DayZ Price Increases by 15%, Immediately has "15% Off Sale" - Update

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

DayZ Price Increases by 15%, Immediately has "15% Off Sale" - Update

DayZ Standalone

DayZ is currently "on sale" on the Steam Store for the exact same price it was prior to the sale.

Update: Bohemia Interactive has responded to our request for comment. A spokesperson stated:

"As you mentioned we tried to describe the situation in the latest press release and in my view it's very clear: 'The current price of 23.99 EUR/29.99 USD will still be available during the Steam Fall sale', we aren't promising any special price or discount during the sale, we're just keeping the current price that's it. I'm very sorry if you understand this message wrong."

However, this doesn't really answer the question of why the game has the "15% off" tag, when as Bohemia itself stated, it isn't a "special price or discount".

Original Story: In what can be seen as a shady business move, DayZ developer Bohemia Interactive has raised the price of it's popular, early-access zombie survival title by 15%... and then immediately posted the game "on sale" for 15% off as part of the Steam Fall Sale. This essentially means that DayZ is now "on sale" for the exact same price that it was before the sale - a practice that is actually against the law in countries such as Australia and the UK.

In a press release, Bohemia explained the mark-up: "Along with the updates, you can expect a new price point for DayZ which will be 34.99 USD. This is part of a gradual price change as we progress with the development, and reach the goals that we set for the project. We would like to avoid a sudden increase in price once we hit the final release version. The current price of 23.99 EUR/29.99 USD will still be available during the Steam Fall sale. If you want to start surviving in DayZ, then now is the best time to get involved."

While the press release does clearly explain the gradual price increase and its reasoning, it is not made clear when users go to purchase the game on the Steam Store that its price had increased immediately prior to the sale.

Disregarding the legality of raising a game's price and then putting it on sale, the very fact that the price is being raised should be a concern to us. Usually, games become cheaper over time, not the other way around (with the exception of that whole Xenoblade Chronicles thing last year).

We have reached out to Bohemia for comment, as well as Australia and the UK's consumer watchdogs to inquire on the legality of the move.

Source: Gamasutra via reddit

Correction: Many people have pointed out that my math is, in fact, flawed, and an addition of 15% followed by a subtraction of 15% does not even itself out. For what it is worth, the game is technically "on sale" from its original price: it is $29.74 on Steam, meaning you save a whopping 25 cents off the pre-sale price.

So yeah. Fuck that. Not sure what else to say except to completely condemn practices like that.

Yeah, that's scummy. But I don't care. If people want to buy Early Access titles, let them. That subject's been covered a million times.

great way to make a sale feel "cheap". I doubt I will ever buy this game or any game these guys create from now on.

I donot agree with the comments on this post.

The game is still in early access. So its completely logical for the price to increase. It would be weird if early adopters are made to pay a higher price for a unfinished product. So for a early access game the prices should go up.

I think this is actually the best solution to Day Z's problem. If they go on sale now (and they absolutely have to, since it is a steam sale), they are essentially giving out the game at a cheaper rate for late adopters than early adopters. That is not how a early access game release should work. It needs to be completely opposite in early access where you encourage early adopters to buy the game by charging a lower cost. I think the developers made the completely right choice here and if I had already bought the game, I would be happy that the developer did this.

The problem is that for customers that don't know any better, they see the game on "sale" and buy it without realizing that it has been the same price all along. "Oh, DayZ is on Sale! I was thinking of getting that!"

It's dishonest advertising. They should have increased the price a week or so before the sale, and then lowered it again for the sale.

A 15% increase followed by a 15% decrease does not bring you to the same price. There is still a slight discount.

There's a four letter word used to describe people like that, but I can't quite remember what it was... It started with a "C" and ended with a "T"... I guess I'll go ask the drug-abusive Australians at the train station, they'll know what I'm talking about.

Isn't this pretty much what Minecraft did? In alpha it was about £10, beta £15 then at release it was £20, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe seeing as the game isn't officially released they can get away with things like this. Although I don't agree with it at all. It's a shame because I was planning on getting it once it released, but I probably won't now, unless it goes free to play or something.

If they are going to increase the price anyway, why not do it after the steam sale ends? Telling people that they are increasing the price and then putting it as "15% off" is just scummy in my opinion. It cheats those who wants to get the game on sale but don't follow the development process.

You don't have to put the game on sale even if now is the Steam winter sale...is it? Developers aren't forced by Steam to put their games on sale during this time right?

Steven Bogos:
is now "on sale" for the exact same price that it was before the sale - a practice that is actually against the law in countries such as Australia and the UK.

