Chrome Troopers Reportedly Coming in Star Wars: Episode VII

Chrome Troopers Reportedly Coming in Star Wars: Episode VII

Star Wars Episode VII Chrome Trooper 310x

A new breed of Stormtrooper could be coming in Episode VII. Potential spoilers ahead!

Leaks abound from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, as Indie Revolver has another snippet of what we might expect from the forthcoming Skywalker saga. (Spoilers ahead, obviously.)

IR has photos of a new "Chrome Trooper," that will make an appearance in Episode VII. The helmet, while tricked out in chrome, maintains the classic shape and details seen in the original Stormtrooper helment. This is a departure from other, new Stormtrooper helmets believed to be used in Episode VII filming, which have a more modern, narrow look.

So where do the new Stormtroopers fit in? As we venture into rumor territory, Chrome Troopers are not some sort of elite Stormtrooper regiment, or even part of the Imperial Army. Instead, they are believed to be a third-party security for one of the film's primary antagonists.

"A couple sources have expressed that the chrome troopers are a private security force for Adam Driver's character - silver mercenary rent-a-cops rather than true Imperial Forces for Adam Driver's character. While we've not heard this from anyone directly, the most abundant rumor about Driver is that he's a wealthy aristocrat with an interest in Sith artifacts. While this production seems eager to distance themselves from the prequel era, of all the films' props this design shares DNA most closely with the Naboo ships. The chrome finish and elegant curves fit in with that established aesthetic perfectly."

Again, the explanation is purely rumor, but the blinged-out Stormtrooper helmets appear to be real, indeed. There's a lot we don't know about the antagonists in Episode VII, despite knowing plenty about Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Co. In other words, there's plenty of room for new enemies, be it Sith- or officer-level villains, or fleshing out the lower ranks with metallic shock troops.

The more Stormtrooper variants, the merrier, I say. Hopefully these mercenaries fly around in chromed-out TIE Interceptors, too.

Source, Image Credit: Indie Revolver

Funny thing is, I never thought about new Stormtrooper variants. Be nice to see these ones on the big screen.

Only if the chrome TIE Interceptors can have concentric spinners on the exhaust port and neon strip lit wing tips.

You know it makes sense.

Chrome armor? Nice touch... now will the put spinners on the TIE solar panels? Maybe trick 'em out with a badass sound system? Not like you can hear the bass rumble in space...

I just think it is funny that every time something is revealed about it, it is something from the prior movies being reused again. It just puts me off the movie even more. I am expecting two hours of fan service and call backs to the original three movies.

Yawn.

Would it really be so much to ask to maybe come up with something brand new in the same universe without having to just grab everything identifiable from the original movies?

They have little LED lights under their shoes, an elevated back spoiler, and a loud muffler in their codpiece to make them sound really cool when they run in the lower gears.

Also is anyone worried that with all these reveals, by the time the movie actually comes out we'll know pretty much all the details and nothing will be there to surprise us any more.
If this was the original trilogy coming out I fear the internet would just be full of news articles about "Are Luke and Darth Vader related?" or "It's another death Star in EP. 6" or "Sneak peek at the Emperor's evil robes and makeup"
"See inside the new death star's throne room in these exclusive leaked set photos"
"Lightening powers in Star Wars?"
"Green lightsaber in final film"
"Fuzzy Small Old Puppet is great Jedi Master"

And other half-baked half-truths that just ruin the excitement of having new things revealed in the film while simultaneously making it sound awful so you automatically hate the ideas before you even see them implemented.

Looks like JJ Abrams found an excuse to fit even more lens flare onto the screen.

Seriously for a second though, could be a callback to KOTOR, with the Sith troopers wearing their shiny metal armour.

Seriously though, I'm still willing to give Star Wars Episode VII a shot. I just hope the chrome thing doesn't come off as stupid sounding as it does to me right now.

I always knew Google would someday try to take over the galaxy.

Clive Howlitzer:

Would it really be so much to ask to maybe come up with something brand new in the same universe without having to just grab everything identifiable from the original movies?

Your expecting some originality and creativity out of a Disney movie, bad Clive Howlitzer! *whacks you on the head with a rolled up newspaper*

To be honest it actually looks kind of cool, hoping it's a bounty hunter or something to that extent.

