China has a New Drone-Melting Laser Defense System

China has a New Drone-Melting Laser Defense System

Quadcopter Drone UAV 310x

Starting small, China's new system has a 1.2-mile range, can hit targets traveing at speeds of up to 100 mph.

Drone hobbyists, beware! China is coming for your precious quadcopters.

The Chinese military has a new laser-based drone defense system in place, which it will use to "[ensure] security during major events in urban areas." Where's the talk about melting Predator drones flying miles above the Earth? Well, China isn't quite there just yet.

Instead, the new defense system is small-scale, focusing on keeping low-flying drones out of restricted areas, maintaining clear skies during public events, and combating the (apparent) issue of "unlicensed mapping activities."

The range of the laser battery is 1.2 miles, it can be operated within roughly 1,600 feet of the base installation, and the system can target drones traveling up to 100 miles per hour. This means your precious Parrot AR Drone is in peril, while the Predators and RQ-170 Sentinels flying at 30,000-50,000 feet are safe and sound.

The new system, which can be mounted to a vehicle, or installed at a permanent installation, has taken down 30 small drones with a 100 percent success rate.

While China focuses on the overly ambitious drone hobbyist, Lockheed Martin is happy with its business jet-turned-face melting laser plane. Of course the China Academy of Engineering Physics, one of the bodies behind the new system, is working on larger-scale systems as well.

Source: The Guardian

Wait, shouldn't laser cannon with radius of 1.2miles, have vertical reach of 1.2miles as well?
Or physics don't work that way?

blackrave:
Wait, shouldn't laser cannon with radius of 1.2miles, have vertical reach of 1.2miles as well?

Possibly the machine has a range of 1.2 miles, in that that's how far it can fly, and range of the laser is separate.

thaluikhain:

blackrave:

Possibly the machine has a range of 1.2 miles, in that that's how far it can fly, and range of the laser is separate.

Um, maybe I missed something (after reading it for second time), but I think the whole system is currently land based not something flying
I don't question the ability to mount it on helicopters/planes/blimps/antigrav AA platforms, but article said nothing about it.

blackrave:

thaluikhain:

blackrave:

Um, maybe I missed something (after reading it for second time), but I think the whole system is currently land based not something flying
I don't question the ability to mount it on helicopters/planes/blimps/antigrav AA platforms, but article said nothing about it.

Whoops, seems I misread "drone defense system" there.

Goofed on the source material a bit, so I made some clarifying edits.

-Devin Connors

Devin Connors:
Goofed on the source material a bit, so I made some clarifying edits.

-Devin Connors

Oh, now it makes sense. thanks.

China, why so shy? I don't trust it. -.-

Svarr:
China, why so shy? I don't trust it. -.-

Joke or not, I'm sure we already have or are working on something similar on our own. No nation wants foreign drones buzzing around.

That being said, 1.2 mile radius? That's nothing. You basically have to know where the drone already is before taking this device to it. I guess this would work well to form a perimeter for bases and important areas but this would be a significant undertaking for the perimeter of a city or something. What's more is like the article said, a lot of other drones would be just fine and those are the drones you really want to care about.

I think it's finally time, the future is now, TIME TO CHROME PLATE EVERYTHING. :D

Hey Devin. Devin, hey. Hey Devin. Devin.

What does

Devin Connors:

traveing

mean?

Lightknight:
That being said, 1.2 mile radius? That's nothing. You basically have to know where the drone already is before taking this device to it. I guess this would work well to form a perimeter for bases and important areas but this would be a significant undertaking for the perimeter of a city or something. What's more is like the article said, a lot of other drones would be just fine and those are the drones you really want to care about.

My guess is that it's targetted at low-flying drones over specific buildings/areas/etc So you make a perimeter around your base, over party HQ, over a prison, etc.

jabrwock:

Lightknight:

My guess is that it's targetted at low-flying drones over specific buildings/areas/etc So you make a perimeter around your base, over party HQ, over a prison, etc.

Sure, but how quickly does it take it down? A drone flying 100 miles per hour? Wouldn't already have accomplished it's goal seeing as even if it was flying directly at it (the longest radius of approach), you'd be talking less than a second before it's directly overhead.

