Forget Windows 9: Microsoft Introduces Windows 10

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Forget Windows 9: Microsoft Introduces Windows 10

Windows 10 Start Menu 310x

Nope, that headline is not a joke.

During a small press event today in San Francisco, Microsoft officially introduced its next operating system to the world. Dubbed Windows 10, the software giant is bypassing Windows 9, and jumping straight into double-digits from Windows 8.1.

The mantra so far? "One product family, one platform, one store." Microsoft will be producing a number of operating components under the Windows 10 umbrella, including enterprise, mobile, tablet, and traditional desktop environments. So far, this Windows presentation is very much focused on enterprise, which makes sense -- Microsoft's bread and butter has always been big business, and it needs to keep large corporate entities on its side.

Microsoft wants to move away from the "duality" of Windows 8/8.1. A rift has always existed between the desktop environment, and the tablet/Metro environment. While touch users have enjoyed a relatively robust environment to work in, the desktop crowd was left behind. Microsoft wants to remedy the situation with Windows 10, as it presents a more unified OS that caters to both the desktop population, while maintaining the gains it's made with touch users.

One key feature that should appeal to users of all kinds: Multiple desktops (a take on virtual desktops). Now users can run several desktops at once, memory permitting: one for productivity, one for gaming, one for family, and so on. The desktops all live in the taskbar, which should make transitioning rather fluid.

Even the Command Prompt tool is getting a face-lift. Among other improvements? You can paste directly into CP now.

Windows 10 Touch 310x

The desktop environment being shown off should appeal to many a Windows 7 holdover, but touch users aren't being left out in the cold. At first glance, the touch environment in Windows 10 is an amalgamation of sorts -- touch-friendly, while keeping some elements from the non-touch desktop (taskbar). The Charms bar is still there, but the touch UI "is evolving." For now, swiping in from the left side of the desktop brings up Task View, which provides larger, more touch-friendly buttons. There's also a new feature called "continuum," which allows tasks and apps to seamlessly transition from touch to non-touch (for those using Windows 10 on two-in-one devices).

Tomorrow (October 1st), Microsoft is launching the Windows Insider Program, which is another name for a technical preview. This will power users, and the more adventurous to install preview builds of Windows 10. And for the business crowd, a server version of WIP will launch shortly thereafter.

Previews aside, the "consumer story" will be talked about in-depth early next year, while Universal Apps will be fully revealed at Microsoft Build in April 2015. A specific launch date has not been nailed down publicly, except for "...later in the year 2015."

While Windows 10 is a unified platform, the mobile version of the forthcoming OS will not have a desktop mode, confirmed Microsoft in the event Q&A. And backwards compatibility will, on the surface, not be an issue. Windows apps currently available through Microsoft and its store will make the transition.

Image Credit: Engadget | PC Advisor (UK) | The Verge

*something about Microsoft being determined to break the good-bad-good cycle of Windows OS here*

Unified sounds good in theory, but I really wish this kind of stuff took into account that not every where is Redmond, WA and thus doesn't have constant, 24/7 access to online infrastructure. This constant push to be 'in the cloud' is both bothersome and frankly a transparent desire to wrest yet more control of the OS from users and make Windows into something more resembling the walled garden of OSX. Isn't the strength of the PC the open nature of it? Yet MS seems determined to close it off so much.

Ah yes, virtual desktop and command prompt improvements. Looks like Microsoft is finally reaching the standards of Linux desktops from the 90's.

So..

Was this just a massive joke, Microsoft? Or are you sending out a resounding "fuck you" to all of your Windows 8 users?

Vigormortis:
So..

Was this just a massive joke, Microsoft? Or are you sending out a resounding "fuck you" to all of your Windows 8 users?

I don't think it's a joke at all. If it holds true, Windows 8.1 (and/or 8.2, if that update is pushed out) users could see a free upgrade to Windows 10.

-Devin Connors, Tech Editor

I'm so confused. Is this some kind of joke? Are we being seriously trolled by somebody here? Is any of this even real?

But yeah, name aside (seriously, what the fuck?), there aren't any real big surprises here. I'll hold off on making any judgement until we know more about it.

