Ubisoft Stock Price Drops After Assassin's Creed: Unity Launch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Stock Price Drops After Assassin's Creed: Unity Launch

AC Unity Heist Image

When a new game has a poor launch, the finance sector takes notice.

The launch of Assassin's Creed: Unity has been anything but smooth for Ubisoft, and the company's stock price today certainly reflects as much.

Ubisoft has several stock listings, but its primary listing is on the Euronext exchange based in Paris. That listing, which is closed for the day, closed down at €13.27 (or USD $16.49), down 9.33 percent from its opening price. The publisher's Nasdaq listing closed at USD $3.29, a similar drop of 9.12 percent.

The stock drop is attributed to AC: Unity's less-than-polished launch, as the multi-platform action-adventure title has more than its fair share of bugs (sister site Game Front's review of Unity confirms as much). The Xbox One version current has a Metacritic score of 76 (PS4 sits at 81), while searching "Assassin's Creed Unity bugs" on YouTube already yields about 26,700 results.

"Ubisoft would have been better off to delay Unity like Take-Two does frequently with their Grand Theft Auto games than to release it in this state," according to a recent Yahoo! Fiance report. "The market has noticed the poor response today and punished the company for it."

This isn't the first time a less-than-optimal game launch has had an immediate impact on stock price. EA's stock dropped six percent after the launch of Battlefield 4, a game riddled with bugs and glitches for months after launch.

The light at the end of the tunnel for Ubisoft? Far Cry 4 is being released later this month, and a strong (and hopefully less bug-filled) release could help Ubisoft's stock rebound before the holidays.

Sources: Yahoo! Fiance | VG247

Hat Tip: Kevin Dent

Good. The idea of shitting out a game year after year is so stupid to me. Take your time to make a great game instead of pumping these things out to milk the fuck out of the franchise.

Black Flag was good, too. What the hell happened here?

I don't know if it's me but Unity overall just seems very uninterresting. And i have played a lot of Assassins creed games and liked most of them.
But maybe that's the problem.
Assassins Creed 2 was so good because it took all the things that the predecessor had and made them work just so much better.
Brotherhood added some nice and unique mechanics with managing the Brotherhood, even though it made things even easier than they allready were.
Revelations was pretty bad because it added nothing new and interesting and i think after all these games some people have just grown a bit tires of doing the same thing over and over again in these games.
And while 3 added some nice things like the naval battles, they were not important enough in that game to make it good.
Black Flag really focussed on that naval stuff and was pretty damn awesome and one of my, if not the favourite ac game mainly because it felt so fresh for a AC game.
But now we have Unity and what does it have?
- More Npc's
- Smoother climbing
- Better stealth
- More challenging combat
And while all that's nice there's just nothing there that pops out, nothing that really convinces me that this game is awesome. Exspecially since Unity also removed some Features from the last game like naval combat and co.

It's almost refreshing to see "company releases shoddy product, doesn't sell well" when the status quo seems to be "company releases shoddy product, sells anyway".

Money talks in more than one way.

If they won't listen to their customers\consumers maybe they'll listen when the rest of the world takes note of their bullshit and absolute atrocity of a game launch.

Quality over quantity.

It's been a long time coming. EA and Actervision will suffer the same and these companies will have to shape up or end like THQ. You're not immune to this Ubisoft

Devin Connors:

The stock drop is attributed to AC: Unity's less-than-polished launched

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't it just be "launch?"

OT: I'm glad to see the "safe" games suffering from sales issues. I just wish it was less over technical glitches at launch and more over the games just not being that interesting anymore.

But as I have friends who will buy the game and tell me how AWESOME it is, I guess that won't happen fast.

*3 weeks from now*
Ubi: Assassins Creed: Unity has exceeded our expectations, we're glad to bring fresh new ideas to our franchises and we think the loyalty of our fan base reflects that.
<_<
>_>
*3 months from now*
Ubi: Assassins Creed: Unity had it's fair share of problems, we didn't handle the release as well as we should have but we're planning to make it up to our loyal fan base with the new installment Assassins Creed: Retribution/Revolution/Reloaded/Re-skinned/Full-wheat.
<_<
>_>
*3 years from now*
Ubi: What the hell's Assassins Creed?
<_<
>_>

This will be the first AC console game that I won't buy.

