Saruman Demands that You Listen to His Heavy Metal Christmas Carol

Saruman Demands that You Listen to His Heavy Metal Christmas Carol

Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing is Count Dooku's jolly tune for this Christmas season.

If you've kept Sir Christopher Lee on your radar at all these past few years, you'll know he is a servant to our darkest of heavy metal gods. But the man has a jovial side as well, as evidenced by his metal as hell Christmas carols.

For the third holiday season in a row, Lee has a new single out. Titled Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing, the YouTube video up top has a preview of the tune (skip to the 1:40 mark, or be cool and listen to all the snippets from past work).

Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing is a unique take on the Christmas classic Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, which everyone has had to sing for their grandparents at least once in their youth.

"It's light-hearted, joyful and fun," said Lee to MetalNewz. "It's a band singing on how metal should be played, the effect it has on the band and its listeners."

The 92-year-old British actor, perhaps most famous for his role as Saruman in Lord of the Rings has had success with his holiday tunes before; last year his single Jingle Hell peaked at No. 18 on Billboard's Hot Singles Sales chart.

It's no wonder Sir Christopher has played some of the best villains of all time.

Source: YouTube

92 years old and rocking the metal scene... shows that one is never too old to know how to rock.

I just voted for this in my school's Christmas song playlist thing.

I hope to be met with a surprise next week :D

Christopher Lee is so damn cool! :)

Not only has Sir Christopher played some of the best villains of all time, but his also a trained operatic base singer and before that he spent years with the SAS and SOE in France and Italy. Taking up a fourth carer in your late 80s as a heavy metal singer is just about what you would expect

Imperioratorex Caprae:
92 years old and rocking the metal scene... shows that one is never too old to know how to rock.

He sure knows how to get funky.

This is just so many kinds of awful.... good on him for still keeping busy in his old age but my god, this hurts my ears. It's the blandest most derivative metal imaginable with him talking over it. His singing days are long since gone.

It's like he's genetically incapable of being anything but awesome, huh?

Good on Christopher Lee!

Looks like even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous.

No one has ever been able to tell him that he hasn't lived his life to the max. Christopher Lee is about as cool as any human being can be, going on 93 years now.

On a scale of Awesome to Epic, this is genius.

Now I'm not gonna lie, this music is solid but not excellent, and I don't like it all. That being said, this man is definitely one of the more impressive and admirable men of our time. 92 years old and still going strong in a metal career, which he picked up after becoming the most prolific actor in recorded history (and a number of the most famous villains in recent memory,) and even that was after being one of the top Allied commandos in the biggest war in history.

If this man winds up on the mars mission and delivers a quote to shame Neil Armstrong upon being the first man to set foot on the red planet (and simultaneously the oldest man alive), I wouldn't be surprised.

Why use Saruman in the headline wouldn't Dracula work better for the joke?

Only Scaramanga could rock this hard...

killerbee256:
Why use Saruman in the headline wouldn't Dracula work better for the joke?

Not really. While I'm sure there is some metal out there that's themed around vampires, in general, metal seems to have a much greater occultic theme. And Saruman was a sorcerer who sided with a force of great evil.

Come, come, Mr. Bond, you disappoint me. You get as much fulfillment out of Christmas Carols as I do, so why don't you admit it?

It probably would be more awesome if the singer and the other musicians had kept the same pace. Or melody.

Devin Connors:
...perhaps most famous for his role as Saruman in Lord of the Rings...

Really? I'd have thought Dracula (7 or 8 movies for Hammer from the 50's to the 70's) or Scaramanga in The Man with the Golden Gun would have greater recognition, but maybe I'm just showing my age...

I got to be honest here, the first two song snippets in the video are absolutely terrible. The pacing of the music of the music and singing is completely out of sync. Even though I appreciate the effort, the result is still awful.

The newer songs seem to be decent though. Not my cup of tea, but I'd still say they're ok.

And I'm saying this as a Rock/Metal-fan that really loves combinations of Rock/Metal and different music styles (see Babymetal for example or Celldweller)

He's the ONLY reason why I watched The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars II and Star Wars III films and the only metal artist I would listen too.

Saruman singing metal Christmas carols? IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

(Also, I've been looking for an excuse to use that Metalocalypse clip, and this was just too perfect)

What an awesome guy. I could only dream of being this awesome in old age.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.