Marvel May End the Ultimate Universe in 2015

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Marvel May End the Ultimate Universe in 2015

Ult

Marvel has announced Ultimate Universe: The End, a new event that will hit store shelves in summer 2015.

Marvel's Ultimate universe has never been quite the success the famous publisher hoped it would be. While it produced several series that would win fans over, many were left less than enthused by its interpretation of the company's classic characters and events. In turn, the years since its inception have played host to numerous story arcs, deaths and universe shake-ups aimed at revitalizing it and keeping audiences interested. Some of these worked better than others.

That being the case, a new teaser image released by Marvel may indicate that another event (as if there weren't enough that year already) is on the way for summer 2015 and, if its title is any indicator, this could be the last one. The image apparently comes from a new book entitled Ultimate Universe: The End. The cover itself doesn't reveal very much; containing little more than a group shot of the universe's current cast looking shock and scared at something we're assuming to be horrible.

We can, of course, only speculate as to what said horror might be, but the event's title would seem to indicate that it's something big and potentially world killing. Couple this with the fact that there are only a small handful (if you can even call it that) of Ultimate universe books still left running and there's a good case to be for this event being the straw that finally breaks the franchise's back.

Just speaking personally, if this winds up being the case I'll be more than a little sad. Despite the numerous ups and downs the Ultimate line has experience, it still served as an easy jumping off point for many readers (myself included) to get into comic books. For all its problems there are still a lot of characters I enjoy and will miss. Then again, if they can bring it to a decent, positive close, I could see myself being happy with that as well.

They should've named the end to this "Ultimately..." for obvious reasons.

Good! Every story worth a damn needs an ending. The worst part about comics is that they go on forever.

That said, if they wanted to dimension hop Miles Morales into the 616 continuity, I wouldn't be mad.

There have been "The End" books before. They've even done one "The End" miniseries for the entire Marvel Universe. That being said, maybe this one might be different. I wouldn't count on it, but this one has a higher chance than normal.

Red the top
White the botton
It is a Voltorb ready to explode isn't it?

Well with only 2 books still running in the ultimate universe and 1 of those ending next year anyway ending it all isn't that surprising.

Can I get my hopes up? Ultimate Marvel is long past its heyday having been reduced to a shell of its former self. I did say I way there at the start I'll go to the end, but I thought Cataclysm would do it and it kept going.

Just salvage a few popular ones (from the few still alive) and use that incursion story to vape the rest.

Mr. Omega:
There have been "The End" books before. They've even done one "The End" miniseries for the entire Marvel Universe. That being said, maybe this one might be different. I wouldn't count on it, but this one has a higher chance than normal.

The non-canon Thanos mini series "The End" was trippy as fuck, but actually kind of cool.

OP: I was never a big fan of the Ultimate U. It did some cool stuff here and there, but ultimately it just felt like it was trying waaaay to hard to be edgy/gritty. Anyone remember Ultimatum? That story was hilariously bad.

Fappy:

Mr. Omega:

The non-canon Thanos mini series "The End" was trippy as fuck, but actually kind of cool.

was that ever stated? I mean the universe essentially reset so it could have very well happened

P-89 Scorpion:
Well with only 2 books still running in the ultimate universe and 1 of those ending next year anyway ending it all isn't that surprising.

Actually there are 3 comics currently being make: Spider-Man, FF and All-New Ultimates.

OT: I'm skeptical about this being the end, and not just because this is coming from a company which had a comic called "Marvel: The End" was already an event over a decade ago. Sounds more like another publicity stunt in the same vein as Cataclysm then the closing chapter in the comic line.

Mcoffey:
Good! Every story worth a damn needs an ending. The worst part about comics is that they go on forever.

At least Ultimates doesn't have the problem of time being frozen on top of the story not ending. For better and worst time goes by, people age and develop (unless the writer forgets) and when a person dies it tends to stick.

Now if only they where better at handling the stories in general...

