Sony Denies Aunt May Movie Rumor - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Denies Aunt May Movie Rumor - Update

aunt may

Oh, now you're just being silly

Update: Contacted by Comic Book Resources, Sony Pictures has denied that they are considering an Amazing Spider-Man spin-off based around the origins of Aunt May, calling the reports "a silly rumor" with "no validity whatsoever."

Original Story: Broken record time: Because of Hollywood contract law, Sony has to keep making movies about and/or related to Spider-Man on a regular basis or lose the rights to the character to rival studio Disney/Marvel. But with attempts to reboot the main series having more or less failed twice (with a third now delayed;) plans have shifted to spin-offs built around villains and yet-unidentified female heroes. But a breaking rumor, if true, could be the most unusual idea yet - are you ready for Spider-Man Origins: Aunt May??*

Believe it or not, the superhero scoop-masters at Latino Review (who knew who was playing The Black Panther a year ago) are claiming that this is Sony's new plan for extending the Amazing Spider-Brand: An origin-story that would reveal young May Parker's (possibly back when she was still May Reilly) secret past in "Some sort of espionage story in the vein of AMC's Mad Men." It is not known whether or not this reimagining of the character is inspired by Marvel's upcoming Agent Carter series, or if Sally Field would be sought to reprise her role as the (present-day) Aunt May in some capacity.

Despite having been part of the Spider-Man franchise from the beginning, little is actually known about the life of May Reilly Parker Jameson in the mainstream Marvel Universe prior to adopting her sister's son, Peter. A 2003 series called Trouble, depicting her and her sister Mary as promiscuous teenagers (and May as the actual biological mother of Peter!) was intended to become her official backstory but was scrapped because of negative reception by readers. She has also seldom been depicted as involved in any action or espionage scenarios (Richard and Mary Parker were CIA Agents in the comics), save for a single adventure where she (briefly) attained the power of The Silver Surfer and became Galactus' new herald, "The Golden Oldie."

*Not the actual title (probably.)

Source: Latino Review

You. Have. To. Be. Fucking. Kidding. Me.

Oh come on Sony. Either get your sh*t together or just let the rights lapse back to Marvel/Disney. You clearly have no idea what you're doing with the Spider-Man franchise at this point, so why throw good money after bad? You can still make money off of the first 5 films for the next 82-95 years, so just be happy with that.

I don't think there's a metaphor for this level of stupidity. Its become a universal constant.

Well, it is just a rumor, however credible it may be. BUT rumor or no- Sony... Just stop. Let the rights lapse. It's getting to Police Academy deminishing returns. Pretty soon, you'll be lucky to break even with budget on new films in the franchise and investors will have heads rolling if you don't dump or sell.

Your source is Latino Review? A site that is a hit and miss when it comes to news and predictions?

If the news is true then money makes people stupid but if false, WE GET IT. Any product Marvel related product that isn't produced by Marvel Studio isn't to your liking. So you may be more focused on the bad news instead of the good. Good on ya.

Paradox SuXcess:
Your source is Latino Review? A site that is a hit and miss when it comes to news and predictions?

If the news is true then money makes people stupid but if false, WE GET IT. Any product Marvel related product that isn't produced by Marvel Studio isn't to your liking. So you may be more focused on the bad news instead of the good. Good on ya.

...except for, you know, X-Men movies. He gave them good reviews.

RealRT:

Paradox SuXcess:

...except for, you know, X-Men movies. He gave them good reviews.

And Punisher: War Zone too. And he even gave Spider-Man 3 a pass.

Anyway, this is the second most absurd thing I've read today regarding non-MCU Marvel movies (The first being the Doom article about the not-really-the-Fantastic Four movie).

I have the title... Aunt May's adventures with hard candy.

I...I.... I think someone at Sony got their cocaine bucket and talcumpowder bucket mixed up.

Seriously.. an Aunt May movie....what next. A PA Kent trilogy.

Are Sony and Fox having a "who can screw up their Marvel property more" contest? Because that's the only reason I can think of right now.

BigTuk:

Please don't give them any ideas.

That sounds awful.

Yes, Amazing Spider-Man 1 was such a failure....

Then again, Bob included 2, where he already had to backpedal.

vagabondwillsmile:
Well, it is just a rumor, however credible it may be.

And it's not very credible. Latino Review has had a couple noteworthy successes, but not a great track record.

But as the comments demonstrate, people will take any excuse possible to complain about the Amazing Spider-Man line.

Antonio Torrente:

Please don't give them any ideas.

Now now, I think I'd rather watch that than MOS 2.

Or Sinister 6.

When I saw this I figured they were trying to build up hype for Spider-Man joining the Marvel films by killing her off in time for the Civil War. Nope they're just looking at the hype for Agent Carter and going who can we fit in this. Please let Sinister Six or Amazing Spider-Man fail before this does.

BigTuk:

Did you miss the rumors of the possible Krypton series to match Gotham... and Smallville.

You know what? I am going to start a Kickstarter for Sony. I will buy them 10,000 straws, because clearly they are grasping for them.

Maybe it can be about her being a hippie in the sixties, meeting Uncle Ben, and turn into a heartwarming period peace about facing down the man.
Or it can be shit.

You know, this is going to suck big time, and it clearly shows Sony Pictures is scraping the bottom of the barrel so hard lava will soon pour out of it... but, those that consider it a personal offense could use some perspective. Just google Golden Oldie to see this is likely not the worst thing to come out of that character.

this is a horrible idea and I hope it's not true
... really Sony? Why couldn't you just make a Spider-Gwen movie?
I mean come on, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) was easily the best thing about the ASM movies

First I saw the Doom article, now this. Is today some sort of internet prank day? There's no way these rumors will turn out to be true.

