ESA's Comet Landing Got More Twitter Love Than Kim Kardashian's Butt

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ESA's Comet Landing Got More Twitter Love Than Kim Kardashian's Butt

Kim Kardashian Shocked 310x

Celebrity doesn't always trump science, you know.

As reported earlier this week, the European Space Agency hit the latest (and greatest) milestone in its Rosetta probe mission. Launched in 2004, the probe made contact with the comet early Tuesday morning on the East Coast, as its Philae lander settled in on the speedy, ice-covered rock.

Also happening this week? Kim Kardashian posed nude for Paper Magazine (definitely NSFW), including a cover photo that is the focus of a "#breaktheinternet," social media campaign.

Kim's celebrity status, the catchy hashtag, and the unstoppable juggernaut that is celebrity-driven gossip media did bring this, um, cause plenty of attention...but science has indeed prevailed.

According to WSJ's Speakeasy blog and its Twitter data analysis, the ESA comet landing netted more tweets than Kardashian's derriere. The #cometlanding hashtag saw peak traffic of over 3,200 tweets per minute, with the zenith coming on November 12th around 11:30am ET. The #breaktheinternet tag on a similar timeline? A peak of 300 tweets per minute on Wednesday evening (8:30pm ET).

While the Internet-breaking campaign might have added longevity (since the comet landing has been completed), Peak Internet belongs to those who look up into the infinite beyond of outer space.

But I would be remiss if I didn't say this is my favorite Vine of all time (probably NSFW). And let's not forget when science does indeed meet celebrity (also probably NSFW). #breaktheinternet

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Huh...what do you know. Something genuinely interesting beats an obvious, desperate attempt to get attention. It's sad that even qualifies as news.

Who's Kim Kardashian, and why does anyone care about her?

So man kind does have a small hope for it then.

See the world's not so bad.

Scow2:

A worthless celebrity. Her dad was close friends with OJ Simpson. Then she did a sex tape and became famous overnight.

Well done humanity your not completely beyond redemption!

You don't break the internet (even if you have a big round butt); the internet breaks you. (Note to ISPs: this also applies to you.)

Though, while it is great a celebrity (read: attention whore, who managed too marry another attention whore) is overshadowed by something people across the world should really care about, I can't help but think that the real attention the photo shoot is getting is not on twitter, but on the sites and forums dealing in nude photos.

Scow2:

She's a Hobbit. Got her own movie of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_%28South_Park%29

Guess there is a God in this universe. It's comforting to know that a celebri-tard trying to keep her 15 minutes of fame alive for another 10 seconds got overshadowed by an actual newsworthy story with scientific merit.

BTW, that ass cannot be real IMO. Either its made by the miracle of plastic surgery, Photoshop, or she's the long-lost lovechild of Jessica Rabbit.

emanresu2:

Scow2:

She's a Hobbit. Got her own movie of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_%28South_Park%29

and her husband is a gay fish :)

Ah, nice to see common sense prevailing over attention-grabbing brain-dead Barbie doll-like morons. Humanity's not that far gone, it seems...

CrazyGirl17:
Ah, nice to see common sense prevailing over attention-grabbing brain-dead Barbie doll-like morons. Humanity's not that far gone, it seems...

I'm honestly surprised that gossip didn't beat science, pleasantly surprised. Looks like I should reduce my cynical levels of humanity a notch or 2. There may be hope for us yet.

Huh, well that's certainly interesting.

There's hope for you yet, humanity!

Great! I now hate humanity slightly less.

I am happy that more people are interested in probing a comet than Kardashian's butt.

Im an avid follower with "God" on facebook, complete with south park profile god pic, he is hilairious. There are some amusing pictures on topic that i would love to share if i knew how. Tee. Hee.

and yet this news article has more kim kardashian than the ESA probe. There really is no need to ever even mention her in anything but gossip magazines.

We aren't a lost cause. There is hope for us yet.

You forgot to mention the amount of hate it also got from feminists.

orangeapples:

Faith in humanity restored a little...

VanQ:

...and it's gone. Yep. There it goes.

VanQ:

You know, I usually try to remain neutral when these kind of things happen (not because I don't agree OR disagree with the topic, just because I can't be arsed to have a lengthy discussion with a stranger in the internet), but this is just complete bullshit. Harassing someone (let's not mention that, you know, he isn't your stereotypical brodude) because he wore a shirt you didn't like?
This is the kind of things why so many people believe the word "feminism" has negative connotations.

It's saddening that this was even a competition.

I just hope that it got more attention for the right reasons, i.e. the fact that it was a major scientific breakthrough as opposed to the outcry over the wardrobe choice of one of the scientists.

good, she doesn't deserve the attention.

wAriot:

You know, I usually try to remain neutral when these kind of things happen (not because I don't agree OR disagree with the topic, just because I can't be arsed to have a lengthy discussion with a stranger in the internet), but this is just complete bullshit. Harassing someone (let's not mention that, you know, he isn't your stereotypical brodude) because he wore a shirt you didn't like?
This is the kind of things why so many people believe the word "feminism" has negative connotations.