V4Viewtiful:

Fappy:

Mr. Omega:

was that ever stated? I mean the universe essentially reset so it could have very well happened

I think it was initially planned to be canon but they retconned it shortly after it happened. Not 100% sure of that, but I remember reading about it on CBR several years ago.

Not that it really matters anyway since I don't even think Thanos remembered what happened after the universe reset.

Zontar:

P-89 Scorpion:

Actually there are 3 comics currently being make: Spider-Man, FF and All-New Ultimates.

FF ended in August with issue 6.

P-89 Scorpion:

Zontar:

P-89 Scorpion:

FF ended in August with issue 6.

That's odd, I could have sworn it was still ongoing.

Live and learn I guess, haven't really been keeping up with this comic line lately.

I'm not sad. Miles is just a black peter . Wish they'd done a superior spiderman on it.
The FF is written horribly, with even Avengers movie quotes.
Lets hope end means end. Or perhaps I complete reboot. Every 10 years use Ultimate titles to give modern or new takes on established characters

I have trouble caring about this. The idea of the Ultimate universe was to have one without a backlog of continuity. Now it's nearly as messy as the mainstream continuity.

Paulhorne Schillings:

That would have been awesome.

Mcoffey:

That said, if they wanted to dimension hop Miles Morales into the 616 continuity, I wouldn't be mad.

The good news is, there's probably a Miles Morales in 616. I'd be surprised if they didn't already do some sort of continuity nod.

Zachary Amaranth:
I have trouble caring about this. The idea of the Ultimate universe was to have one without a backlog of continuity. Now it's nearly as messy as the mainstream continuity.

Paulhorne Schillings:

Mcoffey:

The good news is, there's probably a Miles Morales in 616. I'd be surprised if they didn't already do some sort of continuity nod.

I'd read the shit out of a Miles Morales book if it was as well written and, more importantly (to me, anyway), as self-contained as the new Ms. Marvel. I love that I can just read those books without feeling completely lost because I didn't read fucking X-Factor #24683 or something. The part where Wolverine showed up and had no powers threw me a little bit, but it was a small enough detail in the story I could roll with it.

I have very fond memories of the ultimate universe since I started reading comics with them and followed it religiously till they destroyed it with that abomination called ultimatum. Oh well, goodbye universe with consequences, character growth, permanent death and decisions that actually matter. It was a good ride but in the end they didn't knew what to do with you, rest in peace. We will have to conform ourselves with the Saturday morning cartoon silliness and world without any meaningful change of "regular" marvel.

Again?

Sorry but I wrote my personal eulogy for the Ultimates Universe back with Cataclysm. They should have ended it there instead of "Hey, we got all these readers from our announcement. Let's keep going."

Now, it's more a case of "Haven't they taken Old Yeller behind the barn yet?"

Anyone else remember Ultimatum? I thought that was supposed to be the end...

StewShearer:
The cover itself doesn't reveal very much; containing little more than a group shot of the universe's current cast looking shock and scared at something we're assuming to be horrible.

We can, of course, only speculate as to what said horror might be, but the event's title would seem to indicate that it's something big and potentially world killing.

Big and world killing you say...
Jeph Loeb?

Zachary Amaranth:

Paulhorne Schillings:

Mcoffey:

If 616 is the main marvel universe then yeah there is a Miles Morales there already. There was a crossover between him and the main marvel spiderman. Unfortunately Miles Morales in his universe turned out to be dead I think. It was at least implied at the end as far as I remember.

Halyah:
If 616 is the main marvel universe then yeah there is a Miles Morales there already. There was a crossover between him and the main marvel spiderman. Unfortunately Miles Morales in his universe turned out to be dead I think. It was at least implied at the end as far as I remember.

616 is indeed mainstream Marvel continuity.

I checked Wikipedia, and it says that there was no conclusive answer to Miles in the Spider-Men arc. I don't know if that's true, but even if he's dead, it's not unprecedented to have a dead person return. Hell, it used to be said that nobody stays dead in Marvel except Bucky, and even he came back.

