No FOV Control in Far Cry 4? You Pirated the Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No FOV Control in Far Cry 4? You Pirated the Game

far cry 4

People went online to complain about FOV controls in Far Cry 4 just to discover they were revealing themselves as pirates.

Far Cry 4's field of view glitch is an intentional one - that is, if you don't have a legitimate copy of the game. Alexander Hutchinson, creative director at Ubisoft Montreal, told PC players complaining about the lack of field of vision controls that they must have pirated the game.

Hutchinson said all legitimate copies of the game connected to the internet will have automatically received the feature via a launch day patch. Hutchinson also noted that many complaints were popping up before the game's Nov. 18 launch. (His initial tweet was sent on Nov. 17.) Complaints on Reddit surfaced on Nov. 15 as one user said the FOV slider was nowhere to be found, later updating the post to say FOV controls are in a day one patch.

Developers will sometimes enact measures to cripple pirated copies of games. EA and Maxis' The Sims 4 gameplay shows up as a pixellated blur for pirated copies of the game.

Far Cry 4 is experiencing legitimate problems affecting the game, though. Ubisoft is updating a blog with live updates on known issues in Far Cry 4 as it works on its upcoming second patch. Some of these problems include PC crashes, data corruption on the PS3, and invalid preorder code redemption for the "Blood Ruby" bonus mission, or a lack of the email at all.

Source: Alex Hutchinson (Twitter) via Eurogamer

Reminds me of the Sim 4 thing a few months ago. Hackers might find a way around this, but I think ideas like them are clever.

"Yeah, of COURSE we didn't FORGET an FOV slider. No, no, no way! It was a... a FEATURE! Yeah, a feature! To... fight PIRACY! Yes, that's right! And if you try to say anything else you are a damn dirty pirate!"

This is the type of DRM that I think is best. Pirate the game, you get a crippled version of it. Maybe even have the game crash any time you try to open it, something like that. That way you don't need to be always online, you don't need some draconian DRM or Uplay, or anything else. It's simple, effective, and you can figure out who's a pirate and who isn't by what they say.

"How do I stop pirates from shutting down my sales profits in Game Dev Tycoon?"

Answer: "Buy the game dude."

LOL

Christ, Ubisoft... AGAIN?

"Some of these problems include PC crashes, data corruption on the PS3, and invalid preorder code redemption for the "Blood Ruby" bonus mission, or a lack of the email at all."

Maybe spend less time on ridiculous stuff and more on finishing/delaying a game?

Heh, Ubisoft has taken a fair amount of shit recently, but I do always like stories of pirates getting caught in the act.

LysanderNemoinis:
This is the type of DRM that I think is best. Pirate the game, you get a crippled version of it. Maybe even have the game crash any time you try to open it, something like that. That way you don't need to be always online, you don't need some draconian DRM or Uplay, or anything else. It's simple, effective, and you can figure out who's a pirate and who isn't by what they say.

This isn't DRM. The game, at launch, had no FOV sliders, and the pirated copy is the day 1 launch copy.

The game still runs like arse anyway, from what I hear, so Ubi were being lazy across the board with their games. This does not bode well for people holding out for The Crew >.>

According to Toatalbiscut's "Port Report" of Far Cry 4, although it does have an FOV slider, it doesn't tell you what the FOV is. It's just a slider with no text. No way of telling what the maximum or minimum FOVs are and no way to find out what you have it set to when you move the slider.

You sure? The game is so buggy it's a bit hard to tell. The black screen if you have USB devices plugged in is pathetic.

Okay, less buggy than Unity.

UK Steam users still waiting for these recent Ubisoft games... just thought i'd say.

Of course... How could I confuse the lack of a feature in a retail game with a genuine DRM measure?

I guess the only people that would fall for that are pirates... and people who bought the game but couldn't download the patch, because they are not connected 24/7 to that piece of crap UPlay service (or to the Internet) which, in the eyes of Ubisoft, are pretty much pirates too.

cikame:
UK Steam users still waiting for these recent Ubisoft games... just thought i'd say.

Not that we care much about Unity anymore.

And frankly i havent yet heard anything about FC4 that sets it above, or even apart from FC3.

Jandau:
"Yeah, of COURSE we didn't FORGET an FOV slider. No, no, no way! It was a... a FEATURE! Yeah, a feature! To... fight PIRACY! Yes, that's right! And if you try to say anything else you are a damn dirty pirate!"

