Watch The Jaw-Dropping Furious 7 Trailer Here

Watch The Jaw-Dropping Furious 7 Trailer Here

Holy Shift. The incredible official trailer for the 7th installment of the Fast and Furious series has dropped. Damn. Just. Damn.

This is how you build hype.

Seven movies in to the Fast and Furious series, you'd think the series would be getting very long in the tooth. Nope. And the proof is in the new, just-released trailer for Furious 7. What else can you say about seeing Dwayne Johnson break his own cast, or Paul Walker leaping into the back of a machine gun nest/tractor trailer to save a kidnapped girl before barely evading a trip into the bottom of a ravine. Or seeing Vin Diesel tell Kurt Russell "I don't have friends. I have family."? Other than than damn.

The cloud hanging over this movie is of course the tragic death of Paul Walker during production. A serious rewrite was required to find a way to ease his character out of the series without exploiting his death. If this trailer is any indication, mission accomplished. Brian O'Connor is front and center here, and I'm OK with it. I just wish it wasn't the last time.

Having been obsessed with these films from the beginning, it's been incredibly fun watching them go from easily-dismissed exploitation movies to the biggest non-superhero franchise in the world. Anyway, shut up, Ross, I hear you saying, so OK. let's just watch this thing again. Meanwhile, here's the official synopsis:

Continuing the global exploits in the unstoppable franchise built on speed, Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Dwayne Johnson lead the returning cast of Fast & Furious 7. James Wan directs this chapter of the hugely successful series that also welcomes back favorites Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Elsa Pataky and Lucas Black. They are joined by international action stars new to the franchise including Jason Statham, Djimon Hounsou, Tony Jaa, Ronda Rousey and Kurt Russell. Neal H. Moritz, Vin Diesel and Michael Fottrell return to produce the film written by Chris Morgan. www.thefastandthefurious.com

I've only ever watched one of these movies; the first one. Didn't hate it.

The Rock wielding a minigun...all other considerations are moot.

ron1n:
The Rock wielding a minigun...all other considerations are moot.

The rock: I THOUGHT I'D GET TO THIS IN DOOM AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

It looks like being yet another Fast and Furious film, so really it all hangs on how completely bonkers the stunts are, which I imagine they will be, very.

looks ok. i'm afraid my jaw did not drop, the headline is so misleading

I can't wait for this movie. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Fast and Furious series. They're very similar to the fantasies I used to make believe when I was playing with my Hot Wheels as a kid.

In the trailer I spotted Tony Jaa, Jason Statham, and Kurt Russell.

I'll probably go watch the movie just for them.

The very definition of stupid fun, I love it.

That stunt with Letty handbreak turning on the edge of the cliff so that Brian could grab the spoiler was amazing.

I just can not get into these movies. I loved the first one, but I check out five minutes into any of the sequels; I was checked out half way through this preview. I almost feel bad about it because they are silly and fun and I usually love silly, fun things.

BUT - this briefly brought me back in - did anyone else think that Kurt Russell sounded just like David Hayter as Solid Snake towards the end of the preview? If Konami wanted a big Hollywood name to voice Snake, why not him? It would be just too perfect in too many ways.

RIP Paul Walker

The trailer was freaking amazing not gonna lie.

Well, I'm sold. The Fast movies are just so fun and this one looks no different, plus Jason Statham is always a bonus.

Christ.....remember when these films were about street racing?

Ok, the Fast & Furious movies are silly, over-the-top, and unrealistic....and I love everything about them

Regardless if you think it's good or if you think it's bad, The F&F series have become something that you can't ignore.

I can't beleove I'm typing this about a Fast movie, but that looks awesome.

Can't wait.

You can tell this trailer is lying, because it implies the film will actually have street racing in it. (Yes I still haven't got over the 'oh look they're about to have a street race *cut to after the race is finished*' in 5)

Still pumped for the film though, that Walker jump gave me genuine vertigo chills

"Damn. Just. Damn."
That was my exact response too!
Can't wait to see this!!!

anthony87:

Yeah but the series kinda suffered for it. I mean Toyko Drift tried it but it didn't really work out all that well. I find that the series really hit its stride when it was allowed to just start doing crazy vehicle stunts. It really made for great blockbuster material. I mean sure the story was usually meh but if your watching F&F for story you are looking in the wrong place.

I really hope they make use of Tony Jaa and use his ability to the full - love to see him kicking Rocks ass. Lots of elbows to the skull. :-)

vagabondwillsmile:
BUT - this briefly brought me back in - did anyone else think that Kurt Russell sounded just like David Hayter as Solid Snake towards the end of the preview?

Kurt Russel was Snake Plissken in Escape From New York well before Metal Gear Solid was a thing; It's likely that Russel's performance inspired Hayter's in the first place.

This is how you build hype? More like this is how you milk the highly public death of an actor and combine it with jaw droppingly stupid action to pander to audiences that have proven time and time again they will happily shell out for any nonsense as long as doesn't require any kind of intelligent thought at all. Heck that this time Fast and Furious, or whatever they're calling it these days, just seems to be getting off to itself and whoever is cast in the movie. Oh man did you see that sweet stunt where the cars jumped out of a plane then parachuted onto the street? 12 year old me so would have loved that!

I spent most of the trailer wondering why on Earth if anyone had that kind of money they'd bother with driving around in the first place. Yea I've got these prisoners I want to keep out of the hands of a group of highly trained car... drivers... so I'mm gonna stick them on a bus with mounted mini guns, a ton of a security, and hope this plays out far better than it did in X-Men 3: Last Stand. At that point why not just put them on a plane or some place else where cars can't get to them thus completely rendering this crew useless? Oh right, because then you wouldn't get stupid action scenes that were clearly designed before any story was forced in which of course left no room for realism or even common sense.

