Dragon Age: Inquisition Crashing on PS4, Sony Releasing Patch

Dragon Age: Inquisition Crashing on PS4, Sony Releasing Patch

dai

The PS4 version of Dragon Age: Inquisition experiences some freezing issues from Sony's end due to its PS4 2.0 update.

As reviews for Dragon Age: Inquisition have started to go up, so have reports of issues specifically with the PS4 version. Suffering from freezing and crashing on the PS4, Dragon Age: Inquisition will be getting a patch to fix the issue ahead of its launch next week.

Polygon noted in its review that the game would freeze at least once every few hours and could lock up the PS4. The only way to restart was to do a hard reset, which led to corrupted save files. Joystiq reported similar problems with its own PS4 copy of the game. EA and Sony have both stated this is due to the PS4 2.0 update.

That's the same update that caused PS4 consoles to become stuck in rest mode and caused issues for the Evolve alpha. Sony released the 2.01 update to fix the rest mode problem, but it appears there are still problems in Dragon Age: Inquisition on the PS4.

Sony stated it will release a patch to fix the problem before the game's launch on Nov. 18. That patch appears to be system software update 2.02. Earlier today, Sony stated 2.02 had begun to roll out to improve software stability.

"While unfortunate timing, we worked with Sony since the issue was discovered and are committed to ensuring it does not impact players by launch," BioWare manager Aaryn Flynn said in a statement.

Source: GameSpot

Shouldn't affect too many people around here even if the patch doesn't fix everything day one. I imagine most active Escapists are going to wait for the all the reviews to come in before they considering getting back in the ring with Bioware/DA.

If this game manages to actually be competent it'll definitely offer a glimmer of hope for ME4.

So I guess I'll be waiting for a lot of "all clear" messages to appear before I boot this up then. I can wait for it, I'd rather wait than kill off my PS4.

Fixing the problem before it gets released to consumers? Wow, that reminds me of my childhood when there was no other option.

Lightknight:
Fixing the problem before it gets released to consumers? Wow, that reminds me of my childhood when there was no other option.

This is more true than it should be. I imagine how Bethesda and other companies that release buggy games would fare if patches weren't a thing? It also seems to make developers more likely to slap a done sticker on a game, just cause they can patch it up later on. While working on DLC and the like.

I was considering purchasing it for PS4, since my graphics card is right at the recommended line. But I most likely will be sticking with PC now. I can stand lower FPS for better graphics and I rather not have a game crashing on my PS4.

Good to know they're on top of the issue, but it doesn't really effect me; I'm used to having a long list of updates on Day 1, so as long as they do keep on top of it then I'll be satisfied.

Lightknight:

I also remember as a kid a number of great games that were horribly broken with no way of fixing said issue because there weren't patches. So not having the option could cripple a game that has issues that weren't caught by QA. Like it or not, having patches available has made gaming better because a company can go back and fix issues.

Lightknight:

Lol, man, I guess we are OLD now...
And rose tinted glasses blah blah not withstanding, testing before releasing game- or consolebreaking bugs was definitely a good thing that we now appear to lack.

Yoyfully looking to the future on these issues! :P

So there's this, AC Unity's technical problems, and Halo Master Chief's straight up busted-ass matchmaking. This is to say nothing of the multi-gigabyte day one patches that don't seem to fix anything. Or if they do, then I shudder to think what the un-patched product is like.

Next-gen gaming

Kenjitsuka:

Lightknight:

And rose tinted glasses blah blah not withstanding, testing before releasing game- or consolebreaking bugs was definitely a good thing that we now appear to lack.

Not that old games didn't have their issues, but it sure seems to me that QA was a lot more thorough in bygone days because it kinda had to be.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Lightknight:

I also remember as a kid a number of great games that were horribly broken with no way of fixing said issue because there weren't patches. So not having the option could cripple a game that has issues that weren't caught by QA. Like it or not, having patches available has made gaming better because a company can go back and fix issues.

"a number"? Sure, there were a few games that had bugs but it wasn't common to launch a broken game.

The vast sea of a majority of titles worked and still work. No problem. Companies were actually motivated to put out working titles because of that threat.

Now it's barely a threat unless it poses a significant danger to reviews. It isn't that they can't patch it up, it's that they aren't motivated to do so.

