Future Cops: Lambo-Driving Dubai Police Get Google Glass

Future Cops: Lambo-Driving Dubai Police Get Google Glass

A quick face scan with Google Glass? The future of law enforcement is here.

The Dubai Police already have a host of cool toys at their disposal. A Lambo Aventador here, a Bugatti Veyron there. I think the best my hometown ever did was the D.A.R.E. Mustang, confiscated from a low-life drug dealer.

But the fastest cops in all the land (ahem) just got another upgrade: Google Glass. Yes, most of the DPF will now rock the Glasshole look, as pursuit car drivers and beat cops alike will be equipped with the connected eyewear.

The Google Glass hardware, coupled with custom-made applications, will help Dubai cops with several day-to-day tasks. First, police will be able to snap photos of traffic violations through Glass, then upload the photos to a database, with tickets to be issued later. Second, equipped cops will have facial recognition tech at their disposal, as their mobile hardware is linked up with an online database.

The database system will also be able to read images taken of car license plates, to see if any outstanding violations are attached to a given car.

The software (and attached police program) isn't quite at Terminator levels -- no real-time facial recognition analytics -- so a policeman won't be face-scanning every passer-by. But don't let me stop you from making Watch Dogs jokes in the comments.

Source: Reuters

Doesn't Dubai have money troubles? If so, i'm not bloody surprised.

Now they can oppress people with high tech!

There was me hoping for a Future Cop LAPD reboot, this is far more disappointing.

PunkRex:
Doesn't Dubai have money troubles? If so, i'm not bloody surprised.

Dubai always has money troubles, debt funded development for the win!

I'm supposed to take a police officer with Google Glass seriously?

Those things already look pretty lame, but if there's any city that over-indulges itself, it's Dubai!

So they have facial recognition but it's not real-time... I thought Google Glass's facial recognition was done in the cloud and virtually instant; do they just have sucky Internet in Dubai or something?

Either way, I could see this being useful for cops Stateside, and by that I mean accountability. It's hard to get away with arresting some random person because "all black people look the same to me" when your headgear can tell the difference and confirm that you've got the wrong guy.

This all looks like a bad SciFi movie.

Color me excited.

Steve the Pocket:
So they have facial recognition but it's not real-time... I thought Google Glass's facial recognition was done in the cloud and virtually instant; do they just have sucky Internet in Dubai or something?

Do you know of any articles about or demonstrations of GGlass facial recognition in action? If that becomes a feature it looks like I'm back to slapping them off peoples faces again.

Well, money don't always bring sense does it. Good luck Dubai. Things that go up, always seems to fall.

I could see this being useful, possibly Google glass's potential being seen. As usual though it all comes down to execution.

Hang on... Lamborghinis as cop cars? SO they're pretty much the Need For Speed cops then... DAMN.

Where's the documentary film on Dubai cops?

Adam Jensen:

Quite the opposite, as Steve the Pocket points out it becomes a lot harder to justify police brutality or intimidation (or the thousand and one things that x out of y police around the world do) when you've got a big camera strapped on your face filming everything you and your victim do and say before, during and after the incident.

Redflash:

Adam Jensen:

Quite the opposite, as Steve the Pocket points out it becomes a lot harder to justify police brutality or intimidation (or the thousand and one things that x out of y police around the world do) when you've got a big camera strapped on your face filming everything you and your victim do and say before, during and after the incident.

That's not how things work in Dubai. In civilized democratic countries, maybe. But not in Dubai.

Well, the idea of a police officer having a constantly available record of their actions sounds safe for them and the public.
I'm sure in practice it won't be as simple as that, but I could imagine it could be very helpful.

However, every time I think of this, I find myself thinking of something I read on the day google glass was announced.

"First time I see someone wearing them" said the fine, upstanding denizen of the internet, "I'm going to shout 'google, search goatse' and run away laughing"

If you know why that would be a bad thing, you'll know what I'm talking about.
If you don't, then just use your imagination because searching for it is not worth the price of understanding.

Anyway.
That's my somewhat crude segue into wondering how hard it will be to secure the wireless systems on google glass and ensuring it doesn't become the next big target for prank hacking and other mischief.

The more the future develops, the more it seems that hackers are going to have a really good time.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here