Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel's "Bogan Shotgun" is The Most Australian Joke Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel's "Bogan Shotgun" is The Most Australian Joke Ever

"Boganella, the talking Shotgun" makes reference to one of the most glorious/awful aspects of Aussie culture.

Most Australians will instantly be familiar with the term "Bogan," a term used to describe the most unsophisticated, racist slobs in our country. The closest equivalent in "American" would probably be "Redneck," although Bogans, with their high-pitched annoying voices and tendency to end every sentence with the phrase "c**t", are truly unique to Australia. Even though we hate them, we also kind of love them. Bless their hearts.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is a game made almost entirely by 2K's Australia-based 2K Australia, so it is absolutely dripping with references to Australian culture. But the very best of these references has to be Boganella, the talking Shotgun. That's right, they made a Bogan into a shotgun, and she talks... pretty much exactly the way you'd expect a Bogan gun would talk.

The video above speaks for itself, but be warned that it has some very naughty language. It's one of the greatest jokes in the new game.

Source: YouTube

It sounds a lot like the character "Shazza" from the 'Housos' franchise, which is all about Bogan culture.

Ever since I was blessed with seeing Wolf Creek 2 recently (Haven't gotten to see the first yet but I fucking loved this sequel) I picture most rural badass aussies as Mick Taylor.

Steven Bogos:
truly unique to Australia

Bogans are alive and well in Kiwiland, too... or are we counting them an Australians for convenience and to annoy the piss out of them?

Also, White Trash/Trailer Trash would be the US equivalent to Bogans.

bogans exist outside 'strya, new zealand has them as well, but they are basically the same

jackpipsam:
It sounds a lot like the character "Shazza" from the 'Housos' franchise, which is all about Bogan culture.

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe it is her voicing the gun.

I laughed my arse off at the weapon change phrases. Can't wait for my copy of this game to arrive.

There's so many more wonderfully insulting Aussie slang they could have there.

"Get a dog up ya you mug!"
"You're pissin into a south wester" or just "Taking the piss"
Alf's favorite
"You flaming gala!"

Maybe it'll be a DLC pack. Bogan-lands

RhombusHatesYou:

Not exactly. On the surface it may seem that way but US pejoratives about white people like that that have a hierarchy that's centuries old. In this case white trash are above rednecks and hillbillys being more semi-urban and semi-civilized with other pejoratives ranking better off than them with some being lower while others have regional variations like cracker being a self-identified slang of pride for Floridians and Georgians along their border.

I must know how to obtain this. Please, if anyone knows, tell me.

The funny thing is, this boganella shotgun... is how the entire world perceives Australians. Foul mouthed rednecks (though generally with a dash of alcoholic racism. Like real bogans.) We are what most of us Australians consider bogans, to the rest of the world. Let me repeat that, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, Australia is filled with bogans.

But hey, as long as we can laugh at the word cunt, why bother disabusing them of that notion?

Cunt is a phrase now?

But, not a proper bogan unless "fuck off, we're full" is mentioned, or the Southern Cross is plastered across everything.

Oh god, that'll get old so fast.
Although I would like to see a Let's Player try to do their commentary with this thing mouthing off in the background.
Overall a thing made for eyerolling, but I have to admit "See ya round, you fuckin' fuck!" gave me a chuckle for some reason.

Deadcyde:
The funny thing is, this boganella shotgun... is how the entire world perceives Australians. Foul mouthed rednecks (though generally with a dash of alcoholic racism. Like real bogans.) We are what most of us Australians consider bogans, to the rest of the world. Let me repeat that, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, Australia is filled with bogans.

But hey, as long as we can laugh at the word cunt, why bother disabusing them of that notion?

Don't be silly man, in the rest of the English speaking world, you're just seen as laid-back sponging couch-monsters that show up at your mate's rented flat and never ever leave ;P

Oh god. That's fucking hilarious. Sounds like a mix of Bogan and Aboriginal. All she needs to do is use the term "Bloody Noonga" and she's perfect. Boganella is mai waifu.

I cannot wait for people to get extraordinarily offended at the fact that she calls the player a cunt. Oh god, the butthurt is gonna be fantastic.

Okaaaaaaay.

After listening to the video, I suspect this gun would be funny for about three minutes, after which it would give me horrifying flashbacks to the time I lived next door to a group of bogans running a meth lab. Or it would just make the game sound like an average night out in Sydney.

thaluikhain:
Cunt is a phrase now?

But, not a proper bogan unless "fuck off, we're full" is mentioned, or the Southern Cross is plastered across everything.

Bogans have turned c*nt not only into a phrase but some even use it as a form of punctuation.

jackpipsam:

There are definitely quotes from the show in there!

I-I have no words for how well this is done.
The only way this could be more authentic is if it started being racist and calling everyone who's not white boat people.
That or have it say "Tony Abott's a fucking top cunt ay" which I guess could also be counted as being a racist, not sure but definitely close.

VanQ:
Oh god. That's fucking hilarious. Sounds like a mix of Bogan and Aboriginal. All she needs to do is use the term "Bloody Noonga" and she's perfect. Boganella is mai waifu.

