Fantastic Four Reboot's Doctor Doom Is a Russian Blogger?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fantastic Four Reboot's Doctor Doom Is a Russian Blogger?

doctor doom

Actor Toby Kebbell may have revealed the new origin of his iconic Marvel villain

Even though fans have yet to see a trailer, plot-description or even cast/set photos, we've know for a long time now that Chronicle director Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot movie is going to be a big departure from its source material. But the actor playing Doctor Doom may have now revealed just how different things might be.

In a video interview with Collider, actor Toby Kebbell (who also portrays Koba in the new Planet of The Apes films) offered up that the character now has a Russian surname ...and a surprising occupation:

"He's Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I'm sure I'll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours - I'm a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I'm 'Doom.'"

One of Marvel Comics' most iconic supervillains, Doctor Doom has traditionally begun as Victor Von Doom, a scientist and magic-practitioner of Romani descent who rules over the fictional nation of Latveria and blames Reed "Mr. Fantastic" Richards for his (supposed) disfigurement in an accident when they were college students. He was portrayed previously by Julian McMahon in an earlier adaptation of the series, which also took significant liberties with the character's origin and background.

Source: Collider

Okay... odd. This does sound discouraging, but of course, it's not quite enough information to judge just yet. I guess we'll see, but I'm not super hopeful.

What was Zero Cool taken when he had to choose a username?

So Doom's just some angry internet blogger?

I can see it now;

Boy, I hope the warranty on my flame shield is still good.

Kmadden2004:

I can see it now;

Here, you can borrow mine, too.

You've earned it.

Wow. Just... I didn't think I could be any less excited for this movie. My scale of not-excited just found a new low... it may even be at or beyond zero.

Captcha: Take the cake
Well said Inglip, well said.

Kmadden2004:

I can see it now;

Take mine, that made me laugh way too much. XD

OT: Well, I don't know how I feel about this. Dr. Doom has always been one of my favorite villains in comics, and this seems like an insult to the Doctor.

Wait...angry Russian Blogger...does he rant about the stuff New 52 Clark Kent writes!? XD

So he's a blogger who gets his villain name from his online handle. That's like something a teenager with no imagination would do.

WonkyWarmaiden:
What was Zero Cool taken when he had to choose a username?

I bet he wanted Acid Burn but it was taken as well. :P

I wonder if anyone will get that reference...

Anywho, lets not forget that it's already been revealed that he'll look like Commander General of the Putty Patrol from the Power Rangers. This just keeps getting better and better. I think we're well beyond being able to equate the liberties being taken with this franchise to Michael Bay wanting to make the Ninja Turtles into aliens. At least someone was able to talk Bay out of going through with it. Then again, they did specifically say that the movie is going to have absolutely nothing to do with the comics...so it's literally going to be more of a Fantastic 4 fan-fic than a movie rendition of a comic book franchise.

No wonder Marvel decided to bring an end to the Fantastic 4 comics. :P

Welp, this movie sure looks doomed, I can say that much.

Now I KNOW Sony is just screwing with everybody. This will either be so bizarre it's awful or so bizarre it's awesome.

Now I am curious how they explain black Johnny Storm.

Well Then
HMMMM

Nope, will not watch

WhiteTigerShiro:
So he's a blogger who gets his villain name from his online handle. That's like something a teenager with no imagination would do.

Adults are pretty much just teenagers, just more cynical. You only need to look at, well, anything political to learn this.

So... how will he get super powers?

Will he become the Freakazoid?

Man. Just Fuck Fox right in the ear for this.

It's like they want to make Marvel fans hate them or something. I mean you can take many liberties and still have people be supportive. Look at the X-Men movies. They've made plenty of changes, but still work as a comic adaptation. This just seems like they've wiped their ass with our comic collections and are now waving the stinking pages in our faces.

I mean c'mon. Doctor Doom is one of Marvel's best most iconic characters. Doom deserves so much better.

I never want a movie to tank. Honestly. I always hope for them to be good. But this one has set a new standard. It doesn't even seem like they want to make a Fantastic Four movie. Why even bother with the license? I know they have a rivalry with Disney, but for the love of God this sounds awful.

I hope this one tanks so bad that Marvel has a legal case against them. Defamation of Brand or something. Because nothing I've heard of it seems like they have any respect for the legacy of the books.

So he is a blogger who gets his panties in a twist and goes crazy? Where does he post his blogs, tumblr? Come on I need details! This is so bad sounding it can only be a success!

In this timeline the "Fantastic Four" is an indie dev that sends out a copyright strike against Victor Fucking Domashev Son after a particularly scathing review post, thus inciting him to hunt them down in a fan-made Power Rangers costume and beat them with a novelty dragon dildo.

