South Park Parodies Let's Play and PewDiePie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

South Park Parodies Let's Play and PewDiePie

South Park returned to the topic of video games last night with a new episode focused on Let's Play videos and the people who watch them.

South Park and video games are just a good fit. Between classic episodes like Make Love, Not Warcraft and more recent ones like Black Friday and Freemium Isn't Free, the show's creative minds seem to have an uncanny ability to look at the issues and trends in the game industry and create knockout satire based on them. This in mind, you can perhaps understand my excitement when I learned that last night's episode would again be setting its sights on video games.

The focus of the new episode, dubbed #Rehash, was the growing popularity of Let's Play videos. The episode opens with series regular Kyle bringing home a copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Hoping to spend the day playing it with his little brother Ike, he's shocked to find him more interested in watching PewDiePie Let's Play videos than in playing the game himself. From there, it spring boards into an overarching discussion of how entertainment evolves and how older generations fail to empathize with younger ones and see parallels with their own days as whipper-snappers. Oh, and there was also a holographic Michael Jackson and more of Randy Marsh's double life as New Zealand singer Lorde.

Overall, I'd say that the episode itself wasn't quite as strong as some of the show's other detours into gaming. It just had too much going on and the Let's Play and Lorde storylines didn't mesh up quite as well as I think its writers were hoping. It still had some great gags though, especially from Cartman, who starts his own YouTube channel where he comments "on my friends commenting" on video games. Interested viewers can give the episode a free viewing at the South Park website.

Source: South Park Studios

Not to nitpick but I think the author has his islands confused... Actually almost exactly antipodal opposite.

W3rK:
Not to nitpick but I think the author has his islands confused... Actually almost exactly antipodal opposite.

Crud muffin. This is what happens when you Mighty Ducks 2 the night before writing something. Thanks for the catch.

Am going watch this episide right now, the only way a non-resident of America can...

I like that Cartman's Face Cam is literally warping reality by existing everywhere and not just on a Computer Screen.

I'll watch this episode later on today or tomorrow...

Episode was good, really liking how every episode this season actually ties together and anything that happened within the episodes is mentioned in others instead of being forgotten instantly by the next episode as if nothing happened.

Anyone else think that South Park is building up to a GamerGate episode this season?

We've had an SJW episode.
A Free 2 Pay episode.
Now we have a Lets Play episode.

VanQ:
Anyone else think that South Park is building up to a GamerGate episode this season?

A Free 2 Pay episode.

Oh no...
I don't know if the idea of that is inspiring or terrifying.

Never get lets plays. If its a game with strategy and skill is involved an the person playing is using skill and strategy. Then they can be good. But mostly lets play are boring as they play like we do - as in looking every where and playing like a beginner as they learn the game. Oh and i dont get pewdiepie, i watched a few vids and they are utter crap. I dont get why he has followers. Each to their own i guess.

SonOfVoorhees:
Never get lets plays. If its a game with strategy and skill is involved an the person playing is using skill and strategy. Then they can be good. But mostly lets play are boring as they play like we do - as in looking every where and playing like a beginner as they learn the game. Oh and i dont get pewdiepie, i watched a few vids and they are utter crap. I dont get why he has followers. Each to their own i guess.

As a form of artistic criticism, I really do like the idea of Lets Plays. They provide space for long form analysis and can still be quite amusing if you get the right player/cast.
Unfortunately most of the popular ones are just idiots doing stupid things. There are good ones though, if you can find them.

VanQ:

A Free 2 Pay episode.

Add the Kickstarter episode, the Oculus Rift episode, and Magic the Gathering Episode as well lol. Season 18 feels as the one that's trying to pick on popular gaming culture.

They seem to have a better grasp on this then they had on WoW. Watching the WoW episode after playing the game for like 3 years since beta, I couldn't help but feel a little like watching the cutscenes from Zelda CDI. It got the right characters and some terms from the 'real' thing, but most of it is either just plain wrong or makes no sense in context of the actual game.

I always felt the WoW episode was kind of made for people who know WoW but never actually played it.

