Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens

The first of the next trio of Star Wars films will have the subtitle, "The Force Awakens."

Just announced on Twitter is the subtitle for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

The official Twitter account noted principal photography for the film recently finished. Last weekend the cast and crew celebrated the end of filming.

The announcement arrived quietly on Twitter despite it being the first follow-up to an incredibly well-known movie series. J.J. Abrams is the director for Episode VII, and the movie cast includes some original cast members as well as John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Lupita Nyong'o, and Gwendoline Christie.. The movie will not be using CGI, Episode VIII director Rian Johnson said. There are even going to be hundreds of live-action stormtroopers.

The Force Awakens takes place 30 years after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens releases in theaters on December 18, 2015.

Source: Star Wars (Twitter)

Wow. That's...bleeding awful. Yeesh. I think I used that line in foreplay at some point.

They might as well have just called it STAR WARS: REVELATIONS instead.

Looks like they wanted to call it "The Force Unleashed" then realised they had already called something that.

As someone has just suggested in the room I am typing in:

Star Wars episode VII: Revenge of the Ewoks.

Another nail, same coffin.

Aren't odd-numbered movies supposed to be something evil?

I... Ouch. Really, ouch.

You mean the Force was sleeping throughout the previous movies? If so, it can do some pretty impressive stuff in its sleep...

It could be worse, and the title doesn't matter as long as the movie is good/fun.
Sure it doesn't sound THAT cool, but if this is like 50 years after episode VI then I can understand the name, it actually means what happens in the film... y'know...

Were all of the midichlorians in the galaxy asleep for 30 years? Maybe they hibernate. I hope they elaborate on that in the movie.

MiskWisk:
Looks like they wanted to call it "The Force Unleashed" then realised they had already called something that.

You know, you're probably right. No one would use Awakens if they can use Unleashed instead.

-1 for for style.
-5 for being similar to The Force Unleashed.
-10 WTF is it supposed to mean? The force can sleep? When did it fall asleep? Whyyyyyy?!?!? *Anger Spren*

MiskWisk:

What's stopping them? It's not like TFU is canon anymore.

Scrythe:

MiskWisk:

Because The Force Unleashed was terrible and they don't want to tie it to that in any way? Though giving it the name of an ex-canon thing might have been a good move. Something like 'Dark Force Rising' would have given me a of a smile. Even something like 'Tempest' or 'Balance Point' would have been an amusing call back.

Well, a better title would've been "The Awakening of the Force" but eh. It's okay. Mostly I'm looking forward to Drew Struzan's amazing posters again.

Okay, well, not as bad as "Attack of the Clones", at least. Ah, well. Titles was never really Star Wars' strong suit.

That sounds even more awkward than the prequel titels.

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Force Goes To School
Star Wars Episode IX - The Force Does Its' Homework

Should went for Star Wars Episode VII - Revengeance

More titles should use Revengeance.

That sounds lame. The could have called it "Rebirth of the Force," "Renaissance of the Force," or "Shit, Those Sith Guys are Back." Anything would be better than "Awakens." Too bad "Unleashed," "Return of," and other good ones were taken up by other entries in the franchise, and "Rises" was just used by Batman. I would have called it "Reunion of the Force" if the stupid execs wanted it to have such a cheesey title.

Scrythe:

MiskWisk:

The threat of raging fanboys is stopping them. It's actually a smart move on their part to not use names from the EU's best received works.

The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.

...Kinda lazy isn't it? I mean has the force really been asleep in the past six movies? It seems like it's been pretty active.

Star Wars: Dawn of Force-tice
Star Wars: Good Morning Force-nam
Star Wars: A New Awakening
Star Wars: Begin Again by Force

I guess midichlorians have sleep cycles.

roseofbattle:
The movie will not be using CGI...

Hahahahaha... sure.

About the title, its not that bad. It is not great either, but Star Wars subtitles have always been underwhelming.

I guess things like this should be expected from movies that have release dates before they have scripts. Disney.

Brian Tams:
The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.

