House of M #1 Joining Marvel's Summer 2015 Line-up

House of M #1 Joining Marvel's Summer 2015 Line-up

House of M 2015

Prepare to revisit Scarlet Witch's alternate reality, as the 2005 limited comic series House of M is getting resurrected next summer.

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Marvel has announced a new series with a familiar title will be hitting comic shops in the summer of 2015. This time it's House of M #1, which references a 2005 limited-run series of the same name. Set after the events of Planet X and Avengers Disassembled, House of M mostly took place in an alternate reality as a result of Scarlet Witch's reality-bending powers get way out of control. This false world affects many of Marvel's storied superheroes, with some of them taking on new lives with no memory of what came before.

House of M was an eight-issue crossover series that ran from June to November 2005, with the events of the alternate reality crossing over into real-world repercussions. Penned by Brian Michael Bendis, the run eventually saw many of X-Men's mutants losing their powers. There were later several other House of M tie-ins, including during Marvel's Civil War.

This is the fourth announcement Marvel has made in the last week that implies the publisher is revisiting older events; first it was Civil War, then the two-series mash-up Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies, followed by Armor Wars, all of which are coming next year. Also coming next year: a little movie called Avengers: Age of Ultron. How will it all tie together in the MCU? We have no idea, so leave your best conspiracy theories in the comments.

Ok I was joking in the last Marvel news about reusing past story arc! Well ok I'm not too bother about this one since it's just revisiting that universe than being a proper story arc like the othe stories mention recently.

5th. You forgot about Secret Wars. Next thing ya know, they're going to be announcing Earth X, followed by Universe X, then Old Man Logan - which would be redundant since he's kinda dead now.

They're also doing a Planet Hulk storyline again! And Years of Future Past! It's a classic Marvel reactivation!

Right, now I'm going deep into speculation territory here. I have no proof other than what has been announced, but this is my theory on what the House of Ideas is up to:

Currently, some of the Avengers comics have jumped forwards eight months, as part of the build up to Time Runs Out, which I believe is taking place next April/May. According to Marvel themselves, this Time Runs Out event will involve them doing "something they've never done before in their 75 year history". This is then going to be directly tied into the new Secret Wars event, which has that art where all the heroes from multiple universes and time periods are fighting.

I reckon that Secret Wars will essentially be a reset button for the Marvel Universe. In a similar way to the New 52, I think Marvel will essentially "destroy" the universe, then spend Secret Wars having them hash it out amongst themselves. At the end, the remaining heroes get "rebirthed" into a brand new universe, which is similar to the classic 616 universe, but with changes in history (probably because they want to bring in a bunch of characters from other universes, like Miles Morales). Then, once we hit Summer 2015, all these "old-but-new" limited series run, explaining HOW the history of Marvel has changed, and how these newly introduced characters will have affected events.

Essentially, these series are stories we have seen before, but, for want of a better word, rebooted. Makes it easier for new fans, possibly directed in by the success of the MCU, plus allows Marvel to consolidate their admittedly messy multiverse.

Either that, or they really HAVE just run out of ideas.

Marvel need to do something to attract me back. A lifelong Marvel fan, I've found myself coming home with 90% DC comics these last few months. Actually, probably more. A universe reset would actually be quite nice from where I'm standing

I'm afraid that Marvel is starting to suffer from what big game publishers suffer from: Fear of innovation. I personally would rather they move forward with their universe rather than constantly rehashing/revisiting old stories.

Is this whole decade just a rerun of the last one for Marvel? Dead god this is almost as annoying as New 52. Almost.

Verlander:
Marvel need to do something to attract me back. A lifelong Marvel fan, I've found myself coming home with 90% DC comics these last few months. Actually, probably more. A universe reset would actually be quite nice from where I'm standing

Good god, please no. A universe reset is the absolute last thing they need. New 52 and it's complete botching of a great many characters single handedly drove me away from DC. For my money, there are better stories being told all over the Marvel line up these days. Ms. Marvel, Thor, Captain Marvel, and several others are stronger than anything I've seen from DC in a long time (that wasn't written by Grant Morrison anyway). Doing a universe reset does absolutely nothing but confuse long time fans and, in the case of DC, even the writers into not knowing what's canon anymore and making deciphering what the hell is going on damn near impossible. For some reason, DC had one successful reset (because the continuity prior to the was even more of a mess than it is now if you can believe that), and now they think they need to keep doing it every five years or so. It's unnecessary.

