Windows 8.1 is Finally More Popular than Windows XP

Pages PREV 1 2

It's incredible just how many people bash windows 8/8.1 without ever trying it, or trying it at a store for 5 minutes and going "Ew different"

What's better about the start bar over metro? Like thumbing through a narrow list of icons or folders that expand into icons vs all your software laid out on the screen with big icons? Even if you don't like metro, 5 second google search will have you with a start bar instead.

Windows 8 is better than 7, it's lighter, it's faster, it has a LOT of functionality that no one seems to even know about.

When I upgraded my PC I slapped my HDD into the new bits and was ready to have to install windows again as per normal with new hardware. Windows 8.1 instead refitted itself automatically for my new hardware and away I went just having to get drivers. Need to format and reinstall windows? You can just revert windows without all the mess. It's just flat out nicer and smooth.

Compatibility issues? Not one game, piece of software I've seen has had any issue with 8 not saying it's not possible but the way others say you'd think that Windows 8 couldn't run anything 7 did yet I can play 10 year old games with no issue. I mean if you have some software issues, fair enough again- not saying it's not happening.

Before you comment, yes I have it on a touch screen device (Surface Pro 2) but I've had it on my desktop well before I owned the Surface Pro 2. Five minutes of learning and it's second nature now and that shitty taskbar is now annoying to use with a mouse or finger.

i can understand why, 8.1 is not bad when you install start8 it works just like windows 7.

I went back to 7 to get my bluetooth adapter working that i never use so it was kind of a waste of time will install it again at some point.

Everyone knows however that the best Microsoft OS was Xenix as its there own unix based OS :P.

Good MS OS.
DOS,WIn98SE,Win2k,XPSP3,7,8.1( with start8)
Bad
All others

my favourites are still 2k and 7 :)

Barely even a month ago I got a new machine with Win 7. No regrets as the UI of Win 8 looks appalling. I just hope that the rumors of Win 7 not supporting DX 12 are just that. If i absolutely must, I'll upgrade to Win 10 when it comes out, but I really like Win 7's UI.

XP had to fall out of use sooner or later. It does not support a lot of newer function, has security holes big enough to drive a Mack truck through and sooner or later business software devs are going to flat out refuse to write code for it. the only reason business clients stuck with it as long as they did was the cost of upgrading thousands of machines at once and hiring IT to convert all the workstations.

I really don't quite understand the consumer holdouts. The OS barely holds water for web browsing these days and forget about doing any kind of modern gaming being held back to DX 9. I'm thinking about trying to talk my future mother in law into going Win 7 on her home computer but I doubt that that is feasible outside of getting a new one. She uses it mainly as media storage for her photography hobby I think and possibly for her card making as well so I have not really pushed the issue as long as I am able to clear their virus attacks out myself. Their laptop died about a month ago and that was the only semi modern machine they had. A new cheap web browsing desktop might be a gift idea for them next year.

captcha: no friend of mine

heh heh, captcha took the words right out of my mouth as I hated seeing Win xp machines as much as Vista machines when I was doing tech support.

8 or 8.1 for that matter can't hold a candle to XP or even 7 really. From my experience it is slow and riddled compatibility issues, most things I have to run in win7 compatibility and/or admin rights ticked, even though I am the bloody system admin, not to mention all idiotic "security" loops. Recently the damn thing did an update to 8.1 without even asking and to no surprise it brought no improvements.
Aesthetics wise, i have no real problem with 8, the sodding functionality is the issue

That would probably be because Microsoft forces you to upgrade to 8.1 if you have 8 these days, and you can't buy laptops with Windows 7 anymore. Believe me, I am using Windows 8.1, but I have never used that shitty fucking excuse for a start screen. I installed a program called Classic Shell that basically puts the home button back where it goes and makes the Windows button open up the old version of start menu, I think it's like shift windows or ctrl windows to open up the Windows 8 menu.

Frankly, if this laptop had come with Windows 7, I would have had far less issues and be a lot happier compared to my experiences with the imitation Windows 7 that still has the problems of Windows 8.1. Is a sad world when Microsoft things that everyone should have to update to their shitty OS they made for phones and tablets.

