Resident Evil's HD Remake Gets Dated, Priced

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Resident Evil's HD Remake Gets Dated, Priced

The Resident Evil HD Remake will be released on January 20, 2015.

Good news everyone, Capcom have announced something that isn't an overly excessive price-gouge! The HD remake of the original Resident Evil that was announced earlier in the year now has an official release date and price: January 20, 2015, for just $20!

The publisher confirmed that the game would be launching across all of its platforms - Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC - on the same date, and for the same price.

The game is actually the latest in a long-stream of Resident Evil remakes. It's a high-definition version of 2002's Resident Evil Remake for GameCube, which itself is a remake of the 1996 original. The game will output in 1080p on Xbox One and PS4, and whatever the heck you want it to on PC.

This latest Resident Evil remake is now looking quite a lot better than the GameCube version. You can see for yourself through this set of comparison images, released last month:

We admit that comparing the game to the original PS1 version would probably make a more striking comparison, but we don't want to subject your eyes to polygons so jagged.

Good news for Resident Evil fans!

Source: Capcom

It does at least look good, but as long as it still has the gameplay style of RE games pre-4, I imagine it's age will stop most people from enjoying it.

I remember trying to play the original when I was ten and freaking the ever loving fuck out when I heard the zombies walking up. So much so that I had to get my cousin to kill them for me and she rarely was around to do so and thus I often shut the game off instead. Time to pull up my big boy pants and give it another go.

It's FRIDAY FRIDAY. WE SO EXCITED EXCITED!!!

Horrible Rebecca Black reference aside, I can't wait for this. It's been so long since I played RE1. So freakin' long. I was but a child, playing on my friend's PS1.

I'm interested only if there's an option to turn off tank controls! I find the original REs so hard to get into. I've played 1, 2 and 3 completely once each but have no desire to return for that simple reason.

That said, this RE-remake along with RE: Revelations shows that Capcom clearly KNOW that people want a return to the more traditional RE horror style. So why they continue to churn out sub-par RE4 clones like 5 and 6 baffles me.

So what's the official unofficial name this one's getting?

RE-REmake?
reREmake?
REmake: The REmakening?
REsident REmake?

Proverbial Jon:
I'm interested only if there's an option to turn off tank controls! I find the original REs so hard to get into. I've played 1, 2 and 3 completely once each but have no desire to return for that simple reason.

That said, this RE-remake along with RE: Revelations shows that Capcom clearly KNOW that people want a return to the more traditional RE horror style. So why they continue to churn out sub-par RE4 clones like 5 and 6 baffles me.

well to try to recapture the success of RE4, which was regarded by many as a fantastic game (not a fantastic survival horror mind you, but a great game in general). i mean there's that, and the fact that RE5 was released quite a few years before the 3DS version of revelations, and 6 was released around a similar time to 3DS rev, and a while before rev console release.

with any luck, capcom might finally be listening to what fans actually want for a change, revelations as a console/pc port, RE4 proper hd steam version, RE1 remake... it all sounds good to me.

unfortunately as much as i enjoyed them when i was younger, i've since tried playing games with the tank controls, and it just feels off now. i'm glad this is being released, but i'll pass.

ChupathingyX:

RE-REmake?
reREmake?
REsident REmake?

The RE Re-Remake.

To all the people bitching about tank controls: what other kind of controls would go well with fixed camera angles?
I thought so.

I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm a bit tempted to pick this up. Or I could just hunt down a cheaper copy of the original remake (?!) on Gamecube; but that won't be as special for not being the RERERemake. I wonder if anything other than the graphics will get an update? No, I'm not looking to get rid of the tank controls here. They're part of the magic.

Major_Tom:
To all the people bitching about tank controls: what other kind of controls would go well with fixed camera angles?
I thought so.

Well, how about the type of Controls Resident Evil Outbreak had? It tied the controls to the camera angle - and if the angle changed, you didn't had to worry about the controls changing when you kept pressing (and only adjusted if you let go or noticably changed directions). It took a bit to get used to but once learned, it was a VERY intuitive type of control, that wasn't anywhere near as slow as Tank-Controls.

Any word on what content they will be stripping out to be resold as on-disc DLC?

OT: If this game proves to be popular, I wonder if they will do 2 and 3 also?

Bindal:
Well, how about the type of Controls Resident Evil Outbreak had? It tied the controls to the camera angle - and if the angle changed, you didn't had to worry about the controls changing when you kept pressing (and only adjusted if you let go or noticably changed directions). It took a bit to get used to but once learned, it was a VERY intuitive type of control, that wasn't anywhere near as slow as Tank-Controls.

I was a bit puzzled by this because I remember Outbreak having tank controls, so I fired it up (*cough* *cough*, that PS2 was full of dust) and apparently it has "normal" controls when using analog and tank when using the D-pad. I'm fine with that, analog is useless for the tank controls anyway. But you also have to remember that Outbreak didn't have completely fixed camera angles.

