Apple CEO Tim Cook: I'm Proud to be Gay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Shamanic Rhythm:
Tim Cook has been rather heavily pressured by the more activist members of the gay community to use his position as Apple CEO as a public advocacy for gay rights. I've seen some rather dreadful articles that draw an entirely inappropriate link between the rates of suicide among gay teenagers and the fact that the Apple CEO wasn't public about being gay, so hopefully that will stop.

SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS SAVE THE DAY!

Now who should we target next to abuse for our progressive thinking!

Seriously thought, good for him. But the "proud to be gay" thing?

I get it if youre proud for comming out but as he said... it hasnt been a big deal at his company and was rather widely known before. Gods greatest gift? Thats... overdoing it a little bit.

I mean what would you think about a straight guy if he proudly proclaimed that his straightness is gods greatest gift to him? You would think rather unnice things about him i bet.

Oh well... apple is still a shady idea thieving company that uses slave labor to produce their products in china

And zero fucks were given that day

Good for him?

TrevHead:

Wow that's really bad, please say no one was buying that crap.

Have any links?

Here's one which slips in a reference to youth suicide. I thought there was one on the Guardian but I can't find it, it may have been taken down. Anyways, this one is an example:
http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/12724-rocco-pendola/211624-the-sexuality-of-apples-tim-cook-why-it-matters

And here are a couple that don't go that far, but nonetheless demand that Cook come out in the name of gay rights:
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11879141/2/where-is-apples-tim-cook-on-gay-rights.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/08/to-be-the-most-powerful-gay-man-in-tech-cook-needs-to-come-out/244083/

I get that most people in the escapist really don't care about sexuality and are being genuine when they simply shrug it off. But this news doesn't exist in a vacuum, and Tim Cook's coming out will raise a few eye brows and make a few people who otherwise never had homosexuality come across their mind give it an honest think. Simply saying "Who cares?" while possible throwing up a gif or some sort of anecdote doesn't add much to the discussion.

Personally I'm glad Tim has come out publicly, because I've been trying to find a way to come out to my own aunt/uncle for a long time and they are apple users themselves. This might serve as a way to break the ice, or to at least test the water on their opinion of gay people. And I'd like to think that whenever someone in the public eye comes out it's one of the few opportunities someone like me has to openly discuss the topic with people before putting themselves in the vulnerable position of actually stepping out of the closet.

cikame:
Do his co-workers tell him they are straight? Or is it something they just keep to themselves because it doesn't matter.

I don't think many straight folks see a point in blurting out their sexual orientation because heterosexuality is sort of default. It also doesn't buy the sort of attention coming out as gay does, especially when tons of corporations are shunning your new Apple Pay service.

So yeah, maybe there are numerous reasons Mr. Cook feels the need to inform us of what he does between the sheets.

So this is why Apple seems a tad obsessed with having diversity in their employee numbers. It all makes sense now.

RealRT:
I fail to comprehend how preferring dicks over chicks is a gift from God. And yeah, you are gay, good for you, so what?

So gay people still face a LOT of biased and hateful bullshit, that's what. Don't pretend you didn't know, there is no way you and everyone else saying "so what, doesn't matter" are so out of touch with reality. I get what you are doing, and in an ideal world I would totally be on board with that sentiment. Unfortunately this world is far from ideal, and there are a lot of terrifyingly ignorant and evil people out there.

Your gay. thats fine.
Your gay and famous. good on you, not afraid of public reaction.
Your gay and proud of it. thats the same as being proud of being straight - meaningless.
Your gay and you thank god for it. WTFBBQLMAO

Tim Cook claims to be christian. This means that his religion is directly incompatible with his sexual orientation, since bible is quite clear on what to do with homoxecuals.

Also its interesting to note the double standards of one man being praised for his belief while people who have opposite ones are considered deserved to loose their company. Should Anti-gay people organize a boycott to make him step down from CEO just like pro-gay people did for Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich?

Personally, i think neither should happen, and yet the second one already did.