I cannot wait for people to get extraordinarily offended at the fact that she calls the player a cunt. Oh god, the butthurt is gonna be fantastic.

I suspect she didn't use "Bloody Noonga" because it's incredibly racist.

ElMinotoro:

VanQ:

I suspect she didn't use "Bloody Noonga" because it's incredibly racist.

Probably. I don't even know what it means. All I know is a short walk through Fortitude Valley in Brisbane is enough to hear it multiple times.

i just got a toxic oz kit before i got my bogonella (of the hurty variety) so now as i crash to the ground i get a long overblown and i have to say suggestively moist farting noise i mean its the most puerile thing you ever heard, until i pull the trigger.

i do not understand why this is amusing me so much! i am a grown man (child)

Jonathan Hornsby:

From Pickles. Just do whatever he tells you

Jonathan Hornsby:

There's a side mission Pickle gives you to go find a treasure map, which leads to a room with a lunatic ranting to himself that you shoot in the face. That leads to a mission finding his long lost sister. That second mission will reward you with the shotgun.

beastro:

RhombusHatesYou:

Not exactly. On the surface it may seem that way but US pejoratives about white people like that that have a hierarchy that's centuries old. In this case white trash are above rednecks and hillbillys being more semi-urban and semi-civilized with other pejoratives ranking better off than them with some being lower while others have regional variations like cracker being a self-identified slang of pride for Floridians and Georgians along their border.

That's the thing, bogans are almost entirely suburban or larger regional town types - basically, the less public housing there is and the further you are away from a dole office, the bogan density drops sharply.

Shamanic Rhythm:

thaluikhain:
Cunt is a phrase now?

Bogans have turned c*nt not only into a phrase but some even use it as a form of punctuation.

Pffft, amateurs. In Modern Strine, it can be used as a noun, punctuation, verb, adjective and adverb. It's as versatile as 'fuck' once it loses it's shock value... which was about 20 years ago.

RhombusHatesYou:

beastro:

RhombusHatesYou:

That's the thing, bogans are almost entirely suburban or larger regional town types - basically, the less public housing there is and the further you are away from a dole office, the bogan density drops sharply.

I get cha.

Is there any term for the really uncouth, creepy people that live in really, really rural areas?

In the US hillbilly might not be as stinging but it pretty much classifies the bottom of the bottom people, those living in the remote corners of the Appalachians with mud floors, plywood houses and massive interbreeding.

beastro:
Is there any term for the really uncouth, creepy people that live in really, really rural areas?

Not really, no. Most people, if they could be bothered to refer to them, would use redneck or hillbilly pretty much interchangably. We have no problem stealing perfectly servicable terms from elsewhere.

VanQ:
Probably. I don't even know what it means. All I know is a short walk through Fortitude Valley in Brisbane is enough to hear it multiple times.

It originates from racist pisstakes on the accepted/recognised term for indigenous Australians in Western Australia - Noongar.

Deadcyde:

I have legitimately never encountered this stereotype before now.

Aside from /very/ tongue-in-cheek portrayals of you all as Steve Irwin clones (Which gets old), the only stereotype I've really seen is, "Like the British, but with greater emphasis on the vowels and inverted seasons."

Mind, I'm an American, and we take pride in not learning anything about any other culture, so, you know. Pinch of salt.

Should have called it Pauline, I reckon.

Also should be screaming 'We're fuckin' full!' and 'GOT A DOLLAR FOR THE BUS, MATE?!' and shooting in the shape of the Southern Cross, while singing Jimmy Barnes.

Ugh. I think this will be like the Bane from BL2. Funny for 30 seconds, then sold off for cash or given to the Grinder.

it's like I'm at the train station. I love this gun, so much.

Yup, that certainly is one foulmouthed gun! A few funny lines in there; I actually haven't gotten this far yet, I'm usually pretty slow to advance in these games, but the humor and story is pretty enjoyable at this point. Not sure if it is as much fun as BL2 was, I Jack is still funny but not as much as in the previous game... Or the next game? Agh, the whole pre-sequel thing is confusing.

Skeleon:
Oh god, that'll get old so fast.

Yea, the talking guns in Borderlands games tend to get old for me pretty quickly X3. Even if they are good I'll just use them for a little bit to see what funny lines they spout, then sell them off or at least stick them in my bank. They kinda get in the way of all the other dialouge, as characters will constantly be doing plot-related talking or staying funny stuff during firefights.

I'm pretty sure that I've dated the voice actress for that shotgun!

Yeah, this gun made me laugh multiple times. However it's no Shotgun 1340, who loves killing.

I didn't get tired of the Bane in bordlerlands 2 because of the wonderfully annoying voice, but because it glued you to the floor and I ALWAYS got the slag feculent variant every single time so it has crap damage.

Hyperion Morningstar is fun too. You always have a nag in your ear telling you you're a bad murderous person and you don't exercise as often as you should, fatty. It's a pretty good sniper rifle too, high headshot damage so it can compete with higher level guns as long as you're always hitting the head.

Those are all fun, but they aren't a shotgun that calls you a c**nt. I want that, but I decided to buy shadow of mordor instead of this. I'll get it on a sale when all my friends will, then we can play it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here