That said, I do find the Randy is Lorde subplot pretty interesting. I wouldn't have thought that would turn into an overarching thing, but I'm really pleased by it.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the scenes with PewDiePie in the corner, he does't even pretend to actually play CoD? I thought that was rather funny. xD

Davroth:
They seem to have a better grasp on this then they had on WoW. Watching the WoW episode after playing the game for like 3 years since beta, I couldn't help but feel a little like watching the cutscenes from Zelda CDI. It got the right characters and some terms from the 'real' thing, but most of it is either just plain wrong or makes no sense in context of the actual game.

Just like a majority of cultures they imitate on 'The big bang theory'.

I get the entertainment of the 'lets play' tho, to an extent. I watch Jim's Squirt plays occasionally and while I have no interest in most of the games being played, the commentary is dope. I've never watched the dude they're talking about in the episode, but I've heard of him through Jim's youtube and that he makes "fat stacks of cheddar" in one of his commentaries about the validity of lets players getting paid. To me it's basically situation comedy to me.

This is an odd case of me disapproving of south park. Not for any hipstery reason just that i think the less people who know about pewdeepie the better

This season of South Park has really felt like a departure from the the norm. Yeah, they're doing the same types of jokes and pop culture stuff, but there's a lot more reality-warping like Cartman's window and the ending of the VR episode. The multi-episode plots also feel very strange.

Not complaining though. It's super sweet that they're doing some things different.

Xsjadoblayde:
Am going watch this episide right now, the only way a non-resident of America can...

Legally and for free through southparkstudios.com?

I understand Let's Playing as a phenomenon. Its fun watching gameplay of games we might not want to spend money on without getting too invested in them. Sometimes the commentary is funny or instructive and that attracts views.

There are a lot of terrible LPers out there though who rely on gimmickry ala Cartman so I found the clip quite funny. As someone who wants to casually put up gameplay videos; this hit close to home. It was pretty fun watching South Park's take on it all.

Zacharious-khan:
This is an odd case of me disapproving of south park. Not for any hipstery reason just that i think the less people who know about pewdeepie the better

Why would you say that? Pewdie is a great bro, and though not all of his videos are interesting, some are entertaining as hell.
My only gripe with the episode is that they've inserted actual Pewd's footage into the show, instead of making a cartoon version of him. That's kinda weird, but I think they're building up to something.

PH3NOmenon:

Xsjadoblayde:

Legally and for free through southparkstudios.com?

Nope, doesn't work. At least in my country (Germany). They redirect me to the .de site which does pretty much the same thing... but doesn't have the most recent episode up. I don't know how long it takes until I can watch it there.

So yeah, if you want to watch Southpark as soon as the US audience does, you can try to proxy the shit out of southparkstudios... or do the same as that guy.

The Apple BOOM:

VanQ:

A Free 2 Pay episode.

Oh no...
I don't know if the idea of that is inspiring or terrifying.

If they are, I'd be quite satisfied with them doing so. I'd love to seem them take that issue to task but wonder if they could find anything to really satirize as any casual observer/viewer/non-gamer would even understand the "issue". Hell i'm a gamer and I don't even get the "message" of that whole fiasco because I feel the whole damn thing is convoluted and contradictory (like trying to square the Old Testament God with post-Jesus God... lol).

McKinsey:

Zacharious-khan:

Why would you say that? Pewdie is a great bro, and though not all of his videos are interesting, some are entertaining as hell.
My only gripe with the episode is that they've inserted actual Pewd's footage into the show, instead of making a cartoon version of him. That's kinda weird, but I think they're building up to something.

Because I think Pewdeepie is a twat, that none of his videos are interesting, and that absolutely none of his videos approach a state wherein they could reasonably aspire to be entertaining.

You seem to completely neglect to mention this appears to be part one of a big multipart storyline, a cliffhanger before the December pause?

It clearly ended with Cartman and Evil Corporation guy ready to start "Taking it to a *whole* new level"...
So that's where the pay off will be; MJ vs Tupac, Lorde stuff climaxing somehow and of course the main storyline...

VanQ:

A Free 2 Pay episode.