"Windows 10, because 7 8 9"

What a weird day it has been today.

Insert mandatory joke about skipping the "good" odd-numbered OS here.

The multiple desktops thing sounds promising; I'm not so sure about the "swipe in" from the sides, though, unless it's easy to turn off. Thing is, I want my screen space for what I choose to do with it; even the Taskbar refusing to go away when I'm dealing with a web browser, word processor, or graphics editor can be annoying. I'd seriously rather have to perform an extra step than have my system get in my way, trying to second-guess me.

Hopefully at least this time Microsoft has figured out not to hide the "off" button.

Windows 9?

NEIN!

Devin Connors:

Vigormortis:
So..

I don't think it's a joke at all. If it holds true, Windows 8.1 (and/or 8.2, if that update is pushed out) users could see a free upgrade to Windows 10.

My question at this point is "who in their right mind would want to keep being dragged along by MSs BS about their OS?" XP cause they're starting to get insane about what they think works........yeaaah enthusiasts may be intrigued by built in "virtual machines", but honestly unless they dumb it down to the point of aggravation, how many people were really ASKING for a feature like that? and further, I agree with 1Life, could companies stop RAMMING the cloud down our throats? It's NOT a secure system. How many hacks have happened recently? Too many.

Edit: reread the article, news flash microsoft, you've been able to paste directly into command prompt for a while now. right click the top left corner, move down to edit, paste, done. don't need windows 9-10-11 for that.

So, now Microsoft AND Apple are on OS version 10 (on paper anyway).
"You can paste directly into CP now." Ghasp!!!! FINALLY!

But multiple desktops? Was using that in Unix in 1999. Kind of a thing of the past, but it's nice none the less.

Andy Shandy:

Awww. I JUST made that joke to my coworkers and promptly said out loud "OMG, I've got to post that before someone else does!" Congrats.

I wonder if they were planning to go with Windows X like some leaks suggest, and then changed their mind? Perhaps there was a friendly call from whoever owns the copyright on the Unix X Window system?

Vigormortis:
So..

This is likely why they are skipping Windows 9, they don't want to give it away free but after this rumor....

Well, they can't count to three with Xbox, so it's not a surprise that they don't know how to count to ten when it comes to Windows.

Does someone need to sit down with Microsoft and explain to them how numbers work? Because after this and the Xbox One, I'm starting to think that they may not entirely understand the concept.

OT: Hopefully this will be an improvement over Windows 8. The initial things I've been hearing all sound good (or at least, not great but ignorable), but who knows if the release will actually be good or not. We'll just have to wait and see.

Devin Connors:

I assumed, if it were true, that this would likely be the case for the upgrade.

I was just pointing out the irony that they recently spoke of a free upgrade to 9, only to, a short time after, saying they were skipping 9 and going straight to 10.

Will it run smoother than 7? If so, I might make the switch. If it's resource heavy, no thanks.

And that's about all that matters to me for an OS.

I will keep tabs on this if it means I can stop using Windows 8.1. Hopefully Windows 10 won't use the tiles interface thing in desktop mode that I use Classic Shell to cover up.

Are we gonna have windows 7 hold outs like we had windows XP hold outs?
Edit: I'll probably be one.

Seriously I don't like this whole unifying thing, you've got touchscreen stuff on your desktop and desktop stuff on your touchscreen, why not just two different operating systems that focus on the device you are making the OS for!

I have no opinion on the multiple desktop thing, I've had the chance to use them in Lubuntu (or was it Xubuntu?) but never really had a reason to. If I'm working on something (even if it requires lots of windows and programs open, like say, game modding) I prefer to have everything visible from one desktop (obviously?), and when I want or need to do something else I'll close my programs and save my progress before switching tasks.

Surprised they didn't call it Windows Ex Pea.

Devin Connors:
Even the Command Prompt tool is getting a face-iift. Among other improvements? You can paste directly into CP now.

If you don't know how to do this on Windows 7 and 8 yet, computers are simply not your forte.

I see why they're going in this direction. When I worked in an office, where I handled more than 1 simple task, I would have killed for a virtual desktop system. Already I see people here going "Well, that's not fucking needed." It all makes sense now. People just can't adapt to change.

