Grand Theft Auto V AI Will Let Hell Loose When You Step Away

Grand Theft Auto V AI Will Let Hell Loose When You Step Away

Los Santos might as well be alive with children at the wheels in Grand Theft Auto V.

YouTuber Naswas discovered the AI in Grand Theft Auto V will go bonkers on the streets if you sit and do nothing.

Naswas says he left the game running for a few minutes while he got food. He recorded a rather ridiculous traffic jam in the time he let the game do what it wanted without him.

As the character sits in the car at a red traffic light, some non-playable characters display a fundamental misunderstanding of traffic laws. Suddenly people are making left turns when they shouldn't and cars are blazing ahead. Multiple cars crash into a bus and another car slams into the back of Naswas' car in the game. It's a green light, but everyone's moving, including a man who starts running through the street only to get run over by a camper vehicle. Screams and car crashes continue for the rest of the three minutes of video as the police start shooting and people confusingly run into vehicles. The grand finale is, naturally, Michael Bay-style exploding cars. Just another day in the game's fictional south California.

It just goes to show that the people of Grand Theft Auto V all need a babysitter on hand at all times.

Source: Naswas (YouTube) via Kotaku

Finally a game where people behave like in real life!

>.>

What?

I think why it suddenly goes haywire is because of the sudden firefight in it's vicinity =P

As far as I can tell, some cops got hit by a car and they flipped out and started shootin people? Then people started freakin out and runnin into the literal middle of the street to get away from the gunshots (which actually put them closer to the gun shots)

The best part was a minute in while the shootings died down, but cars keep tryin to use the intersection. Goin full blast into cars that they clearly should be able to see. As time passes cars still keep pilin up and pilin up until some cars take enough damage to just straight up explode.

I'm now goin to imagine this happenin constantly at every intersection of GTA games. Its all just massive pileups involvin shootouts with cops and people committin suicide by stupidity.

roseofbattle:

Naswas says he left the game running for a few minutes while he got food. He recorded a rather ridiculous traffic jam in the time he let the game do what it wanted without him.

As the character sits in the car at a red traffic light, some non-playable characters display a fundamental misunderstanding of traffic laws.

It just goes to show that the people of Grand Theft Auto V all need a babysitter on hand at all times.

It seems to me that the first statement is perhaps a lie by the user, and the resulting scene has been taken out of context.

In the first moment of the video you see the camera turn a funky color and an audio cue, followed by Michael saying "Traffic in the city!" this signifies a character change. Afaik, the game just doesn't change characters on you when you're not playing. So the player had to have changed the character himself just a moment ago.

The reason why that's important, is because when you switch characters, you'll often be put in control of characters while they're in the middle of something. And a very common occurrence when switching characters is finding them in the middle of an abnormally massive and chaotic traffic jam. Traffic jams like this just don't occur in normal play. The only other possibility is that the user started up the game and left the room while it was loading, and when you are put into the game, the game treats it as a Character Change, so this traffic jam may be the first thing you see when you begin the game.

Then one of the other random events that can occur in normal play, is the police in the middle of a chase/shootout with random criminals besides yourself. Which occurred during this traffic jam. Which caused all the drivers and pedestrians to display usual GTA behavior of going completely insane, only made far more ridiculous because of the special circumstance of the character change putting you in the middle of a traffic jam.

So in short: I am almost completely certain this didn't "just happen" as the user described it. It seems to have only happened because of special circumstances that take place during character changes, mixed in with some of the dynamic randomness that occurs in normal play, resulting in a hilariously insane scene. Gotta love sandboxes sometimes <3

Tohuvabohu:

The reason why that's important, is because when you switch characters, you'll often be put in control of characters while they're in the middle of something. And a very common occurrence when switching characters is finding them in the middle of an abnormally massive and chaotic traffic jam. Traffic jams like this just don't occur in normal play. The only other possibility is that the user started up the game and left the room while it was loading, and when you are put into the game, the game treats it as a Character Change, so this traffic jam may be the first thing you see when you begin the game.

Then one of the other random events that can occur in normal play, is the police in the middle of a chase/shootout with random criminals besides yourself. Which occurred during this traffic jam. Which caused all the drivers and pedestrians to display usual GTA behavior of going completely insane, only made far more ridiculous because of the special circumstance of the character change putting you in the middle of a traffic jam.