I will never understand what anyone sees in this franchise.

Yup these movies jumped the shark around 4 films ago.

Than again you have The Transporter going up against the former Ricer crew so that could at least be interesting.

The most important news here is that they're continuing the tradition of every movie in this series changing the title in a different way. I originally saw this movie announced as "Fast & Furious 7", which just would've ruined everything. D:

Eh no. This is horrible.
I enjoyed The Fast and the Furious but it is the only decent film in this franchise.

Looks like the trailer spoils the first action sequence of the movie, step by step.

Keji Goto:
This is how you build hype? More like this is how you milk the highly public death of an actor and combine it with jaw droppingly stupid action to pander to audiences that have proven time and time again they will happily shell out for any nonsense as long as doesn't require any kind of intelligent thought at all. Heck that this time Fast and Furious, or whatever they're calling it these days, just seems to be getting off to itself and whoever is cast in the movie. Oh man did you see that sweet stunt where the cars jumped out of a plane then parachuted onto the street? 12 year old me so would have loved that!

I spent most of the trailer wondering why on Earth if anyone had that kind of money they'd bother with driving around in the first place. Yea I've got these prisoners I want to keep out of the hands of a group of highly trained car... drivers... so I'mm gonna stick them on a bus with mounted mini guns, a ton of a security, and hope this plays out far better than it did in X-Men 3: Last Stand. At that point why not just put them on a plane or some place else where cars can't get to them thus completely rendering this crew useless? Oh right, because then you wouldn't get stupid action scenes that were clearly designed before any story was forced in which of course left no room for realism or even common sense.

And no one will ever care

I kid, I kid, you're pretty much right.

"That's just stupid."

Said my dad.

In my voice. Through my mouth.

Oh crap.

Keji Goto:

Mmm, pretty sure you should stick to not watching action films. If "making sense" is a necessary category, well... The scenes were ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that's the whole point. Nitpicking and questioning the audience's intelligence? Yeah, 16-year-old me would love that, too. Sometimes there's entertainment that doesn't take much thinking to get through.

Like the majority of what this website covers. Y'know, games?

Aaaanyhow.

OT:
Yep, looks silly. Will probably see it, although probably not in in a theater (unless nothing else worthwhile is playing).

Keji Goto:

Woooowwww. Hater alert! Hater alert!

Amazing trailer nevertheless.

Haven't they said this is the "last ride" for like the last 3 movies now?

Anyway, doesn't matter, I enjoy the hell out of the Fast and Furious films. Shut off brain, enjoy ride, great way to kill 105 minutes.

BUUUUUUTTTTTTTT, very disappointed that Jason Statham is just Owen Shaw's brother! I thought he was going to be Frank Martin from the Transporter!

Keji Goto:

You never understand what anyone sees in this franchise and you probably never will, but I'm still curious about a person who hasn't yet explain his taste for movie genre overall. You already know the franchise and you saw the trailer, so an obvious explanation is already struck in the head on what kind of movies it represents to people. It doesn't need no question mark anymore. I don't like PewDiePie, and I don't like Transformers but I do like this franchise for some reason, that it's going to be a long pain the butt to explain why.

I don't know why somebody want to compare this movie to X-Men: The Last Stand, considering that the difference is huge. Sure it's consider the end of the 'trilogy' but that's about it. If you want "realism" go find a dozen other movies that offers that. I don't give a care about realism and betting that majority of people don't care about it either. The trailer that show the action and the positive reaction is dang obvious, duh. That's all there is to it.

I never like this phrase but I will be the one to use it, "This Is 2014". You don't have to dig deeper more than you need it to be and it's also not the worst thing in the world either. It's just a fun (stupid, if you want to think it) action movie and it can be shown as a tribute to Paul Walker, so pay some respect if you haven't yet.

You know, it took me a while to warm up to this franchise... but now I am on board. It was fun and earnest in a way many movies (even those in the genre of dumb action movies) are not.

Mr.Tea:

vagabondwillsmile:
BUT - this briefly brought me back in - did anyone else think that Kurt Russell sounded just like David Hayter as Solid Snake towards the end of the preview?

Kurt Russel was Snake Plissken in Escape From New York well before Metal Gear Solid was a thing; It's likely that Russel's performance inspired Hayter's in the first place.

Yah, that's I mean. That's why it would be perfect. :P MGS wore its inspiration from Escape from New York on its sleeve and touted it proudly. It was just surprisin in the preview that Russell sounded more like the MGScharacter he inspired than he did playing the role of Pliskin.

OT: One thing that really bothers me about these movies and movies like them, is star power. At the time the first film released only Vin Diesel was at the level of instantly recognizable super star. Later though, the stars just got in their own way. It happens in every movie Tom Cruise is in. He's not an amazing actor - he is an amazing performer. There's a difference. Daniel Day Lewis is an example of an amazing actor. It doesn't matter who he actually is, every second he's on screen, he is the character. The Rock can't escape being the The Rock. He's there so the audience can gush over The Rock doing a thing. Nothing against him, but his character is always him just being called another name.

I know it's subjective and the notion may even seem to be at odds with my desire for Russell the play Snake in the MGS series; in movies this is often a problem for me.

And where the first movie was relatively grounded with a fantastic-but-plausible story, relatable characters, and understandable motivations, with cool cars and real drivers doing cool practical things, the later films are mess. Physics means nothing. Less real stunts, less practical effects, more ridiculousness. It's bigger, flashier mess with less to care about than ever before.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here