What is the goal besides just destroying them? Is it just to thwart amateurs?

Lightknight:
[quote="jabrwock" post="7.864361.21576960"]Sure, but how quickly does it take it down? A drone flying 100 miles per hour? Wouldn't already have accomplished it's goal seeing as even if it was flying directly at it (the longest radius of approach), you'd be talking less than a second before it's directly overhead.

The goal seems to be eliminating surveillance or propaganda drones over public events. Don't want worldwide news networks getting embarrassing footage of heavy-handed "riot" suppression methods.

blackrave:

Your physics is right about lasers, except that changes in atmospheric pressure can distort the beams. No laser is perfect, and even NASA's lasers used to judge the distance to the moon are literally 6 miles across when they reach their target.

It is important to note this though, here is a photo of Shanghai on an average July day. For perspective, I am on the 11th storey:

Even with the most powerful mobile lasers, you are not getting a range of 1.2 miles any time the smog is this bad, which is nearly all the time. BTW, when I took this it was still 92 degrees out. . . how is that even possible?

Supposedly for defense against small drones, the real purpose of this project is simply to defend China's national pride and signal to foreign governments and news organizations that they are proceeding with their process of militarization. Also, they wish to quietly send a message to anyone wishing to cover protests like those in Hong Kong a message that their coverage will not be tolerated on the mainland.

Ryan Hughes:

blackrave:

Your physics is right about lasers, except that changes in atmospheric pressure can distort the beams. No laser is perfect, and even NASA's lasers used to judge the distance to the moon are literally 6 miles across when they reach their target.

It is important to note this though, here is a photo of Shanghai on an average July day. For perspective, I am on the 11th storey:

Even with the most powerful mobile lasers, you are not getting a range of 1.2 miles any time the smog is this bad, which is nearly all the time. BTW, when I took this it was still 92 degrees out. . . how is that even possible?

Supposedly for defense against small drones, the real purpose of this project is simply to defend China's national pride and signal to foreign governments and news organizations that they are proceeding with their process of militarization. Also, they wish to quietly send a message to anyone wishing to cover protests like those in Hong Kong a message that their coverage will not be tolerated on the mainland.

Thanks for the insight.

Germany did something very similar in 2013
http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/07/german-military-laser-destroys-targets-over-1km-away/

Key highlights

First, the system sliced through a 15mm- (~0.6 inches) thick steel girder from a kilometer away. Then, from a distance of two kilometers, it shot down a handful of drones as they nose-dived toward the surface at 50 meters per second. The laser's radar, a widely used system called Skyguard, was capable of tracking the drones through their descent up to three kilometers away.

For its finale, the laser's ability to track a very small ballistic target was demonstrated. It honed in on and destroyed a steel ball 82mm in diameter traveling at 50 meters per second.

Lightknight:

Sure, but how quickly does it take it down? A drone flying 100 miles per hour? Wouldn't already have accomplished it's goal seeing as even if it was flying directly at it (the longest radius of approach), you'd be talking less than a second before it's directly overhead.

What is the goal besides just destroying them? Is it just to thwart amateurs?[/quote]
range is 1.2 miles.
lets assume drone flies at 100MPH (most likely less).
so it takes 1 houe to get 100 miles, therefore it would take 0,012 hours to reach overhead, whtich is 43,2 seconds. so no, not less than a second, less than a minute is what you meant probably.

Ryan Hughes:

while i dont doubt there is a lot of smog in Shanghai, the window is clearly very dirty (probably from the same smog) in your picture and is unfair representation.

Weaver:
Germany did something very similar in 2013
http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/07/german-military-laser-destroys-targets-over-1km-away/

Key highlights

First, the system sliced through a 15mm- (~0.6 inches) thick steel girder from a kilometer away. Then, from a distance of two kilometers, it shot down a handful of drones as they nose-dived toward the surface at 50 meters per second. The laser's radar, a widely used system called Skyguard, was capable of tracking the drones through their descent up to three kilometers away.