Plus, they could always pull a retcon (comics loooove retcons) or simply indicate it was another Miles Morales. I found a bunch on Google.

Halyah:
Unfortunately Miles Morales in his universe turned out to be dead I think. It was at least implied at the end as far as I remember.

No, Morales is still alive and well.

StewShearer:
many were left less than enthused by its interpretation of the company's classic characters...

Did someone say "Ultimate Deadpool"?

Zachary Amaranth:

Halyah:

I checked Wikipedia, and it says that there was no conclusive answer to Miles in the Spider-Men arc. I don't know if that's true, but even if he's dead, it's not unprecedented to have a dead person return. Hell, it used to be said that nobody stays dead in Marvel except Bucky, and even he came back.

Plus, they could always pull a retcon (comics loooove retcons) or simply indicate it was another Miles Morales. I found a bunch on Google.

Yeah they'll probably retcon it if they think it'll sell. I just thought I'd mention it incase it might be of interest. I hear good things about him so I wouldn't mind seeing him show up elsewhere.

Queen Michael:

Halyah:
Unfortunately Miles Morales in his universe turned out to be dead I think. It was at least implied at the end as far as I remember.

Ultimate or 616 one?

Halyah:
Yeah they'll probably retcon it if they think it'll sell. I just thought I'd mention it incase it might be of interest. I hear good things about him so I wouldn't mind seeing him show up elsewhere.

I haven't really checked him out any. I haven't read a new comic book in ages, tending to buy only that which goes on sale. Wait, Batman Eternal #1 was free on Amazon, so I bought it there. And honestly, I hadn't heard much about Miles until recently except ERMAGERD BLACK SPIDER-MAN PANDERING SJW FEMINAZI SOMETHING SOMETHING FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!!!!

Though I've heard good things about him of late, and the trades aren't too expensive, so maybe I'll check them out now.

IT is kind of cool he gets a nod, whether he's a live or not.

Zachary Amaranth:

Halyah:

I haven't really checked him out any. I haven't read a new comic book in ages, tending to buy only that which goes on sale. Wait, Batman Eternal #1 was free on Amazon, so I bought it there. And honestly, I hadn't heard much about Miles until recently except ERMAGERD BLACK SPIDER-MAN PANDERING SJW FEMINAZI SOMETHING SOMETHING FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!!!!

Though I've heard good things about him of late, and the trades aren't too expensive, so maybe I'll check them out now.

IT is kind of cool he gets a nod, whether he's a live or not.

What little I've seen of him interacting with 616 Peter was definitely interesting and yeah I heard of him through similar reactions. A different person taking up the mantle is a nice idea if you ask me. Can keep the ideal around without dragging the character into the mud ala how most comicbook companies tend to do(Granted they still manage to do it anyway).

Halyah:
What little I've seen of him interacting with 616 Peter was definitely interesting and yeah I heard of him through similar reactions. A different person taking up the mantle is a nice idea if you ask me. Can keep the ideal around without dragging the character into the mud ala how most comicbook companies tend to do(Granted they still manage to do it anyway).

The weird thing is that they've had multiple people take up a lot of heroes for a long time, so I don't think that's so much the problem.

It can be interesting seeing a new character take on an established mantle. Of course, it can also wholly suck. Still, I've seen a (mostly) positive response to Miles, so I'm sort of hoping he sticks around in some format. And I'll probably check him out.

I'll really miss Ultimate Spiderman if it goes. Its the only thing thats been good in that line for a long time and Miles Morales is a great character. Sure there are similarities between him and Peter but come on some of that stuff is what it means to be Spider Man.

Zachary Amaranth:

Halyah:

The weird thing is that they've had multiple people take up a lot of heroes for a long time, so I don't think that's so much the problem.

It can be interesting seeing a new character take on an established mantle. Of course, it can also wholly suck. Still, I've seen a (mostly) positive response to Miles, so I'm sort of hoping he sticks around in some format. And I'll probably check him out.