So in short: I am almost completely certain this didn't "just happen" as the user described it. It seems to have only happened because of special circumstances that take place during character changes, mixed in with some of the dynamic randomness that occurs in normal play, resulting in a hilariously insane scene. Gotta love sandboxes sometimes <3

Favorite random event after character change? Trevor's Scooter Brother madness... I never saw the meme it is based on, but its fucking hilarious anyway.

Heh I just saw this on Dorkly. This makes me want to play the game. Awesome.

Clearly they used white cis male gamers as a basis for the in game A.I., now if they were wearing tacky shirts then its justifiable because they are obviously trying to enable inequality.

This isnt new or news. This happens in GTA3, Vice, & San Andreas from what i remember.

I love that the firetruck explodes <10 seconds after arriving and there's a single fire fighter walking away calmly.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Favorite random event after character change? Trevor's Scooter Brother madness... I never saw the meme it is based on, but its fucking hilarious anyway.

Lol that's probably my favorite too. I followed that poor bastard almost halfway around the map laughing like an idiot when it first happened.

You know, I had no idea that R* actually based that on something. Apparently on this:

Now that I've seen this, everything is even more hilarious haha

shintakie10:
As far as I can tell, some cops got hit by a car and they flipped out and started shootin people? Then people started freakin out and runnin into the literal middle of the street to get away from the gunshots (which actually put them closer to the gun shots)

The best part was a minute in while the shootings died down, but cars keep tryin to use the intersection. Goin full blast into cars that they clearly should be able to see. As time passes cars still keep pilin up and pilin up until some cars take enough damage to just straight up explode.

I'm now goin to imagine this happenin constantly at every intersection of GTA games. Its all just massive pileups involvin shootouts with cops and people committin suicide by stupidity.

GTA: Detroit.

This reminds me of a cheat combo I used to do in San Andreas. Insane driving and armed civilians, and one other. Basically the entire city went up in flames. I even wrote a short story about it.
I mostly did it to see how long I would survive from going one end of the city to the next. It was a lot of fun.

Tohuvabohu:

Now that I've seen this, everything is even more hilarious haha

I'd looked it up later because I was curious if it was original or not, but even as a tribute it was awesome. I'm hoping they added some new random things to the newer versions.
I like that GTA V brought some of the older humor back that was honestly absent from IV. Its not as over-the-top, Saints Row took that mantle up well enough. But any GTA entry needs that odd humor, which is why as much as the story of IV is touted as pretty good, I felt it was the weakest entry in the series (though Gay Tony did bring up the quality of that game).
Here's also to hoping they release at least one story expansion at least as quality as TBGT.

this isn't new..i've seen this same thing in a lot of open world games.. it's called bad AI programming

crazygameguy4ever:
this isn't new..i've seen this same thing in a lot of open world games.. it's called bad AI programming

AI is designed to get impatient and ram the car in front of them, because if its a cop car guns start firing and you get situations like this.

In other words, working as intended, carry on.

I think insurance cards in Los Santos say something like,

In the event of an accident, reverse your vehicle and then plow into the other vehicle multiple times. If this does not cause the way through to become clear, exit your vehicle, draw your firearm, and open fire."

I also had a hearty laugh about the fireman standing on the corner after the fire engine he arrived in bursts into flame and explodes. "Well... That's unfortunate."

I do have to give credit on one detail, though: the game didn't immediately assume that because there was carnage, the player must be responsible. That particular AI SNAFU has been around for a while.

This is a good example of why games with emergent gameplay and NPCs that are expected to do things other than just attack the player would benefit from some sort of "AI Director" style system that keeps all the NPCs in the immediate area relatively under control. Their individual AIs are not capable of handling themselves if things start to escalate.

Callate:
I do have to give credit on one detail, though: the game didn't immediately assume that because there was carnage, the player must be responsible. That particular AI SNAFU has been around for a while.

Story time: When I played the original BioShock, I occasionally ran into situations where a Big Daddy would aggro on me for bullshit reasons, but it was always fairly apparent why. Years later, I watched the Video Games Awesome team play through the game in preparation for Infinite, and on two separate occasions a Big Daddy would show up completely out of nowhere, eyes already glowing red, and attack them. After mulling it over for the longest time, I figured out what must have happened: A rogue splicer that had spawned in the area had triggered either a security camera or a turret that the player had hacked, and the Big Daddy had been caught in the crossfire.