Ukomba:

What about Brendan Eich at Fire Fox?

He lost his job for being straight? I don't remember that. That's horrible. Firefox should apologise for targeting his sexuality.

*Googles it*

Oh. Well, never mind then.

Strazdas:

Tim Cook claims to be christian. This means that his religion is directly incompatible with his sexual orientation, since bible is quite clear on what to do with homoxecuals.

If the Bible was clear, there wouldn't be thousands of different branches.

Should Anti-gay people organize a boycott to make him step down from CEO just like pro-gay people did for Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich?

Eich was protested for thanking God he was straight? Well, based on this new information that appeared nowhere during the whole controversy, it does seem like quite the double standard. I think we should demand Mozilla give him his job back.

Unless this is untrue and in no way an accurate parallel to a man who was a supporter of infringing upon the rights of others, rather than thanking a fictional character for his sexual orientation.

Strazdas:

Also its interesting to note the double standards of one man being praised for his belief while people who have opposite ones are considered deserved to loose their company. Should Anti-gay people organize a boycott to make him step down from CEO just like pro-gay people did for Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich?

Personally, i think neither should happen, and yet the second one already did.

Even i have to raise a finger here to point out your fallacy.

He is not against straight people, he doesnt want to tell anyone how to live their lives.

But if you are against gay people, you demand that they stop their sexuality because you find it icky.

The first one doesnt want to infringe on your private live, the second one does.

See the difference?

Slow news day. Cook don't mean to bring you down but it's a little too late. The gay pride float went buy ages ago. It's 2014 now and most people aren't bothered by orientation anymore. Especially those in the tech world.

NoX 9:

RealRT:
I fail to comprehend how preferring dicks over chicks is a gift from God. And yeah, you are gay, good for you, so what?

So gay people still face a LOT of biased and hateful bullshit, that's what. Don't pretend you didn't know, there is no way you and everyone else saying "so what, doesn't matter" are so out of touch with reality. I get what you are doing, and in an ideal world I would totally be on board with that sentiment. Unfortunately this world is far from ideal, and there are a lot of terrifyingly ignorant and evil people out there.

Well if we're going by that point, do you honestly believe that him saying that he's gay and that he considers it "his greatest gift from God" (over having more money in his pocket than most people will ever have) will in no way only make the situation worse with them? Also, as you see, a lot of people here think the same as I. He's gay. I don't care.

Proud? Greatest Gift? All seems a bit OTT.

I'm pretty happy to be hetrosexual because you know I'm programmed to be, he's pretty happy to be gay - for the same reason.

I'm not sure if either of these points are wildly relevant to either of our days.

RealRT:
Well if we're going by that point, do you honestly believe that him saying that he's gay and that he considers it "his greatest gift from God" (over having more money in his pocket than most people will ever have) will in no way only make the situation worse with them? Also, as you see, a lot of people here think the same as I. He's gay. I don't care.

I didn't adress the "God" part of your post at all, that wasn't a sentiment I had any problem with. I don't disagree with you at all, I think calling it a "gift from God" is very silly. I am not religious, and if there really is a god he/she is not a god I would want to follow. Far too evil for my taste...

I expect most people here will be more liberal and openminded towards gay people and other minorities than most. That does not mean the rest of the world is completely fine with it too, not at all. I have experienced enough of that personally, and so have many of my friends. This despite us living in Norway, which is a country that loves to portray and think of itself as an openminded and accepting society.

I agree that that he's a bit over the top with his anouncement though...

I love how a good slice of the comments are of the "Well who cares/How is this news?" variety, as if we live in some kind of magical place where homosexuality is accepted universally.

It's cool if you're tolerant, but that doesn't mean everyone is. This is still noteworthy.

Besides, if if you specifically aren't homophobic, you know who could be? Investors. And what better way to tell a homophobic investor that their money and bigotry isn't welcome at Apple than for it's CEO to publicly come out of the closet. It's not like Apple is going away any time soon, so this isn't going to hurt them.

