Get SimCity 2000 For Free On PC Right Now!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Get SimCity 2000 For Free On PC Right Now!

simcity 2000 special edition

Grab one of the greatest city management simulators of all time for absolutely nothing.

So SimCity 2013 was many a gamer's first foray into the SimCity universe, a journey that left most who partook with a very sour taste in their mouths. But, before this most recent disaster, SimCity was the franchise that put the city-building genre on the map, with many beliving that SimCity 2000 was not only the absolute high point of the series, but the entire genre. Never played it? Well, now, thanks Origin's On The House program, it's yours. For free.

All you need to do is head over to the game's Origin page and click the "Get it now" button. You'll then be prompted to log in to your Origin account, after which, the game will be added to your account for free, where it will stay forever. It's the special edition of the game which means it comes with a few more bells and whistles than its original release, and has been updated to work on modern hardware.

This time around though, unlike its prior promotions, EA hasn't specifically stated when the free period on SimCity 2000 will end, so act fast!

Source: Origin

It's the MSDOS version that requires you to be on Origin in order to get it.

Any version that doesn't require me to get Origin?

Aweso-- Requires Origin... Nope.

EA doesn't deserve the money for pre-buyout Maxis games anyway.

Kajin:

GoG.com, I've had it for years.

Nurb:

What money? Their giving the game away for free. If you want a non origin copy then go to Gog and stop complaining over nothing.

Sad times when a game given out for free gets such responses.

Heh... the funny part is this made me go out and buy the game on GoG.
Nothing against Origin, just never installed it and I didn't want to deal with setting up an account, but this made me want to buy Sim City (it was on sale anyway).

I installed Origin just to try this. I kind of regret this decision. At least I didn't give EA any money.

RicoADF:

This news article gets such responses because EA doesn't deserve the bandwidth and memory necessary to download to install Origin in the first place, free game or not. EA won't even get the semblance of my business until they've cleaned up their act and learned how to make games that aren't shovelware.

Eh, I was giving up because you had to get an Origin account before it was cool.

Or, as Brian Blessed would say:

I WAS GIVING UP BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GET AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT BEFORE IT WAS COOL! FRESH HORSES, MY HAWKMEN! VAROONIK!

(Pasting that into word so as to use the uppercase function, and word knew that it was in bold)

I was pretty excited by this news, seeing as Sim City 2000 is one of my favorite games.
Too bad it requires Origin.

Another time then.

You can't make me forgive your annexation of one of my favorite developers this way EA.

Since I already caved and got Origin for Battlefield 1942, it was a no-brainer to jump at the chance to add this legendary game from my childhood, and without doubt the greatest city building simulator ever made.

So that's two games I have on Origin now, and still not a cent has gone to EA. Just how I like it.

RicoADF:

Kajin:

GoG.com, I've had it for years.

Nurb:

What money? Their giving the game away for free. If you want a non origin copy then go to Gog and stop complaining over nothing.

\
Its not "sad times" its exactly what they deserve. I feel more indignation when they try to bribe me with games that only remind me how shitty they've become as a publisher. Games that got the formula right but didn't have the graphics to deliver everything it wanted to deliver in one neat package. You buy a game today and you only get half the product you bought and get sold the rest again with DLC and thats assuming you can even play the game with all its rushed development bugs and server crashes for always on DRM that boots you from single player games. OH and lets not forget now its cool just to harass players in game to buy DLC while they're playing the game and "Reminding" them that they can connect to multiplayer to play with their friends. But thats all okay because people that play alone are lonely and stupid so they probably didn't understand they could play online when they saw the multiplayer options under the Single player one. FUCK All that shit. They deserve it.

Kajin:
This news article gets such responses because EA doesn't deserve the bandwidth and memory necessary to download to install Origin in the first place, free game or not. EA won't even get the semblance of my business until they've cleaned up their act and learned how to make games that aren't shovelware.

Origin works fine for me, that said:

Scorpid:
*SNIP*

I was actually thinking from the perspective of "how bad gaming has gotten for us all to be so cynical over something that's supposed to be good news". It's sad that gaming has gotten that bad that the fun has been taken out by the AAA's.

I'm finding it more enjoyable playing Commander: The Great War and am considering spending $40+ for the physical copy of Panzer Corps series, a price that I rarely am willing to pay for games now adays. AAA is just losing my interest.

Had it for several years now, thanks to GOG.

What I really want is my old hardcopy of the game manual. That was amazing. It was more than just a game manual: it was like philosophical treatise.

RicoADF:

Kajin:

Origin works fine for me, that said:

Scorpid:
*SNIP*

I was actually thinking from the perspective of "how bad gaming has gotten for us all to be so cynical over something that's supposed to be good news". It's sad that gaming has gotten that bad that the fun has been taken out by the AAA's.

I'm finding it more enjoyable playing Commander: The Great War and am considering spending $40+ for the physical copy of Panzer Corps series, a price that I rarely am willing to pay for games now adays. AAA is just losing my interest.

Yeah. >_> I agree with your sentiment. I have sunk more hours into minecraft and Paradox games then any other recent triple AAA release I can think of. They hold me for like 10-20 hours at best while on my CK2 I got like 300 hours sunk in and god knows how much in minecraft... (I don't want to think about it)

Well, might as well install Origin, I guess...

