Blizzard Unveils Completely New Overwatch IP - Update

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Blizzard Unveils Completely New Overwatch IP - Update

Hanzo from Overwatch

Blizzard has revealed a completely new IP, Overwatch, at BlizzCon 2014.

Blizzcon 2014 broke new ground for Blizzard - an entirely new IP was revealed. Overwatch will be a team-based multiplayer first-person shooter "that is completely action-packed." It is said to be "very approachable" to new players, and appears to be a class-based game similar to Team Fortress 2. Development is focused on the PC platform.

All maps are 6v6 and objective-based. Players resurrect in "safe" areas in order to avoid spawn camping.

The original setting is a near-future sci-fi set on Earth. The reveal cinematic trailer had a Pixar-like quality to it and included in-joke references to Hearthstone and StarCraft. The visuals are heavily stylized, similar to Heroes of the Storm.

The gameplay trailer revealed the various characters, which range from giant gorillas, to dwarves, to robots, to superheroic humans. Overwatch includes 12 characters to choose from. A press release revealed details about the following four heroes:

· Tracer, a former British test pilot who shrugs at danger, can execute impossible acrobatic assaults thanks to her ability to teleport, drop energy bombs, and even reverse time.

· Reinhardt, a hulking German soldier in battle armor, can charge great distances and pin his enemies to a wall or slam the ground with his rocket hammer to knock them off their feet.

· Hanzo, a bow-wielding Japanese mercenary, has the ability to scale walls with his bare hands, fire off a tracking device that illuminates nearby enemies for his team, and unleash a huge spirit dragon that does grievous damage to all enemies in its path.

· Symmetra, an Indian architech, manipulates light and energy to shield her allies and damage her enemies-and she can turn the tide of any battle by building a device that instantly transports her teammates to the front lines.

The full roster of heroes, as well as signups for the 2015 beta, can be found here: playoverwatch.com.

looks pretty good to me so far. getting some tf2 crossed with league of legends since there were clearly what people would consider ultimate moves going off in that game-play trailer.

I'm just so happy it actually bright and colorful. Serious Incurables vibes as well

Hmmm, colour me interested. Oh, not to mention impressed that they haven't just recycled their existing franchises for once.

I was watching the live feed. I'm ridiculously excited right now. To the point of embarrassment. Blizzard FTW.

TF2/Monday Night Combat clone, it's a bit dissapointing. It shows that Blizzard has all but abandoned their gritty style and wants to focus on a younger audience.

That being said, visually it looks polished and impressive. Disney is likely envious.

I predict F2P model with ingame purchases for skins etc.
It will likely be a moderately popular game that won't enter the e-sports scene. I certainly have no interest in watching it.

Why do I get the feeling someone is still mad at Valve for DOTA 2?

when i saw the cinematic i was thinking 'o, its a giant middle finger to wildstar'
then i saw the gameplay and i was thinking 'o its a giant middle finger to valve'

either way i approve xD

Oh look, all the support characters are women. How original.

So a fun setting completely wasted on yet another boring multiplayer shooter? Looks like Titanfall will have some company.

Also, why the hell is no one talking about that batshit awesome Legacy of the Void trailer?!

The cinematics were awesome!
This looks pretty cool, but as for online multiplayer shooters my first choice will be Splat00n since I don't own a PC that most likely would be able to run this :P

Aetrion:

Sniper, High-mobility blinker, Defensive turret user, Offensive Rocket/Explosion's expert... Oh, and one Support who is a paladinesque flying mecha-angel

Yeah, right, definitely, all support. Fuck Blizzard for being a bunch of stereotypical hacks.

Fucking Christ.

OT:
Watched it, looked really cool. They have a website up and operational now.
http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Guffe:
The cinematics were awesome!
This looks pretty cool, but as for online multiplayer shooters my first choice will be Splat00n since I don't own a PC that most likely would be able to run this :P

Honestly, given Blizzard's track record, your potatoes can run the game. They're usually decent about that. That's not similarly said about optimization for max-settings, but that's details.

but does it have hats?

