World of Warcraft Surpasses 10 Million Subscribers (Again)

World of Warcraft Surpasses 10 Million Subscribers (Again)

Warlords of Draenor

Blizzard reports that it has sold 3.3 million copies of the latest World of Warcraft expansion: Warlords of Dreanor.

It seems that every time the reports of World of Warcraft's imminent demise crop up, Blizzard does something to very definitively put the naysayers in their place, and assert its dominance of the King of MMOs. This time, the company has announced that it has sold 3.3 million copies of Warlords of Dreanor, causing the game to yet again break the 10 million active subscribers mark.

It was a very different story a year ago, when World of Warcraft numbers were shrinking month by month, before reaching an all-time low of just 6.8 million in August.

Last we heard, Blizzard was sitting on 7.4 million subscribers, meaning WoD has brought in at least an additional 2.6 million players. It's worth noting that the previous expansion, Mists of Pandaria, also broke the 10 million milestone, but as the subscriber base pre-expansion at the time was already 9.1 million, it's not quite as impressive.

"We're thrilled that so many players jumped in to play Warlords of Draenor on day one and are having a great time with the new content," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment in a press release. "We poured a lot of hard work and passion into this expansion, and we appreciate all the kind words from players and the overwhelming support they continue to show for World of Warcraft.

For the record, Blizzard defines World of Warcraft "subscribers" as "individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access."

It's pretty impressive for a game that's over a decade old to be still pulling in these kinds of numbers. Perhaps the surge of WoD pre-orders is one of the reasons why Titan finally got the axe?

Source: Blizzard

"We're thrilled that so many players jumped in to play Warlords of Draenor on day one and are having a great time with the new content

AHAHAHAHA

Because the forums aren't awash with tales of individuals unable to play due to massive login queues and server instability. Easily the worst expansion launch. I eagerly await to see the sub numbers in a month's time. Maybe despite the negative backlash WoD has something going for it?

Attelia:
"We're thrilled that so many players jumped in to play Warlords of Draenor on day one and are having a great time with the new content

AHAHAHAHA

Because the forums aren't awash with tales of individuals unable to play due to massive login queues and server instability. Easily the worst expansion launch. I eagerly await to see the sub numbers in a month's time. Maybe despite the negative backlash WoD has something going for it?

You mean you feel this strongly about something you haven't experienced first hand?

Ticklefist:

Attelia:

AHAHAHAHA

You mean you feel this strongly about something you haven't experienced first hand?

Welcome to the internet

Ticklefist:

Attelia:

AHAHAHAHA

I was in beta. Yeah, the day 1 stuff is all secondhand (mostly from friends and forumers), but trust me when I say that WoD wasn't in a good place for most of its beta. A lot of the bug reports were ignored for months and the communication was scarce. Then there's the whole class pruning can of worms. No one has any idea what direction the dev team is heading in and they sure as celery aren't about to tell us.
I love WoW and I have for years. I'm mean because I love it :)

It's good news for WoW, but still expansion spikes aren't exactly new. The interesting part will be if these people are retained.

This news makes me all the more impressed with EVE though, for giving up the huge expansion spikes and gambling it all on quicker more frequent updates that will help keep the overall quality of the game. They've abandoned the release-relapse cycle and put their money on growing their audience over the course of time.

Attelia:

Ticklefist:

Attelia:

AHAHAHAHA

I was in beta. Yeah, the day 1 stuff is all secondhand (mostly from friends and forumers), but trust me when I say that WoD wasn't in a good place for most of its beta. A lot of the bug reports were ignored for months and the communication was scarce. Then there's the whole class pruning can of worms. No one has any idea what direction the dev team is heading in and they sure as celery aren't about to tell us.
I love WoW and I have for years. I'm mean because I love it :)

You obviously weren't around when BC launched and servers broke for days. Or when Vanilla first launched for that matter. People seem to forget how often we got free days of pay because servers were down all the time.

Anyways WoD hit that sweet spot of BC nostalgia but with all the improvements of later expansions. Good stuff all around. Loving it so far.

Attelia:
Easily the worst expansion launch.