Major_Tom:
I thought so.

I always found it the ultimate irony that everyone who ever complained about the tank controls seemed to love RE4. Which had the exact same tank controls, except in an actual action game which made them feel worse than ever.

Myndnix:
It does at least look good, but as long as it still has the gameplay style of RE games pre-4, I imagine it's age will stop most people from enjoying it.

quite the opposite for me I like pre RE4 game play better xD

OT: I wonder if more bonus modes will be added or a new monster like how gamecube added Crimson Heads

Major_Tom:
I thought so.

did you play Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64?
as it turns out analog controls work just as good with fixed camera angles

personaly I prefer post RE 4 controls/camera but that won't stop me from playing this game again

Lot of people in this thread complaining about the unwieldiness of tank controls. That's the point. You're fighting zombies, control issues are the only reason they're a threat. With intuitive controls you can panic and just go FUCK and run the opposite direction. Tank controls let you get destroyed by panic, because they require patience. If you panic with tank controls, you're gonna get stuck on a wall. There wouldn't be a game here without the tank controls.

good. was wondering when it will come out. i knew it will cost 20$. a game i always wanted to play when i heard about it in 2002 but was really sad to hear its only for GC. now i can finally play it. and even with better graphics.

This is looking good. Also, for everyone worrying about the tank controls, I read in GI that they are giving options. One option being the original controls and the other a control scheme where your character just moves in the direction you press the stick in. So, you have a choice. And all of the other people telling you to stop complaining, don't listen to them.

Major_Tom:
I thought so.

Plenty of games with fixed cameras had non-tanky controls. Devil May Cry for instance had fixed cameras and a control scheme where Dante went in the direction you pressed the stick in.

I find it interesting that the original Resident Evil has been remade twice (Three times if you include the Wii port), but Capcom never wanted to touch Resident Evil 2. I've never played it myself, but wasn't it regarded as the best game in the series before 4 waltzed into our life and showed us what we were all missing?

Mcoffey:
I find it interesting that the original Resident Evil has been remade twice (Three times if you include the Wii port), but Capcom never wanted to touch Resident Evil 2. I've never played it myself, but wasn't it regarded as the best game in the series before 4 waltzed into our life and showed us what we were all missing?

Yes. I found it odd as well. I'd probably do wicked things to secure a copy of RE2Re. ReRE2? 2ReRE?

Edit: fixed Redundant Department of Redundancies.

Myndnix:

As someone who can play and even enjoy tank controls perfectly fine, the big issue with pre-4 Resident Evil is that combat is pathetically poor, and more aggravating then any horror it tries to instill, mostly falling into an issue that actually aiming is a nightmare and the mild lock on is so inaccurate you might as well be firing blanks. The best example is the first zombie you kill in the game. Your likely to die to it solo-y thanks to how fucking hard it is to hit anything with the knife.

Baresark:
This is looking good. Also, for everyone worrying about the tank controls, I read in GI that they are giving options. One option being the original controls and the other a control scheme where your character just moves in the direction you press the stick in. So, you have a choice. And all of the other people telling you to stop complaining, don't listen to them.

Major_Tom:
I thought so.

Plenty of games with fixed cameras had non-tanky controls. Devil May Cry for instance had fixed cameras and a control scheme where Dante went in the direction you pressed the stick in.

True, but most games it just wouldn't work. And even Devil May Cry had severe issues due to having that control scheme, especially during the platform segments (WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE ANGLES IN MID AIR THO!?)

With tank controls, you almost never fall into the where you character spins around during a camera switch. Onimusha 1 and 2 are great examples of fixed camera angles being done superbly well. That game can really punish you hard at times, and many of the fights would be utterly impossible with such a control scheme unless you were to utterly ruin the games incredibly good looking art direction by making a 3D version with a modern camera system, which would simply ruin the game.

The big issue people have is that they cant learn to use tank controls because their used to better modern controls, even if theres really not a big problem with tank controls in most games. Tenchu 1 and 2 are fluid and quick in combat if your good, and use tank controls despite being fully 3D games. There is literally no issue with controls in that game unless your being really fussy.

Regardless, all I know is that Heavy Rain movement would have been a shitload less awkward if they had just gone for tank controls, and would have had that natural movement Cage was sprouting about because you wouldn't constantly be turning a small as hell 180 in your house every time the damn camera switched.

So....long-running RE fan here (I completed the 2 hour run for the Rocket Launcher when the PS1 original first released).

I'm very surprised that no one knows it, but this game completely updates the old tank controls to modern movement, but also has the ability to switch back to old-school tank controls for the nostalgic and hard-core. You can choose either one. Everybody wins.