That case could have been easily avoided by simply not giving the Big Daddies some sixth sense about whose side a machine is on in the first place, because it's not really a useful thing for them to know. Based on my experience with the sequel, I suspect the developers got wise and took it out.

It's not really a "sudden random bit of chaos". If you actually pay attention to the clip, you notice that there is a gunfight in the street around the player, and that's the point at which the npc's start freaking out. They rush around traffic, people start running into the street at random directions, almost as if they were scared to get shot and were panicking. So yeah, I think it's actually a pretty believable reaction based on what the clip shows.

At about 40 secs in a guy gets hit by a car driven by himself. That is fantastic.

people keep saying this is nothing new but i left my game running on the ps3 version all the time and i never returned to anarchy
or the police gunning down innocent civilians

Happyninja42:
It's not really a "sudden random bit of chaos". If you actually pay attention to the clip, you notice that there is a gunfight in the street around the player, and that's the point at which the npc's start freaking out. They rush around traffic, people start running into the street at random directions, almost as if they were scared to get shot and were panicking. So yeah, I think it's actually a pretty believable reaction based on what the clip shows.

yeah it did seem like the cops you could see were also getting shot by someone else

I remember in saints row 2 if you shot a vehicle the npc driving it would go nuts and speed off in a random direction even going off-road and plowing into pedestrians this also included planes which routinely landed at the airport only to take off again for no apparent reason, but if you shot them they would speed off and run into a nearby hanger

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Trevor is a bit of a weird one anyway...

The pedestrian panic behaviour when they hear gunshots has always been amusing, and can cause untold amounts of random chaos.

It's hilarious in GTA V when there's a random police chase and shootout on a busy highway. I saw one where the police car, criminals car and arriving ambulance had blocked the road and caused a big traffic pile-up.

Even though all the criminals were dead and everything was calm, I accidentally knocked a gun on the floor as I went to scavenge ammo and loot, which caused it to fire it's chambered round, which then panicked all the drivers and made them try to escape, but in doing so one of them nudged a cop who reacted to it like he was being attacked and started shooting the driver, which caused even more panicking and made another driver run over a cop in order to get away, which caused the cops to act like they were in combat with two groups of people and all hell truly broke loose.

You can orchestrate this yourself by standing at a busy intersection or choke point to stop traffic, then call the cops and other emergency services to summon big ambulances and fire-trucks to cause even more of a blockage, then summon more cops... eventually one of the frustrated drivers will nudge a cop and the panicked shooting will begin.

Still, nothing can surpass the hilariousness of this behaviour when it manifested itself in GTA San Andreas. All of those random plane crashes where caused by this panic behaviour and the NPC pilots of the planes having super sensitive hearing and no concept of altitude and acting like panicked car drivers. Any random gunshot had a chance of spooking a plane flying high overhead, which would cause the pilot to panic (because they think the gunshot occurred on their level) and exit their vehicle to run away on foot, causing them to fall to their deaths and the now empty plane to crash and burn.

This is not typically what happens if you leave the game on. This is a switch-character scene (Michael's I believe) in which he is stuck in a traffic jam and it obviously went bananas as things in Los Santos sometimes do. The AI will not just "go bonkers if you do nothing", that's pretty misleading.

Have you ever seen the traffic in San Andreas? Lets say you had the quickest car out there.. and did go crazy on the high way. Guess what even the slow clunkers tried to race you. Yup all cars did drive as if a rubber band was hooked on your car. And somehow that old clunker that you can't get beyond 80MPH rides 160MPH.

we got a cop firefight and AI is reacting to it by being scared. beside the obviuos AI patchfinding issues of that fat guy with red shirt it seems quite well done

also that looks quite awesome, i like this reactoinary AI.

masticina:
Have you ever seen the traffic in San Andreas? Lets say you had the quickest car out there.. and did go crazy on the high way. Guess what even the slow clunkers tried to race you. Yup all cars did drive as if a rubber band was hooked on your car. And somehow that old clunker that you can't get beyond 80MPH rides 160MPH.

the SA traffic was pre-coded most of the time. you saw cars spawning at 90miles per hour ramming everything, ect. only when it collided with something (like you) the AI would turn on. San andreas AI was awful, but i loved the car driving mechanics and in multiplayer others were real people so AI problem was solved.

crazygameguy4ever:

Yeah you tried that one in the Facebook comments and everyone shot you down. Why you would come to the decision that this is bad AI is anyones guess.

