Bungie Axes Destiny's "Loot Cave" In Latest Hotfix

Pages PREV 1 2

Grumman:

Shooting at the same spot is to /enable/ fun. I don't play Destiny, but I do play Borderlands 2, and it suffers from a similar problem. Duping an item is not fun, but it's less /unfun/ than grinding the same boss a hundred times before you're allowed to try out the unique gun you're interested in.

The big difference between the loot system in Borderlands versus Destiny is that you need the Purple items in Destiny for they increase your level, with Borderlands the Orange items might have some interesting effects, but they aren't a required part of gameplay.

The random strike thing is a bloody joke too, I ended up doing Nexus about 4 times in a row. Think they need to sort that out. It can't be that hard to implement tracking where you have already been and not bloody send you there again straight away.

Awww, I liked the Loot Cave. I didn't have the patience to stay there for hours on end, but it was one way to pad out Cryptarch levels and roll for gear.

What I'll probably miss most from that, though, would be the unofficial social hub status that area gained as a result. Joining an instance where a group of three, maybe four, folks would already be gathered there, running up that hill and simply joining the firing line with people with the same end goal in mind. One or two might wave, you might wave back, farming commences.

Occasionally, a WarSat will fall from the sky, or the "enemy moves". In those instances, the group breaks from the cave and see the field turn into chaos as firefights ring out all over. Squads of Fallen and Hive join the fray, Wards of Dawns are dropped, Nova Bombs launched, Bladedancers wink in and out of existence. All throughout, gunfire and explosions rip across the croppings of rock and snow. Finally, when the enemy is driven back, those who haven't left the fray turn to look at one another for a brief instant, share a brief nod, and reform the line to return to shooting at that cave. Truly, the epitome of unspoken bonding.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I don't mind Strikes, but funny stuff like Loot Cave can't be made on purpose.

While I do believe that shooting into a dark hole for multiple hours is not good gameplay and probably should be removed, there's probably a REASON the players were doing it. I have not played the game myself so I can only bring up what others have said. If people would rather shoot into a dark hole for hours on end than play the same, grindy, missions over and over, you've probably fucked up your game in some big way.

This is all a bit confusing to me, as it seems like there is this magic amount of loot drops everyone seem to want but nobody knows what is.
I am not exactly sure what an engram is, but I am guessing it is somewhat like an epic item in WoW or a legendary/set in diablo, it does not really matter. Give the players too many of these and everyone and their dog will run around with full gear and complain it's too easy. Give too few and they will complain it takes too long.

I keep seeing a lot of complains, telling them to fix it, but what exactly do you guys want? Do you even know?

Also, it may be just me and what I am used to, but something with a "legendary" status is not something I feel should drop a few times per hour, it's something that should take days, weeks, if not months to get. If it is a thing essential for progress it should not really be called legendary in the first place, but hey that's just my opinion.

As of yesterday, and the changes Bungie made:

I never did the loot cave, so that doesnt bother me. However, I understand where people are coming from doing this, and the Nexus event over and over.

The Queens Wrath nerf was outright brutal. Is it possible we were getting TOO many ascendant shards? Maybe. Should they have cut them out completely? NO! Instead of carpet bombing the event like they did, they should have reduced the shards to one. Every legendary you dismantled should have given you a little higher glimmer, and a single Ascendant Shard. Instead, you get pretty much what you get if you dismantled an UNCOMMON or RARE. No, no, NO, Bungie.

The Queens Wrath nerf royally pissed me and a bunch of my clanmates off, to be sure, but there was some good that came out of it as well. The changes to the drops have already been felt, at least for me. As of yesterday morning, before the update, I had a total of around 15 legendary engram drops.

Here are the results:

First legendary engram... EXOTIC HELM! For a frakking Warlock. I am a Hunter.

Legendary engrams #2 through #14(ish)... all Rares, except for one Uncommon.

