EA Finally Admits Battlefield 4 Damaged Trust with Gamers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA Finally Admits Battlefield 4 Damaged Trust with Gamers

Battlefield 4 Screenshot 4

DICE LA Producer says most Battlefield players "won't trust us to deliver a stable launch or a stable game."

DICE LA Producer David Sirland cleared the air recently regarding Battlefield 4, and how its (very) rocky launch might impact the rollout of Battlefield: Hardline.

"I can absolutely say that we lost [player] trust in the game's launch and the early parts of the year," Sirland said to GameSpot in an interview. "We still probably have a lot of players who won't trust us to deliver a stable launch or a stable game...I think we have to do things to get them to trust us, not say things to get them to trust us. Show by doing."

Sirland acknowledging the lack of trust between Battlefield 4 players and the studio-publisher duo behind the franchise is, as far as I can tell, the first time an EA or DICE employee has come on the record saying that a breach of trust exists. It's certainly a sentiment opposite of what EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said back in March, when he told Morgan Stanley conference attendees there was no damage issue to deal with.

Battlefield 4 did not have the smoothest of launches last year. The console versions of BF4 were particularly tragic during the launch windows, while issues with servers,connectivity, netcode and other playability bugs and errors persisted for months. Many who invested at launch were left feeling angry enough to start a lawsuit, not to mention the usual fury that gaming netizens can exude.

While EA and DICE were quick to offer double XP initiatives and other bonuses (without actually issuing any sort of straightforward apology involving the words "we are sorry"), the launch window has always remained a contentious issue with dedicated Battlefield 4 players. EA brass has even gone as far to say that there was no concrete damage to player trust during the launch, but that attitude has finally changed, apparently. But a change in attitude nearly one year after launch doesn't necessarily signal a change in game launch practices.

We have reached out to EA regarding Sirland's comments on Battlefield 4, and we will update if any new information arises.

Sources: GameSpot | GI.biz

So is this their way of saying, "Hey guys, sorry about Battlefield 4. So to make it up to you go buy Battlefield Hardline."

How about you guys go and finish Battlefield 4 first. Then we'll be in talks about a possible new game.

orangeapples:
So is this their way of saying, "Hey guys, sorry about Battlefield 4. So to make it up to you go buy Battlefield Hardline."

How about you guys go and finish Battlefield 4 first. Then we'll be in talks about a possible new game.

Blearbadabada~

You beat me to it. The no comments thing in the corner tricked me, or you're a supreme ninja.

Still though, That's all this really boils down to. I've been kind of noticing this trend, and never really put two-and-two together until Jim pointed it out.

Can we, like, not put up with this anymore?

orangeapples:

Pretty much this. They're going the "aw we're so sorry won't happen again! Now buy our new game winkywinkysmileyface". But from what I heard BF3 was broken on launch to, so it's not like they're fast learners.

Oh look, more fake goodwill and/or admissions of guilt from EA/DICE.

They must REALLY be freaking out about the Hardline launch.

Pro-Tip Dice/EA: No one actually gives a shit about hardline, it's just bf4 dlc masquerading as a full price game. In fact, cancel it. Seriously. Cancel it and put each and everyone of your developers onto Star Wars :Battlefront 3 instead because heaven help you if you manage to mess that up.

AAA publishers follow the same routine: Launch a bad game, deny all accusations of it being buggy or broken through the important sales period, then when you're ready to sell the new one apologize for the last and act like you learned your lesson. Gotta get them early sales!

THIS damaged trust with gamers? This was just another nail in the coffin but the way they talk you would think it was the first time.

Wait wait wait...

i think trust was lost way before battle field 4 XD

But a change in attitude nearly one year after launch doesn't necessarily signal a change in game launch practices.

On the other hand:

First, we want to thank the fans out there that are playing and supporting us with Battlefield 4. We know we still have a ways to go with fixing the game - it is absolutely our #1 priority. The team at DICE is working non-stop to update the game. Since Battlefield 4 China Rising expansion pack was already in the final stages of development by the time issues began with Battlefield 4, we decided to fulfill our promise to deliver it this week, but we're not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4. We know many of our players are frustrated, and we feel your pain. We will not stop until this is right.