I like stealth games. The early AC games gave me that. I like naval tactics games. The later AC games gave me that.

The preview for this is a team of four guys assaulting a fort. The "assassination target" sees them coming and has plenty of time to go for his weapons. I want my AC games to be a single person taking down targets who don't suspect a thing until they are already bleeding out. Nothing about this new one looks interesting to me. It looks more like CoD:Paris 1795 than anything related to stealth or assassination.

This is what happens when you take the cake out of the oven before its done.

Maybe now Ubisoft will stop with the yearly dev cycles for AssCreed.

This just proves what a lot of financial experts say: The stock market is far to volatile as a primary investment route. It's idiotic that this is news because this is actually not uncommon for publicly traded companies. I know what people want this to be, they want it to be proof that Ubisofts business policies are finally failing. It's not that though, so people shouldn't get all up in arms about it because this doesn't in any way indicate that.

Good, let them suffer. And if it also turns out that you have to use a mobile App to open in-game chests then I hope the ditch they die in is filled with glass and lemon juice. God only knows that a $75 game needs to have freemium elements in it [/sarcasm and ridicule]

Just looked at scores of unity (current gen ac) and rouge (last gen ac) and while professional reviewers are giving them roughly equal scores, user reviews of rouge are about 2/3 higher than unity on average (outta 10).

I don't really have point to this it just amused is all.

Heard positive things from some of my colonial friends on this game, so I guess all I can do is make this judgement call myself. Battlefield 4 launched in a poor state, but I still played the ever loving shit out of that...and still am.

Roll on Friday I guess.

Sounds like their stock prices are dropping like the framerate in AC Unity :)

Put more effort into your games you lazy fucks.

My laughter will be the hardest, yet bitter laughter; if Far Cry 4 is mysteriously delayed.

Brian Tams:

They won't. Why? Because the kind of people in charge of game companies are not self-aware enough for that.

TallanKhan:
It's almost refreshing to see "company releases shoddy product, doesn't sell well" when the status quo seems to be "company releases shoddy product, sells anyway".

This doesn't have anything to do with sales of AC: unity it's too do with it's reception and brand damage to the AC series which is Ubisoft's biggest franchise with Just Dance's sales collapse following the end of the Wii's life cycle

" Far Cry 4 is being released later this month, and a strong (and hopefully less bug-filled) release could help Ubisoft's stock rebound before the holidays."

Holy shit, FC4 already THIS month?!!! :D
But... I do suspect either a delay or loads of bugs in that case. Zero faith in Ubi, as they've trampled it a bit too often.

Kenjitsuka:
" Far Cry 4 is being released later this month, and a strong (and hopefully less bug-filled) release could help Ubisoft's stock rebound before the holidays."

Holy shit, FC4 already THIS month?!!! :D
But... I do suspect either a delay or loads of bugs in that case. Zero faith in Ubi, as they've trampled it a bit too often.

Yeap, the 18th as i have been eyeing the calander like the malnutritioned wazzle that i am. Not pre ordering annnnything. Hopefully, mountains and imaginary tigers are easier to render than French architecture.

It's hard for me to dance at the news. Everything I've read suggests that a ton of work went into the game; far from implications of the "ship one out a year" expectaions, work has been going on Unity for several years.

As far as the bugs, sure, they're guilty as sin. God knows a company like Ubi should know better by now. But the frame-rate issues seem to be par for the course these days. The fact that the PS4 and XB1 are both basically PCs suggests to me, uncomfortably, that there isn't some glorious unexplored "wiggle room" that means games are going to be properly optimized in a few years and all the development troubles we're seeing now are just going to go away. I think we're in for problems like this for the long haul... And I'm not at all sure that another generation is going to help things either, so long as manufacturers are fenced in by the price point they can deliver consoles at, even at a loss.