I mean, that might as well be the synopsis considering nobody's actually going to see this damn thing.

I'll be shot for this, but I kinda did like the Doctor Doom of the first set of Fantastic Four movies, where he was a Billionair who was hit by the same cosmic rays as the others and his skin turned metal as a result.
Yeah, CEO guy turned Evil isn't exactly a ground breaking, but I think we can all agree it suited the character FAR better then this...

Can someone loan me a flamethrower? I seem to have misplaced mine. Screaming "Kill it! Kill it with fire!" doesn't have the same gravitas unless I am wielding a flamethrower.

Rawbeard:
Now I am curious how they explain black Johnny Storm.

The Storm family are black, Sue is adopted.

to the OP: EUGH

He's not Russian, he's fucking Latvarian and ethnically Romani. He isn't a hacker, he's a brilliant Scientist who is brought down by his narcissism and megalomania. The man wears a cape! The first F4 movie at least got some aspects right, and made him fun by making him hammy to hell. This is just.... eugh.

webkilla:

That would certainly make me want to watch this movie, hahah.

OT:
Yeah, OK. That sounds completely fine and no one would ever care. >_>

So does Reed Richards file a false DMCA claim against Doom's critique of his work sending him into full on supervillain?

Are they... deliberately trying to piss off fans?

I mean, I'm no Fantastic Four fan (or comic book fan for that matter), but every news I hear about this movie sounds like a slap in the face. I mean, this is sounding more and more like a fan parody for adaptations that take too much liberties with it's source material.

Just, just no. If this is a sign of things to come then i'll probably just watch the last fantastic four instead. Think about that.

You have to wonder at the mind of someone who looks at how successful Marvel's films have been by drawing heavily from the source material and then says "let's do the opposite of that." The last two films took liberties, this one seems barely recognisable.

Ferisar:

webkilla:

That would certainly make me want to watch this movie, hahah.

OT:
Yeah, OK. That sounds completely fine and no one would ever care. >_>

Super-teen extraordinaire
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom
Runs around in girls chatrooms
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom

Nuking Washington D.C.
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom
Unless something better's on reddit
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom

His schemes are overloading
It has a rule34 coating
Textbook case for image boards
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom

Check out Victor Domashev
Nerd computer ace
Went surfing on the internet
And was zapped to cyberspace
He turned into the Dr. Doom
He's strong and super-quick
He drives the heroes crazy
'Cause he's a lunatic

His home base is the Doomalair
Dr. Doom - redditor
Floyd the Barber cuts his hair
Dr. Doom - Chimpanzee!
Rides around in the Doommobile
Dr. Doom - creepy chatroom
Hopes to make a movie deal
Dooming me! Dooming you!

He's here to doom the nation
So stay tuned to this station
If not, we'll just go boom
Dr. Doom - Dr. Doom
Dr. Doom

as if Hoboom (hobo Doom) wasn't enough of an insult to the awesomeness that is Victor Von Doom, seriously he was the only reason I actually wanted the Fantastic Four to be a good movie and he's the only reason I've read any Fantastic Four books, the team themselves are just not interesting enough outside of Ben Grimm.

they've stripped out so much of the fantastic in the name of making a grounded "grounded realistic" movie at this point that this movie can hardly be called "Fantastic Four" something like the "Average Four" is more appropriate, I mean what's the point of making a Fantastic four movie if your only going to use character names and nothing else?

For a movie that is trying to keep everything under wraps, it seems every bit of info that does get disseminated is just terrible.

I want to believe this is the most elaborate prank ever. I mean, the odds of getting every single thing wrong is just so remote. You almost have to know what is right and actively avoid it to not do something good by pure accident.

Maybe their master plan is to make the Roger Corman version look better.

It's like hearing about a horrible train wreck on the news and they go on to say 'we'll have more in just a little bit', you sit there thinking 'noooooo, I don't wanna' but images flash across the screen and you can't look away.

webkilla:
Super-teen extraordinaire
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom
Runs around in girls chatrooms
Dr. Doom, Dr. Doom

[snip]

I thank you, webkilla. I thank you with all of my heart.

Programmer/blogger cause gotta seem modern for the kids!

Russian cause gotta spread paranoia/fear about the Russians like it's the 80s all over again *eyeroll*

From what I've seen of the costume that looks caked in mud and swamp stuff and the evil blogger angle I have very low hopes for this.

Are they kidding with this FF movie?! They are forcing on us "The Hipster Four". I'm not digging this grounded approach.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here