They're really going all out with the space marine look. They just need to have the commanders with gold armor too.

Great. Bling Troopers are in SW: Ep. VII. Will this be DLC in the next 5 Star Wars games?

Devin Connors:
Leaks abound from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII

So does anyone else read this as "In a press release from JJ Abrams", or is it just me?

Does anyone else read "Chrome Stormtroopers" as "JJ Abrahms has a collection of rare Lego Minifigs that he really likes".

Not too bad. It'll serve to differentiate them from the other imps, when they inevitably show up.

So they're like a private security firm? Well, it would make sense for them to want military grade gear, and the empire had some pretty good tech.

Though I will say that when I saw this, I kinda thought of something I read in the supposed leaked script that got my hopes up. Still cool though. And I don't really dislike the other sleeker helmets, either. With the role the Empire is supposed to take in this new movie, it kinda makes sense for them to change up their equipment, at least a little bit.

Well all i can think of are the sith troopers from kotor, here is hoping if they are going for that then they go all in and have the higher ranking troopers decked out in crimson armor.

As long as the troopers are back to being conscripted soldiers and not clones I'll be happy. It was a dumb retcon just to make the thousands of Stormtroopers our heroes kill in combat feel less dark.

fix-the-spade:
Only if the chrome TIE Interceptors can have concentric spinners on the exhaust port and neon strip lit wing tips.

You know it makes sense.

You mean like this? =D

MarsAtlas:
Looks like JJ Abrams found an excuse to fit even more lens flare onto the screen.

And for a sec, I thought I was gonna have to be the one to post this.

Huh, the first thought I had was "veteran Stormtrooper who gets to keep his original armour, just chromified". A badge of honour for people who lived through the conflicts or something. But if they really are a private security force, I suppose they might simply be armed and armoured using old Imperial equipment that's been refitted. Speaking of the chrome armour: The white Stormtrooper armour was probably meant to reflect a lot of the blasters' energy (even though we didn't really see that ever working). A silvery armour would be even better at reflecting incoming energy fire, I'd guess. In fact, even as a child, I was wondering why the Stormtroopers weren't equipped with reflective armour in the first place.

Winnosh:
As long as the troopers are back to being conscripted soldiers and not clones I'll be happy. It was a dumb retcon just to make the thousands of Stormtroopers our heroes kill in combat feel less dark.

Was that really retconned? The way I understood it, just the early Republican/then Imperial army consisted mostly of clones. During the time of the original trilogy, you have all sorts of different officers and generals, the soldiers talk with different voices etc.; so I figured that the ranks were already being refilled with conscripted or hired soldiers and officers as the clones, over the long years of war, are being killed off or replaced. I mean, okay, we don't see the faces of the Stormtroopers and maybe the voices aren't a perfect indicator, but the officers at least certainly are not clones in the original trilogy.

Skeleon:

Winnosh:

Was that really retconned? The way I understood it, just the early Republican/then Imperial army consisted mostly of clones. During the time of the original trilogy, you have all sorts of different officers and generals, the soldiers talk with different voices etc.; so I figured that the ranks were already being refilled with conscripted or hired soldiers and officers as the clones, over the long years of war, are being killed off or replaced. I mean, okay, we don't see the faces of the Stormtroopers and maybe the voices aren't a perfect indicator, but the officers at least certainly are not clones in the original trilogy.

The whole thought of the republic using clones was never brought up. It was heavily implied that t he Rebublic fought against a clone army during the Clone wars. It wasn't until the prequel trilogy that anything about them using clones was ever mentioned.

Chrome Stormtroopers you say?

Still, looks like they could be interesting.

My first thought when reading chrome troopers was to these guys: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_trooper
Maybe not as close as the sith trooper, but still....

I know why the movie is going to have chrome stormtroopers: it's so that JJ Abrams can justify more lens flare in the movie.

Look at all those reflections with lens flare! Lens flares are pretty! Put more chrome stormtroopers, we need more LENS FLARE!

So they're trading up to Cylon Centurions. Oh happy day.

Star Wars VII is going to suck, isn't it?

Skeleon:

Grand Moff Tarkin showed up several times in the CGI show as a clone, not sure about the other officers.

The reflections are going to be insane.

What hell would filming walking chrome men be like with all the lighting and stuff?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.