Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

Tekken 7 Lucky Chloe

Tekken 7 game director Katsuhiro Harada came across negative reactions to the new character Lucky Chloe and has taken her away.

During the 20th Tekken anniversary event, game director Katsuhiro Harada revealed the newest character for Tekken 7 named Lucky Chloe, and she met a fair amount of negativity on the video game forum NeoGAF. In response, Harada said Lucky Chloe will be exclusive to Asia and Europe.

Lucky Chloe has cat ears, paws, a matching tail, headphones, and pigtails, and is certainly outlandish. A thread on NeoGAF criticized her character design as lazy, uninspired, and compared it to cute costumes found in Japanese pop. Other threads also discussed Lucky Chloe with mixed reactions, but a Twitter user sent a link of that NeoGAF thread to Harada about "Western fans not happy with Lucky Chloe."

Harada tweeted in response, "By the way, Are you "Western" only one bulletin board? [sic] Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you."

A different Twitter user asked Harada to add an option to delete characters you don't want to play against in Arcade battles - specifically, Lucky Chloe. Harada told the Twitter user not to worry; Lucky Chloe will only be available in East Asia and Europe.

Recently, others have tweeted to Harada asking him not to exclude Lucky Chloe from the U.S. release of the game. Harada has clarified that he does see both positive and negative feedback to the character.

"If you need = I release. If you don't need = I don't release," Harada said.

If enough people in the Tekken community show they want Lucky Chloe in the game, it appears Harada will include her.

Source: Katsuhiro Harada (Twitter) via VG247

That's very customer oriented of him.

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 characters would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.

BareHope:

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 character would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.

Thank God, that isn't the case. I don't get the hubbub, though. If you're not a Chloe fan, then just don't pick her as your character. If you're playing the Story mode, you just have to sit through a fight with her once per playthrough. How is that so hard to digest?

There's plenty of lazy or fanservice-y characters I'm not a fan of in Japanese fighting games, but I don't let their existence spoil the rest of the game for me.

BareHope:

If he were George Lucas, by now all Tekken 7 character would wear that outfit on release, and there'd be two exclusive spin-off games featuring Chloe exclusively.

Removing content is customer oriented? Seems anti consumer to me.

I think the character might be good if it was designed to be an actual catgirl instead of someone dressing as one. Fits in the same games series that has demons, vampires, androids, samurais, ninjas, and bears as playable characters running around fight each other in a modern/near future setting.

Personally, I don't get what the big deal is... but then again, my tastes are kinda... weird.

If you don't like the character then don't play as her. Are the fans that picky about the characters?

She's still in the European version, GOOD!

Seems like the kind of character I would actually play a lot, especially if she has a quick fighting style. I can't stand using massive, slow, hulking characters in fighting games. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Hahaha. Oh wow. He sulked about the criticism so much, and talked about taking his ball and going home. I didn't think he would actually do it.

Huh, she looks fine to me. It's pretty ridiculous just to react to one Neogaf thread.

Ctirad:

BareHope:

Well, he's offering to remove the content on customer demand ... and he's offering to keep it in on customer demand, too. You can't deny an orientation towards the customer here, even if the response has a certain...passive-aggressive flavor to it.

Dango:
Huh, she looks fine to me. It's pretty ridiculous just to react to one Neogaf thread.

There was one here as well, although the general consensus in that thread was "she's really not bad or out of place for a Tekken game", with the OP making claims that the creator was being racist...since apparently American is now a race. :P

Just...just fuckin' ugh.

It's NeoGaf. Who cares what they think? (Him apparently) But seriously. Ugh.

Playing as the character is optional, why not leave that option there for those who do want to play as her? Seems like it does more harm than good.

wow, it's not everyday you see something this childish. I hope that whoever his boss is at namco tells him to shut up stop behaving like a toddler that threw a tantrum when the class bully called his drawing ugly.

Surely its better to have more characters in a fighter instead of less characters? Ok, you may never want to choose Chloe as a character, doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to fight against her. I know consumer opinion can help a developer make a game better, but in this case, they should just make the game they wanted as a lot of people will lose the character due to a few negative arseholes. An how is that fair?

My response will be somewhat similar to the one I wrote in an other thread about this.

This crosses the line of character design in Tekken?!

Not the freaking cyborg samurai, Blade,Bruce Lee, Jackie chan, Kung fu fighting bears and demons?

But cat looking popidol?!

Wat. Just all of my wat.

..I don't even.

Tekken has had a PANDA and a TINY T REX in their cast, and somehow this is worse?

weirdee:
Tekken has had a PANDA and a TINY T REX in their cast, and somehow this is worse?

Welcome to the internet.
Tho I have to say, that character does look silly, too. At least, for a fighter. For a few other genres. including racing, platformer or maybe a support-character in an FPS/TPS? Still a bit silly but more fitting.
Then again, it's Japan we're talking about and 'silly' is something they live on half the time.

"By the way, Are you "Western" only one bulletin board? [sic] Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you."

Heh. Fuck you too, Mr. Harada. Fuck you too.

:)

I cared nothing for the character(s), the game, nor the fan backlash. But this? This is insulting.

Was the NeoGaf thread childish? Oh yes. Very much so. However, Mr. Harada's Twitter response was far more childish. And if I may, bigoted.

So to hell with him and his game.

BareHope:

Ctirad:

BareHope:

Well, he's offering to remove the content on customer demand ... and he's offering to keep it in on customer demand, too. You can't deny an orientation towards the customer here, even if the response has a certain...passive-aggressive flavor to it.

