Grumpy Cat's Christmas Movie Has a Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Grumpy Cat's Christmas Movie Has a Trailer

"All pets are off!" in first trailer for internet meme turned Lifetime movie

Pop-culture collectively-groaned when it was announced that internet meme-fixture "Grumpy Cat" would be getting her own movie, but seemingly switched to "wait and see" mode when comedian Aubrey Plaza was chosen to voice the character. Now, in the film's debut trailer, both fans and detractors can get their first look at the results.

Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever (which will debut on Lifetime on November 29th) casts Grumpy as the resident of a mall pet shop with a pessimistic outlook on life after being constantly passed-over by customers in favor of cuter animals. Things change for Grumpy when she meets Chrystal, a happy-go-lucky 12 year-old girl who is somehow able to hear her and understand her thoughts. Together, they team up to rescue an expensive, exotic dog (whom Grumpy otherwise despises) from a pair of kidnappers on Christmas Eve.

Grumpy Cat (whose real name is Tardar Sauce and whose unique expression is the result of feline dwarfism) has been an "internet sensation" since a photo of the cat was posted to Reddit in 2012 and became a favorite of meme-makers. Since that time, the popularity of said memes has spun-off a merchandising empire of shirts, books, toys and more.

Source: Lifetime

well that was... something, something is the only way to explain what i feel right now

Looks like absolute shit and Aubrey Plaza is obviously just collecting a pay check.

Worst movie ever?
I'm gonna say worst movie ever.

momijirabbit:
Worst movie ever?

Why I have the feeling that's what they were going for? I can just see the conversation

Someone who saw the movie: THAT WAS SHIT! I HAVE WASTED X HOURS OF MY LIFE

Grumpy cat: GOOD!

Hmm. This movie feels like it's trying to be funny in an ironic way, and Grumpy's voice being so apathetic kind of works in that sense. I can see a lot of people hating on it because of the reason it was created, but I think it could be funny. Not "laugh out loud" funny, but at least chuckleworthy.

Ekit:
Looks like absolute shit and Aubrey Plaza is obviously just collecting a pay check.

I saw her on the Daily Show and she had as much emotion as Kristin Stewart. As for the rest of the movie, I'm glad it was made and I look forward to watching it.

I'm still amazed this isn't a joke. I keep waiting for the big gotcha announcement pulling the rug out from under our hypothetical expectations and it's been five months.

The trailer was amazing. The movie will suck. But the trailer is amazing.

momijirabbit:
Worst movie ever?

I don't know, it's up against some very tough competition. Ever seen a little gem called The Room? How about Birdemic?

I think people need to drastically lower their expectations...after all, as Ms. Plaza so eloquently put it: "Oh wait, it's a Lifetime movie." To expect it to be anything but pure and undiluted shit would be absurd.

You know, if Grumpy Cat is this next generation's Ernest P. Worrell, I'd be okay with that. Grumpy Cat goes to camp, saves Christmas, Grumpy Cat scared stupid, Grumpy Cat goes to the beach, Grumpy Cat doesn't go the beach, etc...
It could work.

The plot description sounds like absolute tripe.
I wonder what sort of mentally dysfunctional, unoriginal, inspirationally drained half-wit wrote that....

Nooo... I don't wanna... why did I chuckle at the witch bit?...

Random Argument Man:

momijirabbit:
Worst movie ever?

Why I have the feeling that's what they were going for? I can just see the conversation

Someone who saw the movie: THAT WAS SHIT! I HAVE WASTED X HOURS OF MY LIFE

Grumpy cat: GOOD!

To borrow a line from Grunkle Stan: "Well that put me a minute closer to death."

OT: I kinda wish that happens at the end, someone creaming that it was horrible and they wasted a few hours of their life on it and Grumpy cat yelling at them for watching.

Ugh, the voice really doesn't work for me, though up until now I always thought of Grumpy Cat as being male so the gender switch is jarring. I imagined it being gruffer and less sarcastic American girl >.>

JoJo:
Ugh, the voice really doesn't work for me, though up until now I always thought of Grumpy Cat as being male so the gender switch is jarring. I imagined it being gruffer and less sarcastic American girl >.>

I always thought that Grumpy Cat would be voiced by Nick Offerman. It would probably sound like a disappointed Garfield or just a cat version of Ron Swanson.

Also..."Sarcastic american girl" is pretty much Audrey Plaza's breadwinner to be honest.

Looks mildly amusing - though I doubt it'll appear over here in europe any time soon. This smells of made-for-TV

Phew, just when I thought there wouldn't be a "celebrity animal movie featuring a likeable comedy actor literally phoning in a performance for the cheque" released this year that would be worse than Pudsey the Dog...

I mean, c'mon guys, you couldn't even afford to CGI in some f--king lip sync on the cat?

Because sometimes god has a hangover and things happen

Well, I laughed and now I hate myself for it.

Well it's exactly what anyone would expect a Christmas special to be like.

The cat's popularity is on the downward slope.

In words of Sir Patrick Stewart

"No matter how big a splash you make in this world, whether you're a Corey Feldman, Frankie Muniz, Justin Bieber or a talking Teddy Bear, eventually nobody gives a shit."

bdcjacko:

Really? For me the trailer had a feel of a non-sarcastic version of South Park´s Rob Schneider move trailers.

You gotta be shitting me. How the fuck did this get turned into a movie?

We have no one to blame but ourselves

*waits for replies stating things along the lines of "I never thought this shit was funny" as if they legitimately believe I think EVERY SINGLE PERSON knows or cared about this meme or that I'm actually blaming anyone at all.*

Guys, just remember. This is a LIFETIME movie. Turn all your expectations down.

This is what happens when the internet leaks into the real world. I hope you're happy, Reddit!

Oh gods. I....I. Oh gods. Only two good things will come of this. One: The Rifftrax guys will still have a job. Two: This film will serve as a warning to future generations.

Does no one high up know this is a bad idea? Remember "shit my dad says" and how bad that was on TV?

Chessrook44:
Guys, just remember. This is a LIFETIME movie. Turn all your expectations down.

Somehow, they'll shove in a way to blame all the movie's problems on the evil men.

I now want to cleanse my palate with Sharknado... the second one.

coolbond:
well that was... something, something is the only way to explain what i feel right now

It was definitely a thing that happened, that's for sure.

bdcjacko:

I'm not sure it was amazing, but it does get points for "cat with paintball machine gun."

momijirabbit:
Worst movie ever?

I don't know. "Cat with paintball machine gun" trumps anything Battleship offered.

I still expect it to suck, but at least it has "cat with paintball machine gun."

JoJo:

Personally, I always pictured Grumpy Cat as Daria Morgendorffer. Not the actress, but actually Daria.

WTF was that? had a ruff smile on but thats about it. sure will pass on that one. i think im better off watching interstellar. even when its not a xmas movie or for xmas.

Zachary Amaranth:

JoJo:

Personally, I always pictured Grumpy Cat as Daria Morgendorffer. Not the actress, but actually Daria.

Well, the spoof Daria life action trailer had Aubrey Plaza as the grown up Daria, and people loved that.

(I've heard that grumpy cats general real live demeanor is much nicer and sweeter than her expression suggests)

That... sucked.

Usually a trailer can at least make the movie seem good, even though my cynicism reminds me it won't be. Kind of like how microwave food looks nice on the package even though you know it won't look like that once you open the box.

But this didn't even seem like it was trying to be good. The jokes were too corny even for my taste, and that's saying something. And her voice sounded wrong -- I imagined her sounding like Foamy the Squirrel.

Dear diary, tonight i stared into the abyss.

It stared back. I have seen hell.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or