Buy an AMD R9 GPU, Get Civilization: Beyond Earth for Free

Buy an AMD R9 GPU, Get Civilization: Beyond Earth for Free

Civilization Beyond Earth

All AMD R9 290 GPUs now come with four free PC games.

By most accounts, Civilization: Beyond Earth is a pretty solid game. Fearless Leader Greg Tito liked it, despite some flaws, and fans of the Civilization franchise will feel right at home...in spaaaaaace..

So getting a copy of Civilization: Beyond Earth for the low price of zero dollars* might sound appealing, yes? The * catch, however, is you have to buy a new AMD R9 Series GPU.

Starting right meow, anyone who purchases an AMD R9 290 GPU -- that's including the 290, 290X, and 295x2 -- gets Civilization: Beyond Earth for free, and that's on top of the Gold Reward that comes with top-tier AMD cards to begin with.

The Gold Reward that's attached to all R9 Series graphics cards lets buyers choose three PC games from a rather lengthy list, including like Alien: Isolation, Payday 2, Tomb Raider, and Company of Heroes 2 (there's a full list here).

Also announced today for pre-order was the 8 GB version of AMD's R9 290X. Along with the same GPU specs that have been shipping in the 290X since its launch last October, the new flavor has 8 GB of GDDR5 memory on-board, and a 512-bit memory bus. Sapphire has been shipping 8 GB 290X variants for a few months, sure, but AMD is now giving all of its partners the green light on ramping up memory capacity.

While many a PC player won't need 8 GB of video memory anytime soon, the 4K gaming crowd will undoubtedly scoop this new card up.

Source: AMD PR

Damn, that's pretty nice. Kinda makes sense to bundle Civ:BE, it's one of the very few games that support Mantle.

Wish they had this deal last year when I bought my GPU.

Better than the deal I got. I got a GTX970 a few weeks ago and combined with my motherborad I got a free copy of Watch Dogs.

That sounds pretty freaking sweet. Too bad I don't have any money to put together a new rig right now.

Wow. The Escapist's gotten more blatant about their ads lately, huh?

Don't worry, I kid! That's a pretty good deal though.

Starting right "meow"? Ok, I love it. Keep up the good work.

Wow I can get games with certain deals on craphics cards? You don't say!

Err, so if I bought an AMD R9 series from a physical retailer in the past month, I guess I'm out of luck for any of this rite? Well dang.

I am still waiting for Nvidia to add 8 gigs to their newest lineup. My company will pay me to build a renderfarm out of them for those sweet, sweet, FLOPS!

Misleading title, I was thinking about getting an R9 270x for the free Star Citizen and Alien Isolation, and you had me thinking I could get a Civilization BE too. :I

damn it. and i just got my 290x last week after my last card broke down on me. no games in it. i sure would have snatched alien since steam does not sell it here in hong kong.
it is a damn good card. but when i play tomb raider, it really gets loud, even with my headphones on and it gets very hot. i can even smell it.

You guys forgot the disclaimer saying you got paid to write this. Really obvious considering there's no mention of Nvidia's deal for the 9xx series and select 7xx series cards.

Gizmo1990:
Better than the deal I got. I got a GTX970 a few weeks ago and combined with my motherborad I got a free copy of Watch Dogs.

Nvidia has a similar deal where you can get one Ubisoft's upcoming titles. Depending on where you got it (I've heard Newegg's been doing it) you may be able to still get the deal.

black_knight1337:
You guys forgot the disclaimer saying you got paid to write this. Really obvious considering there's no mention of Nvidia's deal for the 9xx series and select 7xx series cards.

You're not seriously trying to imply something JUST because there is no "Equal Opportunity" for video-cards, are you?

Saulkar:
I am still waiting for Nvidia to add 8 gigs to their newest lineup. My company will pay me to build a renderfarm out of them for those sweet, sweet, FLOPS!

They don't have 512 bit memory bus, so the next step up is 12 GB ... they only have that (for a single core) on the Tesla and Quadro line. I doubt they will be able to do 24 GB on a Titan, so marketing wise going for 12 GB (for a single core) presents some problems for the consumer cards (AMD seems to have simply decided that they had more chance at the mid end, but that will be much harder for NVIDIA).

I wouldn't wait for it ...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here