I understand that games like Skrim/Oblivion/Morrowind are basically works in progress meant to serve as basically a development engine for modders and everything. But at least their community delivers and only on the PC where I was always able to patch their games.

canadamus_prime:

Kenjitsuka:

Lightknight:

Not that old games didn't have their issues, but it sure seems to me that QA was a lot more thorough in bygone days because it kinda had to be.

There's also the issue of those older games having much less that could go wrong. It's easy to say that Q&A was better "back in the day", but the simple truth is that to have the shiny new graphics and physics and systems that make modern gaming, there are way more moving parts to get us there. That's way more to test, way more that could go wrong or be missed.

I don't particularly like patches, especially in console games where the hardware is always the same so there should be no need to account for individual setups. But I like modern gaming quite a bit, and patches have their benefits as well as their drawbacks.

canadamus_prime:

Kenjitsuka:

Lightknight:

That's FAR from the truth. It's just that the developers don't want to fix bugs found by the QA team anymore. If it doesn't affect gameplay in a severe way, the devs don't care about fixing it. Granted, as technology has progressed, it takes a LOT more time and effort to fix bugs, so it's a little understandable why the devs don't bother fixing most minor bugs these days. I mean, if they want to make the release date, they have to put game development over bug fixing. Still, I just hate it when the QA team is blamed for bugs when odds are, they found the bug and put it in the DB, but the devs chose not to fix it.

Fappy:
Shouldn't affect too many people around here even if the patch doesn't fix everything day one. I imagine most active Escapists are going to wait for the all the reviews to come in before they considering getting back in the ring with Bioware/DA.

If this game manages to actually be competent it'll definitely offer a glimmer of hope for ME4.

The good news is that reviews started going up today and they are pretty positive. Mostly in the 8/10 range with a lot of them saying that its back to the basic DA: Origins in terms of character interaction and such.

What sorcery is this?? No review embargo? An EA published game?? Right! Some internetting shall be done!!

Please have this fixed before next Tuesday. This is the game that is pushing me over the edge to get a PS4. It sounds like Skyrim's problems all over again though.

But, if it's not fixed, at least I'll have the PS3 version to play until they do fix it...what? Yes, I am getting two copies of the game. It started on the PS3, and it will end on the PS3.

Lightknight:
"a number"? Sure, there were a few games that had bugs but it wasn't common to launch a broken game.

The vast sea of a majority of titles worked and still work. No problem. Companies were actually motivated to put out working titles because of that threat.

Now it's barely a threat unless it poses a significant danger to reviews. It isn't that they can't patch it up, it's that they aren't motivated to do so.

I understand that games like Skrim/Oblivion/Morrowind are basically works in progress meant to serve as basically a development engine for modders and everything. But at least their community delivers and only on the PC where I was always able to patch their games.

While it may not have been common to launch a broken game it was also no more uncommon then it is now. The PC especially had a lot of extremely broken games. Bethesda especially has always released extremely broken games. Fallout 1 & 2 were barely even playable on release and had to have hundreds of bugs patched by fans and not developers. The only difference now is that they actually patch them.

ZZoMBiE13:

canadamus_prime:

Kenjitsuka:

There's also the issue of those older games having much less that could go wrong. It's easy to say that Q&A was better "back in the day", but the simple truth is that to have the shiny new graphics and physics and systems that make modern gaming, there are way more moving parts to get us there. That's way more to test, way more that could go wrong or be missed.

I don't particularly like patches, especially in console games where the hardware is always the same so there should be no need to account for individual setups. But I like modern gaming quite a bit, and patches have their benefits as well as their drawbacks.

That's a point too. Older games were less complex and thus had less for the QA department to test and less chance of them missing stuff. That being said, some of the stuff that is missed today one has to wonder how they missed it.

Yes I read this up when I was checking information on the patch before I installed it (best to be careful when it comes to Sony).

I'd be interested to know why Sony is the one patching it... seems odd.

Are we surprised that there are bugs in a beta? Really? Do you not understand the concept of beta?

Good thing I'm not getting the PS4 version until much later.

It's Sony that's messed up with update 2.00, not Bioware as far as I can tell, but bioware is the one getting all the blame.

spartan231490:
Are we surprised that there are bugs in a beta? Really? Do you not understand the concept of beta?

