Game of Thrones: Iron from Ice Trailer: The Struggle in the North is Real

Game of Thrones: Iron from Ice Trailer: The Struggle in the North is Real

The loyalty of House Forrester is sure to be tested.

Game of Thrones: Iron from Ice

Telltale's adventurous, episodic take on the Game of Thrones universe drops tomorrow, and Episode One: Iron from Ice is just the first helping in what will eventually be a six-part series.

The launch trailer for Iron from Ice is up and running (and embedded to the right), and the final glimpse sets up what should be a bloody, calculated path for House Forrester through The War of the Five Kings.

Like many other noblemen and houses caught up in the war, House Forrester will undoubtedly have to navigate through its conflicts while pledging allegiance to the throne of Westeros, or by sticking with its allies in the North. And like other Telltale franchises before it, these choices are sure to impact what lies ahead in Episode Two, and beyond.

The trailer couldn't be timed better, as our Iron from Ice review goes live later tonight (3pm ET).

Source: Telltale Games (YouTube)

*checks bank account* Fuck me I don't have enough cash! From how impressive Tales From the Borderlands was, I have really high hopes for this game. I'll be buying it as soon as I get the funds.

The trailer was really awesome as well. Looks like a good mix of political intrigue and action.

norwegian goose:
I'd rather the new book dropped already instead of a progressively terrible adaptation.

Why are you so negative? Seriously, nearly every forum post you have made so far has been curt.

OT: I like what I've seen so far, and Telltale hasn't made a bad experience in my opinion. The Walking Dead: Season 2 was a bit less impressive than the first but they more than made up for it with The Wolf Among Us.

Good thing Christmas is fast approaching!

norwegian goose:
I'd rather the new telltale game dropped already instead of a progressively terrible book series.

There, you had a typo, but I fixed it for you.

Do I particularly trust Game of Thrones? No, but I trust telltale. They have a track record of one upping the source material. They did it with The Walking Dead, they did it with Fables, supposedly they did it with Borderlands, and I'm fairly certain they can do it with Martin. Flame shields activate.

Fox12:

Do I particularly trust Game of Thrones? No, but I trust telltale. They have a track record of one upping the source material. They did it with The Walking Dead, they did it with Fables, supposedly they did it with Borderlands, and I'm fairly certain they can do it with Martin. Flame shields activate.

I'm not gonna say the books are terrible, on the contrary they seem pretty good

but I did read part of one and the prose is....sufficient but kinda average

House Forrest gets wiped out.

1- It's Game of Thrones, we aren't allowed to have anything nice.
2- Ramsay is still very much alive.
3- Survivors, if any, would have been sent to the Wall,

The only thing keeping me from throwing all of the money earmarked for my family's Christmas at this is the fact that I almost certainly wouldn't be able to wait for episode two after actually playing the first.

Now, let us all pray that the game grants us some measure of brutal, bloody vengeance against the Boltons, their bannermen and all their families (to make sure no descendents come to trouble the North)....

Vault101:

Fox12:

The only thing that annoys me about the prose is the obsession with extremely intricate and elaborate descriptions of *every* single meal time: it's like reading a Medieval celebrity cooking shopping list.

Vault101:

Fox12:

I've relented somewhat over the years, I don't hate the series like I once did. It does certain things very well, like dialogue and character development. My main issue was the pacing, which was some of the worst I've seen. It becomes a meandering mess where nothing happens for several hundred pages. I figure the show probably fixes this by cutting out the fat, which is nice. In any case, I'm curious to see what Telltale does with the premise. If they don't stick too much to the source material and are given room to breathe then it could be interesting. If they have you square off against major characters then it's settled, since the game can't impact the main story in anyway. The best thing they can do is tell a smaller more intimate story with a minor house. Luckily this is what Telltale excels at.

Fox12:

I've relented somewhat over the years, I don't hate the series like I once did. It does certain things very well, like dialogue and character development.

wasn't he a TV writer?

anyway most popular books are fairly "ok" in the writing department

Story might be good, but damn does the game look like ass and animates like ass. I hoped Telltale would up their assets, but it looks like their priority is rushing this thing out so they can have that stupid "every odd month is BL, and every even is GoT" gimmick. Worked so fucking well the last time.

As it stands, the game looks very cheap and the lack of a vibrant visual style confounds how ugly Telltale games actually are. It's something they worked around in their previous titles, but GoT's drab colorscheme and realistic presentation can only look decent if the visuals are actually detailed.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the whole thing that much if A: it didn't feel that Telltale is just doing the same thing for the fifth time without any improvements visually or gameplay wise (you still can't fucking skip dialogue, people wanted that since episode 1 of the original walking dead, oh but now you have money and a button which allows you to examine 3 more things in your enviroment, what innovation, oh but there are no puzzles this time round so the whole game might as well be a fucking cutscene) and B: it wasn't based on the HBO property, a very lavishly designed and detailed TV series, everything this game isn't.

I hope that they got some great writers this time around, because they are already starting with a minus in my book. Though it is safe to say that this will be better than the last game that called itself Game of Thrones.

Vault101:

Fox12:

I've relented somewhat over the years, I don't hate the series like I once did. It does certain things very well, like dialogue and character development.

wasn't he a TV writer?

anyway most popular books are fairly "ok" in the writing department

Yeah, for a while. Unfortunately I always said he picked up some bad habits. Namely that every book is a "season," and that he makes up every book as he goes along. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to end the series, so he's stuck. It's a shame, the books had potential. The show may have to create its own ending before long. I don't envy his current predicament.

Fox12:

Yeah, for a while. Unfortunately I always said he picked up some bad habits. Namely that every book is a "season," and that he makes up every book as he goes along. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to end the series, so he's stuck. It's a shame, the books had potential. The show may have to create its own ending before long. I don't envy his current predicament.

I heard that he did have an ending in mind....and that there were a few popular fan theories floating around and one of them was correct

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here