Ferisar:

Aetrion:

Sniper, High-mobility blinker, Defensive turret user, Offensive Rocket/Explosion's expert... Oh, and one Support who is a paladinesque flying mecha-angel

Yeah, right, definitely, all support. Fuck Blizzard for being a bunch of stereotypical hacks.

Fucking Christ.

The being said, just look at their models. They might differ in height, but something tells me they're kind of the same in body build... I'd be more mad at that than the 'typical' support character being female.

As for the topic... I'd have to play it to see if it's any good. Problem is, it's another multiplayer shooter. Anything multiplayer kind of makes it harder for me to want to play it. At least it has a sci-fi ish element to it, so that's cool.

hickwarrior:

The being said, just look at their models. They might differ in height, but something tells me they're kind of the same in body build... I'd be more mad at that than the 'typical' support character being female.

Sure! You can be as angry as you feel like at things that are actually real. You can't say shit like "oh, all the supports are deh wehmenz" when there's a total of 12 characters, 3 of which are "hard support" and two of them are female. Oh no. Their incomplete roster features two female supports... Let's also completely ignore the other ones that are offensive or defensive characters.

captcha: nut case

NO I'M NOT CAPTCHA

LEAVE ME ALONE

Doesn't look like a very original concept coming from them, it basically looks like TF2 with a whole lot more heroes.

That said, if there's anything I trust Blizzard with, it's with making fun games. They even managed to make a frekking card game fun. Can't say they've ever let me down on that one in the past either.

Especially with that shield and the art style, this reminds me of what Overstrike could have been had it not gotten EA'd.

Regardless, this looks fun. It's like TF2 with more casual-level high-mobility and a slower speed. The scout's reversal of time looks like tons of fun. I'm just sad they forgot to rip off the Pyro.

Unfortunately, the accents are a bit too much. If everyone has a heavily indistinguishable accent, then nobody does.

It looks fun, though multiplayer shooters and such aren't my style, but I have to ask...could they have spouted anymore cliches? Is it possible?

One shot one kill...Hammer time...Did someone call a doctor...

Come on, Blizz, you can do better one liners than that.

While I do like the look to it but I am suspicious toward Blizzards. I guess time will tell if the game will be any good.

Whether or not I want to play this will depend entirely on the business model. If they go free-to-play, all characters available, cosmetic or progression only real money items then I'm in. If they charge for it, but everything is unlocked, then I'm in. If they go free-to-play, buy new characters or play the free rotation, then I'm out.

Smilomaniac:
TF2/Monday Night Combat clone, it's a bit dissapointing. It shows that Blizzard has all but abandoned their gritty style and wants to focus on a younger audience.

Pardon me, but "Blizzard's gritty style"? When I think Blizzard games, "Gritty" is hardly the first word that comes to mind. Diablo perhaps, but Warcraft? Starcraft? Hearthstone, or even their older fare, such as the Lost Vikings or Rock and Roll Racing? Blizzard has always favored more colorful, stylized looks.

Catherine Williamson-Wingate:

Smilomaniac:

Pardon me, but "Blizzard's gritty style"? When I think Blizzard games, "Gritty" is hardly the first word that comes to mind. Diablo perhaps, but Warcraft? Starcraft? Hearthstone, or even their older fare, such as the Lost Vikings or Rock and Roll Racing? Blizzard has always favored more colorful, stylized looks.

I'd encourage you to look at the concept art, especially, for the first two warcraft games.
I agree that Blizzard has focused on stylized and vibrant artstyles, but blood and gruff characters have almost always been part of Blizzard games.

Smilomaniac:

I'd encourage you to look at the concept art, especially, for the first two warcraft games.
I agree that Blizzard has focused on stylized and vibrant artstyles, but blood and gruff characters have almost always been part of Blizzard games.

So.. By "always" you mean about 10 years, out of their 24 year existence?

