Swimming Pools And More Are Coming as Free DLC For The Sims 4

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Swimming Pools And More Are Coming as Free DLC For The Sims 4

sims 4 ghosts

EA has planned several free content releases for the Sims 4 over the next few months.

When we learned that pools had been cut from The Sims 4, the only real question on our minds was "how much are EA gonna charge us for them when they come back as DLC?" The answer, surprisingly, is $0. EA has just announced a set of free content releases for The Sims 4 that will be released over the next few months, including new outfits, career paths, and of course, the return of pools.

First up, for October, Ghosts appropriately make their way into the game. Dead Sims can now rejoin the world of the living, where they maintain all the attributes they had a as a Sim, but with special new behaviors based on how they died. For your Sims that have not yet crossed over to the other side, these four Star Wars inspired costumes will be made available to them:

Further on down the track, two additional patches in November and December will respectively re-introduce pools to the game, introduce new Career paths and rewards. All of these updates will be completely free for all players, and will automatically download upon logging in to Origin. In fact, the October content is already available for players to enjoy.

This is certainly a very generous move from EA, who is no doubt trying to regain some of the good faith it lost by neglecting to add pools in the first place.

Here's hoping that toddlers also make it in as free DLC at some point down the line.

Source: EA Games

On the one hand, pools and ghosts should have been in the game to begin with. Adding them later doesn't change that.

On the other hand, the fact that they are adding new Careers and rewards on top of pools and ghosts through a free patch is not a bad thing. I just wish EA would not have to do something crappy in order to do something good.

Adding it back later doesn't change the fact that E.A. is a horrible company. Peer pressure doesn't count

Oh what a shock, EA withheld features so it can be bought as DLC. What a bunch of money-grubbing--

Wait..."free"? You mean it's DLC...for free?

But...but it's EA.

EA...giving DLC...for free?!

DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE

.....There's gotta be a catch.

And once again it is proven that whining about something is the most reliable way to get it changed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. To all you asking "What's the catch?", the catch is that this is damage control, pure and simple. The reactions to the release of the game were so broadly negative that they decided it's worth more in the long run to give out some free DLC now and draw in more players than it is to nickel'n'dime the existing players for these additions.

Thorn14:

Not really, I would imagine, but that doesn't mean that this is altruistic for its own sake.

Look at it this way: If they had decided to charge for something so basic to the series like pools, people would have absolutely raised Cain about it, and they might have actually lost some of those die-hard Sims players that are keeping the franchise alive by also buying the expansions, add-ons, and content packs. It might have created ill-will that they could not control, in other words.

By making this move (which perhaps they were planning to make all along, or maybe not, who can say at this point?), they regain the trust of those die-hard Sims players, who will almost certainly now buy the numerous expansions, etc., and perhaps garner the interest of the casual Sims players who have enjoyed the previous entries in the series but were put off by the perceived value lost by downsizing the Sims 4. Now those players might decide to buy, since their main grievances have been addressed.

Honestly from a business stand point this is expected, because of the public statement of improving themselves was said about a month ago now. I don't know how long this good faith may last... But there are strong rumours of free DLC to BF4 as well, so maybe they are putting their money where their mouth is.

gut it and then put the guts back in hmm that doesn't sound right

*reads comments, laughs* No, there's no pleasing people in regards to EA.
*laughs even more* You people crack me up.

OT: I called this, and the reactions. Good for EA. We'll see how this continues or not.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

We should be thankful they are correcting such an obvious mistake? I'd like to hear your logic on that.

OT: So far this game has less vanilla content than Sims 3 (yes I know Sims 3 had acres of DLC/Expansions, comparing the base games here), so I am not convinced changing over to what has been described as a very minor visual enhancement is a good move.

Yes how "generous" of them to stitch up the gamne they gutted on purpose in the first place after the backlash already hit.
How "generous" of the baby to stop shitting its pants for 5 seconds.

Steven Bogos:
This is certainly a very generous move from EA...

Generous? How is it generous to give customers who payed $70 for a game stripped down of content things that should have been in the game in the first place? Besides, it's free now, but that's only because of the negative reaction, that's only because of the backlash. If there weren't as much of a backlash then EA would have been happy selling us basic game content as paid DLC - it's only because they knew we wouldn't stand for it that they made it free instead.

008Zulu:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

We should be thankful they are correcting such an obvious mistake? I'd like to hear your logic on that.