Someone taking up the mantle is an idea I'm very used to since one of the big comic heroes over here in Norway is the Phantom. Any others has had the tendency to never last in the long run(I suppose the average norwegians tire of the usual comicbook crap too fast for them to maintain a viable market) outside of a specific chain of hobby stores. So I've always been a bit surprised it wasn't used more often and when it was... mixed results to put it mildly.

Halyah:
Someone taking up the mantle is an idea I'm very used to since one of the big comic heroes over here in Norway is the Phantom. Any others has had the tendency to never last in the long run(I suppose the average norwegians tire of the usual comicbook crap too fast for them to maintain a viable market) outside of a specific chain of hobby stores. So I've always been a bit surprised it wasn't used more often and when it was... mixed results to put it mildly.

As in THE Phantom? The Ghost who Walks, also known as The Guy Who Keeps Getting Shafted on TV and Film Deals?

I always thought the legacy thing was a really cool idea.

Zachary Amaranth:

Halyah:

As in THE Phantom? The Ghost who Walks, also known as The Guy Who Keeps Getting Shafted on TV and Film Deals?

I always thought the legacy thing was a really cool idea.

Yeah the one with his base in africa and who's had... one bad movie wasn't it? Reading about him and him going over his ancestors is always pretty fun given they got up to some really crazy shit many times. Always got the sense of the story evolving within those comics. In norwegian we call him Fantomet(the Phantom) and Ånder Som Går(Ghost Who Walks). So about the same nicknames and hero name. Fun stuff.

Halyah:
Yeah the one with his base in africa and who's had... one bad movie wasn't it? Reading about him and him going over his ancestors is always pretty fun given they got up to some really crazy shit many times. Always got the sense of the story evolving within those comics. In norwegian we call him Fantomet(the Phantom) and Ånder Som Går(Ghost Who Walks). So about the same nicknames and hero name. Fun stuff.

There were a couple of aborted movies and one that's been announced for several years now which I suspect will also be canned. Plus the miniseries, which was supposed to become a full series but was really horrible so I don't really mind.

I think I first heard about a new Phantom movie in 1998, which may or may not have been an intended sequel.

My dad had a collection of a bunch of old serials, and I think that's where I first heard of the Phantom. There was also a Filmation (?)cartoon popular when I was growing up. I only vaguely remember it was a mashup of a bunch of heroes and he had magic powers in the show, so...

I don't know that he was ever a comics sensation in the states, mind.

Halyah:

Zachary Amaranth:

Halyah:

Queen Michael:

Halyah:

Ultimate or 616 one?

THe Ultimate one is alive and well. As far as I can recall, we never got a definitive answer about whether there was a 616 Morales or not to begin with.

Zachary Amaranth:

Halyah:

There were a couple of aborted movies and one that's been announced for several years now which I suspect will also be canned. Plus the miniseries, which was supposed to become a full series but was really horrible so I don't really mind.

I think I first heard about a new Phantom movie in 1998, which may or may not have been an intended sequel.

My dad had a collection of a bunch of old serials, and I think that's where I first heard of the Phantom. There was also a Filmation (?)cartoon popular when I was growing up. I only vaguely remember it was a mashup of a bunch of heroes and he had magic powers in the show, so...

I don't know that he was ever a comics sensation in the states, mind.

Ah I had never heard of those, only the one movie with... Billy Zane I think his name was? I can remember his face, but no idea if I got the name right...

Can't really imagine the Phantom using magic powers given how low-magic his setting is. A lot of it is usually implied to be perfectly explainable things with a few things being blatant magic(the golem story springs to mind). Though I don't think he's ever been a sensation in the states, but he's big here. I wish I understood why this is the case as it'd be an interesting thing to know.

Potentially sad news for the fans who have hung in there. For my part, though, they've long since bumped off every character I gave half a damn about and the Ult. verse has become nearly as continuity ridden as the 616 with less to show for it in terms of quality. I consider it more a mercy kill.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here