Ex-LucasArts Legends Announce New "Old-School" Adventure Game

Ex-LucasArts Legends Announce New "Old-School" Adventure Game

The minds behind Manic Mansion and Monkey Island have just announced Thmimbleweed Park, new, "old-school" adventure game.

Do you ever think to yourself that there aren't enough classic adventure games like Manic Mansion and Monkey Island anymore? Do you think it would be awesome if someone made a new adventure game in the vein of those old-school classics, with the same deliciously retro pixel art? Well, my friend, today is your lucky day. Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, the masterminds behind Manic Mansion - one of the greatest adventure games of all time, and responsible for kicking off LucasArt's legacy as an adventure game dev - have announced plans to do just that.

Thimbleweed Park is a new, "old-school" adventure game from the legendary programming/artist duo, that is being made in the exact same format and art style as all those classic LucasArts adventures you grew up with.

It's like opening a dusty old desk drawer and finding an undiscovered LucasArts adventure game you've never played before.

"Thimbleweed Park is the curious story of two washed up detectives called in to investigate a dead body found in the river just outside of town. It's a game where you switch between five playable characters while uncovering the dark, satirical and bizarre world of Thimbleweed Park," says the game's Kickstarter page.

The pair are hoping to raise $375,000 to make their game, and at time of writing have already hit $89,000. No stretch goals have been announced as of yet, but the rewards tiers range from a simple digital copy of the game on release ($20), to having one of the supporting characters in the game named after you, and based on your likeness ($5,000). So far, the game has only been confirmed for PC release.

They are hoping the game will be finished by June, 2016 (provided they raise all the money needed, of course). I must say, as a die-hard point & click fan, this game looks absolutely amazing, and you should all throw your money at Ron and Gary as quickly as you can. I'll leave you with some amazing screenshots from the game in progress to help convince you:

Source: Kickstarter

Oh goodie, I was fed up with all these modern games where the solutions make logical sense. (Search your feelings. You know me to be right.)

Queen Michael:
Oh goodie, I was fed up with all these modern games where the solutions make logical sense. (Search your feelings. You know me to be right.)

But how else are supposed to play the drinking game of "WTF IS THAT AND HOW DOES IT WORK LIKE THAT"? We've played all the old-school adventure games so much that we have a book of tallies of drinks you need to play it through.

Y'know, I played the original Maniac Mansion. Also Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. I wouldn't be averse to seeing something in the style again.

...But I have to imagine that after Broken Age, there may be a fair number of people hanging on to their wallets.

(Yes, I know that was Schafer, but nostalgia-wise, they're aiming for a nearly identical audience.)

I'd totally forgotten about Zak McKraken. Ah, Memories......

......that game was wierd.....even by Lucasarts(sorry, Lucasfilm Games) standards.

Also, does it come with a hint book? Because I have a feeling I'm gonna be running to it a lot so I can ask "How was I supposed to figure that out?"

Queen Michael:

I realise I don't actually like thease "games" at all...its like you start to read a book but 5 minutes in someone snatches it from you

"nuh uh! solves this puzzle first"

"but....I just want to see the story"

"after you do this"

"but I hate puzzles!"

"YOU WILL DO THIS PUZZLE AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT!!!"

Ugh.. no... just no... see we all remember those games and remember that for many of them it wasn't about logic it was trial and error. Rubbing everything in your inventory against everything on the screen.

The reward tiers in this Kickstarter are pretty funny.

BigTuk:
Ugh.. no... just no... see we all remember those games and remember that for many of them it wasn't about logic it was trial and error. Rubbing everything in your inventory against everything on the screen.

Oh you made me laugh quite a bit, pretty much sums up my whole monkey island experience. That and also my friend and I calling each other every time we discover something new

I was just looking for Ron Gilberts name, it was very important, and I found it. So I'm happy.

Also, for the complainers, they are puzzle games, not stories. The stories are fun, but the characters are great and you learn more about the characters in those old adventure games than anything else.

