Broken Age: Act 2 Pushed to 2015

Broken Age: Act 2 Pushed to 2015

broken age concept

The second half of Double Fine's Kickstarted adventure Broken Age is currently in alpha testing.

Nearly a year after the launch of Broken Age: Act 1--and almost three years since Double Fine's record-breaking Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the game--Tim Schafer's development studio has officially announced that the second half of the game won't be coming this year. The news was posted on both the Kickstarter backer forums and Double Fine's public forum, with administrator Greg Rice explaining the current state of Broken Age's development.

"The key milestone being that just last week we hit Alpha on both Shay and Vella's halves of Act 2, leaving just the big finale section until we can say the entirety of Act 2 is at Alpha!" Rice wrote. Additionally, voice recording is almost finished, as "next week Tim is headed down to LA for the final major recording session with Vella, and at that point we'll have pro VO for all of the remaining cutscenes ready so that animators can start taking them to final!" Double Fine is aiming to have all of Act 2 completed and in alpha by the end of this year, which naturally means it won't be released until 2015. "As you may have guessed based on recent updates and documentary episodes, the Act 2 ship that will deliver the complete adventure is now looking like it will be early next year... we just gotta give the game the time it needs to really deliver on everything we're hoping it will be," according to Rice.

This isn't the first time development on Broken Age has hit a snag; the game was split on half because Double Fine lacked the funds to release the full version, despite raising well over its initial goal of $400,000. With only about a month left in 2014 and no release date in sight, this probably doesn't come as a huge surprise, but it's a bit disappointing to see one of gaming's biggest Kickstarter successes progress so slowly.

Source: Double Fine via Polygon

I am disappoint. Especially considering the last release date was "Q4 2014". Come and gone and the only news is "We're finally in Alpha!"

Double Fine is on Valve Time now.

I already bought act 1, but I'm not buying anything else DF makes until it's at final release.

As I'm a backer and I watch the update videos, I saw that coming. They were trying for a December release but you could see it was almost impossible.

A shame, but if it means a better game, then I'm OK with waiting.

I don't mind waiting. I have tons of games to play anyway. >_>

I am looking forward to the release, though. If for no other reason so certain individuals will stop complaining about the lack of a release and move on to complaining about how long it took and how underwhelming it was. Or something. <_<

I'm waiting for the announcement in 2015 that part 2 is complete and that the "big finale" section is coming a year and a Kickstarter later.

What have they been doing for the past year? Sitting on their hands, throwing away Kickstarter money and releasing/cancelling Spacebase DF-9? You don't just start a episodic franchise and then refuse to develop for it.

... oh yeah

Dalisclock:

No, because Valve spend their own money when they're on Valve time, Double Fine take everyone's money and only then do they start actually doing something by the looks of it.

As perverse as this sounds now, I actually feel sympathy for Bobby Kotick and the way he kicked Double Fine and Brutal Legend to the curb nowadays. Six years ago it seemed like an ass hole doing an ass holey thing, now I can see him sat in his office on the phone asking exactly how much of Activision's money Tim Schafer blew this time and does anyone actually expect them to sell any copies of whatever he's spending a Call of Duty's worth of money making.

Of course, I'm still not fond of Mr Kotick, but in this specific circumstance.

fix-the-spade:

As perverse as this sounds now, I actually feel sympathy for Bobby Kotick and the way he kick Double Fine and Brutal Legend to the curb nowadays. Six years ago it seemed like an ass hole doing an ass holey thing, now I can see him sat in his office on the phone asking exactly how much of Activision's money Tim Schafer blew this time and does anyone actually expect them to sell any copies of whatever he's spending a Call of Duty's worth of money making.

Schafer is like Molyneux -- he can make decent to great games, but has no concept of the business side at all. Recent Double Fine work is what would happen if no one held down Molyneux to a schedule or budget. Also Godus from 22 cans which *is* Molyneux going at it without someone to hold him to a schedule or budget.