RicoADF:

BeerTent:
Edit: Source on that? Nothing in A+ suggests that Windows 8 has any particular design to prefer SSD over the old platter drives.

No source, it is just a theory based on experience. As I stated in the first post my mate and I had 3 laptops which all came with 8 and were running slowly and we had compatibility issues with. First thing I tried was removing the extra crap that the system came with which helped somewhat but we still found it awkward and performing sub par.

When he wiped his laptops and put 7 on them the issues went away. There are a few possibilities (or a mixture of them) that I figured had something to do with it:
- Even though I had uninstalled the extra software it could have left crap behind
- Being a pre-install the laptops had the recovery partition, I recall reading having multiple partitions on a hard drive slows its performance and I always avoid splitting a hardrive.
- They all had hard drives while the weaker ATIV has SSD/memory and didn't have the performance (but still has compatibility) issues, since it also is pre-built with the above 2 points that leaves the storage as the most likely cause of the increase in performance.

The fact that 7 worked better on the other's is where the idea of 8 being optimised for SSD came about and when you consider it was built with tablets in mind it does make sense that they would optimise the OS to run on these drives, esp since even laptops/desktops are going that way.

You gotta keep in mind, SSD doesn't seek, or search. It's basically instant. No matter what OS you use on that thing, load times are going to almost be nonexistent because most of the time, your load times are not the result of speeds of your hardware, but the result of just trying to find the information on the platters. This is why defragmentation is helpful, because it reduces the search by moving each file in one location, instead of scattering it everywhere. To SSD, it's just right there. No need to whirr up the engines, no need to look around, it's just there.

No matter what you put on that weaker unit, your load times are likely going to be relatively the same. Depending on what you're doing, it'll outperform the other units. Games that are gigabytes large that require having that information stored in RAM as it reaches new areas (Think WoW, AssCreed, Freelancer) will simply run faster on the SSD.

Odds are, it's this point. "- Even though I had uninstalled the extra software it could have left crap behind" The software that manufacturers throw on there is practically malicious.

As for partitioning? For platter drives, it gives a negligible increase in performance. Depending on how it's partitioned, IN THEORY, it can increase performance. But because we have no control over it's physical location on the disk, there really is no way to tell if it'll increase or decrease. If it sways in either direction, you likely wouldn't feel it. It just makes life easier for the inevitable format. Some say it reduces the life of the Disk, but I've had a disk that's been failing SMART for years. No change.

you can align the partitions to the sector of a platter drive that will give you a boot in performance but its more noticeable when doing stuff like ZFS thats why 4k sector drive can sometimes be a problem.

Windows 8.1 fixed just about every single major problem with 8, and the Windows 10 Technical Preview makes it even better than that. XP was okay for its day, Vista was the worst, 7 was a godsend, 8 was as bad as Vista, but seriously, 8.1 is really friggin' rad. Once you have 8.1 it's just a few clicks away from 10, which is even better than /that/. It looks a little bit like this:

The snapping windows introduced in 7 have been improved further, with more sizes and places to snap to, such as a pane in each corner. After snapping one window (In this case, I snapped the Skype App to the top right; oh, hey, Apps aren't full screen anymore :P), it intelligently brings up a list of other windows you might want to snap to the remaining space. In addition to that there are other wonderful things, like, oh I donno, the freaking start menu. I can resize each of those buttons to any size I want, and I can click and drag the edges of the menu to be as tall or as wide as I want. I can easily pin and search and everything you could ever want from a start menu.

Also there on the bottom, to the right of the Windows symbol and magnifying glass, the two white boxes overlapping each other? That's Multiple Desktops. I hit that button and I can easily add another desktop that can have its own instances of windows and programs running alongside your primary. I don't believe there's a limit on how many desktops you can have. There's also a keyboard shortcut to easily slide between your desktops.

I also thought I'd mention the desktop now has a notification menu like the one here on Facebook. It integrates notifications from your apps, programs, updates, and the OS, etc. There are also dozens of other little improvements and enhancements that really make this the best friggin' version of Windows of all time.

Snotnarok:
It's incredible just how many people bash windows 8/8.1 without ever trying it, or trying it at a store for 5 minutes and going "Ew different"

Given the amount of people who DO have it, I would say the sentiment was "I heard complaints from X about how this works and what's wrong with it.". Information about issues were likely passed by word of mouth and that is your sale-killer more than it just being 'different'.