Considering I'm an Aussie, should I ring up the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and tell them about this?

Last time, the ACCC took Valve to court over shitty refund policies, and that was fun to watch.

CardinalPiggles:
Isn't this pretty much what Minecraft did? In alpha it was about £10, beta £15 then at release it was £20, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe seeing as the game isn't officially released they can get away with things like this. Although I don't agree with it at all. It's a shame because I was planning on getting it once it released, but I probably won't now, unless it goes free to play or something.

The thing is they are (trying to) fool the public in thinking they're getting a deal. Whether to get more sales or what. It's underhanded. There's no reason why they couldn't have kept the price exactly the same and then raised it after the fall sale. And it's -kind of- what they are doing, but they are passing it off as a deal. It's not.

It's brilliant from a marketing standpoint, but pretty shady..

Duder Dudeson:
A 15% increase followed by a 15% decrease does not bring you to the same price. There is still a slight discount.

I was just thinking that. 15% of the original price isn't the same amount as 15% of the new price.

Jiggle Counter:
There's a four letter word used to describe people like that, but I can't quite remember what it was... It started with a "C" and ended with a "T"... I guess I'll go ask the drug-abusive Australians at the train station, they'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm sure they will.

The game is shit anyway. I won't be buying it even if it was 95% off.

Duder Dudeson:

Yeah, I was about to say that as well, too many people just accepting bogus math. I get that's what you get for sourcing reddit.

Either way, normally I would be more than okay with an early access game price increase, but this does not sit right with me. This action is for sure not pro consumer, or else they could have just kept the game off sale like many other games and increased afterwards, or announced their "planned" price increase beforehand. Instead they're abusing people's up knowledge that was true until this incident. That knowledge being that a game on a big steam sale means it's on (keyword) sale for cheaper than it's price the moment before the steam sale. Steam isn't PSN where it doesn't update most days of the week, the developers can request updates and changes to the store page at practically any time. There's no excuse except for anti-consumer intent.

Being a US resident, I'm real jealous of actual consumer protection you seem to have in the UK/AUS, thought don't envy your prices. Can't win.

Edit: I'm bored so here's the math for those who are bad with basic percentages.

A +15% price increase from $30 (Rounded for simplicity) will increase the price by $4.50.
30*0.15 = 4.5

So the new price would be $34.50, not $34.99. Since it's a larger number 15 percent of 34.5 is going to be higher than 15 percent of 30, so:
34.5*0.15= 5.175.

So, if the title was true, the game would be on sale for $29.33. Either way, not really a sale and a blatant attempt to increase sales under false pretenses for a game that is progressing so slowly and poorly and slowly that even the original creator and main designer said "screw it" and left working on it.

That is... Utterly despicable. Go fuck yourself Bohemia, companies like you make me sick.

Omey:
I donot agree with the comments on this post.

The game is still in early access. So its completely logical for the price to increase. It would be weird if early adopters are made to pay a higher price for a unfinished product. So for a early access game the prices should go up.

I think this is actually the best solution to Day Z's problem. If they go on sale now (and they absolutely have to, since it is a steam sale), they are essentially giving out the game at a cheaper rate for late adopters than early adopters. That is not how a early access game release should work. It needs to be completely opposite in early access where you encourage early adopters to buy the game by charging a lower cost. I think the developers made the completely right choice here and if I had already bought the game, I would be happy that the developer did this.

But opinion aside, the real problem is its literally illegal to put a product on sale without having it at the undiscounted price for a period of time beforehand i many areas (21 days in my country or something like that I think)

Steven Bogos:

We have reached out to Bohemia for comment, as well as Australia and the UK's consumer watchdogs to inquire on the legality of the move.

Also, in regards to the legality of this in the United States, a case could actually be made against this particular scenario. It directly violates scenario (C) in FTC Regulations, Title 16, Chapter I, Subchapter B, Part 233, Section 233.1. Just a little law knowledge drop.

This is how great early access is. Instead of getting cheaper with age, a game gets more expensive as development drags on for an age.

I'm not sure what people in this thread are more bothered by.

The bogus sale or the bogus math in the article?

This marketing tactic has been used by big companies for ages. Tbh I am surprised that it's taken this long to work it's way into games

Depends what they do when the sale is over. If the price goes back, then yeah, questionable shit. If it stays up like they say it is, then it's not really a problem, it's just swapping out 'sale' with 'last chance to get the game at the old price before we raise it'.

Duder Dudeson:

Lol, you beat me too it. I was like... math doesn't work like that.