Schadrach:

fix-the-spade:

As perverse as this sounds now, I actually feel sympathy for Bobby Kotick and the way he kick Double Fine and Brutal Legend to the curb nowadays. Six years ago it seemed like an ass hole doing an ass holey thing, now I can see him sat in his office on the phone asking exactly how much of Activision's money Tim Schafer blew this time and does anyone actually expect them to sell any copies of whatever he's spending a Call of Duty's worth of money making.

Schafer is like Molyneux -- he can make decent to great games, but has no concept of the business side at all. Recent Double Fine work is what would happen if no one held down Molyneux to a schedule or budget. Also Godus from 22 cans which *is* Molyneux going at it without someone to hold him to a schedule or budget.

How is Godus going? Is that guy who won the contest to be the "God" of it who seemed kind of apathetic about the whole thing still involved?

I'm just waiting for them to inevitably ask for more kickstarter money in order to continue development.

Kotick was right and you shouldn't have given Schafer 2 million dollars.

fix-the-spade:
No, because Valve spend their own money when they're on Valve time, Double Fine take everyone's money and only then do they start actually doing something by the looks of it.

Did you support their original Kickstarter?

fix-the-spade:

Dalisclock:

You do understand that the whole point of the kickstarter was to make a documentary of the game's development right? It would make no sense with that in mind to have a game that's 2/3 done and then start documenting... They wanted to show the whole process, warts and all. And they've done exactly that. They literally started from scratch without even an idea in mind for the game because that was the whole point of their project. So to insult them because they didn't start this game until they got the money is kind of silly isn't it?

Also note that this was only for Broken Age. MASSIVE CHALICE started out with a much more focused pitch. They already knew what they were making and approximately how it would work. They had some concept art already done. And the game is already content complete and available in early access/backer beta to play from start to finish. They're just polishing bugs and balance at this point.

I feel sorry for those who supported Space Base, but that game wasn't getting the funding it needed so they had to cut it. Double Fine ended up losing money in the development of that game and they had no more funds to support it.But that's the thing with Early Access: if you aren't going to be happy with the game how it is then don't pay for it because it's not guaranteed to get better or even finished if they can't get the funding for it.

This is why people still don't like episodic gaming...

Laggyteabag:
What have they been doing for the past year?

DJing with phil fish

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/396832829990268928

Double fine being late, prematurely ending development of titles, blowing through their budget in a fraction of a time it was meant to last, needing more money, still organizing expensive parties and still developing from the super expensive SF area. Business as usual. And after the spacebase DF9 situation I doubt they will improve.

Double Fine is just bad with money.

Maze1125:
Did you support their original Kickstarter?

No, because it lacked any kind of detailed forecasting on their budget and what they were intending to make looked more or less impossible to do in seven months on $400k. As it turns out my feelings were justified, we're now looking at three years and five and a bit million dollars.

So far I've put crowd funding money into Star Citizen, Planetary Annihilation and Elite: Dangerous. They've all turned out pretty well, even if SC turns out to stink it's been an ambitious and risky project that's treated it's backers pretty well so far.

JediMB:
I don't mind waiting. I have tons of games to play anyway. >_>

I am looking forward to the release, though. If for no other reason so certain individuals will stop complaining about the lack of a release and move on to complaining about how long it took and how underwhelming it was. Or something. <_<

Well, part of this is that I really like the games DF makes, for the most part(though Iron Brigade felt kind of unpolished and too dependent on co-op for me). I enjoyed The Cave despite the fact that apparently nobody else did and Brutal Legend was so much fun even if it did have issues.