All of this is a testament to talented teams and their commitment to taking risks and pushing hard for new innovation. I'm proud of how we're embracing the next generation.... But we're not celebrating. In fact, we're still working hard. We have had our challenges with stability issues on Battlefield 4, and the DICE team is 100 percent focused on understanding and resolving the problems that some players have been having. We won't rest until we get things fixed...

I don't know what you expected, but EA has been pretty apologetic and recognized the poor state of BF 4 since the first week. I know everybody loves to attack on the "evil overlord" that is EA, but to say they never admitted or denied that BF 4 had problems is borderline lying...

Oh, they definitely won't make that mistake again. Not because of gamers, of course. That's just silly. Don't you remember that their shareholders sued them over BF4? They can't afford to screw up again because it will cost them millions. Might as well deliver a finished product and avoid "the wrath of the shareholders". Which is, incidentally, the name of DA: Inquisition expansion pack.

You also forgot to mention that the whole cram micro transactions into the game thing so you can't progress your weapons and equipment properly without having to splash out.

ron1n:
Oh look, more fake goodwill and/or admissions of guilt from EA/DICE.

They must REALLY be freaking out about the Hardline launch.

Pro-Tip Dice/EA: No one actually gives a shit about hardline, it's just bf4 dlc masquerading as a full price game. In fact, cancel it. Seriously. Cancel it and put each and everyone of your developers onto Star Wars :Battlefront 3 instead because heaven help you if you manage to mess that up.

Hey, is your avatar committing seppuku? Because I think that's what we need here about now. These guys are just not learning.

Should have titled it as Battlefield 4 Damaged Trust with ISIS. Puts a much better spin on things.

hermes200:
I don't know what you expected, but EA has been pretty apologetic and recognized the poor state of BF 4 since the first week. I know everybody loves to attack on the "evil overlord" that is EA, but to say they never admitted or denied that BF 4 had problems is borderline lying...

None of what you quoted is an actual apology. If, as a company, you're going to say "we're sorry," then you need to use the right synonym (sorry, apologize, etc.). I have yet to see EA or DICE do that. And if they have? Please point me in that direction.

-Devin Connors
Tech, News Editor

hermes200:
I know everybody loves to attack on the "evil overlord" that is EA, but to say they never admitted or denied that BF 4 had problems is borderline lying...

The problem is that in the same breath they admit a mistake they try to sell that as a result of "innovation", or do so only after they squeezed all they could out of their customers and need to rebuild enough good will to sell the next broken thing.

Hmmmm.... free DLC for the Sims 4 and now they're "admitting" that they damaged trust with gamers? I have a feeling they're about to pull something really stupid and sleazy, even for EA and this is them trying to get some brownie points from us before hand.

OT: Well, took them long enough to do that. Makes me wonder what dumbass move they're going to pull now.

Devin Connors:

hermes200:

None of what you quoted is an actual apology. If, as a company, you're going to say "we're sorry," then you need to use the right synonym (sorry, apologize, etc.). I have yet to see EA or DICE do that. And if they have? Please point me in that direction.

-Devin Connors
Tech, News Editor

If you are going to be literal about it, sure. They never publicly said "we are sorry" (they didn't here, either)
If I am going to be literal about it, too, I would say this was not the first time they publicly recognized there were issues with the game, as your article reports.

Well they should have an easier time getting a good launch out of Hardline since it's basically the same game with a coat of paint and smaller levels lololololol.

Didn't Jim mention in one of his videos about the cycle of apologies that the AAA industry uses? "AAA does a bad thing. AAA arrogantly denies any claims otherwise. Shortly before next installment comes out, AAA issues insincere apology and promise to do better in next game."

Man, they aren't even bothering to apologize now; instead they're just saying 'yeah, did a bad thing.'

captcha: leave me alone. Wait, captcha, what did I say? I'm sorry.

Naqel:

hermes200:
I know everybody loves to attack on the "evil overlord" that is EA, but to say they never admitted or denied that BF 4 had problems is borderline lying...

The problem is that in the same breath they admit a mistake they try to sell that as a result of "innovation", or do so only after they squeezed all they could out of their customers and need to rebuild enough good will to sell the next broken thing.

That was not an attempt to sell it as "innovation". It was an attempt of boosting the morale of their own team. The "I am proud of my team and thankful at the community" is stock phrasing of a manager that wants to gather good will while addressing the elephant in the room. Its the "thanks for the hard work" part of the speech...