Apparently a lot better than you do - this isn't a beta, it's simply copies of the finished game that reviewers get access to slightly earlier. And even if that weren't the case, the problem is with the PS4 OS, not the game which is why it's the former that is getting fixed.

Little Gray:

Lightknight:

While it may not have been common to launch a broken game it was also no more uncommon then it is now. The PC especially had a lot of extremely broken games. Bethesda especially has always released extremely broken games. Fallout 1 & 2 were barely even playable on release and had to have hundreds of bugs patched by fans and not developers. The only difference now is that they actually patch them.

Do you have some numbers to back up your claim rather than anecdotal stuff? From what I've seen I almost never played a single broken game on a console. I think there was one final fantasy game on the gameboy that had an issue and that was about it.

The PC appears to have always had that problem so if you were PC only then I'd understand.

Lightknight:

Eh, to be fair, you can't forsee every issue a game design might have in the market. So it had a bug, nothing's perfect. At least they are quickly responding to the problem and fixing it. The fact that it seems to be a PS4 exclusive problem suggests that it was some unforseen issue with the platform architecture, that slipped through during testing. Which is always possible. I'm just glad to hear they're fixing it quickly.

Lightknight:

Little Gray:
[quote="Lightknight" post="7.864943.21603058"]snip

Do you have some numbers to back up your claim rather than anecdotal stuff? From what I've seen I almost never played a single broken game on a console.

The PC appears to have always had that problem so if you were PC only then I'd understand.

To be fair, what you just said in bold was as much an anecdotal statement as his claim above. xD

Happyninja42:

Lightknight:

Eh, to be fair, you can't forsee every issue a game design might have in the market. So it had a bug, nothing's perfect. At least they are quickly responding to the problem and fixing it. The fact that it seems to be a PS4 exclusive problem suggests that it was some unforseen issue with the platform architecture, that slipped through during testing. Which is always possible. I'm just glad to hear they're fixing it quickly.

Look, I've worked for years as a software QA engineer. You can't foresee every itsy bitsy low priority bug, sure. But if you can't foresee P1 and P0 issues then you're (royal "you" here) shit as QA. Garbage, in fact.

They test the game, write down the bugs, and the project manager determines the severity of the bugs. Every week or however long they come back to the table and review which bugs have been fixed, which bugs have been introduced/reintroduced as a result of the fixes, and which bugs are still outstanding.

The project manager then decides based on the established timeline whether or not the severity of the outstanding bugs warrants pushing back the launch date.

If they weren't aware of a p1 or p0 issue then there was a tremendous flaw in their QA process. If they were aware then they packaged the game knowing full well that the issue needed to be fixed before launch.

Lightknight:

Little Gray:
[quote="Lightknight" post="7.864943.21603058"]snip

Do you have some numbers to back up your claim rather than anecdotal stuff? From what I've seen I almost never played a single broken game on a console.

To be fair, what you just said in bold was as much an anecdotal statement as his claim above. xD

Sure, I was showing the relative nature of your anecdotal evidence by showing a contrary one.

The widespread belief is that games largely released working before there was no such thing as patching. Now patching broken games is practically standard.

So the burden of proof is on you to dispel the popularly held belief.

Dominic Crossman:
It's Sony that's messed up with update 2.00, not Bioware as far as I can tell, but bioware is the one getting all the blame.

That is how I am understanding the article as well, there wasn't the problems with the PS4 version until Sony released patch 2.0. To me that means Sony screwed up by releasing faulty software. So "back in the day" there is a very good chance this wouldn't have happened because the version of the game BioWare would have made would not have to worry about a console developer releasing a broken patch to their console which has caused multiple reported issues.

I am expecting the patch to be mostly a system update and not a patch for the game itself.

Lightknight:

Sure, I was showing the relative nature of your anecdotal evidence by showing a contrary one.

The widespread belief is that games largely released working before there was no such thing as patching. Now patching broken games is practically standard.

So the burden of proof is on you to dispel the popularly held belief.

It wasn't my anecdotal evidence, it was the other posters, hence my use of the pronoun his not mine. I think that might be a slipup during my quote trimming if it appeared to be by the other poster.

Hope it will be fixed by launch but i think i'll delay ordering this anyway, pending results. Still and all the game looks good and worth waiting for.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here