People do realize that you can switch to the normal desktop layout we are all suited to right? after a while Windows 8 will just open in that window and you never have to bother with the other side of it.

I thought 8 was gonna be shit, but having used it for a few month i can instantly say it is better than 7 or XP. Hands down.

This has nothing to do with popularity and everything down to a lack of choice. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. New PC's purchased from large retail stores come pre-loaded with windows 8.1, meaning that if you wanted 7, you'd be paying extra money and installing it on your own.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
*looks at OS version* Oh dear, I must be a bad or stupid person because I have 8.1... *looks at the difference in games performance on the old install of 7 and now* A jump in framerates, a significant drop in CTDs (if zero isn't significant, I don't know what is) AND all my legacy game installs work just fine?
What am I doing right that so many other folks aren't?

Captcha: Nul points

Well Inglip, you're right... I'm a Win 8.1 user so anything I have to say is automatically disregarded anyway.

I don't know what Windows you're running, but everyone I've talked to has had horrific problems with Windows 8. My brother can't play Fallout New Vegas because it keeps crashing and corrupting his save files, and another friend has a somewhat well-used midi plugged into his, and anytime it's bumped even slightly and gets a connection error, his entire computer hard crashes.

Ever since I started using GOG, I haven't had problems with any legacy games, framerates, for me, have always been about hardware more than software, and I haven't had a single game CTD unless it was a poorly-coded indie game or I was doing something silly with it (like running a ton of mods, some of which may have been poorly coded or conflicting).

Sol_HSA:
This article has a pretty graph, even if it's a bit old by now:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/27/adoption-of-os-x-109-mavericks-significantly-outpaces-108-mountain-lion

Oh, thanks. I guess Leopard and and anything below is loosing their share faster than I thought. My old Powermac G5 is now officially a fossil. At least it's still a good footrest.

kaiiboraka:
The snapping windows introduced in 7 have been improved further, with more sizes and places to snap to, such as a pane in each corner. After snapping one window (In this case, I snapped the Skype App to the top right; oh, hey, Apps aren't full screen anymore :P), it intelligently brings up a list of other windows you might want to snap to the remaining space. In addition to that there are other wonderful things, like, oh I donno, the freaking start menu. I can resize each of those buttons to any size I want, and I can click and drag the edges of the menu to be as tall or as wide as I want. I can easily pin and search and everything you could ever want from a start menu.

Oh, thank God someone with a brain is working on Win 10. I use 7's snap feature fairly often, usually to the point I have windows for Sketchup, notepad for typing gcode and an unrelated youtube video going, or a game, a text file guide/map, and a randon video going. It makes a single monitor setup much more versatile. Win 8's snap in metro was horrible, but I never really got a chance to experiment in desktop mode.

Also there on the bottom, to the right of the Windows symbol and magnifying glass, the two white boxes overlapping each other? That's Multiple Desktops. I hit that button and I can easily add another desktop that can have its own instances of windows and programs running alongside your primary. I don't believe there's a limit on how many desktops you can have. There's also a keyboard shortcut to easily slide between your desktops.

So, MS finally introduced an excellent feature that's been apart of most Unix and Linux systems for over a decade. I like not having to install third party stuff for what is basic functionality in competing OSes.

fix-the-spade:

erbkaiser:
It's probably also that business are finally migrating away from XP, now that it is out of support and a security risk. They are unable to buy Windows 7 as Microsoft forces everyone to go to Windows 8.1.

That's not true, if you yell at Microsoft long enough they'll sell you Windows 7 still, when the phrase 'Windows 7 or we'll be unable to renew our contract' comes up it's miraculously available.

Win 7 still has better compatibility modes, so on that here and quietly hoping that the skip from 8 to 10 means that 10 breaks the tradition of even numbers Windows being awful.

Microsoft has placed hurdles in the way of obtaining Windows 7. PC retailers often create computers that are pre-loaded with Win8 and charge additional fees to install win7 instead.

So I'm going to agree with erbkaiser here. XP is a security risk that requires an upgrade, win7 is harder to obtain than win8.

I'm currently using 7, the only reason i stopped using XP was the switch from 32 to 64 bit, i hated 7 to begin with but now i find it ok, there are still a few minor features from XP that i miss.
New versions of Windows don't offer anything to me, the experienced user, it's all catering to people who have never used a computer before, that wouldn't be a problem if it didn't negatively impact how i use a computer at the same time.

I have no intention of "upgrading", but they're probably going to force me to at some point and i doubt i'll enjoy it.

Woo-hoo! The OS they've been trying to sell on nearly every new PC for the past two years is finally doing better than the decade-old OS they no longer sell or support! Break out the champagne! [/sarcasm]

I'm running a dual-boot XP (for backwards compatibility) and Vista 64 system (don't blame me, I assembled it not long before 7 came out.) My wife has 8 on her laptop, and I don't want that thing near any computer I have to use on a daily basis.

I'm hopeful that big M has gotten the rocks out of their head on Windows 10, but not optimistic. They need to shovel down the crow like there's no tomorrow, and I don't think they have it in them.

Penny Arcade put it pretty succinctly:

As far as i'm aware only old machines and offices still use XP and 8 is a solid OS as long as you ignore all that touch menu crap which i havent even bothered to learn how to navigate through, except for alt + f4, that combo works perfectly for it.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
*looks at OS version* Oh dear, I must be a bad or stupid person because I have 8.1... *looks at the difference in games performance on the old install of 7 and now* A jump in framerates, a significant drop in CTDs (if zero isn't significant, I don't know what is) AND all my legacy game installs work just fine?
What am I doing right that so many other folks aren't?

Witchcraft? I'll fetch a priest.

But seriously, the people I know with Windows 8 are having no end of problems. In fact, I'm often the one they come to. I don't know what you're doing, but you're definitely getting better results than literally everyone I know.

...now what's keeping the priest?

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Snip

Ah, so sarcasm over informative discussion will serve you better, eh? I'm not so sure. I mean, if you wanted any other reaction other than annoyance or being ignored, it wasn't really the right move to make. If you have a point to make about Windows 8, you should make one.

I'm on 8.1. I thought I would hate it but it grows on you. All my games work just fine including early xp games and a abused and heavily modded install of new Vegas. Vista is still the worst imo.

FalloutJack:

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Snip

Ah, so sarcasm over informative discussion will serve you better, eh? I'm not so sure. I mean, if you wanted any other reaction other than annoyance or being ignored, it wasn't really the right move to make. If you have a point to make about Windows 8, you should make one.

Sure its a bit of snark, I'll agree. From years of using Windows and having a lot less problems than I hear about. I don't know if that comes from years of PC diagnostics/troubleshooting and repair experience (my primary job is a self-employed PC tech), or just that I'm very lucky when it comes to installing Windows. I just mean that miraculously I've not had as many horrible issues with various windows copies as I've heard people complain about.
It does strike me as odd that people tout XP as the pinnacle of Windows OS releases when it wasn't absolutely stable for a good portion of its support-life until SP2 was released. It amazes me that people forget Win98 was a default for so many gamers back in the early 2000's. SP2 didn't come about til 2004, and I do remember a lot of folks still were leery of switching from 98 because of XP issues.
I myself ran Win2k for many years, only because I'd had an MCSE in 2k and knew that OS like the back of my hand.
I personally never liked XP, and SP3 made a lot of people I did work for angry because it fucked up a lot of PC peripherals. I remember more service calls from that release era than any other time because of those problems, and reinstalled XP for more people in that era than I'd ever done for previous Windows releases.
Vista came out and I decided to give it a go, and it worked great for me aside from the memory leakage. Windows 7 has probably been the best release, though arguably it was just Windows Vista's post-beta release IMO.
On the subject of 8.1, I've had it a little while now and again I don't know why I can get things to work in it where others are having massive issues. I guess my initial post is more of a dig at myself for being lucky or some form of Windows wizard than intended to be snarky towards others... like saying "well this is what its like to be a minority in the PC world" in that people probably won't believe me so I'll just default to sarcasm.

I have an 8.1 laptop and a 7 desktop PC. Neither of which are touchscreen. I can't adequately describe why, but I prefer 8.1 to 7. I find the start menu more intuitive in 8.1, and I generally spend less time looking through menus.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Snip

Well, I know a thing or two about crazy-good luck. The thing to recognize is that your experiences aren't the norm, so it would seem you have indeed shared in some good fortune on the matter of computers. Take credit for it if ya want, but just remember that the reality is that most people are unhappy with it, just the same.

TopazFusion:
[Citation needed]

Very funny. But just out of curiosity, which part?

TopazFusion:

FalloutJack:

TopazFusion:
[Citation needed]

Very funny. But just out of curiosity, which part?

Whenever you make the claim of "most people", you usually need to back that up with some sources or citations.

Because I agree with everything Imperioratorex Caprae said. I've been very happy with Windows 8.1
I've experienced improved stability and speed over 7, and I very much appreciate the extra features 8.1 offers such as an improved Task Manager, and the ability to natively mount ISO files.

I've never had any driver or hardware issues, and all of my software still runs fine.

A fair enough thing to say, but do I really need to field that one in a thread whose title implies that only now does this version of Windows seem worth more than XP (which is old), though not Windows 7? It is the same as saying that a car which was recalled to the factory for various reasons now stands tall and proud with a reliable model that was on the market three years ago, and yet still having to catch up with last year's sports car. Nevertheless, your candor on the matter is appreciated.

TopazFusion:

FalloutJack:
A fair enough thing to say, but do I really need to field that one in a thread whose title implies that only now does this version of Windows seem worth more than XP (which is old), though not Windows 7? It is the same as saying that a car which was recalled to the factory for various reasons now stands tall and proud with a reliable model that was on the market three years ago, and yet still having to catch up with last year's sports car. Nevertheless, your candor on the matter is appreciated.

That still doesn't translate to "most people are unhappy with it".

Many people may not've even tried Windows 8.1, or they may not've purchased a new computer recently, or any number of other possibilities.

Ah, but I feel I must count those who have not bought it (or at least a significant chunk of those who didn't) on the grounds that they could be a case of 'did not WANT to buy' for various reasons that would make them unhappy. You can still be unsatisfied with a product without having bought it in the first place. It would be fair to say that finding the product undesirable is one of the oldest staples for not buying anything. For instance, Windows 8 is. of course. known for its tablet function. This is something anybody can know without ever having touched it and anybody who simply does not want a tablet function is an instant No. This would also apply towards anyone who already has a tablet and is in no market for a computer to follow suit.

Even still, I am in no way denying that there are exceptions to the rule. I use to run Windows ME without issue. This was awesome, but I couldn't deny the laundry list of bugs spoken to me in the past by other tech-savvy people (especially when using the internet, it seems). Like I said, I have some experience with crazy luck.

TopazFusion:
That still doesn't translate to "most people are unhappy with it".

Many people may not've even tried Windows 8.1, or they may not've purchased a new computer recently, or any number of other possibilities.

Although this is for Windows 8 preview I doubt the stats would change much for Windows 8 and unlikely to improve alot for 8.1, on this website it says that more than half are dissatisfied and would not recommend it to a friend.

Source:
http://www.techhive.com/article/251490/windows_8_survey_half_who_have_tried_the_os_wouldnt_recommend_it.html

I use Windows 7 and am sticking with it for the foreseeable future. Sure, Windows 8 does have a few improvements under the hood but they can't begin to make up for the sheer terribleness of the interface. Hot corners and that ridiculous "charms bar" are a terrible idea for mouse users, as was the idea of putting different OS options in multiple different places instead of keeping them all together.

Let's see, I run Windows 7, Windows 8.1, OS X 10.8, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04, CentOS 7 and a few versions of Android on some devices. I'm not counting VMs or dual boot.

I'm running Windows 8.1. It's solid, boots really fast, runs fast and doesn't crash. I have no need for the start menu, I look for my files and start my programs by just typing in whatever I want. I have to admit I did get one Windows 7 style add-on, and that is gadgets. It's just really nice to have weather and a clock on your desktop.

FalloutJack:

Ah, but I feel I must count those who have not bought it (or at least a significant chunk of those who didn't) on the grounds that they could be a case of 'did not WANT to buy' for various reasons that would make them unhappy. You can still be unsatisfied with a product without having bought it in the first place. It would be fair to say that finding the product undesirable is one of the oldest staples for not buying anything. For instance, Windows 8 is. of course. known for its tablet function. This is something anybody can know without ever having touched it and anybody who simply does not want a tablet function is an instant No. This would also apply towards anyone who already has a tablet and is in no market for a computer to follow suit.

Even still, I am in no way denying that there are exceptions to the rule. I use to run Windows ME without issue. This was awesome, but I couldn't deny the laundry list of bugs spoken to me in the past by other tech-savvy people (especially when using the internet, it seems). Like I said, I have some experience with crazy luck.

I sometimes feel that a lot of the negative attitudes do come from people who probably haven't yet tried it. I'm always leery of an O/S when it is first released, but I'm one to give it a chance and also ensure that my hardware isn't a problem, which when I first installed 8.1, my motherboard was running my RAM at a lower speed and voltage than it should have by default. My fault for not paying attention, which caused the system itself to become unstable. Since I upped the voltage and MHz on my RAM, I've not had one CTD, and all of my games run at better FPS and start up much faster than my previous Win7 installation.
I don't run anything odd, nor have I tweaked the OS in any way beyond turning off the error reporting and updating on my own schedule.
I run an ASUS motherboard, AMD GPU and CPU and G-Skill RAM. Seagate hard drives, two of which are striped as an experiment, none of which are SSD's. All this, I'm either lucky as hell or in my own personal view, a bunch of other people are doing something absolutely wrong. I'm inclined to say the latter is most likely true or the ones complaining are lying through their teeth and not actually running Windows 8, just parroting any negative view because its Microsoft and hating Microsoft is the cool thing to do.
The third option is that the ones complaining are people who buy PC's off the shelf from a brand name and having worked for a big PC selling corporation, I can attest to off-the-shelf PC's are shit hardware in a pretty package for the most part. Cheap parts marked up higher than their worth and have a high failure rate because they're assembled by low-paid factory workers are not going to make good PCs, nor will they run ANY O/S without some issue here or there.
And the other thing I suspect of some of the complainers is that they think they know a lot about PC's, but instead know just enough to be dangerous to their hardware.
I am sure there are legit complaints too, I don't deny that, but when someone like me, who builds PC's for a living and runs quality (and affordable) parts in his machines can attest to an O/S being stable and functional, it makes me leery of people who're having complaints because my first instinct is that there's either a hardware problem or they're doing something wrong and won't admit to it or don't have the knowledge necessary to recognize what is actually causing the issue. I say this because I've made a living off of people exactly like that. People who swear up and down they read tech blogs, think they know a lot about PC's but have failed to grasp some concept along the way.
I'll be the first to admit I've a decent level of tech knowledge but there are a lot of folks out there who make me feel like an idiot end-user who can barely use a mouse correctly sometimes, and they're the guys I go to when I have issues I can't solve. The last thing I do though is trash an O/S for problems that may actually be hardware (or poorly written software).
Anyway thats just my thoughts and I'm not trying to put anyone down really for their views, but its just that experience of over 20 years of PC tech work has taught me that 90% of all PC issues are user-related. Including my own.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Zoop Boing Zowie (Nee!)

We must never ignore the legit issues. After all, part of marketing is to find out what the customer wants and cater to it. Since Microsoft had made a tablet, it would make sense to have two versions of Win 8 for and not for tablets in my opinion, or at least a better switch-over to begin with. I'll never understand why they didn't just let you be in PC mode all the time if you wanted, and by that I mean having even the shutdown button in either mode. That always struck me as weird and unnecessary.

So anyway, I know some just hate MS because it's MS, but I am talking about the better half, the ones like you or me that know a thing or two I'm decently tech-savvy, I hail my continued knowledge from one who builds computers as well, merely a differing opinion. Believe you me, I know about the user errors people can make too, big time. Still, this has all engrained into me certain expectations. The first question is if an OS has something I do or don't want, after I've decided that the hardware is desireable. Well, the tablet interaction and shutdown issue did turn me off. I'm running a gaming laptop and may not find that necessary when faced with all the keybound functions in-game.

