Rumor: A Female Robin in Batman v Superman?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: A Female Robin in Batman v Superman?

robin girl

Is Sucker Punch actress playing Batman's sidekick?

A reported $5 million fine said to be Warner Bros' preferred punishment for anyone who leaks information about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was apparently not enough to deter an anonymous extra from handing Detroit's WILX-10 News a juicy rumor: Carrie Kelly may be coming to the DC Comics Movieverse.

Though not part of "official" mainstream DC Universe continuity, Kelly was the first Robin depicted as female in comics. Jenna Malone, who worked with director Zack Snyder in Sucker Punch, is the actress believed to be playing the part. Warner Bros has declined to comment.

Created by Frank Miller in his seminal 1980s alternate-future story The Dark Knight Returns, Carrie Kelly is a clever teenaged girl who abandons her neglectful parents to seek a father figure in the recently-unretired Bruce Wayne. She trains to be the new Robin, and becomes instrumental in Batman's renewed conflicts with both The Joker and Superman. Dawn of Justice has been heavily-rumored to be borrowing major elements of story and design from the story, which was credited with renewing the popularity of the Batman franchise in the 80s.

Source: Variety

Not only do I not have a problem with this, but I've always preferred the idea of female Robin. The dude is just so boring.

Very well, sir, I shall come right out and say it. Have you forgotten what happened to Jason?

Hmmm, is this a Spoiler?

Yeah, yeah, I know

How much you want to bet people complain they should stick to the comics and not add new characters like "girl Robin?"

octafish:
Very well, sir, I shall come right out and say it. Have you forgotten what happened to Jason?

Doesn't Carrie end up with a much nicer fate than Jason?

Well, do we really want frank miller smeared all over this?

The news doesn't suprised me as the Batman in Batman vs Superman does look more akin to Frank Miller version (him being old and the bat insigna on his chest).

*yawn* Oh look.. someone accidentally leaked sensitive buzzgenerating information... bad person. *nudgenudgewinkwink*

At this point I don't think there's actually a script for SvB more that DC is just throwing pardon leaking stuff out and seeing what sticks...

Let's be honest...never mind that these leaks seem to happen at precisely timed almost monthly intervals... makes you wonder huh?

BUt as for the robin.. well.. uhm that'll be interesting so we'll have batman with a sidekick that's just as emo and gritty and dark as him... lovely because as DC said they're going all gritty and serious and grown-up with this movie...

so... batgirl right? isn't that the whole reason she exists, to be a female robin?

thaluikhain:
Hmmm, is this a Spoiler?

Yeah, yeah, I know

Hey. High Five.

This news might be easier to handle (for people who actually need help handling this news) if we also have grownup Nightwing alongside girl Robin.

BarelyAudible:

thaluikhain:
Hmmm, is this a Spoiler?

Yeah, yeah, I know

Hey. High Five.

This news might be easier to handle (for people who actually need help handling this news) if we also have grownup Nightwing alongside girl Robin.

Yeah, actually have a proper Bat family for once, not just Batman, who is the least interesting of them all.

Adam Jensen:
Not only do I not have a problem with this, but I've always preferred the idea of female Robin. The dude is just so boring.

Yeah, no problem with this either. It would have been different if they were taking a previously male Robin and making him female just because (because goddamnit is it that hard not to fuck with canon when it isn't necessary?), but using a canon female Robin? How could I complain?

Considering the leaked teaser footage showed off Batman in his Superman fighting armor from DKR, it's not really surprising
that Carrie might be in.

Dark Knight Returns seems to be a major influence with the whole Superman vs Batman angle, which worries me. DKR may be a good Batman story but it is absolutely NOT a good representation of Superman. That version of him only serves as a foil to Batman and his goals.

Zachary Amaranth:
How much you want to bet people complain they should stick to the comics and not add new characters like "girl Robin?"

octafish:

Doesn't Carrie end up with a much nicer fate than Jason?

No, she ends up in the Dark Knight Strikes Again.

ElMinotoro:

*shudders* I stand corrected. That's a fate worse than death!

Some might consider Robin to be a girl so consider this a VICTORY AGAINST SEXISM ENFORCING SEXISM....*Ahem*.

i don't know about this movie but i rather liked the dark night returns after all i saw it on tv then bought it

"Kerrie Kelly"

Me: uuuuuuggggghhhhhh

"Sucker punch"

Me: gargling noises as I die

Just call it the dark knight returns. Just call it that. We know what it is. Zach Snyder is so dead set on his crappy, ultra gritty adeptation of a crappy, ultra gritty comic book that he probably creamed himself at the opportunity. It'll be dark without any sophistication. I don't like frank miller. He tries to hard to be edgy. I dislike Snyder for the exact same reason. It doesn't help that Snyder is a miller fan boy.

Zachary Amaranth:

ElMinotoro:

*shudders* I stand corrected. That's a fate worse than death!

I dont know guys, two words. "Red Hood".

At least she hasnt been retconned a dozen times into....that.

(Plus, I believe the original line quoted by octafish was a direct quote from the book.)

First off, Carrie Kelly is hand's down the second worst Robin behind only Jason Todd and the only reason she is ahead of Jason Todd is because her run was relatively short. If they have to have a Batman ally then have Nightwing. If they feel the need to go all diverse for diversity's sake and cram a female Batman sidekick into this then go with Barbara Gordon as either Bat Girl or Oracle. Either of these would be much MUCH better than Carrie Kelly.