The Great JT:

orangeapples:

Faith in humanity restored a little...

VanQ:

...and it's gone. Yep. There it goes.

You wanna see the true irony behind all this? It's in the punchline...

Thanks for linking me to the nude photos of Kim Kardashian that I didn't know about, Escapist.

...not bad, by the way. A little plastic-looking, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hope in humanity went up a little... just a little.

VanQ:

... I ...What?

Wow.

I don't hate people. I truly don't. I may dislike what people stand for, or their opinions on things, or their actions, but the people themselves? No.

But these people...? God, they make it so hard to maintain that viewpoint. I hate what these people stand for.

They.....they made the man cry.

They made the scientist who helped land a fucking probe on a comet cry in an interview over a shirt which his female friend designed and gave to him for his birthday.

Sincerely. Fuck. Off.

VanQ:

Ah, Ok. I was wondering where so much hate for feminism came from. Thinking Anita just knew how to wind everyone up when it was easy to ignore her, but this is very very different. In fact, it's fucking shameful. I knew there were dickheads in every group, but God Dammit. These people have created this stereotype, haven't they?

I REALLY wish the science was the only reason this news beat Kim Kardashian...

VanQ:

Ok, I get that the punchline is meant more as an "oooh, burned" than a genuine argument, but the point it's making is still bullshit. There is no equivalency at all between the argument "A person who chooses to wear an unprofessional shirt in a massive media event shouldn't be surprised to be pulled up on it" and the argument "A woman who wears a short skirt in public shouldn't be surprised to be raped".

And him crying about it is kind of pathetic in my opinion. He should have just said "sorry, I should have considered whether this was appropriate" and been done. It *was* inappropriate and I don't think the people commenting on the fact were being unreasonable. It should never have turned into a shitstorm (it's not exactly a major issue) but "WTF was he thinking?" is a perfectly fair question.

Flatfrog:

Ok, I get that the punchline is meant more as an "oooh, burned" than a genuine argument, but the point it's making is still bullshit. There is no equivalency at all between the argument "A person who chooses to wear an unprofessional shirt in a massive media event shouldn't be surprised to be pulled up on it" and the argument "A woman who wears a short skirt in public shouldn't be surprised to be raped".

And him crying about it is kind of pathetic in my opinion. He should have just said "sorry, I should have considered whether this was appropriate" and been done. It *was* inappropriate and I don't think the people commenting on the fact were being unreasonable. It should never have turned into a shitstorm (it's not exactly a major issue) but "WTF was he thinking?" is a perfectly fair question.

What was he thinking? If I had to wager a guess, he was probably thinking about landing a billion dollars of tax payer money on a comet without fucking up and not about his shirt. He probably had it on for days or just didn't think when he put it on. He just performed what is arguably the most monumental step forward for man kind and science to date. I don't think he was thinking about his shirt. And I also highly doubt that he was trying to oppress women in the scientific community or prevent women from entering the scientific community when he wore his shirt given to him by his female friend.

Flatfrog:

VanQ:

What was he thinking?

Well presumably one of two things.

1: "Don't fuck up, don't fuck up, don't fuck up. If I fuck this up then I'm gonna be known as the guy who crashed a few million Euro's worth of Space probe when we're this close to landing on a comet." (while just going for the first shirt in the pile, while getting dressed in the morning)

2: "Hey, I got this shirt from my friend (the girlfriend of the guy who did his tattoos), and I want to show my appreciation for it, given she made it herself. I think I'll wear it for the landing event."

MrFalconfly:

What was he thinking?

Well presumably one of two things.

1: "Don't fuck up, don't fuck up, don't fuck up. If I fuck this up then I'm gonna be known as the guy who crashed a few million Euro's worth of Space probe when we're this close to landing on a comet." (while just going for the first shirt in the pile, while getting dressed in the morning)

2: "Hey, I got this shirt from my friend (the girlfriend of the guy who did his tattoos), and I want to show my appreciation for it, given she made it herself. I think I'll wear it for the landing event."

In the case of (1), that's fair enough on his part, but then shouldn't someone else there have suggested it wasn't really the best choice? But I don't believe it personally, I think (2) is the much more likely option. And in that case I still think that showed poor judgement. He must have been aware it would be a talking point, and I think he let the ESA down by drawing attention away from their collective achievement by upstaging the event with an obviously incongruous choice.

Incidentally:

VanQ:
I also highly doubt that he was trying to oppress women in the scientific community or prevent women from entering the scientific community when he wore his shirt given to him by his female friend.

I think it's a perfectly great shirt and I don't think it 'oppresses women', but I still think it was an obviously bad choice. Whether it was made by a woman is irrelevant, by the way, women are just as capable of sexism as men, but I wouldn't say the shirt is in itself sexist. However, to use an extreme analogy, I would think twice about wearing a swastika on a shirt in public, even if I happened to be given it by a Hindu who thought of it as a symbol of peace.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.