DC Finally One-Ups Marvel: Wonder Woman Announced For 2017

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DC Finally One-Ups Marvel: Wonder Woman Announced For 2017

wonder woman

DC and Warner Bros. have finally done the smart thing and beaten Marvel to something important in the Super Hero Movies Arms Race.

On the heels of the recent reveal that Warner Bros. plans to use Wonder Woman's New 52 origin story for her appearance in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice comes even bigger news: The company has officially announced that a Wonder Woman film is in development, scheduled for release in 2017.

The announcement came as part of Kevin Tsujihara's speech during the Time Warner Investor Day presentation. In addition to Wonder Woman, Tsujihara also revealed 8 other previously-unannounced DC universe films: Suicide Squad in 2016, Justice League Part 1 in 2017; The Flash and Aquaman in 2018; Shazam and Justice League Part 2 in 2019; and Cyborg and Green Lantern in 2020.

During the Presentation, Tsujihara also confirmed that Shazam will indeed star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, recently confirmed to play villain Black Adam, that Zack Snyder will direct Justice League Part 1, and that the company has an unspecified number of new television projects confirmed for 2015 and beyond.

All in all, it's an ambitious slate of (most likely frustratingly grimdark) films, but one heavily dependent upon the success of 2016's Batman v. Superman: Department Dawn of Justice. That film, scheduled for release in March 2016, will likely be a sizable hit, but it drops just two months before Marvel's Captain America 3, a film now all-but-confirmed to feature a conflict between Tony Stark/Iron Man and Captain America that will function as Marvel's version of Batman v. Superman. How BVP:DOJ performs relative to Cap 3 will likely determine the fate of several of these announced films.

For now however, DC has finally managed to get one over on Marvel, announcing a blockbuster-budgeted film based on a female characters while Marvel is still expressing muted skepticism that there's an audience for one. The ball's in your court, Marvel.

We'll have more to say about this news later in the day.

Source: Deadline.

you know... unless the movie is really bad. In which it would be ultimately moot regardless. Good intentions if poorly executed end up being worse then not having done it at all.

Too bad Warner Bros wants to make all their DC movies grimdark. My expectations remain incredibly low until they finally prove they can do something other than Batman correctly.

Really getting bored of such articles now
I don't really like what is implied here. Equal rights for women is a competition for companies to win at...
Which to me says they don't really care about the issue and they're just doing it to win points or check boxes or to one up a competitor.
To me it just screams of "Haha look at us we're making a film about a woman so we're better than you!!"

I'd far rather everyone just shut up about the issue, the more you point them out as two separate groups the harder it will be for them to have parity as one will always resent the other for the advantages they perceive the other as having. It shouldn't be about treating women as equals to men it should be about treating both as humans.

The best thing about this news is that now maybe Marvel will feel pressured to finally get a female superhero movie out there. It's really embarrassing that they were willing to bet big money on a talking space racoon before ms marvel or she hulk.

You know, I'm really shocked they didn't get to work on a spider woman movie right away. Not only do you get a female superhero movie in the MCU, but you basically get to have a spider man movie without the copyright problems; two birds one stone.

And don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Marvel/DC make female superhero movies just because they want to and not just for the sake of saying "Ha, I did it first!" but at this point I'll take what I can get.

"For now however, DC has finally managed to get one over on Marvel, announcing a blockbuster-budgeted film based on a female characters while Marvel is still expressing muted skepticism that there's an audience for one. The ball's in your court, Marvel."

I present exhibit A:

I now present exhibit B:

DC beat them to the punch a long time ago. It's just that the films were horrendous.

I won't celebrate anything until that changes. I'll take a thousand co-star appearances of Black Widow over another half-dozen female-led movies like the above...

Apparently Ms Danvers appears in Avengers 2 I guess we'll find out in May.

Yeah, im sure Marvel is shitting itself at the news. Who cares if its a female superhero, the movie still has to be good. An thats the important part, to make the best Wonder Woman they can. An judging by movie qualities of both companies, Marvel is doing a way better job than DC. The problem with DC is everything is riding on BvS being a success. Now i think it will make money but not the levels they expect.

Trishbot:

"For now however, DC has finally managed to get one over on Marvel, announcing a blockbuster-budgeted film based on a female characters while Marvel is still expressing muted skepticism that there's an audience for one. The ball's in your court, Marvel."

DC beat them to the punch a long time ago. It's just that the films were horrendous.

I won't celebrate anything until that changes. I'll take a thousand co-star appearances of Black Widow over another half-dozen female-led movies like the above...

Don't forget Marvel also did a female lead comic film with Elektra through Fox as well.

What every ones waiting for is a good female comic film and if Wonder Woman does bomb financially even if it reviews well Marvel will take even longer before doing one as Disney won't risk it.

There was Supergirl in the 80's, nearly forgot about that.

P-89 Scorpion:

Trishbot:

Don't forget Marvel also did a female lead comic film with Elektra through Fox as well.

What every ones waiting for is a good female comic film and if Wonder Woman does bomb financially even if it reviews well Marvel will take even longer before doing one as Disney won't risk it.