And much as I like PC gaming, I don't think that at this point PC gaming alone is going to float the development of AAA titles, barring an unprecedented market shift. All the free-to-play style microtransaction price gouging we're seeing right now is the symptom of a market that's already straining.

More immediately (and a little less depressingly), I think this is going to put the kibbosh on a fair number of people's decisions to buy Far Cry 4 as either a pre-order or right out of the gate. It's just become that much more important to be sure Ubi has actually done its bug-testing before commitment.

Aiddon:

Brian Tams:

They won't. Why? Because the kind of people in charge of game companies are not self-aware enough for that.

Really? My impression was that the kind of people in charge of game companies approach things from a financial perspective; they care less about what they're selling than how much they're making. So if anything, I'd expect this to actually cause more stirrings than usual. Whether anything will actually happen is anyone's guess, but I'd imagine higher-ups would pay more attention to this than "oh, some gamers are whining about something we did again".

Personally, what I'm more curious about is whether or not this is going to affect sales by a significant margin. With the holiday season on the way and Unity being only on next-gen consoles, I'd assume Ubisoft was expecting a steady flow of income as people pick up consoles for the holiday season and get games with them, so I imagine this backlash will hit them harder than backlash usually does.

Look, I'm not saying everything needs to harken back to Gamergate, but look at the state this game is in! Glitches, unfinished designs and textures, poor gameplay, etc...
And the user reviews are terrible, calling it the last nail in the coffin that has become Ubisoft. Youtube videos out the ass on glitches, articles in Times, Yahoo, etc...pointing out how terrible the game is and how ashamed Ubisoft should be for releasing in this state.

Now go read the official site reviews:
Game Informer: 8/10
Xbox Magazine: 8/10
Metacritic: 80/100(PS4) 76/100(Xbone)
IGN: 7.8/10
Destructoid: 7/10
Eurogamer: 7/10

I'm sorry, but when I hear about a game as bad as Unity, I don't picture it an 8/10. That's great, just so you know. 8/10 means the game is fucking great! Even a 7/10 is decent. Top 30% of games. Yes, we all know game critics are bought and paid for, yadda yadda, but still! Absurd!

Strange days indeed when 76% is seen as shit. 76% in most things is classed as good - very good; but with the over-inflation of reviews and every second game getting 90%+ people hit the panic button if something sits around 80%.

My favorite part of this whole debacle, this interview from December of 2013:

""If we think we've ended up with a 70 percent Assassin's Creed game, we're not going to ship it," Detoc told IGN. "That damages the brand. I'm not going to give you the names of products, because you know them as well as I do, but if you start to make games at 70 percent, even with a big brand, eventually people are going to change their mind about that brand."

Xbox One version sitting in the 70s...

"Speaking to IGN in a conversation about delays, Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc said that Ubisoft would break Assassin's Creed's annualized schedule by delaying a game "if it's not good enough." "

You heard it here, folks. Unity is "good enough" to ship.

Straight from Ubisoft's mouth.

Belaam:

I like stealth games. The early AC games gave me that. I like naval tactics games. The later AC games gave me that.

The preview for this is a team of four guys assaulting a fort. The "assassination target" sees them coming and has plenty of time to go for his weapons. I want my AC games to be a single person taking down targets who don't suspect a thing until they are already bleeding out. Nothing about this new one looks interesting to me. It looks more like CoD:Paris 1795 than anything related to stealth or assassination.

It's funny that Creed is meant to be about Stealth assassinations yet for the majority of the series it;s hardly been stealthy like wearing the most glaring outfits for instance and the way we fall from high places into perfectly placed bails of hay and coming out unscathed with no one noticing someone just took a huge dive, not even the guards nearby notice with Creed AI being generally thick as champ.

I started replaying Far Cry 3 a few days ago and I'm close to completing it and I realised something, you get rewarded more XP for taking down outposts for using stealth and true to that I do via using a silenced sniper rifle, a bow and my knife and I've found it far more rewarding to successfully take out each outpost with precision and quite tactics, sure I can make a mistake and they notice me but I'm always a step ahead with taking out their alarms before I even approach their base and always leave their caged animals until the last moment to be sprung, take advantage of the chaos and stab them all in the back, In Creed once I get spotted I've either got to run away or fight one on one, it feels so static and boring at times when that happens but at least in FC3 I get rewarded for doing stealth well and if not I still have the option to go all Rambo on their asses so that's something.

