All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

Paul Feig and Katie Dippold ain't afraid of no reboots

It was a hot rumor back in August that Bridesmaids director Paul Feig was in talks to direct a reboot (spin-off?) of the comedy classic Ghostbusters featuring a new all-female team of supernatural exterminators, but at the time no one was officially talking.

Now, Feig himself has confirmed via Twitter that not only is the project happening with him in the director's chair, he's bringing The Heat writer Katie Dippold along with him. In addition to the hit Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy buddy-cop comedy, Dippold has also written for Parks & Recreation and is a former member of The Upright Citizens Brigade comedy troupe.

While it is obviously too early for any casting decisions to have been made, founding Ghostbuster Bill Murray has already weighed in with his picks for the new team. Unheard from (as of yet) is Dan Aykroyd, who had been the principle force pushing for a third film for many years.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

This is probably gonna be so painful to watch. Knowing hollywood they'll cast pretty ladies instead of funny ladies...and it'll be horrible.

tzimize:
This is probably gonna be so painful to watch. Knowing hollywood they'll cast pretty ladies instead of funny ladies...and it'll be horrible.

Well hopefully Paul Feig has some control over who he hires.

OT: Sweet, will be interesting to see how this plays.

Adam Jensen:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it? Look at the original Ghostbusters. But of course, women can't be funny, they need to be, first and foremost, sexy.

tzimize:

My sentiments exactly.

As much as I absolutely hate reboots, if they actually made this into a comedy with actual funny women, it would be extremely groundbreaking. It would show women can do more than look pretty on the screen. It would be incredible.
But, lolno - they gonna cast pretty ladies and try to give them a "funny" script... of course, provided they manage to always look desirable at every moment and during every joke.

My suggestion is to cut Bill Murry out of the project entirely, he's the primary reason GB3 was held up for years (He admitted on Howard Stern to never reading the script), and then Harold Ramis died without seeing the film come to be.

Unforgivable in my opinion.

CAPTCHA
filthy rich

As long as they keep Melissa McCarthy the fuck out.

Well that just killed my interest with a bullet right between the eyes. A one gender team would be disappointing but Hollywood does women especially badly for the reasons others have already stated above.

RA92:

And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.

Oh fuck yes! The Heat made me laugh like nothing had in al ong time, and Bridesmaids seemed damn funny if you had your Shame pillow in reach. Hell of a lot better than dragging the corpses of the old Ghostbusters back(those still alive) for "wacky" adventures.

Also, Melissa McCarthy should absolutely be in this, she'd make a reasonably good female Venkman-espy.

aceman67:

RA92:

And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.

Ugh, people and their presumptions. I don't like McCarthy's current brand of low-brow cussy humour. She spiraled downwards from acting as human beings in Mike & Molly and Gilmore Girls to a being caricatures in The Heat and Tammy. All her humor these days seem to be derived from her body or her hygiene or her foul mouth. I'd rather we have Poehler and Fey, who can be comedic without being crass.

aceman67:

RA92:

Somebody has a different opinion then you, so automatically they are a jerk and you claim it's because of her weight, i don't care if she was 500 kilos i would still find her annoying as hell.

calling it now

there's gonna be so many tears, and evo-psych debates as to weather or not women are funny

which is somewhat more amusing than the usual tired disdain we all have to for remakes, and lets be honest, it could have been eather this or some monstrosity with the likes of say....ben stiller, adam sandler and vince Vaughn and the former give credit where credit is due but the latter...well if woman aren't funny then he sure as fuck isn't eather

so yes I approve

I'm ambivalent on this. I am curious, but I also love the classics. Such forces create trouble in the brainmeats.

aceman67:

RA92:

In previous story Melissa McCarthy was floated along with Tina Fey as possible cast members so it not out of left field really.

I look forward to a female Slimer .... ;)
Let's see the cast and then we can try to find out if this will be horrible!

"We're rebooting a classic comedy, only this time ... the whole cast is made up of women! How crazy are we?!"

Meh, it could be a giggle though as long as the film doesn't try to be "edgy" by trying to convey a deeper feminist message or similar. There's a lot of ways to do that, but through the reboot of a cult classic that was nothing more than an amusing tale is not the way.

I may be the odd person out... but I'm not opposed to an all female cast, but I'd rather they just get a cast that was the funniest for the part. You know, instead of trying to go with one gender. It's not just if the people are funny, you might get 4 incredibly funny women, but if they have no chemistry together, you get an incredibly unfunny movie. Or we end up getting the "Hollywood" effect where you give a really well written, funny part to a beautiful woman hoping she can do the role because they want someone who will draw in a crowd. Not saying that a beautiful woman can't be funny, Tina Fey is beautiful and she's hilarious. But bringing in someone with less comedic timing and more dramatic timing because they draw in a crowd because they are strikingly gorgeous could also mess up the balance.

At any rate, I just think that it'd be better to give the roles to whoever works together the best, and I've seen a lot of really good man/woman teams that play off each other, that could all a lot of balance, and could be extremely funny. But then that's just my own ideas.