My thoughts exactly. XD

Sooo... punishing offline players to prevent piracy? Classy

Still not as good as the Arkham Asylum's "I can't glide" anti-pirate thing.

Though Earthbound has the best one ever. P:irated copies had an insanely increased encounter rate (you'd rarely go more than 2 steps without getting into a fight) and if you finally managed to get to the last Boss the game would "lock up" forcing you to reset the console and when you turned the power back on your saved games were gone.

And the two most obvious things that strong to mind right now are:

{A} This could also come from a buggy and incomplete legitimate copy (totally possible, given the last paragraph).

{B} The pirates are already on the case and have probably fixed the defect, fixed the bugs, and started modding the game.

It's not kind, but it is very possibly true.

Captcha: Al Capone

Also, there is apparently tax-evasion.

ooooh zing!
But really, I didn't know console games had FoV sliders at all.

And all that really does is create distrust in customer support and force always online.
I wonder how many piracies this has prevented, oh wait, it was pirated even before release. I can't be the only one who sees that flaw.

webkilla:

That was my initial thought too. Not sure which is worse, if they really did do it on purpose and just didn't care about offline players or they are lying and trying to pass off a missing feature as anti-piracy measure

I BOUGHT, okay, I was GIFTED, the game...

And, BLACK SCREEN!

No game play, just crashing with a black screen.

gamegod25:

webkilla:

That was my initial thought too. Not sure which is worse, if they really did do it on purpose and just didn't care about offline players or they are lying and trying to pass off a missing feature as anti-piracy measure

Oh gods yes - that could actually be it...

Tanis:

And, BLACK SCREEN!

If you haven't found the workaround yet, unplug all your USB devices except bone simple KB and mouse, especially X360 pad, Logitech G13, wheels, many Razer mice, Bluetooth audio, etc. It hangs on those. You must relaunch. Yes that's crazy.

Fun fact about U-play.

It's so shitty made that if you launch a game the old fashioned way, by just useing the desktop shortcut, the game will log in and play normally, but it will say dick all about any patches.

Now, you may think that it's because it does what Steam does, updates automaticly, right?
Nope nope nope nope nope. You HAVE to launch it via Uplay, who will then promt you to download a 3gig patch before you can do anything else.

But no where does it tell you that. I've been playing with the 1.0 version for days, hunting around any and all Ubisoft sites for a patch link, thinking my Uplay was bugged for not downloading the patch, and being confused that my retail game apparently was the same game that pirates had.

FUUUUUUUUCK YOU UBISOFT.

At least EA made their Steamclone work. You know you dun goofed when EA did it better.

oldtaku:

Tanis:

And, BLACK SCREEN!

If you haven't found the workaround yet, unplug all your USB devices except bone simple KB and mouse, especially X360 pad, Logitech G13, wheels, many Razer mice, Bluetooth audio, etc. It hangs on those. You must relaunch. Yes that's crazy.

So what happens if I want to play with my X360 gamepad? I always play FPS with kb/mouse, but sometimes I just want to play with a gamepad, you know?

OT: I have no interest in this game (not even considering pirating it), but last I checked the scene releases are already releasing copies with the latest patch included. So not sure how efficient this anti-piracy method, if it even is one.

Jandau:

Dear Lord I laughed at this.

It's so true. Fucking Ubisoft, man.

Day one patch, eh?
What if someone only plays offline?
Fuck them, I guess.

I've got a good twelve-ish hours in with no problems on PS3 other than needing to get the Co-op trophy.

But now I'm scared so I think I'll be backing up my save data.

While pirates will probably work out a way to incorporate the patch/fix whatever, it's still clever. I think Game Dev Tycoon and Batman: Arkham Asylum both did something similar also. The former made it such that any games output in GDT woud eventually be pirated and the player unable to succeed. In the latter, Batman couldn't activate his glide ability or something at a point in the game where it was required.

I'm very glad that FC4 evidently HAS an FoV slider in game. Frankly if a game doesn't have it I'm not going to play it. Default console FoVs are awful on a PC (Sleeping Dogs is an example of this, Mafia 2 as well). I'm glad to see more and more games starting to have it in game (like Bioshock Infinite, BL2, FC3). It's always a hassle to have to dig through ini/cfg/bin files or find a 3rd party mod/program. And for an FPS especially it's crucial.