Nice. Been meaning to pick this up and now is the perfect time.

Redlin5:
I would rather pay GoG 3 times that games retail value than install Origin on my system and receive it for free.

You can't make me forgive your annexation of one of my favorite developers this way EA.

You do realise when you buy it on GOG they pay EA? GOG don't own the rights and are just a retail outlet.

Well, I got excited for a moment, but of course it was too good to be true. Maybe the title should be "Get SimCity 2000 for Free on Origin Right Now" instead, since you need that to get it.

I guess if I wanted it bad enough I would just go buy it anyways, no need to install Origin. Never a need for that.

albino boo:

Redlin5:
I would rather pay GoG 3 times that games retail value than install Origin on my system and receive it for free.

You do realise when you buy it on GOG they pay EA? GOG don't own the rights and are just a retail outlet.

*shrug*

Still no Origin.

Not that I need to anyway. I still have a laptop that runs the floppy drive copy I own. Point is f*ck EA.

Oh, fuck you people, seriously. Stop complaining about Origin, it's not nearly as horrible as it was back at launch and even has some edges over Steam (refunds anyone?). And it's leagues above Uplay, that's for sure. And they are giving free shit for everyone, so what are you complaining about? "Oh, stop saying that it's free, it requires origin, nyeh-nyeh-nyeh" - stop being so fucking bratty. I have no love for EA, but a freebie is a freebie.

Legendary game, but I really can't play it anymore. Simcity 4 is basically the best evolution of the game.

RicoADF:

Nurb:

Before laying down the righteous beatdown try to understand what he's saying. See that underlined part? He's referring to the fact that they're giving the game away, when he states that they don't deserve money for it.

I must have put hundreds of hours into that game as a kid. I honestly consider it a seminal piece as far as modern games and game design goes.

I'd jump right on this if I had Origin installed on my PC but I femoved that program with prejudice after I finished with BF4.

I still have the original on its original CD. I'll just dig that up and install it without the silly always online DRM program.

If you're not going to download it why even comment on the article? Cool, you hate EA and Origin. It just seems odd to comment on something when you're not going take advantage of it.

Was 2k better than 3k?
Basically question is- should I sell my soul to satan and install Origin, or should I pull cd of 3k and install that instead.

blackrave:
Was 2k better than 3k?
Basically question is- should I sell my soul to satan and install Origin, or should I pull cd of 3k and install that instead.

I personally like 3k over 2k. It has quiet a few improvements that make it hard to go back. I own 2k, 3k and 4 for the record, and spend my weekend playing 4.

No thank you, EA. Still got my installer CD. Works fine for me. :D

To Everyone complaining that it needs Origin.

Honestly people cheer up.

It's a free game if this was any other retail service you would be cheering like mad.

*double-checks GOG library* Sweet, already got it! Saves me crossing paths with EA.

thaluikhain:
Eh, I was giving up because you had to get an Origin account before it was cool.

Or, as Brian Blessed would say:

I WAS GIVING UP BECAUSE YOU HAD TO GET AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT BEFORE IT WAS COOL! FRESH HORSES, MY HAWKMEN! VAROONIK!

(Pasting that into word so as to use the uppercase function, and word knew that it was in bold)

We ride at once to rebellious Stoke, where it is my sworn intent to approach the city walls, bare my broad buttocks and shout "BEHOLD! I honour thee most highly!"

Bat Vader:
If you're not going to download it why even comment on the article? Cool, you hate EA and Origin. It just seems odd to comment on something when you're not going take advantage of it.

Simply because for those people "requires origin" doesn't equal "free". It certainly doesn't for me, I can tell you that much.

Honestly they give it away 100% free, on your account forever.
Yet people cry about it like they're 5 years old or something.

It amuses me that people are attacking EA for doing literally nothing wrong.

VanQ:
I'll just dig that up and install it without the silly always online DRM program.

Ironically I have found Origin's offline mode to work better than Steams.
I travel a lot with my laptop and Origin's offline has ALWAYS worked for me, Steam work's like 50% of the time.

RealRT:
Oh, fuck you people, seriously. Stop complaining about Origin, it's not nearly as horrible as it was back at launch and even has some edges over Steam (refunds anyone?). And it's leagues above Uplay, that's for sure. And they are giving free shit for everyone, so what are you complaining about? "Oh, stop saying that it's free, it requires origin, nyeh-nyeh-nyeh" - stop being so fucking bratty. I have no love for EA, but a freebie is a freebie.

Thanks you said what I was thinking.

It's stupid how people bitch over a free game.

While I own a physical copy and one on steam I got no problams taking a 3rd copy.

Wow I got 4 free games from EA this week only 1 of them I care about but it's nice to get free stuff from time to time.

Gameguy20100:
To Everyone complaining that it needs Origin.

Honestly people cheer up.

It's a free game if this was any other retail service you would be cheering like mad.

If it was any other bloatware (steam) I may have gone 'meh' instead of 'nah'.

If it takes you 5 minutes of time (time = money) and your emailaddress to register (along with another 5 minutes later on to un-subscribe from unsollicited weekly newsletters) it makes the game feel a lot more expensive than 'free'.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here