The Witcher 3 Delayed Yet Again

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher 3 Delayed Yet Again

the_witcher_3_wild_hunt__you_never_know_what_waits_around_the_corner

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date has been pushed back once again so CD Projekt Red can address any game-breaking bugs.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is perhaps the most anticipated game from CD Projekt yet, expanding Geralt's dark fantasy world to a Skyrimesque scope. With the release date pushed back to February, it seemed like the trilogy's conclusion was finally in sight. Or at least it was, until CD Projekt revealed The Witcher 3 needs more time to correct bugs, and will launch on May 19, 2015.

"The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production," CD Projekt wrote in an open letter. "Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio's history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly."

"We owe you an apology," the letter continues. "We set the release date too hastily. It's a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust."

While my first instinct is to flip my desk over, in the long run this is probably the best decision. CD Projekt is very similar to Valve in that launch delays usually lead to a stable and more refined product, which should make fans happier overall. This is especially true as other major Triple A games, including Dragon Age: Inquisition, face criticism over glitches and bugs.

The question now is whether the extra 12 weeks will be enough to correct the issues CD Projekt is referring to. Here's hoping we find out in May 2015 and not May 2016.

Source: VG24/7

Gives me more time to get a job and get the money for a new computer than can run this thing. If I don't have a job by then, then I've got bigger problems than not being able to run The Witcher 3.

take all the time you need CD Project.
masterpieces aren't made overnight

I'm a little disappointed since I had a week booked off work for it. But I'm also glad they're taking the time they need to polish it up before releasing it so they give us the most stable product they can. If only other developers did that instead of releasing a buggy, broken mess because they know they can fix it later. *looks and Ubisoft*

Hm. Well, it means I still have time to scrape together money for a pre-order.

I am glad they are taking there time but October to Janurary and now May. That is a hell of a delay. there must be some serious problems with the game right now.

Still better a long wait than Day 1 patches with week 2 patches.

Can I just say that it's pretty fucking sad that the state of the industry has caused me to view delays as a sign that the devlopers really care?

Better to delay it than to release a broken game. However, these guys don't have a lot of money like Ubisoft and EA. I hope these delays won't have a negative effect on their business.

Adam Jensen:
However, these guys don't have a lot of money like Ubisoft and EA. I hope these delays won't have a negative effect on their business.

While they don't have Ubisoft or EA amounts of money, CD Projekt are also the guys that run Good Old Games. They won't be running dry any time soon.

good that gives me more time to procrastinate on beating the second one

I'd rather have a half-broken game now than a finished game a few weeks later.
I'm wondering if anybody actually ever thinks this.

You know it's a sick industry when delays inspire more confidence than meeting deadlines.

I'm glad CD Projekt Red remains one of the most honest and consumer friendly companies out there.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
I'm a little disappointed since I had a week booked off work for it. But I'm also glad they're taking the time they need to polish it up before releasing it so they give us the most stable product they can. If only other developers did that instead of releasing a buggy, broken mess because they know they can fix it later. *looks and Ubisoft*

Just had to reply to say that your avatar pic is excellent.

That's one of my favorite box art pictures.

Raziel in particular may be one my favorite fictional characters in any medium.

aquarius87:
take all the time you need CD Project.
masterpieces aren't made overnight

Yep. I wish more developers was like this. If a game is delayed and released to perfection, what people will remember is the perfection.

If a game is not delayed, and releases riddled with bugs...what people will remember is the bugs.

I'm in denial.

This game will release in Exam season now...meaning no free time in which to play it.

It's going to be undoubtedly great and I won't be able to play it ;_;

Fuck it, I'm going into denial. Come February 24th, I'll play The Witcher 2 again and pretend that it's The Witcher 3.

I have no problem with this. I would rather they release a working game than a broken piece of crap like Ubisoft, Creative Assembly, EA, etc, etc like to do.

jurnag12:

Adam Jensen:
However, these guys don't have a lot of money like Ubisoft and EA. I hope these delays won't have a negative effect on their business.

While they don't have Ubisoft or EA amounts of money, CD Projekt are also the guys that run Good Old Games. They won't be running dry any time soon.

THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH!!!

I was wondering where the generosity was coming from, when I found that I had been given free copies of Witcher 1 and 2, on my GOG account and that the best pre-order offer for the third game can be found on the same website.

And while that may sound like poorly disguised, shameless advertising for GOG, it's merely intended to be a revelation/observation on my part.

I would like to preface this by saying I'd much prefer a higher quality game, regardless of when it comes out. I have high hopes for the Witcher 3, and thoroughly believe CD Projekt can meet, if not exceed, those hopes.

I'm sure that CD Projekt will use the new time wisely. The Witcher games got me to start reading the books (translate them already), and I loved the in-game tales.
But maybe next time don't announce (even free) DLC before you're absolutely, positively, 150% sure of your release date.

A lot more publishers could do with developing the attitude of we'll release it when it's ready. Instead of we'll release it when it'll make shareholders more money.

F-I-D-O:
-snip-

I just realized I'm going to have the same problems. Thankfully, my college is only about an hour from home, and my parents could easily just mail it to my dorm.

Fanghawk:
This is especially true as other major Triple A games, including Dragon Age: Inquisition, face criticism over glitches and bugs.

@offtopic
By the way it is worth remembering that so far (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), there has not been a single fucking patch for the game since release (PC version). MAYBE there will be one tomorrow.
http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2ol664/possibility_of_a_patch_for_pc_on_the_9th/

Sorry, just ranting here.

I'm glad that they're doing this. I have too many long games to play already. It also means that we'll get a more polished product and that the developers really care.

But is it enough time?

Seeing as how the PC got the short end of the stick with multi-plats launch of AC UNITY's truly next gen, open world concept, I wonder just which platform is getting the most attention right now?

Most likely, there are frame-rate dips in certain areas and across all the platforms. There is so much going on in this world and so much to account for; Witcher 3's ambitions could easily make it a technical disaster.

erttheking:
Can I just say that it's pretty fucking sad that the state of the industry has caused me to view delays as a sign that the devlopers really care?

Yup. I was thinking the same thing. At least they care enough to fix the bugs rather than releasing it in a messy state and raking in the money anyway.

Sad that it needs to be delayed (it's easily my most anticipated game for next year), but if they honestly think it needs to be done, than I fully support their decision. Better to release a game later than to release it earlier but in a worse state.

More time to get my computer ready for this monster...just do what you do best, guys and gals.

I don't know if EA was ever scared of this game but a part of me feels like they're breathing a sigh of relief that they DA:I doesn't have to directly compete with this. It's not anchored by the PS360 so the scope has to be insanely higher.

pilar:

But is it enough time?

Seeing as how the PC got the short end of the stick with multi-plats launch of AC UNITY's truly next gen, open world concept, I wonder just which platform is getting the most attention right now?

Most likely, there are frame-rate dips in certain areas and across all the platforms. There is so much going on in this world and so much to account for; Witcher 3's ambitions could easily make it a technical disaster.

Hey Buzzfeed, how are you today?
I did some looking around as I confirmed the delay info, and it seems that most of the issues that CD Projekt has talked about come from the console ports of the game. And I don't think I'm wrong in calling it a port TO consoles, as CDP has always put PC development first. They were just happy to have it run on consoles a while ago, and those same interviews had them talking about the console version going down to 30FPS/whatever #ps it runs at. Seeing as how Witcher 2 still remains well optimized on new PC hardware, and was seemingly developed with the next level of graphic cards in mine, it'll probably LOOK fine on PC.
Now, if it goes back to playing like Witcher 1, that's another whole problem.
Also, so many problems from AC Unity seem like it was rushed to fit a yearly schedule. For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't just put out a more polished version of AC:Rogue as a cross-gen title to give people more pirates, so they would have more time for a "truly next gen experience and reinvention of Assassin's Creed" in a 2015 AC:Unity. Ubisoft seemed unwilling to delay games, while CD Projekt doesn't want to have a Witcher 1 launch again.
To be fair, this is only CDP's third game, but most of the interviews talk about how they've viewed Witcher 3 as what they've always wanted to do with the Witcher series, they just knew they weren't good enough/tech wasn't there in 2004. I doubt they'd be willing to fuck that up.
And yeah, there's probably a bunch of framerate drops. Game's was still 3 months from launch (without the delay), which is a lot of time.

Good for them and I hope they sell more games because of it showing EA and Ubi that it is alright to push back a release date to actually finish and polish a game. I just hope it has even less QTE, Witcher 1 was almost all QTE and made combat frustrating because you had to wait for the icon. Witcher 2 had the annoying QTE boxing. Maybe the third installment will have even less. This news definitely makes me want to buy it when it comes out.

Kinda good news for me. May give me enough time to upgrade my PC to be able to play it when it comes out. I just hope the game comes out fine, a lot of people seem to be hyping themselves up quite a bit for it.

Hey look, just in time for my birthday!

By which I mean I can play this game for 24 hours straight while I forget that another year of my life has passed. Whoo!

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Witcher 3 as much as anyone, but to me it's not the most anticipated game from CDPR ever. That distinction goes to Cyberpunk 2077 by far. That said, this is one of the very few devs I trust without reservation. If they say they need more time then they need more time. Better to do it right than to do it rushed. You hear that, games industry? Take your arbitrary release dates set by execs who don't care about anything other than their quarterly results and shove 'em where the sun don't shine!

This is a good thing. I'd rather developers delay the release rather than rush a buggy, mess of a game onto the market. Ubisoft, I'm looking in your direction.

So glad to read the comments on this page. As most of you have said it's a great sign that they're taking their time getting it right and not releasing a Dragon Age or Mass Effect style half-bake.

CD Projekt we salute you.

Not terribly excited for this game, but very pleased at the news: that they are taking their time to make sure that when the game comes out it is in the best condition possible. A sentiment that it seems the people commenting unilaterally (the second part, not the first).

This makes me look more forward to their Cyperpunk game, as long as they don't change much.

I do wonder if people would be just as forgiving if not for how many AAA games came out in their initial state this year...?

I still am enjoying Inquisition, but I could really do without the light-reflecting hair. Or the lack of music.

CPR can take as much time as they want. I will gladly wait for the game to be the best it can be, rather than play it sooner. The extra layer of polish (boom tisch) often makes the difference between a good game and a great game. I've already paid for TW3 on pre-order so will play it when CPR are ready to release it. Even if it leaked tomorrow, I wouldn't play it.

Saying that, it's not the most eagerly anticipated title of theirs. Sure, I'm looking forward to it, will play it as soon as it's released and won't have a social life for some time, but Cyberpunk 2077 is the one I'm really waiting for. I would actually punch a hobo to be able to play it. Come to think of it, there's very little I wouldn't do to be able to play that game right *now*.

Both Witcher games are the kind of masterpieces that I'm willing to wait for. I don't need it tomorrow. I just want to know that when it's released, it will be top-notch. I almost wish that Dragon Age Inquisition would have taken a little bit longer, even though the game itself is still pretty great. It's like Skyrim glitches - people don't get terribly angry. They just make hilarious YouTube videos.

CPR would do well to hash everything they possibly can when they ship it. That level of dedication is what gamers are going to be wanting to see after this year.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here