Just think, soon they'll be repeating One More Day!

Wow, has the idea bucket really run so dry that they are rehashing storylines from decades ago? Okay, updating some here and there is okay but they are just trotting out title after title for next year's lineup.

...Gonna be honest: When I first saw this headline, I thought the "M" stood for "Mouse", and thought, "Mickey Mouse is going to enter the Marvel Universe?!"

I see that I was foolishly mistaken. Carry on.

ritchards:
Just think, soon they'll be repeating One More Day!

I am trying really hard to scream in murderous rage from that comment. I know it was sarcasm but that was the story that made me quit comics.

OT. Is Joe Quesada still in Marvel, I feel like he's doing this bullshit.

Marvel HQ, several weeks ago:

Underling: Dammit, we justcan't think of a big summer event for 2015. What should we do Joe?"

Joe Quesada: Redo everything.

Underling: Everything sir?

Joe: EVERYTHING!

Anyone else think "So they're officially going to make Mickey Mouse a Marvel Hero now?" when they saw "House of Mouse"? No? Just me? I'll shut up now. :P

Edit: Judging by the post 3 posts above this one, it seems I wasn't the only one to think that! :D

LavaLampBamboo:
I reckon that Secret Wars will essentially be a reset button for the Marvel Universe. In a similar way to the New 52, I think Marvel will essentially "destroy" the universe, then spend Secret Wars having them hash it out amongst themselves. At the end, the remaining heroes get "rebirthed" into a brand new universe, which is similar to the classic 616 universe, but with changes in history (probably because they want to bring in a bunch of characters from other universes, like Miles Morales). Then, once we hit Summer 2015, all these "old-but-new" limited series run, explaining HOW the history of Marvel has changed, and how these newly introduced characters will have affected events.

Essentially, these series are stories we have seen before, but, for want of a better word, rebooted. Makes it easier for new fans, possibly directed in by the success of the MCU, plus allows Marvel to consolidate their admittedly messy multiverse.

I'm liking this theory, if only because it makes all of these 'repeats' actually make sense. "We're making a new canon, now let's go back and show you the events that built it." It fits.

...it would also be a rather dramatic way to pull the plug on the big changes they just made with Cap/Thor/Iron Man, depending on their reception. How's the new Thor doing so far?

LavaLampBamboo:
They're also doing a Planet Hulk storyline again! And Years of Future Past! It's a classic Marvel reactivation!

Right, now I'm going deep into speculation territory here. I have no proof other than what has been announced, but this is my theory on what the House of Ideas is up to:

Currently, some of the Avengers comics have jumped forwards eight months, as part of the build up to Time Runs Out, which I believe is taking place next April/May. According to Marvel themselves, this Time Runs Out event will involve them doing "something they've never done before in their 75 year history". This is then going to be directly tied into the new Secret Wars event, which has that art where all the heroes from multiple universes and time periods are fighting.

Either that, or they really HAVE just run out of ideas.

(Mild Potential Spoilers Below, albeit most of the stuff mentioned is hardly brand new)

Well, I have a feeling they are angling to get into a "universe reboot" cycle where they can do it every few years like DC seems to in order to get sales with a new big event whenever it suits them. They mess around with classic characters, and then wait for people to demand the status quo return, then they do another shake up, and then mess things up with yet another shake up, etc... it's an old trick. Marvel has a big enough stable to potentially make it work.

I'd imagine they will want to do things like try to modify characters so they better represent their screen counterparts since that is the version of Marvel a lot of people know. Of course this will cause problems and ultimately irritate a lot of long term comics fans who will Jihad, which is ultimately more attention for them which is the point. The big question in something like this tends to come down to characters like say Nick Fury who people associate with Samuel L. Jackson now, all due to guys doing "The Ultimate Universe" making Nick Fury look like him as a joke, and then promising Sam the rights to a live action version if they ever tried again if he didn't sue (or so I've heard). They do this and they might as well cut Mr. Jackson's estate a portion of the profits from Marvel for life and give him an unprecedented amount of control in an offhanded way, aside from the whoile issue of pissing off "Howling Commandoes" fans (like my dad). Ditto for changing various comic characters to look more like the actors associated with them in the movies (which was fairly close to begin with). The movie versions also tend to be a lot cleaner as well which means that they miss a lot of depth, meaning that an Iron Man reboot for example could get around his very serious problem as an alcoholic. He gets sloshed once in the movies, but it's never been the kind of problem it has been for him in the comics. Likewise I'd imagine they would want to get Pepper and Tony together like in the movies, as opposed to having Pepper remain his "girl Friday" and romantically linked to Happy Hogan (who isn't used much in the movies), which of course also they will be playing down his lecherous antics that also acted as a foil for the character allowing groups like the Hellfire club to get their hooks into him in the past and so on.