For its finale, the laser's ability to track a very small ballistic target was demonstrated. It honed in on and destroyed a steel ball 82mm in diameter traveling at 50 meters per second.

Germany, I believe. China? Hah. They can't even SEE that far, in most cases. Plus, I think we know the quality of this defense system can't be very high, unless of course they outsourced it to somewhere other than themselves. With no offense to ANYONE living in China right now, you should really clean up a bit.

Is it mounted on their weather-control satellite?

as soon as i saw 100% success rate i instantly thought bull shit nothing has that good a success rate and besides china's fundamental tech base is just too low for me to believe this a European power i would just about believe but last time i looked china is still stealing the tech out of industrial facilities in the west

To troll the defensive system, hobbyist mouth mirrors on their drone, laser reflected back to the ground cause havoc to civilians down below.

Sidmen:

Lightknight:
[quote="jabrwock" post="7.864361.21576960"]Sure, but how quickly does it take it down? A drone flying 100 miles per hour? Wouldn't already have accomplished it's goal seeing as even if it was flying directly at it (the longest radius of approach), you'd be talking less than a second before it's directly overhead.

The goal seems to be eliminating surveillance or propaganda drones over public events. Don't want worldwide news networks getting embarrassing footage of heavy-handed "riot" suppression methods.

That was my immediate thought upon reading the title. They would just love to have a battery of them watching over Hong Kong's business district.

Strazdas:

while i dont doubt there is a lot of smog in Shanghai, the window is clearly very dirty (probably from the same smog) in your picture and is unfair representation.

I am sure you've heard outrageous stories about how much pollution there is in China. I can tell you that it is actually far worse than the stories you have heard. The window is a bit dirty, but I took this picture. I know beyond any doubt that it is an accurate representation. This was taken from the window at a five-star hotel in Shanghai, and actually represents a decent day in the summer. The pollution is so bad that they cannot keep windows clean, even on their five-star hotels, even when the IAACA was there for a huge convention, and they had to roll out heavy security and metal detectors for the lobby.

Beijing is worse, except when the lightning storms there in the summer remove the static charge of the lead and heavy metal particles in the air and it all drops to the ground overnight. Many of us in Beijing began developing sores on our skin soon after arriving. Parts of the skin exposed to open air became effected, while covered areas were nearly untouched. Oddly, among the Americans there, people from Oregon, Utah, Colorado and the like were most effected, whole people from NY, LA, and Dallas were able to adjust more quickly.

Devin Connors:
Where's the talk about melting Predator drones flying miles above the Earth? Well, China isn't quite there just yet.

2009... http://www.wired.com/2009/11/is-this-chinas-anti-satellite-laser-weapon-site/

Though placing ones strategically around a city to take a drones is a new idea, it's hardly a "small step" towards a new idea for China. The US is already working on anti-missile laser technology and you can assume China is doing (or has) the same.

ExtraDebit:
To troll the defensive system, hobbyist mouth mirrors on their drone, laser reflected back to the ground cause havoc to civilians down below.

Wow that's... that's a horrible idea! I mean, for the people below. Would it work? Could you make the bottom of your drone a disco ball?

SmugFrog:

ExtraDebit:

Wow that's... that's a horrible idea! I mean, for the people below. Would it work? Could you make the bottom of your drone a disco ball?

No and maybe.
No, because our basic domestic mirrors can't reflect military grade lasers (they get burned immediately)
Maybe, because certain types of mirrors could partially reflect military grade lasers (at least for some time)

blackrave:
No and maybe.

Yeah, a laser designed to melt something I can't imagine it standing up long against it - but it sure would be fun to watch.

Ukomba:
I think it's finally time, the future is now, TIME TO CHROME PLATE EVERYTHING. :D

Gods be damned my good man, that is some funny shit right there. I'll start chrome plating Canada, you get the US. Deal?

Captcha: INterested in a Hawaiian family vacation? Not with you Captcha, not with you. Answer is even wierder: maple syrup. Gods be damned, im not smearing any of that on you Captcha. My future girlfriend, yes, you no

Ukomba:

Double post suckers. Captcha really loves me, wants to put double posts of all my jokes and funsies.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here