OT: So far this game has less vanilla content than Sims 3 (yes I know Sims 3 had acres of DLC/Expansions, comparing the base games here), so I am not convinced changing over to what has been described as a very minor visual enhancement is a good move.

Thankful? No. Maybe not condescending when they have decided to do the right thing since they can't go back in time and add it to the gold build for release. I mean its like people expect them to somehow retroactively do just that, and its ridiculous. I'm not saying get all happy crappy "yay!" over it. But having a shit attitude no matter what they do, might as well just say EA is dead to those people, write them off and never buy from them again because it seems that nothing they do will ever be "right" in their eyes.
I just don't see the point in continuing to be cynical, seems like a lot of effort for no reward.

EA has anounced something for free. ah, see how the next story will be about firing that spokeperson for going completely agaisnt company policy.

TKretts3:

Steven Bogos:
This is certainly a very generous move from EA...

Generous? How is it generous to give customers who payed $70 for a game stripped down of content things that should have been in the game in the first place? Besides, it's free now, but that's only because of the negative reaction, that's only because of the backlash. If there weren't as much of a backlash then EA would have been happy selling us basic game content as paid DLC - it's only because they knew we wouldn't stand for it that they made it free instead.

Don't get me wrong but the people who paid full price for a game they knew to be 'stripped down' as you say deserve what they get.

008Zulu:

I wouldn't. I tried, immediately went back to sims 3. Vanilla 4, has less than vanilla 3. Even after these DLC things are added.

Heck, there is a god damn loading screen to visit your neighbor house, which is already loaded while you are home. Furniture and everything.

What is it loading? Nobody god damn knows.

marioandsonic:
Oh what a shock, EA withheld features so it can be bought as DLC. What a bunch of money-grubbing--

Wait..."free"? You mean it's DLC...for free?

But...but it's EA.

EA...giving DLC...for free?!

DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE

Don't mworry my dear human/ai friend, it's a cold and calculated thing. They are only doing it because they know that they did goofed.

It's the only reason EA would ever give you something for free. To try and make up for things they know people are miffed about.

Evil Overlord 1: "Dude, people are so on to us about the pool-dlc thing. It's like they know us."
Evil Overlord 2: "Oh butts, we are supposed to not be the worst company again. The ├╝berlords will have our heads!"
Evil Overlord 1: "How about we give it out for free, and say it was the plan all along. That will work, right?"
Evil Overlord 2: "Genius number 1! People will never see through that one. Now, how much can we charge for pets?"

Thorn14:

You have to buy the game. I'm assuming you didn't.

Well, EA's giving away their backlog On The House, they gave away Sims 2 and ALL expansions for nothing - and prior to that, complementary copies of Red Alert 2 with preorder and special editions of Red Alert 3, and making C&C, Red Alert 1, and Tiberian Sun freeware (though that was mostly Aaron "EA_Apoc" Kaufmann I credit EA with it.)

While it's still launching without important core features it's not as horrible as lopping them out and selling them.

Oh sod off EA. Withholding basic game content and then offering it later as 'free dlc' in order to look like the good guy is just pathetic.

Pretty sure Jim Sterling did an episode recently on exactly this kind of behavior.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

OT: I called this, and the reactions. Good for EA. We'll see how this continues or not.

Why should we give praise when someone does what they should have in the first place? It's all well and good but it doesn't earn them any brownie points or undo their fuckups. Well done, you gave us back something that had no good reason to be removed in the first place. How about all that other stuff (talking actual features and not simply furniture)you took out? No? That's what I thought.

You want recognition for this EA, here's a silver star sticker for you...now fuck off.

gamegod25:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Why should we give praise when someone does what they should have in the first place? It's all well and good but it doesn't earn them any brownie points or undo their fuckups. Well done, you gave us back something that had no good reason to be removed in the first place. How about all that other stuff (talking actual features and not simply furniture)you took out? No? That's what I thought.

You want recognition for this EA, here's a silver star sticker for you...now fuck off.

Once again, I have to explain something that should be obvious... Where in the hell did I say anything about praising EA?
All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad. Its disingenuous at best.
Seriously.
Look at it like this: Game is released without content, people are mad because content is not there (and lots of wild theories about it being locked behind a paywall abound). Then patch (DLC) is announced that puts said missing content in for free and people are mad that the content is being put in for free. Thats really odd to hold onto anger for so long and when you get what you want (for free!) you're too cynical to let go of anger and are now mad because you got what you wanted? Or do you want EA to bend the laws of time and space and put the content in the game before it was released?