BAHAHAHAHAHA...oh, you're serious? This happens with every single expansion and everyone always says "It's the worst one EVAR!". Really, the problems only existed for two or three days, they didn't effect everyone, and Blizzard has given people free game time (five days) as compensation.

I highly doubt many people will quit over that.

Adamantium93:

Attelia:
Easily the worst expansion launch.

BAHAHAHAHAHA...oh, you're serious? This happens with every single expansion and everyone always says "It's the worst one EVAR!". Really, the problems only existed for two or three days, they didn't effect everyone, and Blizzard has given people free game time (five days) as compensation.

I highly doubt many people will quit over that.

I actually agree, this is worse than most of the other expansions.

Sure, BC made the horrible decision to dump everyone in the same starting zone, where you had to literally fight over quest mobs, but at least I could PLAY it. I have been playing World of Warcraft since it first launched, and I have NEVER seen queues as long as 10 hrs until WoD. It was absolutely ridiculous.

I'd say WotLK and Cataclysm were smoothest. With WoD I'm fortunate to be on a low-pop server so I never saw a queue. The DDOS stuff was annoying the first couple nights tho.

I'm actually scouting for a new servers atm. Moon Guard is.. running very well.

No wonder it increased so drastically. Finally they wen't back to the roots and made it hard. The previous two expansions only made it easier. Hopefully they will proceed adding this kind of expansions. Found myself on the following site.

http://www.gamescoon.net/product/games/unbranded/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor-pc/

It's more or less fair to say it's one of the worst launches ever. Literally over 6 hour queues, lag bad enough to render the game unplayable and a quest that relied on the severely overtaxed instancing tech and was impossible to turn in, rendering you unable to progress. The game could not be played for the first two days. But 5 days free time for a couple of days of inconvenience is more than fair compensation in my eyes.

Well the content is good...when you could play it. The launch was pretty rough IMO...long queue's on most servers, frequent lag and server crashes, and one critical quest made impossible due to trolling assholes parking their mounts over an important quest object causing an insane player pileup in one spot.

Thankfully things have gotten better since then, though I wouldn't sound an all clear just quite yet. Still running into issues occasionally but nothing too serious.

Good for them, I might jump back in myself if the feedback is solid still after a month or so, anyways I heard Blizzard will give 5 days pro bono WoW time to compensate for the unbeatable Que boss.

3.3 million copies... that's actually rather small compared to the already active player base. Also while Blizzard can beat their chest over it...I wonder what the numbers will be come january.

BigTuk:
3.3 million copies... that's actually rather small compared to the already active player base. Also while Blizzard can beat their chest over it...I wonder what the numbers will be come january.

Well the article fails to mention that was 3.3 million copies on the first day and also doesn't include one of the largest regions for WoW's playerbase, China which got the expansion launch today.

Denamic:
It's more or less fair to say it's one of the worst launches ever. Literally over 6 hour queues, lag bad enough to render the game unplayable and a quest that relied on the severely overtaxed instancing tech and was impossible to turn in, rendering you unable to progress. The game could not be played for the first two days. But 5 days free time for a couple of days of inconvenience is more than fair compensation in my eyes.

Sorry, have to disagree with all of you. I've been playing since Vanilla and this wasn't the worst opening. I got to play on the second day with no problems. I remember the first couple of expansions where queues were -expected- for weeks. You can get on and play whenever you want now.

Only had one queue on day 2 of the xpac. My server is normally medium population so it was only 15 minutes or so. Haven't seen a queue since. Server latency was an issue for the first couple days, and competing for mobs was annoying but absolutely expected. Got one of my alts through the starting quest so that he could start passively gathering garrison resources and getting rest xp and I can attest that everything is working perfectly now up to at least that point.

Haters are gonna hate, but the (minor) issues from day 1-3 are gone and Blizz is doing what seems like daily hotfixes to fix problems as they are reported. The DDOS attack also didn't help matters right at the beginning, I wonder if that was in response to the Blizzcon speech.

I really don't care if it was the worst launch ever. I'm going to judge the expac for how fun it is. So far so good though.