Anyway, Ubisoft did something clever. They're still bastards, holding their games back from Steam, putting microtransactions into full priced games, unable to make games that run at 1080p/60fps (despite it being the par du jours on the PC), regurgitating the same game year after year, lying, marketing trickery, review embargoes and forced uPlay. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

webkilla:

It's ubisoft, i'll be damned surprised if anyone can play at all without connecting once through uplay or some such bullshit.

1. Complains about riduculous FOV handling is coming from legitimate costumers too. When you increase FOV in FC4 you get this: http://i.imgur.com/wy3Klzz.jpg

2. Offline players will not have day1 patch. Besides, something like a FOV slider should have been in the alpha build, not as a patch. you have completely and utterly fail at videogame developing if you think FOV is optional.

3. Do you know what always happens with DRM like this? Legitimate costumers get burned (according to ars technia for example someties up to 22% of legitimate costumers, thats a lot) while pirates have already fixed this.

LysanderNemoinis:

Ah, yes. great DRM. plenty of false positives for legitimate costumers, pirates fix it day 1. so effective.

Tanis:

And, BLACK SCREEN!

Unplug any USB device. apperently that causes the black screen. because Ubisoft.

Guilion:
Yes Ubisoft, you taught those naughty pirates who is boss!, at least until one person with a lot of time in its hands cracks the code in a few months and makes you look like a complete fool that is.

Im sorry buy "few months"? Its already cracked.

Strazdas:
Zip

So basically, the only people who can play the game right now (properly, that is) would be the pirates.

Good work, Ubi! Wonderful preparation and loading procedures across the board. Ah, one problem though: Shouldn't the cannons be pointed away from your faces? Seems a bit daft, otherwise.

Jandau:

I'm going to have to concur with this, it is possible that they legitimately did do this intentionally, but they can't really complain if people suspect it was just a bug that they are trying their hardest to lampshade as some great gotcha.
Also, if they did do it intentionally then it sounds needlessly vindictive, to potentially cripple your own game with bugs just to what? To make pirates wait an entire hour or two before people upload a patch/fix for this? I bet if i went to download it now there would already be newer torrents of it with this patch included.
As funny as it is when companies pull legitimate tricks, it really is nothing more than a fun joke, i can't imagine people will be deterred by this.

Guilion:
Now all we have to do is wait until someone releases an unofficial patch to fix the problems with the PC version! (Please don't tell me they already figured out that one too T_T )

They already fixed that. They included the "official patch" that adds the FOV slider, and they also added more as a bonus.

Fixed all the bugs graphics , shadows, normal, not like before dark . Added new gun with graphics settings , such as for some objects , a variety of trees and range coverage , and so on

And to top things off, the torrent that I checked was posted and fixed on the same day.

Ubisoft did nothing clever.

Strazdas:

Tanis:
I BOUGHT, okay, I was GIFTED, the game...And, BLACK SCREEN!

Unplug any USB device. apperently that causes the black screen. because Ubisoft.

Yeah, that's why I said 'gifted'.
Because I will NEVER buy a Ubisoft game new, no matter how much I may want it.
I'd rather GameStop or 'that one person on Craigslist' get my money than them.

I HAVE to use a USB mouse and keyboard because I don't have a wireless one.

Plus, I'm tried removes them and then putting them back and...nothing.

It's a shame that Ubisoft has fallen so far.
:/

FalloutJack:

Strazdas:
Zip

So basically, the only people who can play the game right now (properly, that is) would be the pirates.

Good work, Ubi! Wonderful preparation and loading procedures across the board. Ah, one problem though: Shouldn't the cannons be pointed away from your faces? Seems a bit daft, otherwise.

While i wouldnt be so categorical to say they are the only people right now, but the pirates do can play the game right now.

Them being the only people being able to play it was Asssasins Creed 2 Launch week because Ubisoft servers were down/crashing while pirates emulated the server locally and thus didnt crash.

Pirates being able to play the game better than legal costumers seems to be a tradition with Ubisoft though ever since UdontPLAY launched.

Tanis:

I HAVE to use a USB mouse and keyboard because I don't have a wireless one.

You are still using USB ports for wireless keyboard and mouse, you just got a transmitter at the usb port and in keyboard instead of wires. Though i was under the assumption that keyboards wasnt the devices making blackscreen so the problam may be different here.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here