GameStop will be Closed on Thanksgiving

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GameStop Expo 2014

All 6,000-plus locations will be closed on Turkey Day, open at midnight on Black Friday.

Thanksgiving is a time for family, football, and food comas. It's also a nice break from the work/office grind, as much of the United States has Turkey Day and the following Friday off, and might even call the preceding Wednesday a half-er.

Not everyone is so lucky -- there are plenty of jobs and establishments that need to be open on holidays -- but at least GameStop workers are now among the fortunate masses.

According to ThinkProgress, GameStop will keep all 6,600 of its locations closed on Thanksgiving -- Thursday, November 27th -- "out of respect for its store associates." The chain opens back up at midnight, in time for Black Friday (Nov. 28).

"We believe it's the right decision not only for our employees, but also for our customers," said GameStop in a statement to the press. "Enjoy this time with your loved ones and we'll see you on Black Friday."

The closure extends to all chains under GameStop's purview, including SimplyMac, Spring Mobile or Cricket Wireless U.S. (And I am sure the Game Informer team gets the day off, too.)

GameStop, certainly late to the party, is one of several major retail operations to finally let its staff enjoy the day at home. Costco and Nordstrom are pulling similar moves. Other chains, including Kohl's and Macy's, are opening later in the evening at 6pm.

I can't imagine many of us (*who live in the United States) actually do any video game shopping on Turkey Day. I can recall only one such trip in my own life, and it involved a walk down the street to my favorite local (non-chain) video game shop...which was selling Epic Mickey a week early, and for $55 instead of $60.

Source: ThinkProgress

Good. I hope more retailers start doing this soon. I don't say it often, but good on you, Gamestop.

OHMYGODWHATAREWEGONNADOWEREALLGONNADIE-

Huh? What? Steam will still be working? And I haven't bought something from Gamestop in years? That's right! Silly me.

Hope all those employees have a happy Thanksgiving with their families, or at the very least a fun day off. That is, before they're ripped to shreds on Black Friday. You could have a worse last meal than too much turkey.

Oh okay, so I won't be working that day. Good to know.

Deals are never really worth it anyways. Standing an hour or more in line to save thirty bucks is what most people end up doing on Thanksgiving Day sales.

Story:
Oh okay, so I won't be working that day. Good to know.

FOOD COMA FOR YOU, SIR/MA'AM!!!

-Devin Connors
Tech Editor, Turkey Enthusiast

Trishbot:
Good. I hope more retailers start doing this soon. I don't say it often, but good on you, Gamestop.

Likewise, glad to know they'll letting them have the day off to relax and be with family.

I never saw the point of fighting tooth and claw for so-so discounts on crap, even if it's stuff I want.

Back when I worked at Best Buy, I was very, VERY glad I hae a night shift that week, I pretty much had to clean all the mess, including the blood and guts (not really), think of it as a real life Viscera Cleanup Detail. At least we sneaked up to watch a couple of movies on those giant TVs and even had a mini tournament of Injustice: Gods Among Us ^.^

And Gamestop shows the ever rare shades of cool-guy.
I hope more retailers follow suit. Last year's weird trend of making people work on one of the USA's biggest holidays was bullshit.

Its about time, everybody knows that Thursday is about food gluttony, and Friday is about everything else gluttony. Three cheers for rabid consumerism! I truly hate this time of year.

So, was GameStop ever open on Thanksgiving? I know the trend of big retailers (Kmart, Target, Walmart, etc) staying on on Thanksgiving, but I don't remember anything about GameStop staying open.

Why would GameStop even need to be open? The point of the other retailers being open so early, as horrible as it is, is that with such big stores it takes a full crew to get it ready for the mob. Gamestop stores are tiny in comparison though, and shouldn't really require much additional setups.

In other words GameStop employees, you have 24 hours to pray, prepare yourself, and make funeral arrangements for the next day. Enjoy this last day with your family.

Meanwhile at Target, where I work, they had decided to open the store at eight p.m. on Thanksgiving day, even though up until last year the stores were always, always, always closed. I want to smack whoever came up with that idea.

Good call, GameStop. I think maybe you should go a bit further and not open until at least five a.m. the next day, but it is a step in the right direction.

They probably didn't have much of any business last year so they decided to close. If there was a chance to make profit, they'd be open.

Also, Walmart and many other retailers have been opening on Thanksgiving day for a couple of decades now. I don't understand why people are just now discovering this. Hell, movie theaters still open on both Thanksgiving and Christmas day, but no one ever seems to complain about that.

Devin Connors:

GameStop Expo 2014

but at least GameStop workers are now among the fortunate masses.

Disagree. Midnight they have to be at work which means they can forget about actually enjoying the holiday with the family, at least not in any way that prevents them from getting to work and being functional until X o'clock in the morning.