The simple fact is that this movie already has too many damned DC characters in it and adding more is only going to make it worse. If they would have done it properly it would have been Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor, maybe one B List Batman villain like Victor Zsasz who would get maybe 10-15 minutes at most and an after the credits appearance by Wonder Woman. At the current rate however I wouldn't be surprised to hear that such Batman "staples" as Killer Moth, Humpty Dumpty, Dweedle Dee, Dweedle Dum, Zebra Man, The Crazy Quilt, Ten Eyed Man, and last but not least Kite Man will also be making cameo appearances.

Double post, thanks a lot Captcha!

MovieBob:

Though not part of "official" mainstream DC Universe continuity...

Incorrect... Carrie Kelley IS part of New 52 continuity.
Of course DC did what they do: hyped her appearance and failed to follow through by committing to her to this cover then making her little more than Damian Wayne's tutor.

First thought: "Oh god, here we go with the character overload again."
Second thought: ...actually that was about it really.

I'm fine with a female Robin. But the more I hear about this movie, the less I like it. Frank Miller is a good enough writer, but I have felt for a very long time that the Dark Knight Returns story is not particularly good. The only real thing that people love is the example of it being how Batman can beat Superman. It's only OK in my opinion. That said, I am against it being the inspiration for the movie for the reason I have stated above. I don't foresee this being very good at all judging by the rushed timeline and I think Zack Snyder needs to take a long walk off a short pier. He isn't that good of a director and he is kind of a one trick pony.

Adam Jensen:

A boring character is a boring character, regardless of sex. A female character isn't automatically going to not boring. Also, there were several Robins and people tend to have a favorite.

I don't have a problem with having a female Robin, but it's more DKR. It was good for it's time, but it really hasn't aged well and I'd rather it wasn't the apparent guiding influence for the film.

BigTuk:

BUt as for the robin.. well.. uhm that'll be interesting so we'll have batman with a sidekick that's just as emo and gritty and dark as him... lovely because as DC said they're going all gritty and serious and grown-up with this movie...

:/ Hmmm....Yeah. Isn't the point of Robin(m/f), Batgirl, Oracle, or whatever kid they have running around with him to be there to balance out the gritty broody Batman with jokey antics and wit?

But they said a while back that there won't be ANY jokes in Batman vs Superman, right?

So what the hell is Robin going to be? Younger female Batman?
Eh, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I mean, maybe they'll go back on the "no jokes" thing.

Regardless of gender or history I prefer Batman without sidekicks. That or its just that the live action sidekicks never grabbed my interest.

Wow that actually makes 100% sense in the context of what they're trying to adapt...come on DC what are you gonna change...you need more fanboy rage

Baresark:
A boring character is a boring character, regardless of sex.

And that would be a good point if different sex didn't also mean a different personality. And Carrie Kelley is not just female version of Dick Grayson. It's an entirely different character in a Robin costume. She's infinitely better than any other version of Robin IMO.

Suppose it makes sense, considering Batfleck is partially inspired by the Dark Knight Returns. Kind of sucks that they'll probably won't be any other Robins adapted for a while, but hopefully they at the very least have Nightwing show up at one point.

Adam Jensen:

Baresark:

And that would be a good point if different sex didn't also mean a different personality. And Carrie Kelley is not just female version of Dick Grayson. It's an entirely different character in a Robin costume. She's infinitely better than any other version of Robin IMO.

Whoa now, let's not say anything crazy here. Carrie, while having the honor of being the first female Robin, is not exactly a complex character or anything considering the one shot nature of the Dark Knight Returns. Anyone who says Carrie is better than any other Robin than Jason Todd really hasn't looked into her beyond the fact she's the first female Robin. She works for her story and all, but she's not exactly a character I would prop up over Dick, Tim (while kind of bland at points, I've heard good things about his run as Red Robin), or even Damien. Until she actually becomes a full-fledged Robin with an actual history behind here, it's hard for me to see how she could ever be better than them.

Oh god, this movie is already doomed to failure. Now they're going to do this and it will ruin the possibility of having a female Robin in any other movie for 20 years because this will unfairly catch a lot of blame. And we'll get even more of the stupid "women superheros" can't sell movies crap Hollywood has been giving us for years.

Adam Jensen:

Baresark:

My point was simply that there is more than one Robin. There has not been only one male Robin, there has been technically 4 different male Robins, and two other female robins, for that matter. "He" isn't a boring character. You have to be more specific: Damian Wayne, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd or Tim Drake. They were all very different from each other.

In a lot of circles, Tim Drake wins out in popularity. My one buddy really loves Damian Wayne for some reason. It's fine if you like Carrie Kelly the best, but you did frame it like it was the fact the character was female is the interesting part. She was a pretty popular (overall) Robin, though her stint was short lived. You can thank WB for that.

It's funny but Carrie Kelly from DKR is the only Robin I've ever liked. Possibly because that was the first Batman comic I ever read, though. <_<

Since she was in the DKR--which came out...jeez, it's been almost 30 years--at least folks can't maintain that DC is creating a female superhero just to satisfy "Political Correctness".

*remembers that this is the internet*

Not that that will stop some folks, I suppose. -_-

mad825:
Some might consider Robin to be a girl so consider this a VICTORY AGAINST SEXISM ENFORCING SEXISM....*Ahem*.

True. She is Robin's Robinwomen to Batman's Batgirl.

How progressive. Soon she will be her own superhero. Herogirl!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here