The mantra so far? "One product family, one platform, one store." Microsoft will be producing a number of operating components under the Windows 10 umbrella, including enterprise, mobile, tablet, and traditional desktop environments.

Yay! Microsoft has listened to everybody-

Microsoft wants to move away from the "duality" of Windows 8/8.1. A rift has always existed between the desktop environment, and the tablet/Metro environment. While touch users have enjoyed a relatively robust environment to work in, the desktop crowd was left behind. Microsoft wants to remedy the situation with Windows 10, as it presents a more unified OS that caters to both the desktop population, while maintaining the gains it's made with touch users.

So close, Microsoft. So close.

Oh Piss off! Everything I hear about this OS makes it sound worse.

Jadwick:
Are we gonna have windows 7 hold outs like we had windows XP hold outs?
Edit: I'll probably be one.

Yes we will. I won't even consider getting a new windows OS until at least 2020.

So Microsoft is just skipping the good OS's all together now? :P

One thing I do like is the introduction of virtual desktops. Took your time with that Microsoft didn't you? The amount of times I've Crtl + Alt + Left to switch work places only to remember I booted windows when the screen is now aligned vertically. You can look pretty silly doing that when people are around -_-

Dear Microsoft, I know you're not actually reading this, but on the off-chance that you are... for the love of all that is right and good with the world, would you please stop giving me useless "swipe gestures" to accidentally set off every time I go near the touchpad of my laptop?

I'd never get anything done if I hadn't figured out how to disable that godforsaken Charms Bar, and you still manage to "forget" that I've turned it off at regular intervals. I suppose really I should blame Asus' touchpad software for that but I'm still pretty pissed at the mothership for making it a feature in the first place. I don't want, need, or enjoy having some toolbar that I don't use spring out from the side of the screen while stealing mouse focus, knock it off.

I stopped reading here, "One product family, one platform, one store." Last time they had that mentality we got the Xbox One. And we all got Xboned...

Sarge034:
I stopped reading here, "One product family, one platform, one store." Last time they had that mentality we got the Xbox One. And we all got Xboned...

To be fair, it's a good idea if they can not muck it up for once. I don't think they'll do it right this time, but one can hope at least.

Andy Shandy:

Just commenting to say that your avatar was oddly appropriate for your comment :P

OT:I dont understand why they skipped 9... But as long as it's less shit than 8 I guess it's ok...

I like the virtual desktops, I used them all the time back in gnome2. I won't be upgrading from until they get their UI right. For me it'll be right when it no longer resembles what touch screen guys are getting. I like my win7 menu.

I think we have finally found the root problem with Microsoft's products. The people making them don't know how to count.
Windows 10? XBox One?

And am I the only one that has long thought the Windows 8 (now Windows 10) touch interface looks like a bad Tumblr page?

Just... no. Bill, get that shit sorted out.

Also, looks like I'll be sticking to Windows 7 for the next... sixty years of my life.

Uhm...nice one. Who the hell is in charge of naming their systems/platforms anyways. Windows10, Xbox ONE, Reclusa. Microsoft seems to like going backwards. Their tablet and start screen looks like 90's free host websites, multiple desktops I saw since my dad first showed me Redhat Linux (and I see from others that this has been since 20th century also), and copy/paste to CMD, hooooly crap.

Yeah I think I'll be with 7 for awhile longer, took me long enough to get around all the crappy home networking stuff, now I have to deal with ridiculous start menus, plus teaching every elderly member of my family who bought a new laptop/desktop/all-in-one how to Windowz again. Not to mention I think I'll still be using Office 2007 into the next decade, unless they successfully force the world into a yearly subscription for WORD PROCESSING AND SPREADSHEET SOFTWARE *facepalms*

WAT

I mean, okay... It's your company but... Huh...

Didn't see that one coming.

Is anyone else getting Brotherhood of Nod vibes from this announcement? "One Product! One Platform! One Store! Peace Through Power!"

OT: While I'm quite happy with my Win7 install, I'll be watching on with some interest. No doubt push will come to shove eventually and support will be dropped for 7, so I might as well keep track of what's going on.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here