keep the rights if they are just going to release mediocre movies that fail. Might as well put the work in to enable a successful series of movies and make some cash.

They just doing another of these to maintain the rights. Whatever you are expecting, expect less.

Oh for the love Odin, Fox, just sell the FF back to Marvel already! Focus on the X-Men, you're (mostly) good at those movies anyway!

Mangue Surfer:
They just doing another of these to maintain the rights. Whatever you are expecting, expect less.

I don't get it. I mean, I do, but it doesn't make sense to me. The consensus is obviously "Marvel is making all the monies in the world with the franchises that they still have, so we need to keep Fantastic out of their hands so that they can't make money with it."

What I don't get is, why are they thinking "making it cheap and shitty to keep Marvel from getting it back and making money off of it," as opposed to "make it well, so that we can get in the "money printing" business that marvel is in, while still accomplishing the task of keeping the rights from reverting,"?

Diana Kingston-Gabai:
Roger Corman's probably laughing his butt off right about now. :)

Best. Post. Ever.

So how late does this have to be before the rights revert back to Marvel/Disney or do they hold the rights as long as the film is in production?

tdylan:

Mangue Surfer:

I don't get it. I mean, I do, but it doesn't make sense to me. The consensus is obviously "Marvel is making all the monies in the world with the franchises that they still have, so we need to keep Fantastic out of their hands so that they can't make money with it."

What I don't get is, why are they thinking "making it cheap and shitty to keep Marvel from getting it back and making money off of it," as opposed to "make it well, so that we can get in the "money printing" business that marvel is in, while still accomplishing the task of keeping the rights from reverting,"?

If they could be like Marvel, they already would be like Marvel. Best gain a little more time until something wonderfull appear, a magical script or something.

SonOfVoorhees:
Dont know why they released a reboot if they have almost zero faith in it.

Because nobody wants to be the one who let Marvel make a gajillion dollars off the franchise they let slip away.

Making a good movie is hard. Stopping a good movie is easy.

SonOfVoorhees:

Agreed. But you do wonder even keep the rights if they are just going to release mediocre movies that fail.

Well, except they haven't had an FF movie fail yet.

tdylan:

Here's what I think. They don't want to make shitty movies. They just don't seem to be in position to get it right.

There seem to be some structural differences between Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox:

Marvel is semi-independent, or at least somewhat autonomous. Disney's extremely long leash allows Marvel to do their own thing; they can essentially do all the movies they want without having to worry about things like scheduling or marketing. The way they work with actors, directors, and filmmakers in general seems to slightly differ from Hollywood's standard procedure, too.

Fox, on the other hand, is a huge studio. They have to juggle way more disparate film projects at the same time, do the marketing, work out a release schedule for everything and so on. They simply can't concentrate on the task of establishing a shared universe.

Either way, why not give it back? The way I see it there's some sort of intense rivalry going on. Compare it to Marvel and Sony (owners of the Spider-Man franchise) who get along a lot better. Ever wondered why Spidey's on the cover of Marvel's 75th anniversary magazine? There's no member of the X-Men or Fantastic Four to be seen, even though both franchises are way more important to Marvel's history than the Guardians of the Galaxy (who feature prominently).

There are also more Spider-Man toys than there are FF or X-Men toys, even though the X-Men are the most popular comic book series in Marvel's stable. Sony and Marvel came to an agreement that gives Marvel all the rights to merchandising Spider-Man, while Sony gets to keep everything they make with the movies. The result of this is better marketing and increased profits for both companies.

Fox meanwhile didn't want to play ball. They are big enough to live with making some money (or no money) as long as their rival doesn't profit from any of it either.

They should really just cut it out. These movies just don't seem to do well, for whatever reason, and this wasn't the way to make it good again. Presumably, Guardians of the Galaxy changed very little about its world and did extremely well, so why in the world would anybody try this?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.