Ill give you that was was making changes based on consumer demand, but this would be like Blizzard balancing WoW based just on reading the rogue forums. While they would be listening to their customers it would likely cause changes that are negative overall.

I REALLY hope that's a joke.

Because 'deleting' a character, due to some anons bitching on a forum...
All that shows is the developers being an idiot with NO spine.

LostGryphon:
Just...just fuckin' ugh.

It's NeoGaf. Who cares what they think? (Him apparently) But seriously. Ugh.

Those were my exact thoughts. If I had a bunch of randos on some forum bitching about one of my characters I'd just tell them to fuck off, personally.

Ctirad:
Ill give you that was was making changes based on consumer demand, but this would be like Blizzard balancing WoW based just on reading the rogue forums. While they would be listening to their customers it would likely cause changes that are negative overall.

I agree absolutely. My initial remark wasn't meant to be judgemental, but rather pointing out how unusually responsive the reaction was.
Whether or not Mr. Harada was just being polite to his american audience or was simply not displaying the self-confidence and maturity you'd expect from a successful creative professional is up to the judgement of the audience.

Still a better reaction than anything Mr. Lucas has done in response to fan backlash, though.

Vigormortis:

"By the way, Are you "Western" only one bulletin board? [sic] Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you."

Heh. Fuck you too, Mr. Harada. Fuck you too.

:)

I cared nothing for the character(s), the game, nor the fan backlash. But this? This is insulting.

Was the NeoGaf thread childish? Oh yes. Very much so. However, Mr. Harada's Twitter response was far more childish. And if I may, bigoted.

So to hell with him and his game.

I see that more as him saying well if your all on one site then fine ill make you a character that fits your closed minded principles. in other words hes kinda making fun of the one twitter user who sent him only the neogaff thread link as doing so was unnecessary and rude.

SonOfVoorhees:
Surely its better to have more characters in a fighter instead of less characters? Ok, you may never want to choose Chloe as a character, doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to fight against her. I know consumer opinion can help a developer make a game better, but in this case, they should just make the game they wanted as a lot of people will lose the character due to a few negative arseholes. An how is that fair?

It's not the negative arseholes fault. This is literally a developer throwing a tantrum.

He created something, some people on some forum were like "lol, what you created was rubbish" and he's now trying to spite an entire continent in a hissy fit.

Hopefully he's got a higher up who actually behaves like an adult and tells him to suck it up and deal with the criticism.

EDIT: It's either that or the developer just doesn't know how seriously you're meant to treat people whinging on a forum and genuinely thinks he's offering a service because all Americans hate this character. I find that one harder to believe, but I'm a cynic

Mr. Harada should at least be consistent in his passive-aggresive annoyance and keep that outfit in the american release.

And put a seven feet skinhead steroid abuser into it.

One that constantly bemoans the lack of creativity and lazy fighting style of the other combatant.

Yes, because having a Panda, a Bear, a Cyborg generic soldier, a Boxing Kangaroo, a clone of Bruce Lee, aaaaand many others, are so MUCH original than this character.
Get real people. This is not the problem. The problem is because she is cute, it is not so manly for the HARDCORE players.
Also they don't want to get humiliated by this characters.

BareHope:
Mr. Harada should at least be consistent in his passive-aggresive annoyance and keep that outfit in the american release.

And put a seven feet skinhead steroid abuser into it.

One that constantly bemoans the lack of creativity and lazy fighting style of the other combantant.

Maybe Mr. Harada need to inject some "legal" steroids to Lucky Chloe and become something like this:

But yeah, I like muscular catgirls but not this kind

Ah, much better.

Really? The constant bitching about literally everything on neoGAF has now actually gotten content removed from a game. I really didn't think my dismal opinion of neoGAF could get any worse, and yet here we are.

So what's gonna happen if a European Chloe player connects to an American player or vice versa?

Version mismatch?

Also, this make no sense:
If the most American players hate her so much.......well, BEAT HER!!!
Do you find satisfaction beating muscular and attractive males all the time XD

I sure LOVE to beat characters I HATE so much. Like if there was a Final Fantasy Fighting game and had inside Vanille.......OOOOOOOOOOHHHH BBBBOY!!!!!!!
Buy the game
Select Training Mode
Select Fran [because in my game it have Fran]
Select for my opponent Vanille
R**E THE SH*T OUT OF HER AND HEAR HER SWEET SCREAM COMING INSIDE MY EARS!!!!

.......yes

SweetShark:

But yeah, I like muscular catgirls but not this kind

Ah, much better.

...Go on.

OT: My main gripe with this character is no the design but the fact that her moveset is but a mix of already existing ones (a bit of Xiaoyu, a bit of Christie, a lot of Lily).

As for Haradas reaction, I doubt that she will actually be excluded.

Neogaf is still a thing? I thought it went the way of the Myspace.

So some people on the internet were mean and criticized a game character's design, and the game developer's response was to insult them (I presume the 'skinhead' was meant to imply anyone complaining was racist, I guess?) and declare the character removed from the largest market for the game on the planet because... they were mean to him?

That doesn't sound terribly professional. Or mature. Or sane, really.

Moviebob thinks it's awesome and cool and totally rad, though:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/542410496641474560

"Everything about this story INFURIATES ME... except Harada's "skinhead" response. That RULES."

Today is a weird day.

Ctirad:

BareHope:

Except the customers in question were extremely vocal about not wanting the character in the game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.