Then there is the fact that half the game was already done, so it would seem that the base assets are already there to work with, which means making the 2nd half should be easy in comparison. And yet, for the longest time, there was a very vague estimate(late 2014) of when part 2 was going to be completed, which has now been pushed to another vague date (Early 2015).
Somehow I think that Broken Age Part 2 isn't going to show up until around summer 2015, at the earliest, because once Spring 2015 rolls around(and it's already past the "done" date), suddenly it'll be "I know the game was supposed to be out by now, but we've just hit Beta! Also, we need more money. It all disappeared because of....money gnomes".
Waiting till after the projected release date and saying "We just hit Alpha!" like it's some kind of amazing achievement is not encouraging. Instead it makes it look like you don't know what you're doing or you're hiding something.

Finally, there's the whole fact that BA ended on a rather large cliffhanger, and if there's anything Valve fans know, it's a really bad idea to end something on a cliffhanger and then start slipping on the release dates for the resolution, because then the fan base starts getting grouchy.

Schafer can't keep to a schedule or a budget when he's not being watched over, what else is new?

Goddamn Tim. How much more can you fuck up? Blow your $3.3 million making the first half of the game, host an expensive open-door party 2 years in a row, cancel Spacebase DF9 development, fire a dozen employees, now this? Double Fine is in desperate need of someone to manage the money.

3 years isn't slow for a small indie dev team.

Kickstarter doesn't come with deadlines, that's the point.

Breathe, people. Everyone on the DF forums who actually pledged to the Kickstarter is extremely supportive and greeted this news with a "yay!" and people on other websites who have no stake in the project whatsoever say it's an outrage.

Y'all mo'fuggas want indie products on a AAA schedule.

Harry Mason:
3 years isn't slow for a small indie dev team.

Kickstarter doesn't come with deadlines, that's the point.

Breathe, people. Everyone on the DF forums who actually pledged to the Kickstarter is extremely supportive and greeted this news with a "yay!" and people on other websites who have no stake in the project whatsoever say it's an outrage.

Y'all mo'fuggas want indie products on a AAA schedule.

Its logical to expect a smaller product to be produced in a timely manner.

Oh, and I pledged, btw. Don't generalize me.

I get the impression I get to be that one guy and say "yeah I kickstarted it". I did the big one laid down $100. Am I bothered? Naw not really. I got all the merch I was supposed to though I think they took a loss on it.

To be honest I haven't even played the first part. I'm willing to wait until it's done. Too much backlog anyway. I followed the videos for a while. For the those not there from the beginning the purpose of the campaign wasn't to make a game but to film a documentary of the development of the game. When the shit hit the fan and it blew up to 3 mill or whatever they decided they owed it to us to re-evaluate the campaign spend all the money on the game. Things got complicated, game became bigger than what they were prepared for it was all mismanaged pretty badly at first. I think they got together now and it sounds like they'll be done soon. The campaign proved that kickstarter is not necessarily a scam, but it also showed Tims business sense is pretty bad. Brians wasteland 2 project actually hit all it's deadlines fairly ok but the difference is wasteland was completed on paper and built in such a way that they could complete the core of the game and branch out as needed.

I would have liked Tim to have completed the work on paper before the campaign. The problem is that again that aspect of making the game had to be part of the campaign. No pre-work could be done and it all still be authentic. How do you storyboard out a game for X$. Well you don't that's the issue and trap that Tim fell into. You board out a concept then price it then go and redo it.

My advice as a backer of a couple different campaigns, all successful. Know and understand what your money is for. Shadowgate, Paper Sorcerer, Shadowrun Returns and wasteland have been completed though PS hasn't shipped my boxed copy yet. In each case the games were partially completed on paper and and software and needed founding for completion.

I recommend joining those kickstarters. If you're kickstarting an idea buyer beware.

You know, I'd be willing to be a bit more sympathetic if Tim Schafer wasn't a complete asshole.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/352895106212306945

Essentially, it just seems like he's blowing away any respect he's built up over the years and doing so in a way that garners the most money as possible.

It is a bit disappointing to see the game delayed again. It would have been nice if they kept more to the original vision of the kickstarter, a more original SCUMM type adventure game. That said, I liked Broken Age Part 1, just wish the puzzles had been more difficult.