As far as Milo Morales goes, I wouldn't put it past Marvel to keep him and Sam Alexander around just to spite people and generate rage for people to bring back the originals (Spider Man and Nova). Really, the funny thing about "Ultimate Spider Man" nowadays is that Milo has the best selling comic book that nobody actually reads, it keeps selling because so many collectors and speculators want the run because of how bold it was. There is a reason why the idea of a Milo Morales(Enhanced) costume is a recurring joke request in say Marvel Heroes: 2015 and why they wouldn't release Nova without having a Richard Rider enhanced costume ready pretty much from day #1. That said such an event would be a perfect opportunity to put bullets in the heads of both Sam and Milo, let the collectors finally relax and seal up their box for "maybe someday it will be worth something" and get back on track.

At any rate I could be wrong but I imagine for a while at least they will create a much shallower, less interesting, Marvel Universe. To use Iron Man as an example, one point about the character is that as "Invincible" as he is, he has crazy numbers of flaws. After saving the world following "Fear Itself" he fell back to drinking (the guy is a problem alcoholic) leading the the government coming after him (since he's public) to ground him/limit his use of the armor as a threat. A spat between Pepper and his head of security leads to footage of Pepper breaking up as "Rescue" being distributed which pretty much wrecks her as well. This kind of stuff just doesn't apply to the movie versions because you can't work in this kind of characterization in 2 hour films.

That and while dated Tony trying to counsel Ms. Marvel when she was becoming a problem drinker (for a lot of reasons, she was in her Warbird identity at the time I believe) given that he had been (successfully at the time) grappling with that problem was one of the more interesting character interplays I had seen.

The problem with continuity reboots is that they usually take a lot of good characterization with them, which is why I think Marvel has stayed away from them, unlike DC, which always struck me as being comparatively shallow and thus it could do this kind of thing more easily.

So their entire catalog is going to be Bendis reruns and 80's stories?

Is it just me or does Magneto totally have a boner in that image?

Vivi22:

Verlander:

Good god, please no. A universe reset is the absolute last thing they need. New 52 and it's complete botching of a great many characters single handedly drove me away from DC. For my money, there are better stories being told all over the Marvel line up these days. Ms. Marvel, Thor, Captain Marvel, and several others are stronger than anything I've seen from DC in a long time (that wasn't written by Grant Morrison anyway). Doing a universe reset does absolutely nothing but confuse long time fans and, in the case of DC, even the writers into not knowing what's canon anymore and making deciphering what the hell is going on damn near impossible. For some reason, DC had one successful reset (because the continuity prior to the was even more of a mess than it is now if you can believe that), and now they think they need to keep doing it every five years or so. It's unnecessary.

The majority of people I speak to seem to agree with you, but I'm the exact opposite... I lost my motivation with the Marvel Universe post-"Heroic Age", some of my favourite books took a drastic drop in quality (I'd been a Thunderbolts reader from the start, which is the only reason it took me so long to drop the title).

Meanwhile, New 52 helped me get back into DC. There are plenty of dud titles, and the lean towards Batman is preposterous, but it's got a lot of good going on if you're a selective reader

Every time there is some event that has time or reality getting messed up people talk about whether it will be Marvel's Crisis. It happened with House of M, Age of X, Heroes Reborn and even way back in Age of Apocalypse.

My money is on there being no reboot and instead this just being a meta event about events/time travel.

Are all these announced "repeat" events a result from one of the other events this year? And more than one event in a year, Marvel? Give it a rest, guys!
I'm afraid the House of Ideas is running out of ideas.

Yes, I know I'm not the first to say that, but the point still stands!

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.