It was detailed at length in a gaming magazine I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention here....

The reviewer criticized having to use the tank controls back in the day, looked forward to the new way, but ultimately gave the new ones somewhat of a mixed review, due to the way they sort of conflicted with the fixed camera angles, and lessened tension.

I never did get to play this game, because by the time I finally got a Gamecube for RE4 Camecube games had instantly vanished from store shelves, so goody.

And tank controls are like riding a bike.

Well, I say that I prefer the original. It was so incredibly bad that it was in fact, great. "This weapon is powerful, especially against living things!" Barry walks into the dining room: "A dining room!!!" Not to mention the famous Jill sandwich. . .

I don't know, there is an ernest camp to to the whole thing that is charming in its own way, and trying to make RE into anything other than silly, B-movie goodness reeks of trying too hard.

If you want real horror, play Silent Hill, if you want schlocky B-movie fun, then Resident Evil is your game.

Still the best game in the series.
I actually still have it for the GameCube... I just don't have the GameCube anymore...

I'm not happy about the visuals since to me it looks like upscaling with a horrid sharpen filter applied but I can look past that as long as it works properly on PC.
It will work properly on PC right Capcom? CAPCOM??????

A HD Jill Sandwich? Count me in.

/slow clap

Seriously. Fucking stupid. STOP remaking shit. Movies, games, whatever! This is not even a remake! It's a remake of a REMAKE. I wont drop a fucking dime on this. I feel like publishers just do this because nobody has any ideas and some kind of revenue needs to come in.

XenoScifi:
/slow clap

Seriously. Fucking stupid. STOP remaking shit. Movies, games, whatever! This is not even a remake! It's a remake of a REMAKE. I wont drop a fucking dime on this. I feel like publishers just do this because nobody has any ideas and some kind of revenue needs to come in.

O.o

It's a port of a remake which was remade just over a decade ago for the Gamecube only. I applaud Capcom for this move by making it non-exclusive, I now await the port of Resident evil Zero.

Adam Jensen:
It's FRIDAY FRIDAY. WE SO EXCITED EXCITED!!!

Horrible Rebecca Black reference aside, I can't wait for this. It's been so long since I played RE1. So freakin' long. I was but a child, playing on my friend's PS1.

It'll be just as good now. I played the first when I was around 14 or so. Replayed it on gamecube over 10 years later, loved it just as much. THIS is a remake I will buy.

Still pretty excited about this, though I might hold off on that GC REmake LP I was going to do before this came out, if it's pretty much the same thing but on PC. I still don't get the hate for tank controls, they work most of the time for me. I even spent like three hours last night playing through RE3, and they still feel fine, even just using the D-Pad. I also feel like the only person that likes both post and pre-RE4 RE games.

And to that guy mad about remake madness, these sorts of things make a lot more sense that movie remakes, because of the higher importance of technological advancement to the video game medium. A movie from the 70's is still perfectly watchable 40 something years later, because while the special effects may be less advanced and the audio/video quality a little less clear/sharp, the gap is not big enough to be detrimental to a lot of people's enjoyment.

Conversely, a lot of people won't even play a game from 5-10 years ago because "it looks like shit", so doing a graphical remake like this makes a lot of sense to keep old games playable for a wider audience. Plus, since this is an actual remake (as opposed to the re-imagining that seems to have taken over remake's meaning) with minimal changes to the original content beyond adding more content on top of the old(fuck that shark window bit, cuts right to my fear of water monsters in videogames), this feels a lot less egregious than a lot of these "remakes". Unless it's fucking broken on PC, so fingers crossed that Good Capcom works on this and not Disastrous PC Port Capcom.

TL:DR Yay remake, yay tank controls, boo being mad. Also sharks.

Yes I heard of this a while back and was pretty happy, look forward to running through it for some trophies like I did with the HD versions of Veronica and 4... though the 1 remake looks to take much longer than those.

While happy what I really want is Zero which while often regarded as terrible is pretty up there for me. Maybe if they really worked their arses off they could add in full on two player co op. Whatever the case I'll just do what I always do, play as Rebecca as apparently wearing body armour means you have the durability of paper while a wife beater grants you Tyrant like durability (just why is Billy so damn hardy? Guy is superhuman and nothing in the game requires you to have such a strong character).

ChupathingyX:

RE-REmake?
reREmake?
REsident REmake?

I'm thinking R3make.

mad825:

XenoScifi:
/slow clap

O.o

It's a port of a remake which was remade just over a decade ago for the Gamecube only. I applaud Capcom for this move by making it non-exclusive, I now await the port of Resident evil Zero.

It looks like they went back to the resources used to make the prerendered back grounds form the game cube game retouched them and put them in a new game engine. Hopefully the game is fully 3d with set camera angles.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here