It gives me an idea and it's one I don't like. It sounds like some newbloods awaken to the force and begin training in the ways of the Jedi. That would go in line with the "oh shit, hero grampa died, now I've got to do stuff" which is one theory as to what the plot might be. The stupid thing is that if some of Luke's or Leila and Han's kids were force sensitive, they would be trained from young age. And god forbid they only now start a new Academy, 30 fucking years after the Empire fell.

But hey, it's by the same guy who made the proud Klingon into space orks. So I guess fuck original lore and continuity.

Brian Tams:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

I dont' know anything about the plot of the movie, but as far as I'm aware being a force user was pretty rare in the Star Wars main trilogy, hell there was only 5 roughly in the first 3 movies, unlike the swarm there was in the prequels, and with the wipe of the extended universe we don't know how many are actually left. Maybe it's some sort of surge of force users becoming active or discovering their powers. A new age of Jedi and Sith.

Disney is still overlooking a market segment they yet to cater to: the import tuner scene.

They really should have gone with Star Wars 7: The Fast and the Force Users.

roseofbattle:
The movie will not be using CGI, Episode VIII director Rian Johnson said.

hermes200:
Hahahahaha... sure.

The original article says that less CGI is being used, not none. They built a bunch of practical sets and props, including some full-sized X-Wings, but unless someone's come up with a convincing way of using practical effects for laser blasts and lightsabers, there's going to be some CGI involved.

Is that the whole title? No mention of it being episode VII?

I guess it fits in with the current naming trend.

UNHchabo:

roseofbattle:
The movie will not be using CGI, Episode VIII director Rian Johnson said.

hermes200:
Hahahahaha... sure.

The original article says that less CGI is being used, not none. They built a bunch of practical sets and props, including some full-sized X-Wings, but unless someone's come up with a convincing way of using practical effects for laser blasts and lightsabers, there's going to be some CGI involved.

Yeah... my comment was directed more to the misdirection of the link than to the credibility of the claim.

I still think there is a lot of potential for bs in the claim (it being LucasArts and all), but there is no reason to discredit it before I see the movie.

AgentLampshade:
Well, a better title would've been "The Awakening of the Force" but eh. It's okay. Mostly I'm looking forward to Drew Struzan's amazing posters again.

Damn. That is better, and it only took 10 posts.

Brian Tams:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

We still have no idea about the plot of the new movie.

If I have to guess (and this is only a guess based on the title), there is going to be an event that will awake the force in hundreds or thousands of people in the universe, and the heroes are going to race against the clock to identify and recruit the new jedis before a new threat (maybe a new sith lord) beats them to it and creates an army of dark force users...

Something similar to the third season of Legend of Korra.

Oh, this title is almost as silly as Days of Future Past. No mention of it being Episode VII also doesn't look promising, given that every other Star Wars film does that.

Nimcha:
Is that the whole title? No mention of it being episode VII?

I guess it fits in with the current naming trend.

Yeah, I was about to say that, on the twitter announcement they just call it the short title too (though VII is mentioned afterwards as a hashtag). A shame but I suppose they're aiming to get new audiences in who haven't necessarily seen all of the previous movies, if the numeral is dropped.

Another way of saying "The Jedi will get its act together and kick Sith ass" but making it more non confrontational. Awakens sounds less violent i guess. lol

Maybe it means the force awakens in someone? The new main character most probably.

or maybe in this new EU the Jedi have only just started to reform, who knows. Tbf Return of the jedi, was a bit of a silly title considering there had been Jedi in the previous movies. I don't mind this new one, so long as it means something for the film.

hermes200:

Brian Tams:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

We still have no idea about the plot of the new movie.

If I have to guess (and this is only a guess based on the title), there is going to be an event that will awake the force in hundreds or thousands of people in the universe, and the heroes are going to race against the clock to identify and recruit the new jedis before a new threat (maybe a new sith lord) beats them to it and creates an army of dark force users...

Something similar to the third season of Legend of Korra.

Now that would be awesome xD

JJ?! YOU READING THIS!? XD

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.