Makabriel:

Denamic:

Sorry, have to disagree with all of you. I've been playing since Vanilla and this wasn't the worst opening. I got to play on the second day with no problems. I remember the first couple of expansions where queues were -expected- for weeks. You can get on and play whenever you want now.

I don't know what it was like on lower pop servers, but on Draenor EU, the game was literally unplayable. Constant 5 to 10 second lagspikes, phases not working, quest turn-ins missing, obscene queue times, etc. You simply could not play the game. A launch cannot get much worse than that if it doesn't come visit you and physically spits you in the face.

Denamic:

Jesus Christ, what happened? Did Draenor finally get its first taco stand?

Attelia:

AHAHAHAHA

It does. The quests and garrisons are quite enjoyable so far.

Also BC and Wrath had their own launch issue. The WoW fanbase is loud, vocal and easily perturbed. The issues though are largely fixed now and free game time to make up for the issues has been given.

All in all, now that these numbers were revealed everyone's kind of let out a collective 'oh.' and 'really!?'

We did not expect to go back up to 10 million. 8 was the high mark prediction for most. TEN though, no wonder the servers broke, so many realms have been merged and the instance servers downgraded in capacity to save on power and cost. This surge of players caught Blizzard off guard make no mistake.

Denamic:

Makabriel:

Denamic:

I don't know what it was like on lower pop servers, but on Draenor EU, the game was literally unplayable. Constant 5 to 10 second lagspikes, phases not working, quest turn-ins missing, obscene queue times, etc. You simply could not play the game. A launch cannot get much worse than that if it doesn't come visit you and physically spits you in the face.

Haha oh god you play on Draenor, you poor sap. I thought Emerald Dream had it fairly bad but I saw the footage off draenor and it was a case of 'woo boy glad I'm not them!' My sympathies.

Honestly, the launch seemed pretty smooth on Shandris. I was able to log in within minutes of it launching (woohoo for being a night owl?) and played it for a couple hours with no problems whatsoever.

The following day after work, once again, I was able to log in and play with no issues. Still no queues or disconnects as of this morning.

The only times to date that I've ever had issues playing the game were during the initial launch and during the single-starting-zone-clusterfuck that was Burning Crusade.

Of course, anything World of Warcraft related is going to get some haters who don't have much experience with the game spouting crap about worst [blank] ever.

This is far from the worst launch considering Vanilla and Burning Crusade launches. In fact, I would say they've done really good considering many realms were getting DOS'd.

I was also never in queue to get online. Never, not since BC.

The game is a decade old and still has a player base in the several millions. Clearly they are doing something right and I've been playing it every since the release.

This about sums up the launch:

Let's not downplay how bad Thu-Sat was. The game was figuratively unplayable on a lot of servers before they brought the server caps down dramatically, and then it was literally unplayable for a lot of people as queues sprang up to 2-3 hours on "ghost town" servers and upwards of 10-12 hours on major hubs.

However, come Sunday and the instancing they put in place, the game is not only running smooth but is relatively polished and bug-free, perhaps as much as any expansion launch in their history. And the general reception amongst players seems to teeter on "glowing".

Ticklefist:

When it comes to queues, anyone can could check if it was bad or not. Just make a starting edition account - with cap at lvl 20 - and try to join a server.
I haven't seen queues this long since BC release, definitely. WOTLK release was mighty fine by comparison - can't tell for Cata or MoP though, but I don't remember my friends bitching about their releases much (complaints about Cataclysm's content is another matter obviously).

Well, I saw one far worse once, but that was LOTRO when they wanted to test their F2P system; I think I was in a 10K+ queue then.

Thing is, it all depends on the server. If you're on an old server where you've played since Vanilla, you might have a ridiculously long queue. If you're on a low-pop server, you might well not have any queue except the very first day.

I also think that they didn't expect such growing numbers and were unprepared.
The growth actually began before the release; I think many people used the 7-days trial or just got their subscription back 1 to 2 weeks before release, because I actually used my 7-day trial in the very first days of November; weekend went smoothly, but then I had the last 2 evenings, on weekdays, with 500+ queue already.
Though I won't complain, because they had the good and nice sense to update my frozen Cataclysm-level account to MoP, so that I could actually level up all the way to 90.

seditary:
Well the article fails to mention that was 3.3 million copies on the first day and also doesn't include one of the largest regions for WoW's playerbase, China which got the expansion launch today.

