Street Fighter V is a Cross-Platform PC, PS4 Exclusive - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Street Fighter V is a Cross-Platform PC, PS4 Exclusive - Update

No Hadouken for you, Xbox One.

Update: Yoshinori Ono and Capcom just made Street Fighter V official at PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas, with a bit of very interesting news. Not only is Street Fighter V coming to both the PC and the PS4, but so is cross-platform play. Players on one platform will be able to compete against those on the other seamlessly for the first time ever in the franchise.

Check the video to the right for the official gameplay video shown off at the Experience show as well.

Original Story: The intrepid users over at NeoGAF went ahead and found themselves a shiny new teaser trailer for Street Fighter V. The trailer, while not yet confirmed to be authentic (but it sure looks to be), has been taken down several times from YouTube. An off-YouTube mirror can be found rehosted here, and it's a mash-up of worldwide Street Fighter fandom (tournaments, artwork, tattoos) and clips of a fight between Ryu and Chun-Li taken from the new game.

At the end of the trailer, the new Street Fighter V logo fades in, followed by "Exclusively for PS4 and PC," hence our headline. I have a hard time believing that "exclusively" here means no arcade version, but rather it's coming to arcades, the PS4, PC...and not to the Xbox One.

But back to the game at hand. There's definitely a level of polish on Street Fighter V not seen in any iteration of SFIV, as pretty as that series is. You can thank the new-gen console target for that (honorable mention to cutting off the Xbox 360, PS3 dead weight), which means the game will look stellar on both the PC and PS4. And since the arcade machines running Street Fighter V will simply be gussied up PC hardware, the PC version with a FightStick will be very close to the arcade experience (quarters resting on display ledges excluded, of course).

We've reached out to Capcom for comment, and an update will follow if we hear back. Given the timing of the accidental leak, we might be hearing more about Street Fighter V this weekend during the PlayStation Experience event in Las Vegas.

Kotaku pulled some GIFs out of the trailer, one of which is below for your enjoyment. So...enjoy!

Source: NeoGAF | GIF Image Credit: Kotaku

PS4 and PC exclusive, huh? Interesting.

I wish there was actually more gameplay available. I'm not the biggest SF fan, I didn't like SF4 very much but I absolutely loved SF3. I really wonder what kind of mechanics we're going to see in this game.

I also wonder what the circumstances behind it not coming to Xbox are. But, with Capcom and their fondness of rereleasing "upgrade" versions, I wonder if a later SFV iteration will make it to Xbox. At least it's coming to PC too.

Don't Capcom have a habit of doing the "Oh, we are so loyal to you with this exclusive [insert console here], until the next instalment of said IP in the franchise" tactic?

Gamecube - Resident Evil 4
Xbox ONE - Dead Rising 3 (maybe Dead Island 1 I think)
maybe others and now this.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Omega by what little I can compare looks to be the basis for sf5.

Judging by how many versions of Street Fighter IV there are, you can pretty much guarantee it that when Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter V: Arcade Ultimate Edition comes out, at least one copy of the game will be ported over the the XbOne.

Capcom uses the term "exclusive" like Tiger Woods uses the word "marriage".

Though getting a foothold is important. If you develop a strong base at the start, especially with a group of players as committed as fighting game fans can be, it can create a lot of forward momentum this early in the system's life.

3rd Party Exclusives are bad for everyone :(

This console war is heating up though. I really want to see Sony aggressively drop the price on the PS4 to try and lock Microsoft out.

So this seems like one of two things. Sony paid for this to be console-exclusive a la Tomb Raider. In which case, go fuck yourselves Sony, nobody (that isn't a fanboy, anyway) likes that shit.

Or two, Capcom are in such a poor position that they needed Sony's help to bankroll what is arguably their flagship title.

Neither sound like particularly great news to me.

Im happy about a new Street Fighter,i just hope it does not suck,becouse if it doesnt, it will be nice to see it on Evo. I am sad about the Xbox users missing out though, i play exclusively on a pc, so the exclusivity does not affect me, but i dont like it regardeless. Lets hope that its a timed exclusive.

exclusives...

this thread will be fun...

also why did they get rid of the previous' game art style?

Andy Shandy:

Or two, Capcom are in such a poor position that they needed Sony's help to bankroll what is arguably their flagship title.

Something's telling me it might be the latter reason. Financially, Capcom is nowhere as well off as they were 7 years ago, and had to majorly downsize last year if I remember correctly just to jump to the next generation. Besides, it's Capcom, they don't know what the word "exclusive" even means. So it'll eventually end up on the Xbox One either way. Remember when people were adamant that Dead Rising 3 would remain on the Xbox One, but no it has a PC port. Then there was Okami, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, and many more. Plus, as Laggyteabag said, with how Street Fighter IV has been there will probably be a version of Street Fighter V on there at some point.

