This Star Wars: The Force Awakens Fan Art is Worthy of Your Wall

This Star Wars: The Force Awakens Fan Art is Worthy of Your Wall

Star Wars TFA Fan Art 13 Jamie Roberts 310x 2

These are the droids you're looking for...except there are no droids. Only art.

At this point, we've watched the Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser once or twice or forty times. It's getting us all aflutter, for sure, and the same can be said of the YouTube community. A LEGO trailer here, a Special Edition teaser there. Even the, um, less accommodating fans have made their voices heard.

But let's not forget about the artists, many of which have been churning out some truly awesome fan-made artwork based on what we saw in the teaser. We've compiled a gallery of such art, with sources linked below. Most of these are in the style of a vertical poster, so click through for the real deal.

If you happen upon any other fan art yourself, please post up in the comments. The more, the merrier!

Sources:
9gag | Kode Logic | Francesco Francavilla
Charles Tan | Phil Noto | DrD-no | disgorgeapocalypse
KemalDis | Orlando Arocena | Jaime Roberts
Legion of Potatoes | Sploid

I've been a Star Wars fan all my life, but I honestly don't understand all the hype this one teaser garnered. We've been through this same song and dance a hundred times now.

Maybe I am just jaded...

Is there some upside-down Jesus cross symbolism going on with the lightsaber?

Anyway, these look decent except for slides 2, 5 and 12 which are pretty unimpressive. (Especially slide 2, I can make something like that in PhotoShop in less than 20 minutes.)

Aerosteam:

Well, the upside-down cross can also be called the Cross of St. Peter

From Wikipedia:

It is believed that Peter requested this form of crucifixion as he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner that Jesus died. As such, some Catholics use this cross as a symbol of humility and unworthiness in comparison to Jesus.

Of course, then the horror movies and whatnot made it into an anti-religious symbol because... Satan?

The more you know!

OT: Some looks good, some looks dumb. It's the usual fan-art collection of movies

Fappy:
Maybe I am just jaded...

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

The Real Sandman:

Fappy:
Maybe I am just jaded...

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

I love redlettermedia so much XD

Some of them are good. But not as impressive as the original Russian Star Wars posters:

I don't know what they were on at the time, but I want some.

There are four things that I love about these pics.

1: Many of them are fantastically drawn.

2: Most are brilliantly thought out.

3: Many are worthy of lithograph prints, as is.

4: Almost half of them either prominently display or are based around the claymore light-saber.

That last one alone endears them to me.

"I feel a great disturbance in the 'Net, as if millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly mocked (by Stephen Colbert). I feel something wonderful has happened."

I am curious to why the first poster got a warning, the lightsaber is indeed stupid

I like the lightsaber, I bet it is some ancient Sith relic. Maybe that's what has awoken? Some long forgotten assumed dead Sith Lord, like Bane?

(I know he didn't have that particular weapon, in the EU. But most of the EU is now vapourized like a planet hit by a super laser.)

That would be cool.

I'll be honest I've explored the now defunct extended canon and so I'm not as bothered by the idea of a lightsaber being unstable and having a crossguard / exhaust vents or whatever but the actual placement of said cross guard bugs the hell out of me, unless you keep your wrist ramrod stiff you going to burn yourself. Just a stupid impractical design. To that end I'm surprised so many people are in love with the design, yeah it looks cool but so does the buster sword and that's gotten all the due mocking it deserves.

The first poster shouldn't have gotten a warning for that post, it's a fair assessment. my favourite picture is the ice-cream speeder bike, design of that thing is ugly as fuck.

Number 10 I would certainly hang on my wall. It even wears my favorite colours: dark and gritty.

Aerosteam:

It's a crossguard.

Basically they went away from "saber" and towards a more "knightly" Longsword.

I dunno, I've been a big fan of the original trilogy and, atrocious though some of the books may have been, I've chewed through a good part of the EU in my time, but I'm just not feeling the new SW somehow. That, of course, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, maybe I've just changed and I only look back fondly at the original movies because of the nostalgia glasses.

But the new lightsaber longsword IS stupid - the idea to put a guard on a lightsaber is certainly sound, with the "standard" models, an enemy can just slide their blade down and cut your fingers off when you block, so something to stop that would definitely be an improvement. Problem is, if you slide a blade down the lightsaber we've seen in the movie, you'll hit a hilt section, that projects the "crossguard" rather than the crossguard itself, damaging the sword AND maiming the opponent. To have this idea work properly, you'd probably have to have the hilt section that projects the crossguard protruding in the opposite direction and doubling back at an angle, but that gives you a bigger, more unwieldy hilt and TBH just looks kinda silly IMO.

It would have made more sense if the Crossguard had been made of a Lightsaber resistant metal, Cortosis (which can short circuit sabers), or Mandalorian Iron (Beskar). However then you'd have people bitching about it being made of metal.

I have no issue with the design, because we haven't seen it in action yet. I reserve judgement until we see how well it can actually be used.

That said I do find some of the Parodies funny.

Aerosteam:

Literally couldn't stop thinking of this when I saw that crossguard lightsaber...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here