Personally, the rise of midnight openings is something that deeply disturbs me. It really fucks over people whose jobs are already pretty unrewarding by robbing them of real off time during a holiday everyone else gets to enjoy. I mean sure, it's cool they'll be able to sleep in on Thursday, but dang.

^Also, with the way that Gamestop staffs most of their stores, it means dividing up a 21 hour day between 3 or 4 people where at least 2 of them need to be their most of the time (With holiday help filling in the gaps). This means at least a ten hour day for the higher-ups and often a 12 hour day for the Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager.

Gamestop is always about trying to run their stores like a big department store with the staff of a mom & pop operation.

I read the title and thought a miracle happened, then I read "open at midnight on Black Friday." Pff. They figured out how to have good PR, while still pulling the Black Friday creep move. I'd be impressed if they waited until 5 in the morning.

I agree with Ross. I highly doubt anyone working at any of these stores, which are inching towards being open more and more on what used to be a national holiday, agreed at the interview that they don't mind working shifts like this. As an ex-theater employee, I volunteered to put up with working holidays, until the wee hours in the morning and (as a manager) going back to it within a few hours of maybe-sleep. It's hard to deal with that sleep deprivation along with obnoxious crowds and bosses pressuring them. It's even worse if they do it often enough that a person's sleep cycle is messed up. I still shift back into nocturnal mode without thought 3 years later, if my current job doesn't have anything going on.

I can also bet you, at many places forcing the Thanksgiving shift, there is the unwritten, unsaid rule that not volunteering means you should be the last in line for a raise and first for termination. They do not care that you have family visiting from 2,000 miles away and Grandma doesn't have much time left on this Earth. The executives just see Thursday as an untapped market that the competition has already started to open and filter down orders without empathy. If there are any rewards for being at work at that time, the only one that justifies it is that subliminal threat of being fired. Though, I'm sure the managers get bonuses for being there, mostly just watching the circus.

Edit: Sorry, double post. Thanks a lot captcha.

Uh, guys...this isn't news. Gamestop has been closing on Thanksgiving for a while now.

Source: I work there

RossaLincoln:

Devin Connors:

GameStop Expo 2014

but at least GameStop workers are now among the fortunate masses.

Disagree. Midnight they have to be at work which means they can forget about actually enjoying the holiday with the family, at least not in any way that prevents them from getting to work and being functional until X o'clock in the morning.

Personally, the rise of midnight openings is something that deeply disturbs me. It really fucks over people whose jobs are already pretty unrewarding by robbing them of real off time during a holiday everyone else gets to enjoy. I mean sure, it's cool they'll be able to sleep in on Thursday, but dang.

Thank you for saying this. The whole time I was reading through here I was like "does no one know how effed up it is to claim this is a good thing when all Gamestop is doing is screwing with it's employees' lives by forcing them to start work midnight that night?"

So midnight, they have to be there a bit early no doubt, which means either employees will need to try somehow to get sleep during Thanksgiving, or ignore sleep and stay up for 24+ hours (assuming no one works double shifts the next day) and then get to drive home from work at eight, noon, or later the next day with sleep deprivation.

My depth of hatred for employers that pull this shit is deep and comes from personal experience. It's taken me two decades to reach a point where I can insure that I am in a position of authority to insure that my place of business never does crap like this.

As someone who loves video games and Thanksgiving, but hates Christmas, it pleases me to see stores fighting Christmas' war on Thanksgiving.

As a guy who's worked retail (Toys R Us, thank goodness I have a sane job now), this is not even close to being as nice as they're making it sound. Sure, you get Thanksgiving day off, but instead of spending the evening bonding with family, you trundle off to bed at 2 PM, assuming you want a decent 8 hours of sleep and a shower before dealing with the Black Friday Hordes. That's even assuming you can fall asleep that early, as it's probably not your normal shift.

It's bullshit, always has been bullshit. The Escapist shouldn't be fooled by this transparent PR. Retail workers still get a big ol' shaft for the holidays, and most times don't even get increased pay for it.

Seriously, it's just crowd-pleasing to say "Hey! We're totally NOT gonna be open on Thanksgiving." People usually miss the "But seriously, the minute the clock strikes midnight, we're going to force our employees asses right to work." God forbid any of them have any family out of town. Sleep deprivation, as others have mentioned above, is still an issue, and SOME people do have sleeping disorders.

This whole 'open at midnight' bullshit needs to end. 6, hell, even 4 a.m. is reasonable. I wish I could say it's as simple as people needing to stop showing up at midnight to these things, but the retail stores that do this put out some pretty incredible door busters, which means they're also pushing the problem. Consumerism being what it is, and being the cynic that I am, sadly, there's no chance in hell people will stop coming to these midnight openings on Black Friday.

erm, this does not mean that the employees will have time off. merely a way for the store to have easy enviroment to stock up for black friday, for which they still need employees!