Not to mention, it's not really "exclusive" if it's also coming out on PC...

Call me when you've made a Megaman Game, Capcom... or a breath of fire game that isn't a shitty phone app game. At least we've got Mighty No 9 for our megaman needs.

The only reason i would think theyre ignoring XB1 is because Capcom believes that theyre making this game for the Japanese audience, and the Japanese market has for the most part drawn a blank when it comes to the XB1.

And as incredulous as that sounds, its certainly not the first time Capcom has restricted its releases like that. See: Monster Hunter.

It would be funny if they did release it later though, since that will be another case of Microsoft ignoring its own release parity bullshit like they did with Warframe.

Paradox SuXcess:
Don't Capcom have a habit of doing the "Oh, we are so loyal to you with this exclusive [insert console here], until the next instalment of said IP in the franchise" tactic?

Gamecube - Resident Evil 4
Xbox ONE - Dead Rising 3 (maybe Dead Island 1 I think)
maybe others and now this.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I think it was just RE4 and Viewtiful Joe that started that.

Cant think of anything else that got a late rescue from exclusivity, until Okami got ported to the Wii, and i believe that was done because the PS2 was a dying system at the time and they wanted to make up some sales.

NuclearKangaroo:

Its fundamentally the same artstyle, however it looks like it has actual lighting effects now, making it look darker.

Also i dont think ive ever seen an angrier looking Ryu. He looked sort of neutral before but now it looks like his brow has come forward a few inches.

"Exclusive", Capcom?
Good joke there! As soon as it's they release Super Street Fighter V Turbo Edition, then they will release for the Xbone with all new characters.

Laggyteabag:
Judging by how many versions of Street Fighter IV there are, you can pretty much guarantee it that when Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter V: Arcade Ultimate Edition comes out, at least one copy of the game will be ported over the the XbOne.

That's great. If that happens then it won't matter because in all likelihood the tournament scene for the game will already be committed to the PS4. It took a massive amount of people whining (along with some legitimate gripes) to get tourney organizers to switch from PS3 to 360 for SFIV and UMvC3 (the latter of which runs terribly on PS3). We're talking about a community that will bust out ancient consoles in order to play the "purest" version of the game. For example with the recent 37 Reloaded tournament I'm 99% sure that every legacy game except for SFIII: 3rd Strike was run on its original console despite the fact that MvC2 and SFII have been released on more modern systems.

NuclearKangaroo:

As mentioned by someone else if this is legit SFV will look very similar to SFIV. That said while I enjoy SFIV it's sure not because of the art style which I find to be kind of hideous.

Laggyteabag:

I honestly expect them to get the equivalent of a "Hyper" edition, since that's one of Capcom's old tricks.

I could understand more visually demanding games avoiding the XBO but with this being a generally non-graphically immense game that's not the issue with the game. With the XBO being easy to port to and generally popular in the US it has a low cost for porting.

So is it contractually exclusive or is it something else?

Lightknight:
I could understand more visually demanding games avoiding the XBO but with this being a generally non-graphically immense game that's not the issue with the game. With the XBO being easy to port to and generally popular in the US it has a low cost for porting.

most likely, sony paid money so less people can have fun

NuclearKangaroo:

Lightknight:

That's what the signs seem to be pointing to. I'm hearing rumors that Capcom didn't have the money to fund another Street Fighter game in house, so Sony stepped in and forked out the cash to develop the game, thus gaining console exclusivity in the process.

Here's an article from a year ago, basically Capcom admitting that it does not have the budget for another Street Fighter release: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ono-says-no-budget-for-street-fighter-v/1100-6411507/

It seems obvious to me this will end up being a timed exclusive. But timed for how long?

Tohuvabohu:

NuclearKangaroo:

Lightknight:

That's what the signs seem to be pointing to. I'm hearing rumors that Capcom didn't have the money to fund another Street Fighter game in house, so Sony stepped in and forked out the cash to develop the game, thus gaining console exclusivity in the process.

Here's an article from a year ago, basically Capcom admitting that it does not have the budget for another Street Fighter release: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ono-says-no-budget-for-street-fighter-v/1100-6411507/

uhmm... i remember that

maybe you are right

Given previous exclusives included Resident Evil 4 and Dead Rising 3 it is pretty obvious that the dictionary in the Capcom office has a different definition of the word exclusive to the rest of us. Then again I've not played a Street Fighter game since Street Fighter II Super Turbo Deluxe Holy Crap You Keep Buying These Edition version so feel free to disregard my comments as the apathetic shrug that it is. Although I will reserve the right be to very smug once the the Xbox One version is announce within the next 18 months.