Zachary Amaranth:

Ukomba:

What about Brendan Eich at Fire Fox?

He lost his job for being straight? I don't remember that. That's horrible. Firefox should apologise for targeting his sexuality.

*Googles it*

Oh. Well, never mind then.

He apparently supported traditional marriage as between men and women in an election. Apparently this warranted people demanding he lose his job and harassing him.

But he stepped down to stop the controversy, was not fired. This was extreme bigotry espoused against him (as strictly defined bigotry is intolerance of people of differing beliefs).

What I'm not sure is how that belongs in this thread? Was hoping Ukomba would clarify. A discussion on a CEO coming out is not a time to debate about every other possible issue that can be brought up in the slightest.

Oh... it just occurs to me while I'm typing this now that you think Ukomba presented that in response to me explaining that there was a time where homosexuals were condemned for coming out as though Brendan Eich was coming out as straight... Yeah... not even close to the same thing even if I disagree with the discrimination and intolerance Brendan faced.

Scrythe:

It's cool if you're tolerant, but that doesn't mean everyone is. This is still noteworthy.

As a result, it comes off as dickish.

I'm not even going to look at the comments right now, and just go ahead and say that I'm happy that he was able to talk about his sexuality with as much confidence as he did.

I know there are probably a lot of people that are saying "who cares" and that "not a fuck was given that day" but I still remember a time (seriously like 15 years ago) when it was a career killer to be gay. Whether in the entertainment industry, in the business industry, in the teaching industry, it didn't matter. Coming out and being proud of being who you were meant that you could possibly lose your job, your life savings, support from family and friends.

It's wonderful that this can be a non issue. I think that's... well fuck I think that just shows how far we've come. Yet, at the same time, I think that him being able to speak about it will give other people, people in say the middle of the US (for example) that are still unable to speak out (teen suicide rates for LGBT students are still stupidly high in a lot of middle states) someone to look to as a role model.

I'm not talking business practices, because I don't have to agree with him on those... but his voice can be heard and he can be someone positive in this world that shows that it's okay to be gay, that you can be successful and gay, that you aren't going to be shunned for being gay, and that life doesn't end just because of the sexuality you're born with.

So in many ways, sure it's a non issue now. But in some ways, to some people, this is going to be a huge thing to them, a way that they don't have to feel alone when they're being bullied or harassed because of who they are. And I think we can all empathise how that feels.

Zachary Amaranth:

Scrythe:

As a result, it comes off as dickish.

I'm not sure I'm following you, here. Please explain, specifically, what the "dickish" part is.

Am I being dickish? Tim Cook? The Escapist?

How can someone be proud of their sexual orientation if they're not prejudice against other sexual orientation?

To put things into perspective, imagine someone said "I'm proud to be straight", people would immediately think they're homophobic.

Furthermore, what's there to be proud of? So you like sticking your penis into assholes and in turn have dicks sticking into yours, and other people prefer pussies instead. so what?

I would understand if he was grateful that due to being gay gives him new perspectives on things but "proud"? And even then it doesn't make sense, he was always gay, viewing things "with queer eyes" was the only perspective he ever known so it can't really open him to anything new.

I failed to see the purpose of his public announcement of his sexuality.

arent we giving this too much screentime?

i mean its like saying "im proud to be straight" its normal

Shamanic Rhythm:
Tim Cook has been rather heavily pressured by the more activist members of the gay community to use his position as Apple CEO as a public advocacy for gay rights. I've seen some rather dreadful articles that draw an entirely inappropriate link between the rates of suicide among gay teenagers and the fact that the Apple CEO wasn't public about being gay, so hopefully that will stop.

jesus christ please tell me this is fake

if true this only proves extremist from ANY group arent good

Nothing special, time to move on. Not to mention that I find it silly to be proud about ones sexuality. That's just something that's "there" anyway and neither does one have meaningful influence on it nor worked to shape it.

omega 616:
I know I am an ass hole but I'm kind of taking issue with "...I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.".