Thanks, that explains it. I was wondering if 2/3 of WOW players had decided to stick with Pandaria for now, because I'd have expected the bulk of paying players to have updated to Warlords.

I found it to be a decent/solid expansion release overall. Not having all those blue ! dailies and shift to a garrison is not bad so far. The super house - Garrison idea is an interesting move and a change in the game dynamics.

I can see a lot of prior expansion flavor being inserted in the different Draenor regions, npc's color pallet choices and theme.

Also with the super house they have added some hooks, a community of npc's that wave at you as you go by, make comments etc. Also being able to change the Garrison based on playstyle or needs is nice though it does have a small time cost and a larger expense.

For myself unless they really launch some surprises I do not see myself sticking around very long. I do not believe it is a design problem, just that I have played WoW for so long hehe, maybe I just wanted to get a few key characters to 100 is all? hmm.

Side note for Titanfall: I read or heard somewhere that the materials we see in Overwatch is the assets from Titanfall? Man, now I really would have liked to have seen what they had planned. One comment was it was six games in one and lacked direction being some of the reasons they shut it down.

I wonder if it was an instanced based shooter with MMO style population and game environment with different connected zones. Honestly I would have rather tried that then another arena competitive shooter Team Fortress type thing... sigh oh well.

Bigeyez:
You obviously weren't around when BC launched and servers broke for days.

I was.

I don't remember being shut out of the game for days. A few hours, at most. And I would have remembered: I had only just started playing the game about a week before BC's launch. If it had had the issues people are saying WoD is having, I'd have dropped it and never looked back - I wasn't invested in it yet.

I've been around since closed alpha and this was the worst launch I've seen.
The only worse event was during the opening of Ahn'Qiraj, which was completely crazy and something that Blizzard has said that they'll probably never do again.
Note that depending on realm and server, people have had different experiences. I used to be on one of the heaviest EU servers which had an hour queue for about a year, but my current one is medium-pop and it was still way worse than both TBC and WoTLK.

Forget the six hour queues, the crippling lag and disconnects. The worst part was the bottleneck quests where people stood for over an hour just to click a cage, then a flag, then a stone and so on just to progress. The lack of a two-zone start is in my opinion a horrible idea, especially when they promised that world PvP would be a "thing" again.
The only way it could be worse was if they hadn't upped spawn rates depending on how fast mobs were killed, like in TBC (I still get stressed trying to collect bonechewer blood... Gaming PTSD!).

In regards to the PvP, most people are either in their garrisons or on Ashran farming honor and easy-to-get 620/675 PvP gear. There's no reason not to have flying mounts in this expansion, it's just another timesink.
People don't hang around zones and factions are opposite eachother, so there's not much opportunity to get some honest world PvP. Hell, I don't even like PvP, but even I enjoy a random fight once in a while.

Apart from the rocky launch and, in my opinion, bad zone design, the content was enjoyable. There are some brutal quest lines and Challenge Mode actually feels challenging. I wish the heroics were a bit harder, but after the initial panic to gear up, there's no reason to cc or really be careful anymore, even in PUGs.

Steven Bogos:

Perhaps the surge of WoD pre-orders is one of the reasons why Titan finally got the axe?

They've stated that it's because they couldn't figure out a way to make the game come together. There's no reason to speculate in an article unless there's something to back it up.
Show me a statement from a disgruntled employee why they canned the project; Then there's something to talk about.

Attelia:

AHAHAHAHA

Not gonna lie, every time I see WoD, I have to stop and tell myself that we're not talking about World of Darkness.

OT: I hope that they clear up the instability issues soon, so people can play what they paid for.

- 10 millions of people saw the Twilight movies

- 10 millions of people buy Call Of Duty regularly

- 10 millions of people are smokers

- 10 millions of people are fans of One Direction

"Eat s**t: 10 millions of flies can't go wrong!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: