Eidos Teases Future of Deus Ex with Dawn Engine Screenshot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Eidos Teases Future of Deus Ex with Dawn Engine Screenshot

Deus Ex Dawn Engine 310x

The next Deus Ex gets a new-ish engine, a whole world to play with.

It's been three-plus years since Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out (crazy, I know), so it's no surprise that Eidos Montreal is talking about what's next for the cyberpunky franchise.

That chatter came today, in the form of a blog post over on the Eidos Montreal community hub. Community Manager Sacha Ramtohul posted about the future, focusing in on the tech foundation for the next Deus Ex evolution.

"In the past, we've relied on existing engines for our games," said Ramtohul. "But in the end, we found that our creative vision was somehow limited. So we decided it was time for us to invest in creating an engine tailored for our needs."

The end result is the Dawn Engine, which is a modified version of the Glacier 2 Engine used by IO Interactive on Hitman: Absolution. The new-ish engine "...will form the cornerstone for all Deus Ex Universe projects at Eidos-Montréal." Ramtohul is quick to point out that "Deus Ex Universe" does not mean there's a DE MMO on the way. "Deus Ex Universe is the name we are giving to the fictional world and the rich lore we are creating for it, which will of course include core games, as well as any other projects that will help bring the world of Deus Ex to life."

The screenshot seen up top (big version here) is a generic display of what the engine is capable of -- it's not from an in-development Deus Ex game, apparently. Either way, there's plenty of detail in there, so the next crop of Deus Ex projects should look pretty sharp on PC, and new-gen consoles.

Expect more news in the coming months -- a PAX East teaser, perhaps? Maybe some news on that Mankind Divided trademark? Fingers crossed.

Source: Eidos Montreal

dawn is a good name for an engine that makes ever thing look gold =P but seriously I am ok with more deus ex in my life

It looks like its sticking with Human Revolution's Gold/Black color scheme, which makes me hope we get to see more of Adam Jensen. Unless he got crushed at the bottom of the ocean.

But that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We're good on Deus Ex for another 7 years at a minimum. If you want to drive an IP into the ground, fucking pick another one, Eidos.

SecondPrize:
But that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We're good on Deus Ex for another 7 years at a minimum. If you want to drive an IP into the ground, fucking pick another one, Eidos.

I'd rather any game not attempt or do an Aliens: Colonial Marines ever again, that game took 6 long years and felt like forever and look how that turned out, if it happened to them it can certainly happen to others.

I'd rather not wait a good amount of a decade to find a game was a pile of fluff with built up hype so strong that it could never live up to the original idea, I'd rather wait 3 years at best, hell games 4-5 years old now look ancient and are remembered as if long ago, gaming years span much more differently than that of a movie or book.

We shouldn't be trying to stretch the time period to nearly a decade though, we should be aiming for at least 3 maybe 4 years maximum but never a year or 2 and a half because we've already seen those results not just from Ubisoft but other devs, pubs and Indies alike.

SecondPrize:

Except Human Revolution was pretty good...

Shadow-Phoenix:

SecondPrize:

I'd rather any game not attempt or do an Aliens: Colonial Marines ever again, that game took 6 long years and felt like forever and look how that turned out, if it happened to them it can certainly happen to others.

I'd rather not wait a good amount of a decade to find a game was a pile of fluff with built up hype so strong that it could never live up to the original idea, I'd rather wait 3 years at best, hell games 4-5 years old now look ancient and are remembered as if long ago, gaming years span much more differently than that of a movie or book.

We shouldn't be trying to stretch the time period to nearly a decade though, we should be aiming for at least 3 maybe 4 years maximum but never a year or 2 and a half because we've already seen those results not just from Ubisoft but other devs, pubs and Indies alike.

Saviordd1:

SecondPrize:

I'm not suggesting that HR wasn't good, or that the next one needs a development cycle of 7 years. I'm just saying that HR was good and we're all good for now in the Deus Ex department. We can hang out and play other stuff and they can surprise us with another Deus Ex game in a decade and it'll be great, as opposed to them pumping out five of them in that same time frame and generally just doing the IP to death until even dead horses stop and say "damn, Eidos, lay off."

Strange. Why was he on the defensive about an MMO deus ex? People havent been asking for one, have they? Thats an incredibly bad idea...dont publicly give out bad ideas!

SecondPrize:

Shadow-Phoenix:
[quote="SecondPrize" post="7.866423.21660658"]But that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We're good on Deus Ex for another 7 years at a minimum. If you want to drive an IP into the ground, fucking pick another one, Eidos.

I'm not suggesting that HR wasn't good, or that the next one needs a development cycle of 7 years. I'm just saying that HR was good and we're all good for now in the Deus Ex department. We can hang out and play other stuff and they can surprise us with another Deus Ex game in a decade and it'll be great, as opposed to them pumping out five of them in that same time frame and generally just doing the IP to death until even dead horses stop and say "damn, Eidos, lay off."

As the original article said it's been more than 3 years since Human Revolution though. Let'say they go for a E3 announcement next summer it's going to be at least Q4 2015 or sometime in 2016 before the next mainline Deus Ex game comes out. It'll be at least 4-5 years since Human Revolution by then.

In comparison there's been 5 mainline AssCreed games since 2011.

I for one wants to see another Deus Ex HR with tighter game-play and shinier graphics.

SecondPrize:

But by saying "they can surprise us with another Deus Ex game in a decade" is akin to "yes for 7 year dev cycle" if not longer.

How do you even know the game will be great?, we've all had that mingling thought before but times have changed, it takes actual deliverance to make the game good (as well as being stable and no parity crap), these days we get hype, ads, sneak trailers like we're in the movie industry, so many games I've seen hyped up for so long and while at first they looked good they ended up with nothing but short fumes, look at Watch dogs, that game looked amazing back in 2012 but now it looks and performs like shit for most people, A:CM was the same but from Gearbox, 6 long years and it turned and performed like shit and it doesn't end there.

It doesn't matter how long it takes, it's putting actual effort, spending the budget wisely, trying not to overhype and make false promises you cannot keep, actually deliver the game you know you can deliver and see how we react, that's what I want from them anyway and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't believe any game thus far will be "great" until I get to play it and see how it is, if it takes a decade to create, overhyped and bullshots us then there's not a snowballs chance that I'd ever see it as great, there's nothing great in waiting long periods of time, not everyone has the same exact accurate shared level of patience, some of us want to play games and possible sequels before we die rather than wait till we're 80 to play another sequel only to see it backfire, I absolutely hated how my wait for A:CM was completely in vain and dashed any hope I had for the franchise, Isolation in no way interests me which means I'll have to wait another 6-7 years just to play the game I want, I find nothing great about that at all, Gearbox's fuckup means I have no choice but to sit out of the Aliens franchise because the team behind Iso certainly haven't made the game I originally wanted to play.

Hmm... a possible Deus Ex 4 announcement at the VGA awards tomorrow night? I'm just hoping the devs learned their lesson from Deus Ex: The Fail.

I hope this means the levels will be more expansive. HR had some incredibly small maps for each level. I hope they add a voice mod for Jensen, I think we need to get past the heroes who sound like they need a lozenge.

A new Deus Ex would be a day one buy for me.....hopefully they will sort out the boss battles and have a proper ending. Only those two things were a negative strike against the game for me.

Saviordd1:

SecondPrize:

I honestly liked Human Revolution better than the original despite not playing it over and over as much. The replay factor is the only thing the original has over it.

FFS, I REALLY hope they aren't going to go back to that terrible yellow and black filter they slapped onto EVERYTHING in the freaking game. Seriously, it just made the game feel so bland after a short while... Color filters always do.

SecondPrize:

really? youre saying that in a world of 1 game a year Assasins creeds?

3 years is generally a good time cycle

Itchi_da_killa:

Saviordd1:

SecondPrize:

I honestly liked Human Revolution better than the original despite not playing it over and over as much. The replay factor is the only thing the original has over it.

I honestly can't decide whether I like the original's combat or HR's combat better. HR's combat is definitely more refined, due to being younger, but there's something to be said for being surrounded by six MJ-12 cyborgs and troopers and taking them all out with just the Dragon's Tooth sword while tanking the hits with dermal armor and regeneration. That was also the fight when I figured out I was totally OP too...but that was balanced out by always being rather low on Bioelectric cells soon after and for the rest of the game.
In terms of story, first one all the way. HR's story was interesting, but rather weak at many times to the point of incomprehensibility. Not to mention the end was a complete let down, at least in the first game you had to do different tasks within the same area to get your vague ending rather then just hit buttons in a room.

Another Dues Ex hm? *blows on bubble pipe* I am interested in this. Hope it's as good as Human Revolution.

stringtheory:
I honestly can't decide whether I like the original's combat or HR's combat better.

I preferred the original's combat, but Human Revolution's upgrade system. Freakin' skill points.

I don't know why people would object to a new Deus Ex game after what will probably end up being 4 or 5 years since the last one. Not Assassin's Creed, and not Half-Life either - a good sweet spot for maximum quality. Anyway, it looks like the next Deus Ex game will be called "Batman Arkham Knight", with its Blade Runner aesthetic and emphasis on robotic/cybernetic enemies.

Also, there better be some damn good AA on that engine, what with all those ornamental tiny rods.

Part of me is afraid they are going to turn this into another mobile game. C'mon, give us a real damn game. DX:HR was a hit... and then they follow it up with that. What stupid and terrible companies they can be sometimes.

SecondPrize:

are you kidding? 4 year is a very respectable time inbetween sequels

personally i like it, playing DE:HR while enjoying red faction guerilla at the moment

I just want a Modern remake of Deus Ex that I can play on my Xbox One, is that too much to ask Squeenix? seriously, I would buy like... all of your games if you gave me that, like even the shitty JRPG stuff that my mongoloid "friends" seem to enjoy so much because the characters are supposedly "superior" to anything from western development houses (I had some shitty friends with stupid opinions)

Seriously, they could announce A Deus Ex and DX invisible war *shut up it wasn't that bad* double HD pack with their own fucking version of Uplay and I'd still drop £100 on that baby,I just want more JC Denton, and maybe Alex if I feel like it.

So we have the engine, we definitely have all the old voice files, just do the 343 industries thing and make a fancy version of the old game and feel free to take literally ALL OF MY MONEY

Seriously though, the hitman absolution engine? I mean I know it is supposed to be "modified" but that engine isn't actually a very good start point, it is buggy as hell and the character models weren't what you would call realistic.

Meh, lets wait and see!

luks prewitty. Does this cost our soul? Actually this looks like it's been doctored or it's just very bad.

And ffs Eidos, cut out the orange.

I don't trust Eidos Montreal. First they charged money for an update, then they backed-out on second-screen functionality on the PC, and then they made the sub-par Deus Ex: The Fall, which had watered down gameplay and graphics but an interesting plot which never came to a conclusion because they just released the first chapter and pretended that it's an entire game.

They don't get a single bit of hype from me until I see multiple favorable reviews of the finished product.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the whole Thief 4 thing.

Oh thank God for the clarification denying a Deus Ex MMO.
I cannot think of a worse thing to do to Deus Ex than making it into an MMO; The one entire genre that's antithetical to the DE's design and appeal.

Because why provide strong characters, story, and great level design when you can GRIND and block-mute spambots?

Devin Connors:

"In the past, we've relied on existing engines for our games," said Ramtohul. "But in the end, we found that our creative vision was somehow limited. So we decided it was time for us to invest in creating an engine tailored for our needs."