Maybe he's like:
"Thank god I'm into dick. Vaginas scare me".

Shamanic Rhythm:

Sadly, the day "progressives" use bully tactics to get people to do what they want seems to be a long way away. He's out, now they'll just find a new target.

Wish these groups would allow acceptance to happen naturally rather than try and force it upon people and putting them on the defensive.

So is he going to announce that all Apple products will be 50% off to celebrate it :)

Seriously its yet another reminder how little progress humanity as a society has truly made since people still have to announce this things so publicly and explain themselves to the masses as if it is anyones business.

To you all who are hang-up on the "greatest gift from God" part. Let me give you a bit of perspective. I'm a Christian, I'm also bisexual, which I didn't realize until quite late in my life. Being Christian and non-heterosexual is sometimes very, very scary. You never know if someone will try to lash out at you. There will be bigots and ignorance. So telling yourself "This is how God created me" is a way of coping and accepting yourself. So it's not about being better then others, it's about feeling pride in accepting yourself and who you are.
If it was about something else than sexuality, like having really different foot sizes or being very tall or very short, it could simply mean "I've been given the opportunity to see things in a way that most people don't. This is the greatest gift I've received". So even when it is about sexuality, the bottom line could be the same.

Let people feel pride in being able to be themselves. Again, if it was about anything but sexuality we would not question ones feeling of pride. Our sexuality is quite a big part of our identity after all. It determines who you fall in love with and maybe who you will spend your life with. Isn't that a quite big thing?

I'm proud to be straight. Can I now get articles written about me?

Xan Krieger:
In related news Bill Gates is straight, Michael Sam is gay, and Kanye West is...what do you call a person that in love with themself?

Autosexual. I like it better than narcissist, because Kanye's life is too dope for that term.

I'm in the 'Huh, ok *goes back to playing video games*" camp on this one. I very much doubt Tim Cook has faced any discrimination in his time as Apple's big man, but sure dude. Gay it up.

I'm going to say something possibly inflammatory here, maybe not, I don't know, but I don't get "gay pride". I could try to explain why but I think Norm Macdonald does it better than I could here.

I'm not trying to ignore or belittle the decades of bigotry and torment that gays have suffered in the past, but I do find it somewhat weird to here people talk about homosexuality like it's a badge of honor, or in this case that it's "among the greatest gifts God has given me".

TessaraVejgan:
So is he going to announce that all Apple products will be 50% off to celebrate it :)

Seriously its yet another reminder how little progress humanity as a society has truly made since people still have to announce this things so publicly and explain themselves to the masses as if it is anyones business.

I don't think they "have" to though, and frankly I find it a little weird (maybe even egotistic?) the way some celebrities seem to formally announce their homosexuality to the world, as if this personal thing about them is important for us all to know. It made more sense back when coming out was so rare and controversial, but now it's starting to feel a bit mundane.

Olas:

TessaraVejgan:

I don't think they "have" to though, and frankly I find it a little weird (maybe even egotistic?) the way some celebrities seem to formally announce their homosexuality to the world, as if this personal thing about them is important for us all to know. It made more sense back when coming out was so rare and controversial, but now it's starting to feel a bit mundane.

So do you think celebrities coming out as gay (and proud) is meant to be for you? For me? For themselves? I'd imagine it, and every other pride-related event is meant to be for other gay people who, since we don't live in the perfect world some people in this thread think we live in, see their sexuality as something not to be proud of and not to even be apathetic about, but something that pretty much makes their life worse. People who feel ashamed and think they were born wrong might benefit from very visible and successful people saying that it's something to be proud of.

WeepingAngels:
I'm proud to be straight. Can I now get articles written about me?

That depends. Has being straight ever meant you were at risk of losing your job, being ostracized from family and friends, being attacked, or facing pretty much any negative consequences just for being a certain sexuality?

Also, are you the CEO of a massive tech company?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.