OT: I mean... so we are supposed to condone both the ridiculous practice of charging way more for early access and the practice of charging way less for early access. It honestly just makes sense to charge the release price for the game. That said, it does make more sense to charge less for early access to me, not that I am outright condoning anything. I mean... DayZ is one big griefing simulator, so they might as well grief with the price as well.

Guys, the problem isn't the price increase. Its the timing of it. They should've waited until after the steam sale, or done it before hand.

Steven Bogos:

Disregarding the legality of raising a game's price and then putting it on sale, the very fact that the price is being raised should be a concern to us. Usually, games become cheaper over time, not the other way around (with the exception of that whole Xenoblade Chronicles thing last year).

You are forgetting that this is still an in-development game and the cost is based on the phase of the game. Minecraft is the biggest example of this that I can recall. The game's Alpha version and Beta version were both far cheaper than the release version and each priced separately based on the progress of the game's development cycle. There's no reason to assume that this is a "weird thing" or "out of the norm" when in reality it's a product that is discounted for people that adapt to test the game and progress it's efforts to making it perfect for an official release.

I honestly wish that MMORPG's would adapt such a concept, however the issue is that people are clawing and clamoring to get into it's early versions to find as many exploits and issues with it as possible. Those people than take and scam their way to the top in the game's release.

Baresark:

Duder Dudeson:

Lol, you beat me too it. I was like... math doesn't work like that.

OT: I mean... so we are supposed to condone both the ridiculous practice of charging way more for early access and the practice of charging way less for early access. It honestly just makes sense to charge the release price for the game. That said, it does make more sense to charge less for early access to me, not that I am outright condoning anything. I mean... DayZ is one big griefing simulator, so they might as well grief with the price as well.

Duder Dudeson:

For all of those stating that my math is bad, i'm sorry, I was never really a math guy in school. For what it is worth, the game is actually "on sale" from its original price: it is $29.74 on steam, meaning you save a whopping 25 cents from the pre-sale price. The original point still stands.

Oh look another no brainer consumer protection law that helps make capitalism work for everyone that the US hasn't adopted from a E.U. country. I'd be mad but if i was I'd just go around infuriated at how broken U.S. consumer laws are 25/7, 365 days of the year. So I'll just mark it up to another reason to dig my heels in against Free Market capitalism and the Republicans and liberatarians that go bible thumping for it.

I'm reminded of the ridiculous specials you see at supermarkets, where the product receives such a derisory 'discount' that the price is rounded up to the original figure when it's time to pay the cashier.

Not surprised - they did annouce that prior full release, the game would get more and more expensive over time.

But they could've just waited until after the sale with that increase-sale.

Deathfish15:

You are forgetting that this is still an in-development game and the cost is based on the phase of the game. Minecraft is the biggest example of this that I can recall. The game's Alpha version and Beta version were both far cheaper than the release version and each priced separately based on the progress of the game's development cycle. There's no reason to assume that this is a "weird thing" or "out of the norm" when in reality it's a product that is discounted for people that adapt to test the game and progress it's efforts to making it perfect for an official release.

And lets all remind ourselves that Minecraft was the result of a bedroom programmer, created from scratch and not a fairly renowned Publisher/developer piggy backing on a mod.

Duder Dudeson:

I wanted to say that too. But when you calculate it, the "discount" is not worth debating the math. It's a shitty move.

So, who is going to be getting the ACCC sent after them? Valve or the developer? It sounds to me like it's the developer who's at fault, so it should probably be them.

Steven Bogos:

Usually games that aren't finished are cheap, because people buying into them are making a gamble. The reason the price goes up is because the game is becoming more feature complete.

You would be right about prices usually going down after release, but DayZ isn't finished, so the finished game hasn't been released yet. For that reason, it hasn't yet been sold at full price. This shouldn't be a surprise. Basically every game that has been sold early has worked this way. The ones that haven't have usually sold as a preorder (so you're still paying for what you're getting at release.)

The fact that DayZ is being sold cheap now is a good thing. Don't get finished games and unfinished games mixed up, because that's unprofessional.

I'm still not too pleased that I didn't know about the "no refunds" policy Steam has with regard to Early Access titles. Probably my own fault for missing a blurb somewhere, but it's kinda prompted me to never, ever, ever touch one of them again.

Otherwise, I'd have another 20 something dollars from my stupid purchase of DayZ in my account to otherwise spend recklessly on unneeded items...or food. Food would be good.

Sad state of affairs, indeed.

So, with this new thing? Fuck 'em. Twice.

"How dare they give me a game that is cheaper than what it should be in the first place but then pretend like theres a sale when it should be a sale price of the already arbitrary price that it is, I'm entitled!" - People everywhere

I'm confused

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or