Oh no, a "Niche" movie for the whiny vocal minority called "women" that I probably won't ever watch or hear about again!

WHY MUST YOU RUIN MY FILMS LIKE THIS, FEMINISM?!?!

Huh...if this is a success, should it be taken as proof that it's not reboots that are the problem, it's male led reboots?

Stop ruining our reboots by sticking men in them!

If it's funny, it's funny. That's all there is to say.

The director and writer both scare me a bit since I dislike their films. Also I agree with the person a little above on Mellisa McCarthy. She is brutally unfunny to me and I hope she isn't in it. Tina Fey is a pretty good choice though. On the subject of Parks and Rec I think Amy Poehler could also pull off this kind of comedy.

The sad part is that it won't be judged on its on merits by either extreme side of the debate. If it's good, the one side will say it's terrible and is only being hyped because of political correctness or some such nonsense, and conversely if it sucks, the other side will say something dumb like its only being hated on because of lonely nerds and angry men.

Okay, if Sarah Silverman was in this, I'd watch this in a heartbeat.

Aubrey Plaza, Amy Poehler, Scarlett Johansson and Sigourney Weaver? I mean, Weaver was in the originals, could be the person to form the team after something happens to the original cast? It could work!

I can't believe you tagged this with "sexism" Bob. Lol.

I thought this was a really late or really early april fools joke but seriously? their doing a movie where an all the main ghostbusters characters are female?.. WTF? did they run out of good ideas?.. this is seriously the worse idea for a reboot i've ever heard.. R.I.P. Ghostbusters..

Get the right people and this could be really good. My personal wishlist would be Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Sarah Silverman and Kristen Schaal :)

8bitOwl:
NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it? Look at the original Ghostbusters. But of course, women can't be funny, they need to be, first and foremost, sexy.

Dude, just because she's attractive doesn't mean she wouldn't be a good ghostbuster. Screw Marvel, she's at her best in comedies IMO.

This is either gonna bomb horribly or be amazing or just end up kinda eh. Just like the original film it really comes down to how well the actors work with each other and how spot on the writing is. Comedy can be done well by anybody gender has nothing to do with it at all but likewise anyone is capable of fucking it up completely.

I really hope this turns out great though. All lady buster crew or not I just want another ghostbusters thing that is actually good.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are slam dunk picks for your "leads". I like Kristen Schaal as "the zany one" and Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley from Community!) as the no-nonsense "straight woman". I'd love that cast.

Unfortunately, I'm far less excited about some of the other prospects. I don't think Maya Rudolph is remotely funny. I think Wiig is overrated and McCarthy is downright obnoxious. And Emma Stone isn't funny.

Anyways, could be good, could be terrible.

aceman67:

RA92:

Dude, there are a lot of reasons to not like Melissa McCarthy, for me she really only needs to come in small doses (no pun intended) like in the movie "This is 40", really liked her in there, but an entire movie with her as a protagonist? Never liked it, the humor comes off way too forced and its easy to understand that a lot of people wont like that humor, its the same with Seth Rogen type of humor, there are a lot of people that cant stand an entire movie of him.

Vault101:
calling it now

there's gonna be so many tears, and evo-psych debates as to weather or not women are funny

which is somewhat more amusing than the usual tired disdain we all have to for remakes, and lets be honest, it could have been eather this or some monstrosity with the likes of say....ben stiller, adam sandler and vince Vaughn and the former give credit where credit is due but the latter...well if woman aren't funny then he sure as fuck isn't eather

so yes I approve

Women can be funny.. just as funny as males. There are some great female comedians in the german stand up scene for example.

Whom i dont have faith in thought are the script writers totaly missing the point of the humor in the original ghostbusters and turn it into another overly loud, special effects laden drivel that consist of witty one liners wich they can use for the trailer.

Could be bad, could be good.
Until proven opposite I assume it will end up like other recent reboots- poor.
Either way we still have originals, right?

Adam Jensen:

8bitOwl:
NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

Dude, just because she's attractive doesn't mean she wouldn't be a good ghostbuster. Screw Marvel, she's at her best in comedies IMO.

Lol no. She sucks as an actress in general.

Sorry, but she's very, very, VERY overrated. The only thing she has going for her is doll-like pretty looks. Not acting talent.

Making a big deal about having an all-female cast actually set back feminism. Are they saying that women can't be funny if they were cast with men?

About Ghostbuster, I think they should leave it alone. It produced one classic movie and a mediocre sequel. Enjoy those.

Even though I like the talent behind the screen, I think their previous collaboration holds the key about why I not too excited about Ghostbuster XX. The Heat worked because it was an original IP. If it was an all-female reboot of Lethal Weapon, it would have sucked. Instead of trying to recreate a classic movie by gender-flipping the main characters. They came up with original characters that came without the baggage of it being done before by a man.

Whole thing reeks of it being a cheap, gimmicky stunt. Instead of it being original, ground-breaking, or socially positive.

It's not going to be like ... Female-Egon, Female-Winston is it?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here