I can't tell which enrages me more. Aunt May getting a film from Sony, knowing full well it'll be terrible. Or how Dr. Doom is going to be absolute shit in the upcoming Fantastic Four film...
... Dr. Doom. Movie might have been salvageable if he had been good. That ain't going to happen now.

A part of me wants this to happen, just like a part of me wanted that horrible Nicolas Cage Superman movie to happen.

But seriously, Sony, it's getting a bit sad now.

Paradox SuXcess:

I'm not overly familiar with their reporting, though I was immediately put off by Bob citing one case where they were right as though that lends this some credibility. Now if they're right 90% of the time, then sure, I might want to take notice. But should I start assuming my watch hasn't stopped because it shows the correct time twice a day? Telling me a site got their reporting right this one time means absolutely dick all to me. If you're going to report on a rumour from them, let's have some actual context and see their actual successful reporting rate.

MovieBob:

Despite having been part of the Spider-Man franchise from the beginning, little is actually known about the life of May Reilly Parker Jameson in the mainstream Marvel Universe prior to adopting her sister's son, Peter.

Wait, Peter is May's sister's son? I thought Ben and Richard were brothers, hence the same last name. Are May and Peter's mum sisters too!? Or am I just missing something here?

Excuse me. I need to go bang my head against a wall for 20 minutes.

I mean, Jesus Fucking Christ on a pogo stick! In the past 24 hours, I have seen acts of stupidity ranging from mental meltdowns (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9884-The-Slaughtering-Grounds-Developer-Meltdown), Fox's ongoing saga to bend Fantastic Four over a rail and fuck it to death (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138528-Toby-Kebbell-Says-His-Doctor-Doom-Is-an-Antisocial-Programmer-in-Fantastic-Four-Reboot), and NOW THIS HORSE SHIT?!

http://youtu.be/uf954qnzP4s?t=45s

The only way this could get more fucking stupid is if this was based off of Mark Millar's Trouble miniseries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble_%28comics%29

If this rumor is true, I'd rather see it adapt that Marvel Team-Up issue because that would be more entertaining to watch. Or you could watch the Atop The Fourth Wall episode Comic Book Quickies #3 and save yourself some time.

http://atopthefourthwall.com/comic-book-quickies-3/

I really wish S'more Schnapps was a real product, just so I can crawl inside a bottle and stay there when shit like this happens.

Did I just fall asleep for almost six months and wake up on April 1st? This can't be true, if... if this is real, then I don't know what to say. Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Marvel please, find Sony's price and just pay it, whatever it takes to get the rights to Spidey back. Come on, whatever you pay you will get back in box office reciepts for an Avengers 3 including Spiderman alone. Plus I promise I will go to see every MCU film you release from this point onwards, in the cinema, on opening weekend, twice.

No.

Objectable:
Maybe it can be about her being a hippie in the sixties, meeting Uncle Ben, and turn into a heartwarming period peace about facing down the man.

I'd be okay with that. A comic maybe.
I actually would be okay with more Aunt May-focused stuff but they would just try tieing superhero stuff to Peter's past even more and I'm not a fan of that.

Then again, if this will be about aunt May inheriting an island with an atomic plant leading her to have whirlwind romance and wedding with Doc Ock I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU!

Obviously, Aunt May is an alien spy bent on the destruction of reality on an entirely metaphysical scale, using the power of magical sporks.

Or, this movie will be the next Rocky Horror.

Or both. <This is the outcome I most desire. Sony. You have one job.

petef201:

MovieBob:

Despite having been part of the Spider-Man franchise from the beginning, little is actually known about the life of May Reilly Parker Jameson in the mainstream Marvel Universe prior to adopting her sister's son, Peter.

Wait, Peter is May's sister's son? I thought Ben and Richard were brothers, hence the same last name. Are May and Peter's mum sisters too!? Or am I just missing something here?

I'm not sure but I suspect you just cut/pasted some of the lyrics to "I am my own Grandpa."

Like any of us could trust Sony to make an awesome Aunt May movie. lol

Okay Sony time to hand Marvel back their toy, you're just embarrassing yourselves now.

Antonio Torrente:
Are Sony and Fox having a "who can screw up their Marvel property more" contest? Because that's the only reason I can think of right now.

Hehehe. Yeah. This is just...wow. Goddamn sony. If you're not gonna do it right, DONT DO IT.

SonOfVoorhees:
Like any of us could trust Sony to make an awesome Aunt May movie. lol

Hahahahahahahahaha! Oh, wow!

Okay sure 'just some silly rumour'... or one Sony executive was really excited about his Aunt May idea and decided to let it slip on the internet so he good show everyone else how great it is. And now he's drinking wine at 5am and pretending it never happened.

TallanKhan:
Marvel please, find Sony's price and just pay it, whatever it takes to get the rights to Spidey back. Come on, whatever you pay you will get back in box office reciepts for an Avengers 3 including Spiderman alone. Plus I promise I will go to see every MCU film you release from this point onwards, in the cinema, on opening weekend, twice.

As someone who's not been into comics ive never understood this view nor the debate between DC and Marvel. I guess its due to not being invested and only watched the movies however I dont see how Sony is doing a bad job, their making good action movies which are all these things seem to be. That said the reboot was silly, prefered they had of just stayed with the previous Spiderman series but that's due to actors changing, seems off.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here