I remember that Microsoft were doing a 'release at the same time with us or don't release it at all' thing with indie games, maybe they are broadening out this policy to other developers as well? Probably not the whole reason for the deal, but it could be a small factor.

Maybe it's been a while since I played SF IV, but I'm not seeing any sort of tremendous advance in the .GIFs above. I mean, the deeper, multi-layered backgrounds are pretty, sure... But other than that? What am I missing?

So how long did it take for Xbone's lack of hardware power to exclude it from new titles?

This is Street Fighter, which is by Capcom so while I'm sure this COULD be exclusive to PCs and the PS4, Ultra Street Fighter V (or Street Fighter V Alpha or Street Fighter V Turbo or whatever) will likely be on the other big platform. I know better than to hope for SFV on the Wii U since there hasn't been a proper Street Fighter on a Nintendo console since the SNES.

Talking about Street Fighter made me realize I need to share this.

gigastar:

I think it was just RE4 and Viewtiful Joe that started that.

Cant think of anything else that got a late rescue from exclusivity, until Okami got ported to the Wii, and i believe that was done because the PS2 was a dying system at the time and they wanted to make up some sales.

You know what's sad? Nintendo had better versions of all 3 :(

V4Viewtiful:

I both doubt and hope not. Since omega has ken kicking hadokens and blanka teleporting. Omega seems to be more just a silly side project made for fun, little more.

Also, here's hoping Fuerte keeps in the series (it'll never happen)

Dr. Crawver:

V4Viewtiful:

I both doubt and hope not. Since omega has ken kicking hadokens and blanka teleporting. Omega seems to be more just a silly side project made for fun, little more.

Oh I don't mean the crazy stuff like Hadoken kicks, I mean extended combos and slightly more elaborate moves. Not just that but it seemd more aggressive a game compared to SF4 which is very twitchy.

V4Viewtiful:

Dr. Crawver:

V4Viewtiful:

Oh I don't mean the crazy stuff like Hadoken kicks, I mean extended combos and slightly more elaborate moves. Not just that but it seemd more aggressive a game compared to SF4 which is very twitchy.

Possibly, but the whole new system is built to be strange. It might well be the basis, but with so much of it being entirely...off, I would be surprised.

Still, I'd enjoy a less twitchy version of SF. As a dedicated El Fuerte player, I'd love the "no respect" style to be a little more effective.

Dr. Crawver:

V4Viewtiful:

Dr. Crawver:

Possibly, but the whole new system is built to be strange. It might well be the basis, but with so much of it being entirely...off, I would be surprised.

Still, I'd enjoy a less twitchy version of SF. As a dedicated El Fuerte player, I'd love the "no respect" style to be a little more effective.

I just want taunts to make attacks slightly stronger again :P

V4Viewtiful:

Dr. Crawver:

V4Viewtiful:

V4Viewtiful:

Dr. Crawver:

V4Viewtiful:

If we're having that back, can we not have the Q's "I taunt 3 times while you were on the floor. I am now invincible" again? That was not fun to go up against.

Most odd. Sony usually locks up third party exclusives completely (aka no PC unlike Microsoft) if they are involved so unless they saw Street Fighter as absolutely vital and Capcom didn't budge I don't see that being it. It being a Japan thing is unlikely also as than why would it be on PC?

Trying to muster something up...could crossplay be the reason? FF14: A Realm Reborn never came to Xbox apparently due to Microsoft saying no to crossplay so... that could be it.

No... this is likely "exclusive" in Japan and will release in the west on Xbox One, that is the most likely thing.

Edit: Also it better have Dudley.

Andy Shandy:
So this seems like one of two things. Sony paid for this to be console-exclusive a la Tomb Raider. In which case, go fuck yourselves Sony, nobody (that isn't a fanboy, anyway) likes that shit.

Option 2 seems plausible considering the link Tohuvabohu posted in post no. 19, but it also may be paired with another reason - If I recall correctly, MS said some time ago, that the game must either launch on XBO first or at least simultaneously with other platforms, otherwise it won't be there at all. Therefore, my hypothesis is something like this: Capcom struggled with budget to make SF V. Sony stepped in, gave them cash to finish it, and only demanded say... a PS4 release one week earlier than other platforms (in this case PC), and let Microsoft's weird regulation work against them.

If that would be the case, I wouldn't know if I should condemn Sony for a dirty trick, congratulate them on using their rival's own rules against them, or laugh at the extreme trolling that it would be.

The update spells out the reason for exclusivity perfectly. Cross platform play. Microsoft has turned away quite a few games for this reason due to the closed nature of live. This hopefully is another wake up call to MS to open up for developers to create bigger communities for their games. I support Capcom on this call.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.