To be fair Elektra was shit and when it comes to Marvel and female superheroes Evangeline Lily been looking kind of waspy lately.

So between 2016 and 2020 Warner Bros plans to release 2 comic films a year and not one is a standalone Batman film 'slow clap' about time.

2016 looks real busy with 7 comic films between Marvel and DC across 4 of the 'big 6' film studios I wonder how Universal and Paramount will compete in 2016?

Good on Warner Brothers for taking the first step! Now all they have to do is make it a good movie, and not send it up the river because "Women cant star in successful action movies".

No one's one-up'ed anyone until we see the box office returns.

Mcoffey:
Good on Warner Brothers for taking the first step! Now all they have to do is make it a good movie, and not send it up the river because "Women cant star in successful action movies".

That's a big if. I think we can probably assume this movie will kind of suck. But it's still interesting as an unknown quantity.

RossaLincoln:

Mcoffey:

That's a big if. I think we can probably assume this movie will kind of suck. But it's still interesting as an unknown quantity.

I hope not. I'm hoping that Warner will learn the lessons from The Hunger Games, Frozen, and The Heat, and that women-led movies can succeed in all genres if they have the right talent and the right studio support.

I'm really hoping that Warner Brothers knows what they're doing with the "No Jokes" thing, and has a plan or an overall theme or message they're trying to convey beyond "We're serious! Grrr! We're just like The Dark Knight!"

Unfortunately I kinda doubt that last one, so I'm also hoping that the grimdark mandate backfires before Wonderwoman is released and we can have a female-led superhero movie that is awesome and fun.

[quote="RossaLincoln" post="7.862941.21508790"]DC Finally One-Ups Marvel: Wonder Woman Announced For 2017

wonder woman

During the Presentation, Tsujihara also confirmed that Shazam will indeed star Dwayne "The Rock" Jones,

Pretty sure its Dwayne Johnson not Dwayne Jones :p

I fail to see how a cinematic universe with no successful films, and only 1 (2?) released films can be said to be "One-UP"ing a cinematic universe with 10 movies and a TV show, nearly all of which have been hits.

Unless we're talking about all Marvel/DC movies that have been released ever, in which case the point is moot because this has been going on longer than most of us have been alive ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(serial) )

I'm really not at all sure that Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk would really fit into the Marvel Universe in its current incarnation. I'd be perfectly happy to see a Black Widow movie, if and when such a thing comes about. But I still think this assumption that there couldn't possibly be any plans underway in a carefully plotted cinematic continuity that don't warrant immediately shoehorning in a character solely because they're female is woefully misbegotten.

So. Wonder Woman movie. That's nice! Not really something to break out the brass section for; still could be shot down before it gets off the ground if BvS:DoJ tanks; still have more faith in Marvel to make movies entirely worth watching right now than in DC, and I still think that's more important.

But, y'know, if they make a good Wonder Woman movie- hell, if against all current expectations they make a good BvS movie, and thus give her some momentum by way of a proper introduction- I'll be pleased as punch.

Callate:
I'm really not at all sure that Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk would really fit into the Marvel Universe in its current incarnation. I'd be perfectly happy to see a Black Widow movie, if and when such a thing comes about. But I still think this assumption that there couldn't possibly be any plans underway in a carefully plotted cinematic continuity that don't warrant immediately shoehorning in a character solely because they're female is woefully misbegotten.

So. Wonder Woman movie. That's nice! Not really something to break out the brass section for; still could be shot down before it gets off the ground if BvS:DoJ tanks; still have more faith in Marvel to make movies entirely worth watching right now than in DC, and I still think that's more important.

But, y'know, if they make a good Wonder Woman movie- hell, if against all current expectations they make a good BvS movie, and thus give her some momentum by way of a proper introduction- I'll be pleased as punch.

When it comes to Marvel introducing new female heroes I think one's on the way if this photo of Evangeline Lilly is anything to go by:

As for Wonder Woman I wish DC the best.

Fappy:
Too bad Warner Bros wants to make all their DC movies grimdark. My expectations remain incredibly low until they finally prove they can do something other than Batman correctly.

This. I've honestly read more Wonder Woman than Batman comics(and I've read a whole lot of Batman), but I do not trust DC or Gal Gadot to give me the kind of cinema experience I want. When they rolled her out they showed us a twiggy woman in brown leather and an angry scowl. That's not who the character is or ever was. The entire concept is mismatched from every conceivable angle.

Wonder Woman is probably one of the most consistently silly reading characters on the entire JLA roster. Her costume is the brightest, her enemies the most off kilter(her top enemy alternates between a furry with cramps and a little person), and her arsenal the most unconventional(she has a lie detector rope, a reverse death ray, and a psychic jetplane). Turning her into spartacus pleases nobody.

MatParker116:
Apparently Ms Danvers appears in Avengers 2 I guess we'll find out in May.

MatParker116:

When it comes to Marvel introducing new female heroes I think one's on the way if this photo of Evangeline Lilly is anything to go by:

As for Wonder Woman I wish DC the best.