Honestly, if there was one cheat I wished was in GTA IV, it was the civilian riot and civilian have weapons cheats, they were a ton of fun, turning the city into a warzone where you would try and survive (me and my friends used them and took turns surviving the longest picking up no health powerups)

Really hope there is something like that in the PC release, if there is, I swear I will buy it again, you have no idea how much fun I can have with those cheats active (while your at it, bring reckless drivers back too for even more mayhem)

TizzytheTormentor:
Honestly, if there was one cheat I wished was in GTA IV, it was the civilian riot and civilian have weapons cheats, they were a ton of fun, turning the city into a warzone where you would try and survive (me and my friends used them and took turns surviving the longest picking up no health powerups)

Really hope there is something like that in the PC release, if there is, I swear I will buy it again, you have no idea how much fun I can have with those cheats active (while your at it, bring reckless drivers back too for even more mayhem)

I agree wholeheartedly; I could never find out how to mod that into the game but I loved watching people's YouTube videos of cars bouncing lethally around the city like rubber balls. More fun than indoor dodgeball in the dark.

Ah, this happens in all GTA games. People always drive and walk like they're too high to care about consequences. This type of chaos can happen in a variety of ways.

- Cars can hit other cars for no reason, because nobody ever bothers to make NPCs drive like most people would. When a collision occurs, nobody ever just pulls over and exchanges insurance information. Instead, drivers have a chance of panicking and floor it trying to get away which causes chain reactions, or they'll get their road rage on and try to murder the owner of the car that hit them. This kind of thing can snowball.

- When cars hit people, sometimes those people get mad and try to start a fight with the guy that hit them. Fights can leave idle cars sitting in the street; see the next point.

- In most city sandbox games, if there's an empty car or other obstacle in the road, non-moving drivers will get impatient and eventually attempt to go around whatever's blocking them at all costs. They typically drive onto the sidewalk and break things, hit people, and generally start driving like shit. If they can't get around whatever's blocking them, they often attempt to just ram it hoping to get through. This obviously causes problems. All it takes is one car parked in the middle of the road to eventually cause urban chaos, even if takes so long for that one car to get bumped enough that it explodes.

- Cops have a short fuse. Anyone running over a cop or crashing into a cop car is the latest candidate for police brutality. Cops can sometimes care enough to do something about people starting fights in the streets or running over other people, typically adding gunfire and setting everyone off.

- When people hear gunfire or explosions, people start to panic and floor the gas pedal and hit things without a second thought, even if it means smashing into things and being unable to go anywhere, or even burning cars set to explode. This is what happens in the video.

It's always funny unless one of these panicking fools happens to run over you. That hurts a lot and just makes you want to shoot everything.

"This article was published without approval or consent of ZelnickMedia or Take-Two." But, it's really good advertising, don't you think? Anyone still wondering why Jim Sterling went south?

Imperioratorex Caprae:

It's based on a meme? That remains one of the funniest/random things I've seen. If I hadn't been listening to the audio it wouldn't have really been out of ordinary, either - just Trevor on a scooter. I switched and he's yelling at the guy, so I just started following him; sure enough, Trevor continued to yell at him for a while! Awesome.

truckspond:

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Trevor is a bit of a weird one anyway...

Kind of reminds me of a cross between Mister Torgue and Krieg.

D-Mc-G:
I think why it suddenly goes haywire is because of the sudden firefight in it's vicinity =P

^Pretty much this.

GTA's AI always worked like this. AI will get "bored" if forced to wait behind another vehicle and go around (much like you would in the real world, to be fair). Sometimes, they will crash slightly into other vehicles and cops are fully aggressive - civilian hits a cop car, cop gets out and starts shooting. Because... yeah.

Civilians sometimes have guns, so they fire back, much like the cops would. Firefight breaks out and every time there's a gunshot near a vehicle, every vehicle in the vicinity just hits the gas and tries to drive through anything to get out as directly as possible. This usually causes more crashes.

Again though, this is the case in every single GTA game to date as far as I remember. You can even make it happen by slamming a car from behind into a cop car that's in front of it, the cops go crazy and shoot the hell out of the car that hit them.

crazygameguy4ever:

Actually, if you listen, you can hear that there's a gun fight going on in the street at the beginning and throughout. This is what causes all of the chaos, everyone wants to get the fuck away as fast as possible. I'd say it simulated chaos pretty nicely. The player definitely cherry picked the scene though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here