Atari Documentary Makes Xbox Live Debut November 20

Atari Documentary Makes Xbox Live Debut November 20

The legendary Atari dig that unearthed copies of decades-old games from a landfill was recorded for a documentary premiering later this month.

What do you do if you make a video game so bad it causes the entire industry to crash? If you're Atari, the answer is "bury it all in a New Mexico landfill," naturally. After decades of this persistent gaming industry urban legend, an Xbox-sponsored dig uncovered the old copies of E.T., Centipede, and other Atari classics earlier this year. If you didn't get a chance to fly to New Mexico in April, you'll get another chance to experience the unearthing of the games that almost broke the industry. Atari: Game Over, a documentary about the dig, is premiering on November 20.

The news comes from writer/director Zack Penn, who posted the announcement on Twitter. Atari: Game Over, a production of the now-defunct Xbox Entertainment Studios, will make its debut on Xbox Live; no further release plans have been announced.

E.T. the Extra Terrestrial launched for the Atari 2600 in 1982 after less than six weeks of development time; the poor quality of this and several other titles, along with overproduction, are generally believed to have led to the 1983 video game crash. Thankfully, gaming recovered and the industry moved on, though Atari hasn't been a dominant force in decades. There's some irony in watching Atari: Game Over on the system of a manufacturer that wasn't even in the Console Wars in the 1980s. And if just watching the Atari dig isn't enough, you could always try to get your hands on some of the old games as well.

Source: Polygon

I find it funny they are making a documentary about greedy opportunistic companies flooding the market with overpriced shitty games that tended to be reskins of the last game and shitty business practices meant to steal more money from you in this day and age. On Xbox no less.

Its the pot calling the kettle black. Also a repeat of history.

Atari 2: electric boogaloo might be up our alley.

At this point, gaming has become an industry where you beat the customer down into accepting your rushed reskinned crap then insulting them for buying it. So at least they added sprinkles onto the pile of diarrhea and piss. They're free styling now.

But ill be here with my popcorn when it does pop off again. It'd be like World War III on pay TV.

Ultratwinkie:
I find it funny they are making a documentary about greedy opportunistic companies flooding the market with overpriced shitty games that tended to be reskins of the last game and shitty business practices meant to steal more money from you in this day and age. On Xbox no less.

At this point, gaming has become an industry where you beat the customer down into accepting your rushed reskinned crap then insulting them for buying it. So at least they added sprinkles onto the pile of diarrhea and piss. They're free styling now.

But ill be here with my popcorn when it does pop off again. It'd be like World War III on pay TV.

I have never seen more cynicism in a single comment over a documentary.Congrats!

TippiestRook:

Ultratwinkie:

I have never seen more cynicism in a single comment over a documentary.Congrats!

It's Twink, anything remotely console related and you bet he'd be there to rain down on any parade they'd have, any news relating to good or bad things happening, he'll be there.

Ultratwinkie:

What are you on about? This is a documentary done by Xbox because Microsoft wanted to create original TV content for their platform, and with this being one of those old gaming events that people are interested in it made sense clearly to do it...there is no coded message.

Oh and no another version of that era isn't going to be upon us don't be silly. I find it most odd that your statements usually consist of "in the future there will be no consoles", and here you're saying the equivalent of "in the future there will be far more consoles".

??? To the rest, that is no way to get through life mang.

Shadow-Phoenix:

It's Twink, anything remotely console related and you bet he'd be there to rain down on any parade they'd have, any news relating to good or bad things happening, he'll be there.

Well its one of those single platform things, afflicts some people in really bad ways.

Rozalia1:

Ultratwinkie:

What are you on about? This is a documentary done by Xbox because Microsoft wanted to create original TV content for their platform, and with this being one of those old gaming events that people are interested in it made sense clearly to do it...there is no coded message.

Oh and no another version of that era isn't going to be upon us don't be silly. I find it most odd that your statements usually consist of "in the future there will be no consoles", and here you're saying the equivalent of "in the future there will be far more consoles".

??? To the rest, that is no way to get through life mang.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Well its one of those single platform things, afflicts some people in really bad ways.

I never said anything about a coded message. I said it was funny because Microsoft is covering bad business practices from an industry big dog that led to crapping up the industry it was in because of how much power they had, but did nothing for quality control and used it to try to screw over customers. Covering a time where indies were shitting up gaming with overpriced scams, the big dogs were starting to push out rushed and crappy games to meet deadlines, and reviews were unreliable at best.

Sound familiar? Thats why I thought it was so funny, it all lined up perfectly.

Its not just gaming either. It extends to all Microsoft's projects, especially their windows store. That's why its so funny. There are so many parallels Microsoft is pretty much pointing out not only its own flaws but the industry learning nothing.

Its like madoff covering the great depression and saying the investors involved were bad people. It is hilarious if its coming from microsoft. Especially at this time right now, exclusively on a machine consumers hated for being anti consumer and over priced.

It wasn't ET who destroyed the games' industry. It was the attitude and executive stupidity that borne ET that destroyed the industry.

BTW a deluge of horrible games helped a lot. And isn't that what we also have these days?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.