In Pictures: ESA's Rosetta Probe, Philae Lander, and Comet 67p

In Pictures: ESA's Rosetta Probe, Philae Lander, and Comet 67p

Rosetta Probe Selfie Comet67p 310x 2

The Rosetta probe took plenty of pictures as it approached Comet 67p for landing.

It's been a banner week for space exploration, as the European Space Agency brought its Rosetta probe and Philae lander into contact with Comet 67p. A moment over ten years in the making, Rosetta's achievement will go a long way in helping us understand the science behind comets, and could help answer some of our longest-standing questions about the known (and unknown) universe.

Not only do we have an incredible amount of scientific data and research to look forward to, but we also get some gorgeous photography out of the mission as well. The ESA has a Flickr account that is constantly being updated with photos from the Rosetta-Philae mission, and our gallery includes some of the first images from the probe as it approached its destination comet.

Some of the photos were taken about 5-10 miles from Comet 67p as Rosetta made its approach, and scanned the terrain to find a suitable landing zone for the Philae lander. There's also an image that charts the mission as its progressed, flybys and slingshots included.

Source: ESA (Flickr) | Twisted Sifter

Glad to see the first post in this thread is about the "actual issue" and not the massive human accomplishment :D

Haha, I know the point you're trying to make and the one I want to make are the same one. I'm glad at least that The Escapist seems to think the scientific feat is the one worth reporting on.

My wife and I were talking about this today and we were offended on two fronts

First, being decent human beings who understand the concept of proportionate response to perceived offense (Ahem, a t-shirt is not the root cause of girls not entering into STEM fields.)

Secondly, both being fans of (and owning quite a few pieces of) vintage rockabilly clothing, we were dismayed to find we were contributing to the oppression of women in engineering and medicine (our careers).

If you really want to have your heart broken about the whole thing, do some sleuthing and find his friends Facebook page (It's not that hard, but I'm not going to direct link it for reasons). She's absolutely gutted and upset about this and I don't blame her. It was a cruel and senseless act of bullying perpetrated by a cynical media to stir up moral outrage for the sake of a few measly dollars worth of ad revenue.

That being said, Philae looks like it's in trouble. It's losing power right now and might not be able to get back up right. If it ultimately fails, I hope Dr. Taylor rolls up his sleeves (and shows off his awesome tattoos) and gets right back to it. We need guys like him to both literally and metaphorically lift us out of the gutter.

Amazing. Simply amazing. That's what always fascinated me about spaceflight: a chance to see alien worlds from the surface.

I suppose the Kerbal Space Program team will now have reference shots to make their procedural asteroids more realistic and exciting.

No snark on this one. This is one of the most amazing things I've seen.

Are the pictures in black and white? It looks like they are based on the ones where part of the craft is in the shot, but not 100% sure.

Got to say, didn't expect to see what appears to be loose rocks on the surface, very interesting.

As for the unfortunate topic of wearing a shirt featuring drawings of women, I've never understood the thought process behind "association with sexualised characters means you only view women as objects" thing. And no, it's not just because it doesn't happen to men: I don't know how many times I've seen girls walking around with things featuring pictures of pretty much naked (and real) men. Heck I used to know someone who used a Hollister bag featuring such a picture as her school bag. Never felt offended or the need to complain.

I think the shirt is awesome. I want one too.

As for the probe. Impressive work despite some setbacks and really interesting images.

Just FYI to everyone here, women can be just as sexist as men. Just because a woman made the shirt doesn't automatically mean it wasn't sexist.

I'm only going to say this once: Shut up about the damn shirt. Nobody with their head screwed on right gives a fuck about the shirt. IT'S JUST. A GODDAMN. SHIRT.

Now, on to things that are actually worth discussion: Holy crap, we landed on a comet. I can't wait until it gets closer to the sun, I'll bet the tail will look so cool from the inside. I wonder how the surface will react; the ice on the surface might simply sublimate, but maybe we'll get to see some cryovulcanism up close. That would be awesome.

*reads certain asinine comments* What the fuck people?

OT: This is an awesome accomplishment, too bad it had landing issues and the mission might be over tomorrow since the probe is in the shadows of a cliff and not getting enough solar power to continue. Hopefully they can fix it but the outcome seems unlikely (thanks magic 8-ball). Still what we have got from it is beautiful and bad-ass. It gives me hope for the future even if I won't be around for it, it makes me happy that my kid and potential grandkids will be around to see even more awesomeness provided we don't devolve into a dark age of idiocy... which judging by some of what I've read is a real and present danger.

i came here to see comments about the comet landing and what i got was the shirt stuff. what the fuck people? who cares about some shirt a scinetist wore. [sees a list of links on first post] Ah, so gutter press that is known for made up stories cares.

OT: I wonder why the photos are in black and white. is it because its easier to beam them down to earth (takes less data) or some other reason? also the comet looks pretty cool for a rock, but its still kinda looks like just a rock. hopefully we find something interesting on it and its not going to turn into another moon "meh too boring to go there"

Is it weird that when I die, this is where I want to spend my last moments? I mean to just be able to stand on top of this thing, looking out into space and drift away seems to me like the most serene inspiring places I can imagine. Truly amazing.

I have absolutely no reason to ever be in space exploration, what if a program just needed a "test monkey" for a no return flight, I would go

XenoScifi:
Is it weird that when I die, this is where I want to spend my last moments? I mean to just be able to stand on top of this thing, looking out into space and drift away seems to me like the most serene inspiring places I can imagine. Truly amazing.

I have absolutely no reason to ever be in space exploration, what if a program just needed a "test monkey" for a no return flight, I would go

I don't think you'll be able to stand on its surface, the gravity's too low. The space probe had difficulty landing on the comet for that exact reason.

Also I don't think sending a suicidal person on a one-way trip into space is a good idea. The world won't shut up about Laika, I doubt anyone in charge would dare do this again with a human.

This is awesome! Congrats to the ESA, I can't wait to hear about the discoveries they make.

It kinda reminds me of when NASA's probe NEAR Shoemaker landed successfully on an asteroid back in 2001. Though, with NEAR Shoemaker they just decided it would be a great send off for the probe after it's mission was complete to land on Eros (it wasn't made for that), it wasn't like this where that was the objective.

WTF is all this about a shirt? ::looks:: Oh. I actually kinda like that, it looks...interesting.

Every image is mesmerizingly beautiful. I literally got chills looking at them when they first started rolling in. (prior to this news post) I can't wait to see what the probe(s) reveal over the course of the mission.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm sorry, what was that? What about Dr. Taylor's shirt? It's sexist?

You know what? I thought it was kind of cool. Tacky for the occasion, maybe, but that's about it.

Now grow the hell up, stop griping about asinine bullshit, and learn to appreciate the magnitude of this incredible scientific achievement.

Fuckin' Twitter, Tumblr, and gutter-trash news agencies... Is there nothing they don't ruin?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.