Great, another potential cash grab using nostalgia. I really like Ron Gilbert, but he can do better than this (I really liked Deathspank).

fractal_butterfly:
Great, another potential cash grab using nostalgia. I really like Ron Gilbert, but he can do better than this (I really liked Deathspank).

I think Ron Gilbert's doing this because he WANTS too, not because he has to.

Oh, I don't know. On one hand, nostalgia has a very strong effect on me. But on the other hand, being an old school adventure game does not automatically make it a GOOD old school adventure game.

Ooh, so tempting...*opens wallet*

Maniac Mansion was so much fun, even if i did need a hint book to complete it...so screw it, i'm backing!

Schmeiser:

BigTuk:

Oh you made me laugh quite a bit, pretty much sums up my whole monkey island experience. That and also my friend and I calling each other every time we discover something new

Keep in mind the good games managed to make failing at the very least interesting or even funny. The best would actually make you want to use the wrong choices just to see what would happen. Sadly comedy is not an easy science and when your game relies on it... it can get pretty stale.

Callate:
Y'know, I played the original Maniac Mansion. Also Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. I wouldn't be averse to seeing something in the style again.

...But I have to imagine that after Broken Age, there may be a fair number of people hanging on to their wallets.

(Yes, I know that was Schafer, but nostalgia-wise, they're aiming for a nearly identical audience.)

What are you implying about Broken Age? I loved the first half of that game, even if it was on the easy side, and they're promising to make act 2 harder.

Sight Unseen:

Callate:

What are you implying about Broken Age? I loved the first half of that game, even if it was on the easy side, and they're promising to make act 2 harder.

Hey, I've heard plenty of good things about the final product. But if I was going to finance a similar product, the fact that the original received eight times its funding goals while a) still requiring more funding and b) getting split into two parts, might give me pause.

I loved "Maniac Mansion" and "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". But I think that's too old-school for my taste (at least they reduced the commands to 9 actions, instead of the 15 that those games used to have). I would pretty much need to know more, because I can't seem to get the charm the old games had from that trailer...

PS: Will we able to finally use the chainsaw?

Queen Michael:
Oh goodie, I was fed up with all these modern games where the solutions make logical sense.

And where the graphics look like something you'd need at least a Pentium computer to render.

Hell, I think this actually looks worse than the original Monkey Island.

Callate:

Sight Unseen:

Callate:

Hey, I've heard plenty of good things about the final product. But if I was going to finance a similar product, the fact that the original received eight times its funding goals while a) still requiring more funding and b) getting split into two parts, might give me pause.

It's a lot more complicated than that. I've been following the development of this game very closely as I am a backer, and I'd be happy to explain the situation in more detail in a pm if you're interested, but I don't want to go too far off topic here or bore you if you don't really care. Let me know if you're interested.

Keep in mind that it's the writing that makes or breaks these games. I haven't played all that many in the past, but Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (THEY'RE BACK FROM THE DEAD, BABY!) comes to mind as something that would've been a rather mediocre experience were it not for the jokes. (That said, I played it when I was 12 or so; I may not find it to be as funny now that I've matured a little more)

If I have to rub a dead dog on a lamppost for fifteen minutes to figure out what to do, at least make it enjoyable for me. I want witty banter with every other stupid mistake I make! Furthermore, I want a few of the stupid mistakes to actually lead to my character doing stupid things, because if I didn't want to see my character try put a lampshade on a pug's head and use him as a weapon, I wouldn't have pressed the "place wig on and use as weapon" button. Even the most memorable adventure games are still the same at their core. The difference is polish. Lots and lots of polish. These adventure games are criticized for not really being games and just "click shit simulators", but I like a good "click shit simulator" if it's got the right flavour. That's why I liked the Walking Dead Game (both of 'em).

Let me get this straight. Ron Gilbert is now kickstarting the game (well, type and style), that people expected Tim Schafer to be making when they pulled our nostalgia strings. It even has a similar goal ($375,000$ vs $400,000). The description of how the production will go sounds pretty solid as far as budget concerns. I hope he pulls it off.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here