If he have said, instead, "we screwed up, and were irresponsible and lazy to ship a product in such a disgusting state. I feel ashamed of the unprofessionalism at display by myself and everyone that works below me", it would have been more in line with some of the comments on Internet, but it would have been a pretty harsh thing to say about his team, most of which likely were not irresponsible, nor lazy, nor unprofessional; and were busting their collective asses at the time he was writing that letter.

meh EA have been pulling the same crap for years, its why BF2 was the last EA PC game I bought, fun when it worked a pain in the arse the rest of the time.

If EA want to regain trust first they should admit they released a game in beta, then apologize and finally carry out proper QA testing on there next game.

Xbox One version at least is STILL screwy...sound effects take 30 seconds to kick in at the beginning of every match.

Thedutchjelle:
Pretty much this. They're going the "aw we're so sorry won't happen again! Now buy our new game winkywinkysmileyface". But from what I heard BF3 was broken on launch to, so it's not like they're fast learners.

In complete seriousness, BF3 was a perfectly cut diamond next to BF4. In BF3 the supporting characters didn't all come to a dead stop and flatly refuse to move forward until I reloaded the very first level. It was very clear with BF4 that EA had decided the shipping date (and that it would be before CoD Ghosts) and that they really didn't care whether the actual product was finished or not, so long as it was on shelves.

The Molyneux Cycle is spreading! We have to stop this before it infects more franchise!

Didn't EA do something like this last year or something? And Jim Sterling warned us of this exact thing happening?

To some extent, I kinda hope that BF: Hardline will be as buggy or worse than BF4. Angry investors attacking EA again and knocking them down another few pegs... maybe they'll actually learn something if it ever comes to that again.

Jim's narcissist side is gonna have a field day with this.

Kevlar Eater:
Didn't EA do something like this last year or something? And Jim Sterling warned us of this exact thing happening?

To some extent, I kinda hope that BF: Hardline will be as buggy or worse than BF4. Angry investors attacking EA again and knocking them down another few pegs... maybe they'll actually learn something if it ever comes to that again.

If Hardline tanks because of this lack of confidence (and drastic change in setting) EA'll just can the franchise, blame the gamers for not understanding their 'vision' and being too entitled, and buy out a smaller, more popular studio with a successful IP to replace their military FPS gap in the market so they can franchises it, or maybe they'll just replace Battlefield with Battlefront 3, which they recently acquired and are working on due to their deal with Lucasarts?

I don't care what EA or DICE or really any company owned by EA says anymore. As far as I'm concerned EA doesn't exist anymore and EA products are persona non grata with me. I don't care if they say they're the best most consumer friendly company on earth, I don't care if they admit all their sins while crying big man tears while begging for forgiveness. They don't just have to earn back my trust but they'll have to first find me and my interest for me to even pretend I give a fuck about EA.

I can't tell if EA has the most incredible sense of denial in entertainment history....or they just don't care at all.

Actually, nevermind. It's pretty obvious they don't care. They'd probably sell unstable nail bombs to schoolkids as long as it made them a profit and would only admit they messed up once the lawsuits forced them to("So Sorry! Also, our new line of nail bombs are far less unstable. In fact, we'll sell them for 10% off, just to show how badly we feel").

Can we all just boycott EA please?

PLEASE?

It's past time that corporation got punished for its scummy business practice.

"without actually issuing any sort of straightforward apology involving the words "we are sorry"..."

Honestly I can't remember the last time I heard a company give an apology and say they are sorry, certainly not with any genuine sincerity. They always find some way to sidestep actually saying sorry, instead offering empty promises for the future or even passing the blame off to someone else. At best sometimes they will give a halfhearted...well, bribe...to customers in the form XP bonuses (or similar in-game minor bonus) or a free game from a very limited selection that most gamers probably own already.

Personally, I don't care what they say and don't care about Hardline. Words are wind...and even more worthless when coming from EA and anyone attached to them.

Considering this is indicative of a bullshit habit of game publishers, I sincerely hope the combined response from Battlefield fans and gamers at large was "FUCK YOU!!!"

Jim and Yahtzee are both going to have field days with this news. And I want front row seats. [grabs popcorn]

I actually boycotted the game. I love Battlefield, but you will not find BF4 in any of my systems or shelves.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here