I hope those both happen. I'd also like to see Spider-Woman while there's still some HYDRA cells left and She-Hulk before Banner takes an off-planet vacation. Heck, Avengers 2 and Ant-Man could set all 4 up. That'd diversify the cast and bolster the ranks for the Civil Skirmish.

More on topic: Good on DC/WB for committing to a Wonder Woman movie. I hope it does well and doesn't have Batman shoe-horned in.

While I would love to see a Black Widow movie (especially after Cap 2), and I think a Wasp movie would be better than Ant Man, I'd rather Disney work on making good movies and not fall pray to toxic gender politics and force out a movie to appease people who only care about the number of x chromosomes a character has.

To be fair, the She Hulk Netflix series has been confirmed form ages, and two, a Wonder Woman movie won't change the fact that she's fucking horribally cast in the BvS.

"and Green Lantern in 2020."
So, the taint will linger on that one for about 6 more years, huh?

SUICIDE SQUAD. (Yeah, more to talk about them just a female character, Supergirl was released in 85 i think). On to the new stuff. :-)

Now i know who Suicide Squad are, they are villians they do missions - thats about it. Sounds like they are doing it because its similiar to Guardians (groups of outlaws as heros). Thing is the Suicide Squad are a group of known villians from other comics joined into a team - so it seems stupid to bring it out so soon.

How is this a one-up? I mean, DC also did "Super Girl" and "Cat Woman" both of which were utter shit. When the Wonder Woman movie is *good* I will believe DC did something worth talking about. Until then, they have accomplished nothing.

As other have mentioned, female led superhero films exist. Even if they weren't done very well (Elektra) they've been around. The only way they win is if it's a successful film with strong representation of woman... and we won't know that until it's released.

Look, I was anti-GG (genuinely don't give a damn now), I'm pro inclusion, and I'm "equalist", if not full blown feminist. However, the over-compensation of news stories specifically regarding women (which has noticeably increased after the Escapist accepted the pro-GG guys from other sites) is getting a bit farcical. I want to hear these stories, but tone it down a bit please?

It's sad that the Supergirl film gets bashed so much these days, I really liked it when I was a kid. I just hope that Wonder Woman is a great film, because it certainly should be. But that's my hope for all the DC movies.

That last bit misses the point. There aren't presently any leading Marvel female characters that they feel will draw in a crowd. No one has ever doubted that Wonder Woman should have her own movie. I say put more female characters in lead rolls in books, Marvel. Then you will pretty much create the demand. So far as I'm concerned (and I'm coming from an extremely pro Marvel camp), they have never really had any female characters that drew the popularity that Wonder Woman has had for a long time.

Also: Ugh... Zack Snyder on Justice League. I already hate the movie and I haven't seen it.

Hum... there has been sort of an unfortunate trend that Wonderwoman movies would get announced and later cancled. So color me carefully pessimistic? I'd love to see a Wonderwoman movie though. Even though the direct to DVD animated film about her was pretty much as close to perfect as it could get for me. Let's see what this one brings to the table.

Yeah DC sure is gutsy after several years finally adapting the most famous super-heroine in the world to movies, what a bold insane idea, now if you excuse me I'll watch this movie with a talking tree and a racoon.

Why does Wonder Woman look like a bad Xena knock-off?

In your satin tights, fighting for your rights... and the ol' brown, brown and brown?

No offense, but hasn't Marvel already stated that they'd be making a Black Widow movie with David Hayter as script writer? And how is it in any way DC one upping Marvel by having a film about the 3rd most iconic member of the Justice League? Having a Wonder Woman isn't a bonus for the DCCU, that's what you'd expect to be made and I refuse to give them poits for that, especially when the quality is sketchy at the moment.

Trishbot:

I present exhibit A:

I now present exhibit B:

That is kind of true. Both companies together have made 3 female lead superheroine movies. I think the clause people like to put on it these days is that those were A) Uniformly terrible and B) Done in a time before dawning a cape and mask could make you into a star and were the biggest draws at the box office.

Elektra, Supergirl, and Catwoman I don't think really count because of those stipulations. If nothing else the only live action superheroine anything that seems to be even fondly remembered was the old Wonder Woman TV show and right now it sits in that weird space in the fandom that the Adam West Batman does. People are aware of it but I think they'd rather just forget it ever happened which is a shame. It seems rather charming if nothing else. Still I'm a bit optimistic at this point. It sounds like someone is finally getting a long term plan together for this which is the whole reason why Marvel's worked so well.

While Marvel's characters are good DC has a much bigger legacy. At least three of their characters have become pop culture icons that people who don't even read comics know their names. Also more people I think were able to name one or two more members of the Justice League outside of the big three where as before 2012 no one in the mainstream could've named you a single Avengers member except for maybe The Hulk.

To me though the most interesting movie on that list is Suicide Squad. That seems to be aiming for the off beat weirdness that Marvel got by trying to make Guardians of the Galaxy except I think its even cooler and more interesting because that team traditionally is made up of nothing but anti-heroes or supervillains. Which wouldn't that be an awesome way to introduce some supervillains like Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, and Harley Quinn who seem to be sort of the main stays of that team. Any chance we can just get Tara Strong to dawn the mask and hat for real? I mean really that could work.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here