Yesterday morning, pre-patch, Legendary #15... Legendary CLASS ITEM! Wait, what is this?? For a Warlock??? AGAIN!???!?? /sigh

I come home last night, there is the update. When I went to bed last night, I had gotten (via upgrading the cryptarch to level 8, and leveling up Vanguard to 3) three legendary engrams. The first gave me an Exotic, which turned out to be the Ice Breaker sniper rifle, and let me tell you... all of a sudden, all the other engram troubles washed away. I was sooo happy. Then the other two netted me a legendary pulse rifle, and a legendary rocket launcher. So that DEFINITELY seems to have improved.

This morning, before work, I got on to find the Agent of Nine (he is in the flight hanger area now, folks... at the bar looking place all the way in the back) and I wasnt happy with the Hunter helm. Its ok, but its not the Mask of the Third Man, which is what I want, and I didnt have the coins for it at the time. So I didnt get that, but I went for it on the exotic helm engram.

Results... Exotic helm... for a titan. ROFL.

So there have been some improvements at least, but the Queens Wrath thing needs to be addressed by Bungie. Their forums are stirred up something fierce as of last night.

The loot isn't as bad as people say. As a level 20 you can go to old locations and still get loot equivalent to your level.

So I hopped into the moon patrol missions the other night and found blueprints to an ultra rare ship in a random cave. This is in an area that the only way you're going to die as a level 20 is by leaving your keyboard or jumping off a cliff.

So I think the complaints about the loot system is a bit benign.

That being said, I understand how loot nodes work. I see people running past them all the time and a buddy watching me last night said I found more chests in 20 minutes than he's seen in his entire time playing Destiny. So... maybe your experience may vary? My advice is to run into those caves lining the side that everyone seems to ignore.

Grumman:

Remus:
Fun? Shooting at the same spot for hours is FUN?

Shooting at the same spot is to /enable/ fun. I don't play Destiny, but I do play Borderlands 2, and it suffers from a similar problem. Duping an item is not fun, but it's less /unfun/ than grinding the same boss a hundred times before you're allowed to try out the unique gun you're interested in.

True, but at least with Borderlands 2 there's a lot of variety between the different bosses so if you get bored of one, you can switch to another. Plus, at least from what I've experienced, the Invincibles are almost guaranteed to grant you something good each time even if it's not the particular legendary you're looking for. If you're talking more about the regular bosses like Doc Mercy where they have a specific legendary that they can drop, then I do agree with you. Mercy is especially frustrating since the drop rate for the Infinity pistol is ridiculously small. Still, some of them aren't too bad. It only took me about half an hour of farming to get the Bee shield.

Anyway, the more I hear about this game, the more I'm glad that I put off getting it until a more complete version arrives. I have no doubt that Bungie is capable of making this game great, but as of now, it sounds like more of a chore than a game.

RedDeadFred:
Anyway, the more I hear about this game, the more I'm glad that I put off getting it until a more complete version arrives. I have no doubt that Bungie is capable of making this game great, but as of now, it sounds like more of a chore than a game.

I have no doubt Bungie is going to make improvements to the game, their next patch seems to be making changes to the Engram system and preventing the epic engrams to give uncommon gear.

For me the biggest problem in the game is how repetitive the campaign is and its repetitiveness is what makes all the other issues really stand out. If they can go back and make those missions interesting I think the game will improve dramatically, but that is a big if that is possible.

I quote one of my friends that stopped before finishing the campaign.

The steps to any campaign in Destiny
1) Wait five minutes for a loading screen
2) Land
3) Kill untold amount of enemies to a destination marker
4) Insert the Ghost of Peter Dinklage
5) Kill all enemies that spawn during Horde Mode encounter
6) Wait another five minutes for a loading screen

If that is the impression that a lot of people are getting from playing the campaign they might have a harder time convincing people that staying to see how awesome the mechanics behind the raids are, or even worse make people that might not reach the raid content feel they aren't important because they don't have any interesting mechanics to the areas they are playing.

Ah, more grinding less fun, what every game needs! i wonder if it will be as quickly forgotten as titanfall.

TorchofThanatos:
Can I swear? I really want to swear.

you are Spike, a badass vampire and your afraid of swearing? what has Buffy done to you!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.