Its bullshit, just like its bullshit that i get christmas day off but then i gotta be at work the next day to start the fucking Sales. So no no real time off to enjoy the holidays with your loved ones at all just sounds good. And sure as fuck are ppl in gamestop on your turkey day getting shit ready for black friday.

martyrdrebel27:
Its about time, everybody knows that Thursday is about food gluttony, and Friday is about everything else gluttony. Three cheers for rabid consumerism! I truly hate this time of year.

I guess it's evil now to have an excuse to eat a great meal with your friends/family and have some great deals the next day. Americans, gross evil is thy name!

Arnoxthe1:

martyrdrebel27:

I guess it's evil now to have an excuse to eat a great meal with your friends/family and have some great deals the next day. Americans, gross evil is thy name!

no, the meal with family is okay, it's the context. It's a celebration of the lying to and destruction of an indigenous people, it's the lying to the American Youth today about the truth of Pilgrims and Native Americans, all celebrated with a massive over eating, followed by a shopping day that ALWAYS has violence associated with it, including deaths. If you really can't see the problem with these traditions, I almost feel sorry for you. Only almost because, as they say, ignorance is bliss.

martyrdrebel27:
no, the meal with family is okay, it's the context. It's a celebration of the lying to and destruction of an indigenous people, it's the lying to the American Youth today about the truth of Pilgrims and Native Americans, all celebrated with a massive over eating, followed by a shopping day that ALWAYS has violence associated with it, including deaths. If you really can't see the problem with these traditions, I almost feel sorry for you. Only almost because, as they say, ignorance is bliss.

Most reports of violence and death on Black Friday are grossly exaggerated by the press. They like to make it seem like everyone suddenly turns into a rabid dog on Black Friday because it sells. Furthermore, what you have a problem with for Thanksgiving is actually a problem with taught American history. And the truth is, who cares if some people overeat on Thanksgiving? I mean, really now.

Ultimately, you should just be happy for the excuse to have a good time and to get some great deals. That's all there is to it. Nothing to be upset about.

Arnoxthe1:

martyrdrebel27:

Most reports of violence and death on Black Friday are grossly exaggerated by the press. They like to make it seem like everyone suddenly turns into a rabid dog on Black Friday because it sells. Furthermore, what you have a problem with for Thanksgiving is actually a problem with taught American history. And the truth is, who cares if some people overeat on Thanksgiving? I mean, really now.

Ultimately, you should just be happy for the excuse to have a good time and to get some great deals. That's all there is to it. Nothing to be upset about.

http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/

there ya go. there's your exaggerated media bias. as well as listing, without sensationalism, a myriad of assaults, you'll notice the number at top. 790. that's 790 people dead, 790 mothers, fathers, brothers, killed at the altar of consumerism. maybe 790 people doesn't seem that high, but that's 790 people who didn't have to die. ugh, nevermind. if you don't see the obvious problems with these traditions, as well as the inherent problems with turning a blind eye to the truths i've stated, then an internet discussion certainly won't change your mind.

EDIT: wow, i feel stupid. i feel insanely stupid. i totally misread that website. but i won't change the stupidity because that would be disingenuous. for the record it's 7 deaths, 90 injuries... not nearly as bad as what i stated. wow. i'm gonna slink away, tail between my legs. oh no, i just go quoted. that's probably you calling me out on this now... dammit.

EDIT 2: upon further introspection, i think that maybe you're right about the sensationalism. if I was so quick to believe without question that 790 people had died, when in reality it was only 7, obviously they make it out to be a lot worse than it actually is. still, conciliatory remarks aside, any number of deaths is too many for a fake holiday built around consumerism.

EDIT 3: of those 7, three were killed in car accidents following black friday, which i don't 100% blame on the event itself. you win sir.

Turkey day was ages ago. Game Stop, you cray cray.

Y'know this might be obvious but as a retail worker who most certainly WON'T be getting thanksgiving OR black friday OR any holiday (ever) off... (12 years in the business... save me plz) I'll tell you this. Like 99.9.9.9.9.9.9.9% of the entire freaking world still

1) Shops on holidays
2) Shops on holidays last minute b/c they didn't have all year/month/week/the day before the holiday.... to prepare, they simply were too busy all 123518517851746 of those hours! of those days! waaaaay too busy. yup.
3) DOESN'T SEEM TO SHOP ONLINE... FOR ANYTHING. Seriously, when is internet shopping going to slow down retail traffic? Any day now would be great .... plz ..................................................................

*passes out from exhaustion working on fucking halloween*

good for them!

Good, I wish they weren't opening till 10 am on Black Friday.

As it should be. Everyone deserves to spend time with their family. Or at the very least have time to themselves before the hellfire that is Black Friday rains upon them.

#IsupportCyberMondays

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or