I still find other games like Styx to be more stealthier than Creed will ever be, I think ubi just don't care about the series being about stealth yet they keep telling us we're secret assassins taking our targets out with stealth when we always stick out like sore thumbs and use the most obvious of methods and half aren't even stealthy at all.

Shadow-Phoenix:

I started replaying Far Cry 3 ... taking down outposts for using stealth and true to that I do via using a silenced sniper rifle, a bow and my knife and I've found it far more rewarding to successfully take out each outpost with precision and quiet tactics,

Exactly! It's extremely odd that what I would probably initially describe as an FPS has far better and enjoyable stealth to it than what is nominally a stealth game.

And now I am going to go home and fire up Far Cry 3 again. :D

It runs fine for me on PC, but then again I have a high-end machine. Blame it on the new engine and inexperience with the new consoles. Not that that excuses anything. I think what we're really seeing here is "revenge reviewing," where people bash the game because of the perceived sleight of the review embargo. Yet another example of how attempting to control press results in a backlash.

Pop quiz time. How will Ubisoft respond?

A. Issue an apology for the bugs and promise to make things right?

or B. Declare all the criticism to be the work of entitled white males and tell them all to die?

Grampy_bone:
It runs fine for me on PC, but then again I have a high-end machine. Blame it on the new engine and inexperience with the new consoles. Not that that excuses anything. I think what we're really seeing here is "revenge reviewing," where people bash the game because of the perceived sleight of the review embargo. Yet another example of how attempting to control press results in a backlash.

Pop quiz time. How will Ubisoft respond?

A. Issue an apology for the bugs and promise to make things right?

or B. Declare all the criticism to be the work of entitled white males and tell them all to die?

Explain to me how inexperience could have any factor on this? They've been coding PC versions of AC games for a while now. The new consoles literally have PC architecture. There's no inexperience there, just ineptitude.

On topic!

whelp, sucks for them I guess.

Though now it does amuse the hell out of me that this game that has caused Ubisofts stock prices to drop, is gettin shat on by gamers and some reviewers has a guaranteed spot into the Escapists Game of the Year vote. Meanwhile extraordinary games like Transistor and Wolf Among Us needed to be voted in.

Belaam:

Shadow-Phoenix:

I started replaying Far Cry 3 ... taking down outposts for using stealth and true to that I do via using a silenced sniper rifle, a bow and my knife and I've found it far more rewarding to successfully take out each outpost with precision and quiet tactics,

Exactly! It's extremely odd that what I would probably initially describe as an FPS has far better and enjoyable stealth to it than what is nominally a stealth game.

And now I am going to go home and fire up Far Cry 3 again. :D

Also I do it for this lovable guy =D.

But seriously I'm loving my stealth kills and general exploration of Far Cry 3's world than I would Creed III's.

There's some enjoyment in knowing everything is out to kill you in one way or another.

Belaam:

Not to say the game doesn't have plenty of issues, but this is actually one of the stronger if not the strongest AC title when it comes to stealth. If it didn't run like poo, it'd probably tie Black Flag for my favorite.

Hopefully they'll take note of this and stop being such shit-tier.

HAHAHAHA

Yeah we know they're on their way to going toe-to-toe with EA.

No! How could this happen? Stock prices drop?! It's almost like people's opinions matter! This cannot BE!

Okay, no more melodramatic sarcasm for me. I'm sticking to one or the other, not both.

damn, im still downloading this game and i hope for a smooth experience. at least i never had a single problem with any AC title on pc. not even liberation.
but nope, pc version is also having issues. i guess i will find out once its finished downloading how much frustration i will have.

GOOD!
They deserve to feel the burn by over hyping something they didn't have the energy, or desire, or even ability to finish.
I don't think anyone would have tried to kill themselves if they had to buy Unity in March, or even next fall when the game was actually finished.

2014 is the year of the 7/10.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or