Imperioratorex Caprae:
All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad. Its disingenuous at best.
Seriously.
Look at it like this: Game is released without content, people are mad because content is not there (and lots of wild theories about it being locked behind a paywall abound). Then patch (DLC) is announced that puts said missing content in for free and people are mad that the content is being put in for free. Thats really odd to hold onto anger for so long and when you get what you want (for free!) you're too cynical to let go of anger and are now mad because you got what you wanted? Or do you want EA to bend the laws of time and space and put the content in the game before it was released?

Just more proof that "gamers" are angry and entitled whiners. Never happy and always whining, I couldn't care less about the Sims so this doesn't affect me in the slightest but it is nice to see a company trying to fix their mistakes (because the gamers where totally entitled to their pools because they are special snowflakes so not being able to get them in at launch was a mistake right?). EA doesn't deserve "praise" for this but neither do they deserve all this bitterness, "gamers" are never happy and always find something to whine and rage about.

I often feel ashamed to admit I play games any more, I never felt that way before but with all this anger, rage, bitterness and death threats over the slightest thing they don't like all over the internet makes me feel dirty being associated with "gamers".

ron1n:
Oh sod off EA. Withholding basic game content and then offering it later as 'free dlc' in order to look like the good guy is just pathetic.

Eh, I'm thinking they were hoping the outcry wouldn't be so bad and they'd charge for it, this is damage control.

J Tyran:

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Seriously.

Just more proof that "gamers" are angry and entitled whiners. Never happy and always whining, I couldn't care less about the Sims so this doesn't affect me in the slightest but it is nice to see a company trying to fix their mistakes (because the gamers where totally entitled to their pools because they are special snowflakes so not being able to get them in at launch was a mistake right?). EA doesn't deserve "praise" for this but neither do they deserve all this bitterness, "gamers" are never happy and always find something to whine and rage about.

I often feel ashamed to admit I play games any more, I never felt that way before but with all this anger, rage, bitterness and death threats over the slightest thing they don't like all over the internet makes me feel dirty being associated with "gamers".

See I just pity them, I don't feel ashamed of being associated with them because I'm comfortable in my own skin. I can't understand living life being so negatively charged over these things. There is the part of me that wishes folks could be a bit less negative and a hell of a lot more constructive but "wish in one hand, shit in the other..." yadda-yadda-yadda.
*shrug*

So the tech demo is finally getting some meat on it's bones free of charge...

I highly suspect that they initially wanted to charge for each bit of DLC but they needed something to make up for the fact that they released a $60 tech demo, not a $60 game

I think EA is deliberately trolling and trying to make itself seem worse than it actually is.

They could have won huge brownie points and had people sucking them off if they'd been down to earth and let everyone know that these free dlcs would be coming out, instead they went out of their to do the worst of both worlds: Giving into people after they know they won't gain much being doing this and losing money on top of that.

In a way I'd have respected EA more if they'd charged money for these. Better for one to stick to their guns than come off weak and indecisive.

This dlc is free..... For now! I bet 6 months down the line it won't be, so you better run out and buy the game right away!

Nimcha:
Don't get me wrong but the people who paid full price for a game they knew to be 'stripped down' as you say deserve what they get.

So, the muggles that dont follow gaming news, am i to not feel a bit of pity for them?

Imperioratorex Caprae:

All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad.

Who here is "mad" specifically about them putting it in the game exactly?
Maybe you should not skip looking at the reasoning. Context does matter.

gigastar:

Nimcha:

So, the muggles that dont follow gaming news, am i to not feel a bit of pity for them?

Well, a little bit. Or you could blame yourself for not making enough noise to warn them. :P

On one hand, it's hard to see this as anything but a PR move in response to backlash, on the other hand, it is actually something that gives people who bought the game a tangible benefit, let's just hope it doesn't come with some caveat.

If they had the patches almost complete, why didn't they just delay the release until the full vanilla game was complete? Did EA really earn more or save on development time by pushing an unfinished product out? Making it part of free patches rather than paid DLC isn't going to buy back the good will they lost, and i'm still convinced the original plan WAS to charge for the items.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

We should be happy they corrected a mistake, when I still am not happy when games have large amounts of heavy bugs patched out that shouldn't have been left in in the first place?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here