I also found out about Windows Update, more-or-less taking control out of your hands. Nothing to do with the act OF updating, because updates are always good (except when they're not), but rather the restarting procedure. This may be a minor inconvenience, but it may be that I don't want to either restart now or ping it every 10-15 minutes to tell it not to restart without my concent. Again, this is a gaming laptop and that can go by quickly, or even if I'm just heavily-engrossed here ot at any of the sites I go to. Windows 7 postpones for hours if I really don't want to be interrupted, and t can do that again if I really don't want to restart at this time. I'm not certain Windows 8 can be set for that, but I'm sure you can tell me. Either way, the computer is - as always - meant to be our utility. I don't believe it should force our hands.

FalloutJack:
Still, this has all engrained into me certain expectations. The first question is if an OS has something I do or don't want, after I've decided that the hardware is desireable. Well, the tablet interaction and shutdown issue did turn me off. I'm running a gaming laptop and may not find that necessary when faced with all the keybound functions in-game.

I also found out about Windows Update, more-or-less taking control out of your hands. Nothing to do with the act OF updating, because updates are always good (except when they're not), but rather the restarting procedure. This may be a minor inconvenience, but it may be that I don't want to either restart now or ping it every 10-15 minutes to tell it not to restart without my concent. Again, this is a gaming laptop and that can go by quickly, or even if I'm just heavily-engrossed here ot at any of the sites I go to. Windows 7 postpones for hours if I really don't want to be interrupted, and t can do that again if I really don't want to restart at this time. I'm not certain Windows 8 can be set for that, but I'm sure you can tell me. Either way, the computer is - as always - meant to be our utility. I don't believe it should force our hands.

On the subject of forced restarts, the last time I had an update it actually said it would restart in 24 hours unless I chose to do it myself, which was surprising to say the least whereas my experience with Windows 7's restart reminders became almost as annoying as Clippy. However most of the time I wait to install updates and check to make sure there isn't some bad code that screws with functionality (just a precaution that I learned after XP's SP3 was released, god that was one of the worst rollouts of an update I've ever seen, and possibly one of many reasons I detest XP).
I never noticed the tablet functions, and the Metro style on my setup only shows up if I hit the windows key or the former "Start" button. I can see why the loss of the old school start menu might bother people, but really having been using Windows since the DOS days, pre-95, I do recall many folks having the similar complaints about switching O/S'es due to what really only are graphical and not functional changes. Hell there's even ways to curtail almost all the Metro tiles that you don't want and just have a list of programs (or you can get a few free programs that drop Metro and just replace it with a Start Menu). I do agree that Microsoft should have allowed for people to choose between "Classic" mode and Metro though.
I also enjoy the hell out of the right-side "swipe" function that brings up the search/run option which is the only functionality of the Start Menu I ever used. But then I'm adaptable, and I realize some people aren't. I do feel that a lot of the complaints are due to knee-jerk reactions to a change in look-and-feel, rather than actual functionality issues. I could go all day talking about the differences in Win7 and 8.1, and how I feel that taking a little time to experience it can make a huge difference on opinion.
Its been mentioned before, but the Task Manager is much better, actually listing PID's which is one of the things I felt Linux/Unix had over Windows.
Overall there's a lot more single-click navigational features that I, as a power-user, absolutely love. Its so much easier to mouse-navigate to the control panel via swipe-bar, search function doesn't feel like a slog anymore, but actually makes good use of the superfetch process which I used to disable on Win7/Vista because it was a memory hog. Overall its very streamlined and just feels smoother.
I don't notice any of the tablet functions and it doesn't really get in the way.
Also my other recommendation for "windows key +" functions would be to invest in a keyboard that allows you to disable the windows key if that is a bother during gaming (most gaming keyboards have that function either on the keyboard itself or through software toggles).
Oh and I think someone mentioned New Vegas as a game that didn't work on Windows 8, which I can attest to that being patently false as I just played a session of it without any issues (actually the game ran better than it ever has...).
Ah well. I'm not saying people should run out and buy Windows 8 right now, but I do think its way past time to let go of XP. It served its time and purpose and there's no good reason to hold onto it now because at the very least Windows 7 runs just about anything XP would and some things XP won't run. Plus XP64 is a piece of crap and why the hell anyone would want to run a PC with a 4gb maximum RAM capacity is beyond me. 32-bit is so out of date.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here