Smilomaniac:

Catherine Williamson-Wingate:

Smilomaniac:

Well, Team Fortress Classic was definatly a more realistic styled game compared to it's sequel http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/23/Team_Fortress_Classic_original_models.jpg .
Hell even the early beta of TF2 was suppose to be more "gritty".
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/Tf2_oldstyle.jpg

So, yea. Didn't stop them from being one of the currently most played FPS on the market.

Styles can be diverse from one company, if you want gritty you've still got Diablo and Starcraft. They have shown long ago since Warcraft 3 that they have a whimsical side. And whats wrong with that? Adults can enjoy that too. You want games that pander to Younger kids you'll find them in Call of Duty and Battlefield. oh snap I just went there.

chikusho:

Smilomaniac:

So.. By "always" you mean about 10 years, out of their 24 year existence?

By almost always, I mean their biggest games in the form of the Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series, which I'd say constitutes the majority of their production.

Feel free to disagree.

Cant see shit with all that bloom.

Aetrion:

Two out of five women are supports, two out of three supports are female. I don't even know what you saw there...

Smilomaniac:
It shows that Blizzard has all but abandoned their gritty style and wants to focus on a younger audience.

Not to disagree with you, or argue, or anything but just a comment I want to get off my chest:

This artstyle doesn't mean that they want to focus on a younger audience.

On Topic:

Ubisoft: "Girls are hard, guys."

Blizzard: "Here's five playable females, two robots, and a gorilla wearing glasses. You're welcome."

I like the overall design though this isn't the sort of game I'd be playing.

And I'm not a fan of the large amount of insta-kill attacks the game seems to have...

Is it just me or does it seem like everybody is pumping out a class-based multiplayer shooter these days? Battleborn, this, that one that Bethesda is doing. Just seems interesting. Still looks good though.

Aetrion:

There are 5 women and 5 men in this lineup, and one of those men is a fucking gorilla. 2 of the women are classified as offence, 2 are classified as support and 1 is classified as defense.

Nice to see confirmation bias is alive and kicking.

5 female characters and only one of them has a "dumb sexy" outfit

that's a pretty big improvement coming from a company whose MMO has heavy armor that turns into a bikini, or suddenly gains holes when put on female characters.

I mean shit, the heaviest armor wearing female (pharah) doesn't even have sculpted tits on her armor! what year is this? 2050?

It would have been interesting to see a female tank, since that's usually a rarity at best. But since there only seems to be two tanks anyways it's not a big deal.

The aesthetics (especially the armor) seem very.......Firefall. Which considering a few of the characters have jetpacks is a hilarious coincidence.

Oh my stars, that looks fun as hell.

This normally isn't my thing, but that looks like a blast. Can't wait to see more of it. :D

Signed for the Beta. This could have been you and Overstrike, Isomniac. My giddy aunt this looks like a barrel of fun and everyone seems capable of kicking ass, so no complaints there.

Visually I'd have to say though my favs are Pharah and Reinhardt.

Aetrion:

Cool! ... I only play support, and I prefer female avatars. To each their own I guess...

Uhh just 1 question though. Why is the rocketeer "support"?. Looked more like a Roamer Solly to me and I can't really think of anything more self-sufficient and Offense focused than the Roamer Solly besides the Roamer Scout in 6v6's. And snipers... well Snipers aren't actually support, they're Disruption or something "defense". But they're never a 'pocket'/Warder to anyone b/c they usually don't have any support skills anyway.

undeadsuitor:
The aesthetics (especially the armor) seem very.......Firefall. Which considering a few of the characters have jetpacks is a hilarious coincidence.

Haha! That's exactly what I said on their official video after watching it. I was worried it was only me who drew that conclusion. But yeah even the way the characters "gleem" and move feels identical to FauFau

If the shooter isn't an arena shooter like Quake, UT, or Halo 1 the shooter is garbage bar none. Really hoped Blizzard would reborn the competitive arena shooter.

That... actually looks really, really good. Colour me excited, Blizzard.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here