Now, I have liked all the Deus games so far, but this statement sends chills down my spine. Last time I saw developer make this statement it ended with a lot less game content and a little bit more realistic bushes. Who knows, Eidos is not (yet) up there with satanical publishers like EA and Ubisoft, so maybe they wont cut stuff in favor of release schedule. Maybe.

More Deus Ex in the Human Revolution universe? Sign me the fuck up.

LGC Pominator:

So we have the engine, we definitely have all the old voice files, just do the 343 industries thing and make a fancy version of the old game and feel free to take literally ALL OF MY MONEY

Definitely, original game deserves graphical upgrade
As for IW story was ok, but game mechanics were meh or worse (so total upgrade would benefit it)

On the other hand, if devs plan to squeeze another game between HR and original, I'm not sure how I feel about it :/
I think HR was best prequel possible

There is story potential for a game set between original and IW though.

stringtheory:

Itchi_da_killa:

Saviordd1:

I honestly can't decide whether I like the original's combat or HR's combat better. HR's combat is definitely more refined, due to being younger, but there's something to be said for being surrounded by six MJ-12 cyborgs and troopers and taking them all out with just the Dragon's Tooth sword while tanking the hits with dermal armor and regeneration. That was also the fight when I figured out I was totally OP too...but that was balanced out by always being rather low on Bioelectric cells soon after and for the rest of the game.
In terms of story, first one all the way. HR's story was interesting, but rather weak at many times to the point of incomprehensibility. Not to mention the end was a complete let down, at least in the first game you had to do different tasks within the same area to get your vague ending rather then just hit buttons in a room.

The Dragon Tooth sword is still my favorite weapon from any game. I agree with you completely about the ending.

"It's been three-plus years since Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out (crazy, I know),"
Bwuh?! That IS crazy! Damn, Tempus Fugit, huh?

Anyway, loved the original but couldn't play more than 3 levels of HR. The XBOX 360 AI was dumber than two doornails spliced with a rock...

I asked for this. But I asked for more. Much more.

Devin Connors:
The end result? Dawn Engine, which is a modified version of the Glacier 2 Engine used by IO Interactive on Hitman: Absolution. The new-ish engine "...will form the cornerstone for all Deus Ex Universe projects at Eidos-Montréal." Ramtohul is quick to point out that "Deus Ex Universe" does not mean there's a DE MMO on the way. "Deus Ex Universe is the name we are giving to the fictional world and the rich lore we are creating for it, which will of course include core games, as well as any other projects that will help bring the world of Deus Ex to life."

Thank you for assuaging my concerns, Mr. Ramtohul.

Building your own game engine sounds just great. Everything seems to be in order, Eidos Montreal. Hype level maintained at maximum capacity. Carry on.

Sod that, do you know where you're gonna be in a decade? I sure don't. I could be married with kids and no more time for gaming, or dead. I mean not milking it is one thing but if you've got a good thing going crack on I say.

I didn't play Deus Ex - The Fall since well it is a mobile game. The only things that matter are mothership tittles.
I enjoyed Deus Ex - Human Revolution. I wouldn't mind another game in that direction.
Considering that they may announce it in 2015 it would probably get released in 2016 or later so the time period between titles is acceptable.
Maybe we get the chance to play as a sort of Eva Jensen:

Blegh. I never liked these 'engine teaser' pics. They always look all shiny and pretty, but they tell you almost nothing about the engine itself.

Anyone recall how 'pretty' Unreal Engine 3 first looked in it's teaser reveal pics? Anyone also recall how abysmal the engine was in motion when it finally launched?

Sorry Eidos. Until you get around to showing us a video of your engine, in action and under real world, gaming conditions, I'm unimpressed with your 'teaser pic'.

That makes me sounded jaded, because I am.

Still, the possibility of more story-driven Deus Ex games is generally a good thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here