No, because most people outside of a small group on the internet don't give two shits about GamerGate
Whereas Lets Plays are very much common to anyone who has a computer \

Zacharious-khan:

McKinsey:

Zacharious-khan:

Because I think Pewdeepie is a twat, that none of his videos are interesting, and that absolutely none of his videos approach a state wherein they could reasonably aspire to be entertaining.

So, what's a twat? I get that it's not for you and that you find most of his content unfunny, (same here), but calling someone a twat just because of that seem to be... mean. So is the definition of twat diffrent than what I am thinking, or what?

Most of the people in this thread are talking about Pewdiepie's appearance the episode, and I'm just sitting here thinking "Damnit, no shots fired at DarkSydePhil....."

Probably the hardest I've laughed at anything from South Park, then again I don't really follow the show.

''Cartmaaaaan-braaaah!''

Heh I thought Pewdiepie actually appear in their animation style than using one of his video.

As for the whole let play, I view it as its original form, watching someone playing a game from behind like I used to with my bro (we got one pc which is his) and these days I only watched the let plays on the games I don't own. Also heh, I thought the whole ideal of the living room was dead when everyone own more than one tv!

VanQ:

A Free 2 Pay episode.

This possibility left me with half a smile and half a frown; it's really painful.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone should totally make a real Cartmanbrah youtube channel, and have him commentate over commentators. Fuck, that would be hilarious. The episode itself was pretty great. I like that they didn't really take the piss out of Pewdiepie as much as they do the people who copy what he does, although I do agree that the whole Lorde thing didn't mesh in too well.

It wasn't bad at all though. This season really does feel like Matt and Trey are trying something different with this overarching plot between episodes. I have no clue what they're building up to, but I can't wait to see it.

In the meantime. Matt and Trey? Pleeeaaaseeee make a Cartmanbrah youtube channel happen.

ryan_cs:

So, what's a twat? I get that it's not for you and that you find most of his content unfunny, (same here), but calling someone a twat just because of that seem to be... mean. So is the definition of twat diffrent than what I am thinking, or what?

The word twat is vulgar slang for the human vulva, but is more widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid.(Wikipedia)

I came here for the usual yelling that encompasses an article even daring to mention Pewds and I left gladly surprised to find very little. Oh well, going to have to watch this episode later. Guess back to watchin Pewds for now though

The episode was interesting, but I feel like they're focusing too much on the ludicrous end of Let's Plays, and not the informative or comedic commentary/skill based LP. Usually they provide great examples of both ends of the reasons something is popular, but not so in this case. Though, with the odd way this season is being told linearly, maybe we'll see that yet.

I think the whole story "meshed up" quite well. Vicarious culture, death and decay of living spaces, the medium being the message, autonomous hologrammatic people. If Philip K. Dick weren't dead, I would seriously suspect that he had secretly written this episode. Or... is he?

Zacharious-khan:

ryan_cs:

The word twat is vulgar slang for the human vulva, but is more widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid.(Wikipedia)

Also related to the insult "dork" which from whaling days tradition means whale penis. Calling someone a dork is simultaneously calling them a dick and a huge useless piece of meat. Most people ignorantly think it just means stupid or naïve.

I might add that I find it puzzling how Western European derived culture is so obsessed with sex and yet so completely disgusted and revolted by their own pudenda to the point that most personal insults involve describing someone as genitalia. Japan has erect penis festivals celebrating fertility, although it's a wonder that these survive with the encroachment of Christianity onto the islands. Pretty Japanese girls have no business wearing crucifix necklaces and going to parochial school. That just should not be happening. Ever notice that Christianity spreads like a venereal disease from country to country? They hate sex and act like a disease that is spread by it. To them, I can only quote Captain Jean-Luc Picard. "I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done!"

ryan_cs:

Zacharious-khan:

McKinsey:

Because most the damn time, he DOES act like a damn twat. The only time I've ever enjoyed one of his videos (and no, I don't watch them, my damn girlfriend does and keeps showing me them) was his photoshop ones, because for the most part, he acts quite normal (well, as normal as a resident Swedish and surrounding area of Europe tends to sound when speaking english with such an incompatible accent)

The point is, he is massively immature, and his success has turned other, actually enjoyable, lets plays into half baked versions of him because the damn guy has become so big, he's gained a fucking entertainment gravity well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here