Humble Weekly Bundle Celebrates Leading Ladies in Games

Pages PREV 1 2

LifeCharacter:

Ukomba:
Kreia is a party member and is as playable as any other character, yes. She's arguably the most important character in the game. Frankly she blows vertigo out of the water in every aspect, and vertigo was my favorite character in primal rage (the snes port sucked).

I wouldn't really consider a party member in a Bioware game a playable character...

No problem then, it isn't a bioware game.

But you might as well say no rpg character is playable then. An odd stance to take but it would be constant. Personally, I consider taking direct control of a characters movements and actions as being playable.

LifeCharacter:

Actually, [email protected]#$ING YES!!! He literally says so. He ENPHASUSES it. Because I'm dealing with the anal requirement to avoid any hint of possible missenturpretation, I'll quote. He "Wracked his brain for a comparable protagonist from the modern 'progressive' era of games and, by jove I can't find a woman granted this license" He goes on to emphasize he isn't joking.

So because he says he couldn't think of any other characters that fit his criteria and said as much, the point of his video was that literally no other playable female characters that fit exist anywhere?

In essence that was what he was saying, but in actuality, no it just means he was working to fit a predetermined naratove and/or didn't bother to do any research.

LifeCharacter:

I do like how you disregard those female characters that meet his requirements though. As should everyone because they aren't any where near as rare as was being made out in that video. I could make a list of more than a dozen off the top of my head out of only games I played. So not finding them is a personal issue, not a game industry issue. That's was my response to pointing out male versions like Wario too, So what?

Oh, a whole dozen! What ever will we do! In all honesty, that doesn't impress me. How many of those characters are what amounts to monsters? How many human(oid) characters are on that list of ugly playable women that you can make?

Irrelevant. That wasn't the question or vertigo wouldn't have been on the list.

And ya a dozen from just what I played. I don't think I could name as many male character with the same restrictions so a dozen is pretty good.

Zachary Amaranth:

Ukomba:

I covered that a few posts up. Even based on his unusually restrictive criteria, Ms Splosion Man, a game in this bundle, meets all his requirements (and it came out before his video). Since he says no modern game exists that meets his criteria, Ms Splosion Man must not exist and so this bundle is impossible.

I'm not particularly sure why you feel she doesn't draw from the same pool of stereotypes.

You might want to point out stereotypes, that were part of Jims requirements, you think she breaks. Being pink, while a stereotype, is not grounds for disqualification based on Jims requirements, for example.

Ukomba:
No problem then, it isn't a bioware game.

So did Obsidian create a whole new mechanic for party members that would warrant calling them playable? Or is it like the games Bioware makes where party members are controlled in the sense that, if you felt like it, you could tell them to use a certain ability or move to a certain location?

In essence that was what he was saying, but in actuality, no it just means he was working to fit a predetermined naratove and/or didn't bother to do any research.

He didn't bother to do any research because the video wasn't about how no other female character fitting his criteria existed, just that he couldn't think of any but Vertigo. Since the point of the video was that female characters that aren't attractive and so on was rare, I fail to see how going out of his way to point out "Actually, there's a few more than just Vertigo if I go out of my way to find them" would be overly important

Irrelevant. That wasn't the question or vertigo wouldn't have been on the list.

Irrelevant to my point. If I was making a list, Vertigo wouldn't be on it, because making a monster female requires all the effort of using a feminine pronoun, not to mention that they're all usually unattractive. If you want to make a point that unattractive women aren't as uncommon as Jim thinks there is, maybe you shouldn't rely on monsters to bolster your list.

And ya a dozen from just what I played. I don't think I could name as many male character with the same restrictions so a dozen is pretty good.

You can't name a dozen unattractive male characters that aren't player created and do things for something other than a woman? Really? I could probably top a dozen just by going through some fighting game rosters.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here