Check Out These Rejected Sonic Boom Sonic And Eggman Redesigns

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Check Out These Rejected Sonic Boom Sonic And Eggman Redesigns

Have a look at some of the radical Sonic redesigns that were rejected for Sega's recently launched Sonic Boom.

So while we can all agree that Sonic Boom was pretty awful, we should applaud it (if only a little) for trying something a little different, and slightly changing up the design (for better or worse) of the hedgehog and his pals. But now, concept art of rejected Sonic redesigns reveal that we could have had an even more radically different-looking Sonic in the new game.

NeoGAF posted the following images (via Sonic Boom artist Craig Harris' Facebook) which show Sonic in ways we've never seen him before. There's a much more abstract, streamlined Sonic, a Sonic that resembles something from a Disney movie, and even a Sonic that looks like an actual hedgehog. Check em out:

But all of these redesigns, while indeed quite different, are still, undeniably, Sonic. The Dr. Eggman (or Robotnik) rejected redesigns, on the other hand, completely eschew the doctor's iconic egg-shape in favor of a skinny, dorky, beanpole.

So could these substantially different redesigns have saved Sonic Boom? Probably not, but it would have been nice to see Sega doing something new for once...

Source: NeoGAF

Some of them look like as if Disney reimagined them. I'd actually be interested in the game if they did a redesign like that. I mean, it's not like it hasn't been done before; Toon Link was such a drastic change from the norm.

Not gonna lie, I was never into Sonic's esthetic so I really dig some of these.

Signa:
Some of them look like as if Disney reimagined them. I'd actually be interested in the game if they did a redesign like that. I mean, it's not like it hasn't been done before; Toon Link was such a drastic change from the norm.

But the redesigns remind me less of Mickey Mouse.... Well except for 4/4 which looks like a cross between Mickey Mouse, Sonic, & Quack Pack.... Then 3/4 kind of reminds me of Mulan.... And 1/4 reminded me of Bonkers.... I didn't pay attention to 2/4 or the other sketches that weren't colored in.

eh ... the new designs aren't the problem, it's, as I understand, the fact the game is buggy and broken, and fairly dull to boot.

Probably a good call Sega went with designs that looked more like their original counterparts.

The designs that she Sonic wearing actual clothes were interesting though.

Personally I like those designs way better than what they went with. It actually makes Sonic look like not-a-douche.

Wait wait wait what? Sonic could have had a full explorer getup? Fully clothed? And they didn't? Damn I am disappointed.

My mouth is literally hanging open in utter terror. No. No. No. I'm going to go get some brain bleach and apologize to my childhood for ever seeing that.

I actually think the modern post-Sonic Adventure character designs are pretty awful, and I say this as a huge fan of the games themselves. I definitely see where they're coming from here, and I actually like some of the designs.

The last Sonic design (fully clothed) in particular is pretty cool, and not that much of a departure from how sonic looked in the original Genesis games. Also kind of makes me want to see 2D Sonic game done in hand-drawn animation, a la Rayman Legends.

some of those are actually quite lovely. like this one. I'm loving this one:

I don't get all the anger for the Sonic redesign, for the busted game? Yes. But Sonic since his concept on a napkin to Sonic Generations has changed a lot.

A scarf, wraps and a few loose spines is totally out of the question. Honestly Knuckle's redesign ...minus the fingers I felt was a long time coming. Sonic was made more sleek and tall, why shouldn't Knuckles have been made more powerful looking and strong? Bit tall yeah but eh it looked neat, made him stand out.

Amy hasn't been remotely the same looking after her first game, after Sonic CD it was a wild left turn and to those who didn't know would think they were different.

Lunar Templar:
eh ... the new designs aren't the problem, it's, as I understand, the fact the game is buggy and broken, and fairly dull to boot.

Yeah, I watched some playsthroughs on YouTube and it's just a bunch of random game mechanics jumbled together. One minute you're quickly running on a path dodging obstacles, the next you're meticulously exploring a 3D environment, then there's a 2D platforming section switching between the characters, then it's interrupted with brawling sections. None of these are at all polished, they all looked like they could have each been taken from a cheap $10 Xbox Live arcade title.

Then there's the dreadful characterization where they're all stock archetypes at the most basic level. Sonic is the cool guy, Tails is the nerd, Knuckes is the dumb jock, and Amy is the... girl.

Redesigning the characters will not make it a better game. The perfect thing I can counter-compare Sonic to is Megaman

Megaman- "Hey, people like this game, lets throw some redesigns in along the way while not changing what people love about it."

Sonic- "Hey, people like this game...lets change almost everything and keep the characters the same...what?...That, that didnt work?...Oh ok, the problem isnt with the game, its with the character design! Oi Jim, redesign the Sonic characters!" "Ok boss....uhm, what if I add a scarf...some goggles...maybe a hammer" "...fucking brilliant, Jim."

Not Lord Atkin:
some of those are actually quite lovely. like this one. I'm loving this one:

Yeah, I second this. That's a legit redesign for Sonic if I have ever seen one.

Steven Bogos:
So could these substantially different redesigns have saved Sonic Boom? Probably not, but it would have been nice to see Sega doing something new for once...

You can say many things about sonic games past sonic 3 but not that they don't try enough new things.

They really should've just saved themselves the trouble and rejected Sonic Boom in its entirety.

Robotnik designs are terrible and he should be left alone because his original design is pretty solid. The Sonic redesigns, I like them. Not all of them are great, but a new look for him would have been cool.