The Lunatic:
You know, I'd be willing to be a bit more sympathetic if Tim Schafer wasn't a complete asshole.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/352895106212306945

Essentially, it just seems like he's blowing away any respect he's built up over the years and doing so in a way that garners the most money as possible.

Nice going linking a twitter post from over a year ago. I think Tim has gotten a bit more humble since then.

It'll come when it'll come, and it'll be good.

People pretending to be analysts and complaining about everything is vastly more annoying.

People would get impatient with all game development studios if they knew the moment a project started like they do with a Kickstarter funded game. This is why studios don't reveal their upcoming games until they're nearing completion (and why unforeseen setbacks after their announcement are such a disaster).

If the community wants crowd-funded games, they need to learn a little patience (something they've been trained by big corporations to abandon to generate preorder and day 1 sales).

There needs to be someone at Double Fine that watches the money pile and when Tim Schafer reaches for more, he smacks him with a rolled up newspaper and tells him to work on the game.

$3.45 million and you still haven't finished the game. I have seen Fan made games that are made with no money be completed faster than this. I know Tim Schafer is a great creator, but he desperately needs somebody to take control of the finances.

Harry Mason:

Because the fans are, and I hate using this word biased. This behaviour is complete BS BUT if it was something or someone I was a big fan of I'd have the same feelings of "Just as long as I get it!" and "If I throw more money at you will that fix the problem?" Basically The Goon movie. If they came out and said they needed a second kickstarter I would just set up a direct debit.

3.3 million dollars well spent, HAH!

Well I am willing to wait. I know that under Australian Consumer Law that if they fail to deliver Act 2 then I am guaranteed to get a refund anyway

I'm Kinda disappointed overall in the whole process, because so far 3 over big name kick-starters which have had equal amounts of success have shipped quite successfully, and we're still waiting for the second half of a game that was broken in two due to Double Fine's inability to work within in a budget. That and it is kinda uninspiring (especially to someone who backed the game like me) that they throw the same big party two years in a row with Phil Fish being the fucking DJ, and that guy is a class A Dick. and they've stopped the episodes of documentary, they've barely released a new one in months. I didn't want to feel like Tim schafer was banking on the goodwill he has from his previous games, but after all this business, It's the feeling you get when you leave the room. ahhh well, not falling for that bullshit again.

Tim and the people he hangs out with (eg DJ Fish) are not only un-professional, they seem to take pride in it. I lost all faith in Tim when I saw the way he behaved towards his fans, and the way he kept using indie as an excuse.

Speaking as a backer, I would be very surprised if BA2 comes out in 2015, if ever.

Here's the thing about the crowd-funded model that I think a lot of these developers aren't fully comprehending yet and are about to realize soon.

You are selling a product from the minute you start early-access distribution. That product is your good-will with the community.

Kickstarter is supposed to be that. A "kick-start" for small, but reputable groups to get some funds and then become self-sustaining.

Instead, we see the same people coming back again and again and again. Why are they not self-sustaining by now?

And I strongly suspect that Tim will realize this very quickly if he continues to soak up money without actually delivering any products.

I mean, look at how he is treated around this site now versus five years ago. You never hear the same admiration of "Oh, he's a game design genius. IF ONLY he could get proper funding."

I loved the first half of Broken Age and will happily wait for the second half.

I own Space Base and sad its been reduced in development but not bitter, got it cheap in a stema sale as its exsistance upto that point had slipped my by(probally the problem it was having maknig money) but its still a fun game and I enjoy palying it.

Also I own Massive Chalace which is also good... so in all honestly three good games, maybe not everything dreamed of but i'm a realist that reads and understands enough of how games are made and what constraints are placed upon the development of them and yup Double Fine have struggled with innovating new ways to fund games development, but they making pretty good games even if sadly not everything is totally perfect its better than assasin's creed who charged you double or more than any Double Fine game and made a big pile of toss :P

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.