While there have been subtle changes the look of Sonic and the rest of the characters was rock solid which has helped them endure for so long. I'm not going to go purist zealot and say that any change is necessarily bad I personally found the Boom iterations to be kinda bleh. When I think about speed running the fist thing to come to mind isn't exactly scarves and bandages wrapped around shoes. With Knux they went overboard with the body structure and making him dumb as a rock just makes me facepalm every time. Tails and Amy are fine I guess but nothing special. Never watched the show and probably never will, it's clearly not for me so no point in subjecting myself to it.

Brian Tams:
They really should've just saved themselves the trouble and rejected Sonic Boom in its entirety.

But then we wouldn't have gotten the decent show. :P
At least the show is good, but the plot of the game and it's connection to the show can best be summarized with this sentence:
"Here's the story of how Dr. Eggman got the bracelet he uses in the show. The End."
That's it, that is literally the only thing that connects the game to the show, and it's probably because of the fact that the game's original producer left the company last year.

The problem here is that those re-imagined Sonic pics think Sonic was supposed to have 2 distinct eye balls. There wasn't enough emphasis here on the bounce pads.

He'll forever be Dr Robotnik to me, I'm afraid.

Story:
Not gonna lie, I was never into Sonic's esthetic so I really dig some of these.

They'd be fine as a cartoon but they're a huge departure of what made sonic recognizable.

The superfluous bandages are soo 90s that I like them in the new design though :P

I'd prefer some of those designs if only because Sonic would finally have two separate eyes rather than one, gross, large eye with two pupils...

"kill... me..."

boy some of these designs are absolutely awful

Snotnarok:
But Sonic since his concept on a napkin to Sonic Generations has changed a lot.

You either need to get your eyes checked, or you linked the wrong image, because every Sonic on that collage you posted has the exact same design.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Snotnarok:

You either need to get your eyes checked, or you linked the wrong image, because every Sonic on that collage you posted has the exact same design.

That was my thought as well, but I just went back and looked, and it looks like he changed his shoes a few times.

Signa:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Snotnarok:

That was my thought as well, but I just went back and looked, and it looks like he changed his shoes a few times.

Yeah, a few of 'em. Notably they're all the ones where he has those goggles and a snowboard, so they're all probably from that Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics game (whatever it was called). Otherwise the rest are the same red shoes with a white stripe and yellow buckle, with a couple of them having a slightly different shape to the shoes.

Still though, I'm hoping that when he said Sonic "has changed a lot", he was referring to more than just his shoes. That would just smack of Smithers yelling "But she's got a new hat!"

Edit: And I'll note that I'm not saying that he's wrong, as I haven't paid enough attention to Sonic as a franchise to really know if he's ever had any major changes to his character design. I was just pointing out that the image used as evidence wasn't exactly convincing. I'll also note that I don't have any problem with them changing Sonic's look; just that the way that the characters look in Sonic Boom is (IMO, granted) terrible. By all means they can experiment (and some of those rejected images would have been rather interesting to see), but I still reserve the right to decide if the new design is better or worse than what they had before.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Snotnarok:

So black eyes to green eyes, short to tall, round to thin, mouth positioning, different shoes, shades, taller again, longer spines, even longer spines, shorter spines, then made shorter with thicker limbs, different rendering styles, is the exact same design?

This guy looks identical

to this?

Whatever you think then.

Edit:

Sonic nor his friends have ever seen a redesign till Sonic Boom. Fact:

Snotnarok:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Snotnarok:

So black eyes to green eyes, short to tall, round to thin, mouth positioning, different shoes, shades, taller again, longer spines, even longer spines, shorter spines, then made shorter with thicker limbs, different rendering styles, is the exact same design?

This guy looks identical

(( Image Snipped ))

to this?

(( Image Snipped ))

Whatever you think then.

Identical? No. Same design? Yes. Different style does not mean different design.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Snotnarok:

WhiteTigerShiro:

This guy looks identical

(( Image Snipped ))

to this?

(( Image Snipped ))

Whatever you think then.

Identical? No. Same design? Yes. Different style does not mean different design.

Longer legs, longer thicker spines, big green eyes, mouth has been in the middle or on the side from game to game, smaller & thinner belly, bigger head, bigger hands, that's not a change in just art style, that's a change in proportions & design, the rendering in adventure with shines and stuff, that's style.

With the new design the biggest thing to note is Sonics arms are blue, other than that he has bed head, wraps and a scarf. That's like saying him posing in Santa outfits is a drastic change of design.

Well whatever, art's subjective so like I said, think whatcha want. I don't really think it's something that needs debating but I think the redesign people are overreacting, especially since SEGA came out and admitted this is a side thing and isn't part of the series. So I don't think we'll see Sonic Team making a game like this.

I'm fairly convinced that Sonic has survived this long solely based on his design. Why would you change the one great thing about him?

Eh, not really. There

Snotnarok:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Snotnarok:

This guy looks identical

to this?

Whatever you think then.

It's all just tweaks here and there dude. I'm not saying they look identical, but the only dramatic alteration I see is his torso, the rest is stuff that most people wouldn't even pick up on if you didn't compare them side by side and point it out. For example I didn't notice his eye color.

I'd also say his appearance in game has changed less than in his cartoon drawings, for example he's always had longer legs and a smaller torso in the actual games.

I have a bias dislike for Sonic (Something about his design makes me want to punch him) but some of these look pretty good. I might've been more interested in Sonic if he looked like that last pic.

Not digging those Eggman designs, though.

Eggman's redesign would've rendered his nickname moot.

Johnny Novgorod:
Eggman's redesign would've rendered his nickname moot.

It wont! Just have him say egg puns. :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or